• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT2| Bummed Boys Bashing Big Balls By Beach-shore

somedevil

Since the brand split, Smackdown has lost Ambrose, Miz, Cena and Bray aka everyone who draws an audience (and also Bray Wyatt). Not counting Kane and Del Rio.

They won New Day. Creative has beautifully enough no idea what to do with them besides their feud with the Usos being over.

Its kind of amazing.

Kinda of funny you posted this after they did the largest viewership since April

Coming on the heels of SummerSlam, SmackDown had its biggest audience since April's roster shakeup episode, coming in at 2.685 million viewers. That was up six percent from last week.

It was a stronger than usual night for cable TV viewership as, despite that high number, SmackDown was only sixth on cable, trailing news shows on CNN and Fox News. It was first in the 18-49 demo with a very strong 0.87 rating.

Definitely a more interesting card than Summerslam. No blank space that needs filling
image.php

3202977_o.gif

Tonight's LU was a pretty average show considering it was the payoff for the last 2 months or so. Disappointing really. The shenanigans at the end were fun and all but it just felt like another episode, not the big event it should've been.

I guess they're holding back since Ultima Lucha 3 isn't that far off. But this just reminded me that Season 3 is trying it's best to be Season 1 again, but just can't do it.

I thought Johnny Mundo left AAA?

I have no fucking idea what's going on anymore.

Ultratech

It was either a work or he agreed to have his last day/drop the belt at TripleMania

Something like that.

I'm definitely learning more towards a work, but nobody seems to be sure.

Tonight's LU was a pretty average show considering it was the payoff for the last 2 months or so. Disappointing really. The shenanigans at the end were fun and all but it just felt like another episode, not the big event it should've been.

I guess they're holding back since Ultima Lucha 3 isn't that far off. But this just reminded me that Season 3 is trying it's best to be Season 1 again, but just can't do it.

Really seems like they've just been spinning their wheels for S3 so far.

Not a whole lot has really gone down (bar some revelations here and there).

And that stupid-ass hiatus they had in the middle of the Season really did not help things at all.

Yeaaap, this is exactly why I bailed mid-way into Season 2. Everything felt like it was just episode after episode until they did a big match then back into the cycle.

WWE is so idiotic. They don't look below surface level for problems with their shows or performers.

"Roman wins a lot and gets a negative reaction? Well obviously if we have him lose a lot people will love him!"

No you idiots, the story is bad. It was always bad and continues to be bad. The problem wasn't him winning all the time, it was that he was a bland character who had mixed motivations and never felt compelling, so him constantly winning felt manufactured and unenjoyable. Now he's losing all the time, but the story around him remains subpar, so nothing is going to improve from a reaction perspective.

Like look at Asuka. She wins all the time and she's loved for it. Because more often than not, the stories told with her are enjoyable and compelling.

People will react positively to a good story. They'll react negatively to a bad one. It's that simple. But WWE will never admit their stories are bad, because that requires a hell of a lot more introspection and effort to fix than just changing who wins and loses.

WWE is so idiotic. They don't look below surface level for problems with their shows or performers.

"Roman wins a lot and gets a negative reaction? Well obviously if we have him lose a lot people will love him!"

No you idiots, the story is bad. It was always bad and continues to be bad. The problem wasn't him winning all the time, it was that he was a bland character who had mixed motivations and never felt compelling, so him constantly winning felt manufactured and unenjoyable. Now he's losing all the time, but the story around him remains subpar, so nothing is going to improve from a reaction perspective.

Like look at Asuka. She wins all the time and she's loved for it. Because more often than not, the stories told with her are enjoyable and compelling.

People will react positively to a good story. They'll react negatively to a bad one. It's that simple. But WWE will never admit their stories are bad, because that requires a hell of a lot more introspection and effort to fix than just changing who wins and loses.

I'm 34, and while I love seeing really good wrestling, the reason I watch WWE is for the story. I know they're all in safe mode, and I can respect the reasons why, but WWE's wrestling doesn't cover them doing weak stories.

Maybe it's different for different generations, but that's the glaring weakness I see with them.

Maybe you shouldn’t put much value in some random ass tweet from Meltzer.

I'm 34, and while I love seeing really good wrestling, the reason I watch WWE is for the story. I know they're all in safe mode, and I can respect the reasons why, but WWE's wrestling doesn't cover them doing weak stories.

Maybe it's different for different generations, but that's the glaring weakness I see with them.

If you grew up watching in the 80s/90s it was all about story. People just use athleticism/work rate as a defense for a bad product. Fortunate for us we have a solid story in the Brock/Joe/Roman/Braun angle. Bigger problem is they blow their payoff b/c of monthly ppvs

Anth0ny

Hey friend, everything has changed, who's to say he shouldn't be given a second chance? Look how fearless he's been

I just feel like there's certain things that are unforgivable, and what Zach did all those years ago, honestly, it makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Pure fucking evil.

Wrestlemania X-Seven only a B+. No matter how great his career was, this ruins it all. His actions that night will keep him out of the hall of fame forever.

Pikma

Banned
Definitely a more interesting card than Summerslam. No blank space that needs filling

Triplemania is going to be an awesome show before the carnival of the century (Mayweather vs McGregor)
Lmao are you sure you want to say that about a AAA show?😂😂😂
I mean, I'm sure they'll find a way to surprise you... but it will not be in a positive way
CMLL is obviously more popular than AAA?
Yes, AAA is barely alive, they're Mexico's TNA, having the television deal is probably the only reason they're still around

I mean even if you disregard that and assume Meltzer is lying (which there's no reason to assume), it's pretty clear that they never understood why Reigns gets the reaction he does.
I don’t assume that Meltzer lies, but I do think he talks out of his ass at times...who knows? Plans change. Do you think they constantly remind you that Roman retired the Undertaker to get people to like him? Maybe they’re using Roman’s popularity to elevate others? There’s been nothing subpar about the feud with Strowman.

Pikma

Banned
I'm actually not a fan of the Reigns vs Strowman feud

I mean, they obviously put a decent effort on coming up with those very "gif-able" spots during their matches and backstage confrontations but that's it, everything else is barely average and incredibly forgettable.

Also I just can't stand commentary during said segments/matches.

I don’t assume that Meltzer lies, but I do think he talks out of his ass at times...who knows? Plans change. Do you think they constantly remind you that Roman retired the Undertaker to get people to like him? Maybe they’re using Roman’s popularity to elevate others? There’s been nothing subpar about the feud with Strowman.

The Strowman feud has been good, but Strowman has shined in it way more than Roman IMO. Roman still comes out every week and cuts the same tired promos. Look back at the segment a few weeks ago where Roman, Joe, and Strowman were all in the ring. Strowman and Joe had good promos, while Roman just repeated the same stuff he's been saying for the past six months.

Zach

I just feel like there's certain things that are unforgivable, and what Zach did all those years ago, honestly, it makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Pure fucking evil.

Wrestlemania X-Seven only a B+. No matter how great his career was, this ruins it all. His actions that night will keep him out of the hall of fame forever.

Anthony has been Red in the face since that B+ grade.

I generously awarded WrestleMania X-Seven a B.

Top Bottom