• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I legitimately can't tell if you are gimmick posting or if you're really that bitter about NXT/WWE. You act like HHH and Vince personally shit in your cheerios and anytime something other than WWE manages to do something that doesn't equate to fucking up, you act like it's the next big thing to happen to professional wrestling.

15453%20-%20Raw%20alberto_del_rio%20cm_punk%20dolph_ziggler%20facepalm%20gif%20hunter_hearst_helmsley%20laughing%20mick_foley%20microphone%20referee%20smiling%20stephanie_mcmahon%20suit%20wwe.gif

Kaladin

I like how this new reversal system is probably their way of dealing with their shit online, as lag played a huge role in the timing and prompts being botched by the player. Why not just get a better netcode? The online for these games have been so shit.

One of the new features listed in that IGN is that online is being overhauled.

That seems to be on the feature list every year though.

I can't even connect to a match most of the time in 2k15 on PS4.

Sephzilla

It will be overhauled the same way MLB The Show's online is overhauled every year

I absolutely hate how fucking lazy they are with Finn's entrance - it's not the sort of thing a mainstream crowd's going to buy just "because it looks cool", it needs some significance. It needs to be saved for a heated ending to a blood feud, for giving a match that Big Fight Feel, not something that's trotted out at every PPV. Mutoh didn't bring out Muta without reason, but 'The Demon' seems to take over Finn Balor simply because it's a network special.

Yeah, I agree. Balor shouldn't be busting out The Demon for #1 contenders matches. That shit should be stuff he busts out maybe 2 or 3 times a year. But Vince will make sure it's once every PPV to get that merch money.

I absolutely hate how fucking lazy they are with Finn's entrance - it's not the sort of thing a mainstream crowd's going to buy just "because it looks cool", it needs some significance. It needs to be saved for a heated ending to a blood feud, for giving a match that Big Fight Feel, not something that's trotted out at every PPV. Mutoh didn't bring out Muta without reason, but 'The Demon' seems to take over Finn Balor simply because it's a network special.

Kaladin

The Demon should be as rare as Rey Mysterio's superhero entrances, or Triple H's or Undertaker's Mania entrances.

Those things are special occasion deals.....and treated as such.

Though, maybe...and just maybe....he could work some aspects of the entrance into his regular thing somehow and still get that demon pop without donning the full war paint.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WWE knows nothing about restraint. They never have. You should know that. The only reason Brock works is due to his contract. If they could have him every week, they would.

I think the issue we have with NXT as it relates to WWE is the WWE's complete inability to write a character and booking around it.

What is Neville's character? What the fuck do they mean when they mention that he's "ushering in the Altitude Era?" Is he starting a revolution focused around high flyers? No, it's something to stick on a shirt.

I don't like Owens, but he isn't being protected AT ALL. He's being paired up with guys that look more impressive than he does, and looks week everytime. I thought he was a tough bully, but apparently he owns "all of the Miz's movies on blu-ray."

It's been said before, but Finn's "demon" persona is completely undercooked. We know when it's coming, and it's not like he wrestles any differently with it.

They removed any story around Emma, and now the female NXT call-ups are being wasted away to further the Paige/Bella feud.

RP912

Banned
Eh...I don't mind the new chain system. Last year's system was actually ok even though it was on the bare bone side. Anything to make a match seem natural than grapple and slam.

The Demon should be as rare as Rey Mysterio's superhero entrances, or Triple H's or Undertaker's Mania entrances.

Those things are special occasion deals.....and treated as such.

Though, maybe...and just maybe....he could work some aspects of the entrance into his regular thing somehow and still get that demon pop without donning the full war paint.

I agree. Treat it as a "special form" if you will. Like for a really intense feud, not throwaway episodes of raw or smackdown. When he has to defend his title, basically, when he's backed into a corner and his opponent has him beat.

That way, you can create a bit of "Finn has been beaten before, but the demon hasn't!" and when he inevitably gets defeated while in Demon paint, you can just work a story around him looking for something stronger, questioning his own abilities etc; there's CHARACTER and it's got a ton of cheesy wrestling story potential and I love it.

It'll never get fixed.

Kaladin

I think the issue we have with NXT as it relates to WWE is the WWE's complete inability to write a character and booking around it.

What is Neville's character? What the fuck do they mean when they mention that he's "ushering in the Altitude Era?" Is he starting a revolution focused around high flyers? No, it's something to stick on a shirt.

I don't like Owens, but he isn't being protected AT ALL. He's being paired up with guys that look more impressive than he does, and looks week everytime. I thought he was a tough bully, but apparently he owns "all of the Miz's movies on blu-ray."

It's been said before, but Finn's "demon" persona is completely undercooked. We know when it's coming, and it's not like he wrestles any differently with it.

They removed any story around Emma, and now the female NXT call-ups are being wasted away to further the Paige/Bella feud.

That's one thing they got right back in the day. Mankind was a character and you knew what he was about....same with Kane, Stone Cold or anyone else.

Wrestlers had defined personalities, motives and those things were protected and didn't change.

Now they start a wrestler off with the basics of a personality, but by his second or third feud he looses that protection and he's just another guy. Any resemblance of long term character development WWE once had is gone.

RP912

Banned
NXT needs to be a different branch, rather than having shades of FCW. You have the roster, you have the audience, and the tour dates. Treat the promotion like an alternate to the mainstream appeal of the WWE. Honestly, I'm over the NXT hype and it will never come back. Once I found out that it's just a indy wrestling on casual mode...I gave up on it.

It boggles the mind that WWE has Heyman in its employ and doesn't know about booking around characters.

Hey guys, maybe he's not great with the financials, but I think the guy who ran ECW knows a little something about hiding weaknesses and emphasizing strengths.

somedevil

Raw Viewership for 8/3:

8pm: 3.739
9pm: 3.685
10pm: 3.671

Avg: 3.697

Basically 8pm being highest because of Piper but the viewership was consistent through out the show.

4 million viewership seems to be only get able now if you include dvr numbers.

Sephzilla

It boggles the mind that WWE has Heyman in its employ and doesn't know about booking around characters.

Hey guys, maybe he's not great with the financials, but I think the guy who ran ECW knows a little something about hiding weaknesses and emphasizing strengths.

I dont think Heyman wants to be involved in WWE booking/creative anymore and just wants to be a character. He apparently butted heads with Vince a ton when he was running Smackdown

RP912

Banned

Hey guys, maybe he's not great the financials, but I think the guy who ran ECW knows a little something about hiding weaknesses and emphasizing strengths.

You would think that they would let Heyman takeover NXT *no pun* to push the promotion to new levels. Right now I don't see anything appealing about the show at all. Somoa Joe flopped, Balor is on the verge of getting called up, Enzo/Cass are surviving, Neville is on Raw, Owens is on Raw, Sami and Hideo are on the shelf. It's just all around meh down in Full Sail.

klonere

Banned
I dont think Heyman wants to be involved in WWE booking/creative anymore and just wants to be a character. He apparently butted heads with Vince a ton when he was running Smackdown

After reading/hearing about the post December to Dismember plane ride with Vince and Heyman, its a minor miracle that he's even working with the WWE.

Fucking Vince.

somedevil

NXT needs to be a different branch, rather than having shades of FCW. You have the roster, you have the audience, and the tour dates. Treat the promotion like an alternate to the mainstream appeal of the WWE. Honestly, I'm over the NXT hype and it will never come back. Once I found out that it's just a indy wrestling on casual mode...I gave up on it.

What do you mean by this because a lot of fans treat this promotion as an alternate to the WWE?

I mean its only 1000 tickets away from a sale out in Brooklyn.

Kaladin

The perfect example of how WWE is out of touch, is NXT. They see how hot the brand is, and how it's getting big. But it's not getting big on the backs of it being developmental with amazing matches.

It's getting big on the back of it being a place where all of these great wrestlers who could either be indie names or guys that WWE built up have great matches.

You take the wrestlers away from NXT, the hype goes away.

They do call people up to the main roster waaay too soon. Sure these guys are mid-30s, but they shouldn't be going to the main roster till there is nothing left to do for them in NXT....not right in the middle of a main event level feud.

I feel like they should bring back the draft for NXT. Have representatives from The Authority or whoever the GM is at the time scoping out NXT for top prospects and sign a couple people who are ready. As it stands the NXT roster just gets gutted as it gets hot.

RP912

Banned
What do you mean by this because a lot of fans treat this promotion as an alternate to the WWE?

I mean its only 1000 tickets away from a sale out in Brooklyn.

I'm saying that WWE is still treating the promotion like FCW. Stop calling up some of the guys too soon and making them look weak because there's no ideal way of booking a newcomer in 2015.

jmdajr

I'm not sure why it had such a delayed effect on me but Roddy's death finally sunk in for me :(

Feel same. Felt the sadness when the tribute kicked in. Big fan growing up especially during prime time wrestling era. Sure that was good guy rowdy but I knew more of him that way then heel piper.

I will never forget him attacking Bobby Heenan when he said Santa wasn't real.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
WWE knows nothing about restraint. They never have. You should know that. The only reason Brock works is due to his contract. If they could have him every week, they would.

The idea of Brock in a 6 man tag team that's happening for no real reason is pretty funny tho

Sephzilla

The perfect example of how WWE is out of touch, is NXT. They see how hot the brand is, and how it's getting big. But it's not getting big on the backs of it being developmental with amazing matches.

It's getting big on the back of it being a place where all of these great wrestlers who could either be indie names or guys that WWE built up have great matches.

They do call people up to the main roster waaay too soon. Sure these guys are mid-30s, but they shouldn't be going to the main roster till there is nothing left to do for them in NXT....not right in the middle of a main event level feud.

I feel like they should bring back the draft for NXT. Have representatives from The Authority or whoever the GM is at the time scoping out NXT for top prospects and sign a couple people who are ready. As it stands the NXT roster just gets gutted as it gets hot.

And the NXT champion shouldn't be going to the main roster to job to John Cena

After reading/hearing about the post December to Dismember plane ride with Vince and Heyman, its a minor miracle that he's even working with the WWE.

Fucking Vince.

I am gonna need you to share what you have read, I always thought there blow up was during the ppv. Color me intrigued!

Tenay's now part of the CBS Radio family and will release his own podcast through Play.IT later this week.

Tenay's show is called "Professor Vegas" and will feature him talking about sports betting. He will be interviewing bookies, people who come up with point spreads and other personalities from the Las Vegas sports betting scene.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tenay's now part of the CBS Radio family and will release his own podcast through Play.IT later this week.

Tenay's show is called "Professor Vegas" and will feature him talking about sports betting. He will be interviewing bookies, people who come up with point spreads and other personalities from the Las Vegas sports betting scene.

Didn't know he was into that stuff.

Good for him getting out of this carny business.

klonere

Banned

I'm saying that WWE is still treating the promotion like FCW. Stop calling up some of the guys too soon and making them look weak because there's no ideal way of booking a newcomer in 2015.

Its funny, on the last Powerbombcast (post Mania) Jeff Gerstmann mentioned how he couldn't get into NXT cos he couldn't see the endgame in getting people ready for Raw. Not only was there no formal coming up process but NXT peeps are being taught the wrong skills for the main roster - less emphasis on scripted promos, feuds being very basic in their construction (contrast Neville's feud with Zayn with whatever is happening with Stardust now) and the in ring style being very different.

In the end everyone concluded that you have to enjoy NXT for what it is and pray that your favorite doesn't get called up and mishandled. The women's callup has been directionless trash that was apparently the idea of a heel authority figure. Every other callup has been hot on arrival into a tail spin of just being another midcard nobody. Raw and Network have gone out of my life after less than a year - I'm that new fan that they need to be hooking and they managed to get around €40.00 out of me in that time lmao.

Brock Taker is going to suck dick.

Sephzilla

Indeed. I seriously think if there was a promotion that had Billionaire Ted's paychecks...you would see a difference in the current roster...especially a certain scruffy bearded man.

I don't even think you need Billionaire Ted money in order to compete with Vince. You do need someone with a lot of cash, obviously, but you also need someone who's more in touch with what current fans want and also knows how to run a company halfway decently.

Translation, the reason WWE doesn't have any competition is because the only people trying to start up rival promotions are Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett - two people who have demonstrated that they don't have a fucking clue how to run a promotion.

klonere

Banned
I am gonna need you to share what you have read, I always thought there blow up was during the ppv. Color me intrigued!

If you have the Network there is a bit on it during the Heyman documentary.

Here's a reasonable break-down of it: http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2006/12/05/2637848.html

Basically, Vince came into ECW and started booking stuff over Heyman's head - they just couldn't work together at all and compromise which lead to Vince steamrolling over stuff. This all culminated in the Decemember to Dismember PPV which was incredibly poorly booked despite an actually quite good Chamber match. I believe it was the worst selling PPV of the pre Network era.

Kaladin

I don't even think you need Billionaire Ted money in order to compete with Vince. You do need someone with a lot of cash, obviously, but you also need someone who's more in touch with what current fans want and also knows how to run a company halfway decently.

AKA - The reason WWE doesn't have any competition is because the only people trying to start up rival promotions are Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett.

Lucha Underground would be a serious threat if it were on a serious TV channel.

Sephzilla

Lucha Underground would be a serious threat if it were on a serious TV channel.

It would need a bigger TV deal in order to balance out all of the money Lucha Underground apparently burns through though.

I fully believe that the American wrestling industry is open for the taking but the problem is nobody serious wants to step up and challenge Vince. WWE feels like they're basically in a New Generation-era slump, it's just that there's no WCW to balance it out.

RP912

Banned

AKA - The reason WWE doesn't have any competition is because the only people trying to start up rival promotions are Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett.

Ted had a huge network, plus Bischoff that pretty much took those chances to make WCW what it was during the time. Lets face it, Professional Wrestling isn't on the radar of investors...especially Sinclair who treats ROH like it's just another investment. If Jarrett/Dixie had a network backing them up with an investor that doesn't give a fuck about spending their money...it'll be game time.

Sephzilla

Ted had a huge network, plus Bischoff that pretty much took those chances to make WCW what it was during the time. Lets face it, Professional Wrestling isn't on the radar of investors...especially Sinclair who treats ROH like it's just another investment. If Jarrett/Dixie had a network backing them up with an investor that doesn't give a fuck about spending their money...it'll be game time.

I wish Bischoff would have been able to snap up WCW when it was for sale. I fully believe Vince sabotaged that deal somehow.

Kaladin

It would need a bigger TV deal in order to balance out all of the money Lucha Underground apparently burns through though.

I fully believe that the American wrestling industry is open for the taking but the problem is nobody serious wants to step up and challenge Vince.

Mark Burnett is a partial owner of LU, right?

I'm surprised CBS or any of the major networks aren't interested in picking up one of his shows.

klonere

Banned
Just like non-chart music scenes its all going to devolve into a lot of small organizations running shit in small venues for small, dedicated crowds, no one is going to make any money and everyone is going to have day jobs.

That's how modern creative mediums work apparently.

Top Bottom