• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

It would need a bigger TV deal in order to balance out all of the money Lucha Underground apparently burns through though.

I fully believe that the American wrestling industry is open for the taking but the problem is nobody serious wants to step up and challenge Vince. WWE feels like they're basically in a New Generation-era slump, it's just that there's no WCW to balance it out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not that Vince/WWE aren't capable of being toppled and replaced in America as #1, it's that it'll take someone who's rich and smart, and the people who are rich and smart stay away from wrestling in 2015

Someone on here said it best - no one smart gets into pro wrestling

yo

INZT4WG.gif

Going to the house show in Vancouver this weekend, friends.

Any idea where I can find a card for the event? Or even a list of superstars? The "featured superstars" on the WWE website lists around seven performers, one of which is Ziggler, so I'd imagine it's woefully out of date
The abbotsford house show I went to had the card emailed to us although it was only half the card it's something.
when we were lined up was easy to see who else was there because everyone in line was talking about who arrived

But Xavier man!

Anyhow, incredibly smart people do idiotic shit daily.

There's idiotic shit and then there's the shit that regularly happens in wrestling companies like WCW (see forking over millions for bands and talent you don't even have appear), ECW (see Heyman bolting and filming fucking Rollerball the week people find out they're bankrupt), TNA (see LOLTNA wiki)

Sephzilla

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not that Vince/WWE aren't capable of being toppled and replaced in America as #1, it's that it'll take someone who's rich and smart, and the people who are rich and smart stay away from wrestling in 2015

Isn't there still good money to make in professional wrestling? Between TV deals, merchandise, PPV deals, and sponsorships someone could make good money.

Like I want you to think - seriously think - if someone had Ted Turner money, what possible incentive would someone have to start a professional wrestling company anytime soon.

Hell I'm surprised there are people who still want to be pro wrestlers, although personally I think that well is going to run dry eventually.

Sephzilla

Like I want you to think - seriously think - if someone had Ted Turner money, what possible incentive would someone have to start a professional wrestling company anytime soon.

Hell I'm surprised there are people who still want to be pro wrestlers, although personally I think that well is going to run dry eventually.

Even rich smart people invest money in some weird things. Rich people can also have massive egos.

jmdajr

Man guys too many fallen wrestlers lately. Very sad :(

First Wrestlemania I ever watched was 6

These dudes from the event are now dead.

Andre the Giant (46), Earthquake(42), Hercules(47), Mr. Perfect (44), Roddy Piper (61), Bad News Brown (63), Dusty Rhodes (69), Randy Savage (58), Miss Elizabeth (42), Sherri (49) Dino Bravo (44), Big Boss Man (41), Rick Rude (40), Warrior (54)

Isn't there still good money to make in professional wrestling? Between TV deals, merchandise, PPV deals, and sponsorships someone could make good money.

Reminder that the last time WWE was near being a free agent, the best they could do was crawling back to USA, losing Superstars and Main Event on national TV, and gaining fucking Tough Enough which has been a massive bust ever since

Again, the number one wrestling company in the US, and that's the best they could pull off. That isn't even counting the ones below them, like ROH (had to be bought by a TV company once or twice just to air [HDNet and Sinclair]), TNA (kicked off two TV stations in a year now), Lucha Underground (currently on a massive-failing station barely anyone gets, and so far nobody else wants them because they know it'd be a loss), and Chikara (airing on Youtube for another month because even they acknowledge it's a niche at best and just hoping they get some regular new viewers/fans/ChikaraTopia buyers out of the endeavor)

jmdajr

There's idiotic shit and then there's the shit that regularly happens in wrestling companies like WCW (see forking over millions for bands and talent you don't even have appear), ECW (see Heyman bolting and filming fucking Rollerball the week people find out they're bankrupt), TNA (see LOLTNA wiki)

I was more taking about talent. But sure as far as running a company where supposedly more intelligent people come from. Yes. It's Baffling.

Sephzilla

Reminder that the last time WWE was near being a free agent, the best they could do was crawling back to USA, losing Superstars and Main Event on national TV, and gaining fucking Tough Enough which has been a massive bust ever since

Again, the number one wrestling company in the US, and that's the best they could pull off. That isn't even counting the ones below them, like ROH (had to be bought by a TV company once or twice just to air [HDNet and Sinclair]), TNA (kicked off two TV stations in a year now), Lucha Underground (currently on a massive-failing station barely anyone gets, and so far nobody else wants them because they know it'd be a loss), and Chikara (airing on Youtube for another month because even they acknowledge it's a niche at best and just hoping they get some regular new viewers/fans/ChikaraTopia buyers out of the endeavor)

Vince's expectations for the new TV deal were through the roof. And honestly I think he would have gotten a better TV deal had they not revealed WWE Network beforehand.

Kaladin

Vince's expectations for the new TV deal were through the roof. And honestly I think he would have gotten a better TV deal had they not revealed WWE Network beforehand.

Yeah, revealing their hand with the network killed any negotiating power they could have had.

No one wants to negotiate with an entity that has their own platform use as a negotiation tactic unless they're a major sports league.

It would only happen if they're a fan....but we know how that goes.

vHPwl.gif

Are you forgetting how TNA was formed bruh?

The concept of TNA originated shortly after World Championship Wrestling (WCW) ended in 2001. Bob Ryder, Jeff Jarrett, and Jerry Jarrett went on a fishing trip and contemplated their futures in the sport of wrestling. Only one wrestling product remained on U.S. national television: the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). Ryder felt that this situation led many television stations to regard wrestling as bad for business; he suggested a company not reliant on television, but rather one going straight to pay-per-view.

The Jarretts found the financial backing they needed, and the company put on its first show on June 19, 2002. That night, however, in a dark match just before they went on the air, a 450 lb wrestler named Cheex hit the ropes with so much force that one of them broke. The estimated repair time was 30–60 minutes, which they did not have because the schedule called for them to go live in a few minutes, whether the ring was ready or not. Backstage, the producers shuffled the schedule so that some non-wrestling segments went first to give the ring crew some more time, but they did not have many of them. The ring crew fixed the rope with the help of Ron and Don Harris, and everyone went live hoping for the best.

jmdajr

Yeah, revealing their hand with the network killed any negotiating power they could have had.

No one wants to negotiate with an entity that has their own platform use as a negotiation tactic unless they're a major sports league.

But if he did it the other way, would USA been so pissed it would have backed out completely?

Hey guys who F'd up on the should of been three count after reverse pedigree pin during the Neville/Rollins match? Ref botch it sick.

Other wise great match

Sephzilla

But if he did it the other way, would USA been so pissed I would have backed out completely?

Not if there wasn't some fine print that specifically got them out of the deal because of that. Revealing WWE Network before their contract was up really killed their TV deal leverage.

Kaladin

But if he did it the other way, would USA been so pissed I would have backed out completely?

Doubt it, Raw is still a ratings king. Even with the range they usually get now. USA would be hard pressed to find something that is either a free agent or in their own wheelhouse that could replace those numbers.

Maybe if they had somehow managed to get on a major network, then I could see them not being as happy about it, but still....Raw is consistent ratings.

Zach

Are you forgetting how TNA was formed bruh?

This post made me look up TNA's first PPV.

• Dark Match: Cheex defeated Frank Parker
  • Dark Match: Apolo defeated David Young
  • Jorge Estrada, Sonny Siaki, and Jimmy Yang defeated A.J. Styles, Jerry Lynn, and Low Ki (6:20) after Yang floored Styles with a Missile Dropkick to the back and then followed with Yang Time (Twisting Moonsault) and pinned.
  • Teo defeated Hollywood (2:48) after Teo planted Hollywood with a Side Russian Leg Sweep and followed with a Top Rope Twisting Senton and pinned.
  • Ed Ferrara & Don West introduced all of the competitors for next weeks Lingerie Battle Royal, leading to Francine and Alektra getting into a Cat Fight.
  • The Johnsons (Richard and Rod) (w/Montimer Plumtree) defeated Psicosis and James Storm (4:52) after Plumtree distracted Storm and allowed Rod to hit a TKO on Storm and pin.
  • Hermie Sadler and Jeremy Mayfield were being interviewed by Jeremy Borash, but they were interrupted by K-Krush, who came out and cut a promo on the NASCAR stars. This lead to "Grandmaster Sexay" Brian Christopher coming to their aid.
  • The Dupps (Bo and Stan) (w/Fluff) defeated Christian York and Joey Matthews (3:41) after York went to the Top Turnbuckle to finish off Bo, but Fluff interfered and crotched York on the Top and allowed Bo to pin York.
  • Toby Klein was introduced and performed "Courtesy Of The Red, White and Blue," but was interrupted by Jeff Jarrett, who was making his way to the ring as the #1 entrant in The Gauntlet For The Gold.
  • Ken Shamrock & Malice defeated Brian Christopher, Bruce, Buff Bagwell, Chris Harris, Del Rios, Devon Storm, Gran Apolo, Jeff Jarrett, Justice, K-Krush, Konnan, Lash LeRoux, Norman Smiley, Rick Steiner, Scott Hall, Slash, Steve Corino, The Vampire Warrior in a Gauntlet For The Gold Battle Royal (30:56)
  • Ken Shamrock defeated Malice (w/ James Mitchell) (w/ Ricky Steamboat as special guest referee) to win the vacant NWA World Heavyweight Championship (5:47) after Shamrock broke Malice's Chokeslam and executed a Belly to Belly Suplex and pinned

...how does TNA still exist?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On a positive but not positive note, Galak-Z plays incredibly well.
But the structure of the levels is stupid and feels like whoever went with it just thought 'well Dark Souls is popular so let's do that'

DMczaf

Ever since the mods removed carny talk from my American Gladiators thread, reply rate has dropped dramatically.

#WrasslinSells

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I can't imagine this is actually true. The stereotype about wrestling fans is mostly just....true.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is still good money in wrestling, you got be dumb and rich enough to do it.

You're telling me these promotions running events at the local masonic temple are making good money? Like good-good or carny-good?

Angry Grimace

Carny good, or at least enough to make a decent living.

Yeah, but see, if you're already rich, you probably have more lucrative operations than one that only makes carny-good money.

Top Bottom