• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I do have to wonder. Mostly because in my circle of friends and family, basically no-one plays poker machines. At least not with any regularity and only with small amounts. Of course given they exist in great numbers, they must work.

Its like F2P/micro games. They generate a shit-ton of money, but no-one I know puts any money into them.

Do you know anyone over the age of 55?

anyone from a country town?

markot

Banned
I imagine a large amount of profits come from a small(ish) group of gamblers.

Haha
Definitely a resemblance there.

Imagine till the cows come home cupcake!

Its a lot of average people who are addicted to pokies. Just go see how fast $50 gets sucked up by those mesmerising machines.

Bf0b8ikCUAAxiXr.jpg

:/
Why does Donatello have rabbit ears?

markot

Banned
Australia's A-League has been ranked worse than national soccer leagues in Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo.
Australia's A-League has been ranked worse than national soccer leagues in Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/a-league-ranked-worlds-99th-best/5246348

Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo have ranked worse on the Human Development Index than Australia.
Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo have ranked worse on the Human Development Index than Australia.

Am I doing it right?

markot

Banned

Am I doing it right?
No the first one is wrong silly.

Way to edit marty mcfly.

HolyCheck

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/a-league-ranked-worlds-99th-best/5246348

Wow talk about racist sensationalism.

The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead(inside), and the dead keep it(that way).

The way is shut.

-Tony Abbott, PM.

If anyone saw him on the news today.

Shaneus

The new TMNT. The baby from The Dinosaurs all grown up. Or the goombas from the live action Mario movie after a diet. Not the momma, dude.
Ahahahaha.

But man... fuck.

Fuck, right in the childhood.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

It didn't feel like anything, and that was its problem.
I have this really, REALLY bad feeling they're going to do a They Live! remake... and it'll suffer exactly from that.

It takes far less time to rip off something than come up with a surprisingly fresh, original, completely non-derivative and ground-breaking concept from the ground up like Flappy Bird.

"Hey guys, I just wrote down the theory of relativity in like 10 minutes. Einstein am cry, the little poser!"

For shame, mega. For shame.

Shaneus

It takes far less time to rip off something than come up with a surprisingly fresh, original, completely non-derivative and ground-breaking concept from the ground up like Flappy Bird.

"Hey guys, I just wrote down the theory of relativity in like 10 minutes. Einstein am cry, the little poser!"

For shame, mega. For shame.

So's your face!

Kritz

Banned
I just found out that I can replace my crappy old Canon inkjet printer with a colour laser for $79.

Yup. Switching to a laser was something I only did two years ago, because I didn't realise they priced that low.

But, also, so I have a Brother laser printer. About two months after I first got it, it said the toner was out. Okay, fair enough, maybe new models come with less toner. How much does toner cost? About $20 more than the printer. Now, that seems to be a popular point of view on printers. You run out of ink, you buy a new printer. Except that seems kind of dumb. I go off and order a generic toner for my printer, a few days later stick it into the printer, and for another two months I'm happy. Then the same thing happened.

I do the old, 'shake up the toner' trick I learned from my years doing IT for schools, pop it back in, no dice. Alright, something's fucked up. A few hours of Googling later, I come across some system button codes to do various administration on the printer. There's one to reset the internal printer print counter. I go through the steps - open toner tray, unplug power, plug back in while holding 'go' button, wait five seconds, press 'go' button five times, wait, press 'go' button two times, close toner tray.

Then the printer starts working again. And it works for another 6 months. Then the warning came up again, refuses to print like it had previously. I do the reset, and it's all good.

This has happened a total of five times, on the same toner, across two years.

So either I got a bunk ass $80 printer, or these printers have an arbitrary amount of prints they'll allow before telling you to throw out your toner. Shit's whack either way.

I don't get being precious about a childhood cartoon being turned into a movie. If it's that precious to you, then you should know better than to go see a remake of something you hold so close.
It's not about it being turned into a movie. It's about it being turned into a shit movie when it could be turned into a good movie with a teeny tiny amount of thought put into it.

The same goes for Transformers. They are robots who fight each other.
My issue with these movies is that the action is FUCKING TERRIBLY SHOT so we have NFI what is going on. I guess it saves a shitload of post production money but shaky closeup cam just gives me blue balls.

Pacific Rim gave us awesome robot action. THAT is how you shoot robot action scenes.

Call of Duty is getting 3 studios now? Bloody hell.
Sledgehammer working on the series has been known since MW3 since they did a large portion of the work. Their COD title was meant to be COD in space but sounds like that got ditched to do MW4.

I seriously just made the gameplay for flappy bird in 3 hours in unity.
The gameplay of Flappy Birds was never a time sink for the developer who shit the game out in 3 days. The timesink for Flappy Birds was working out how to get it bumped up to the top of the app store, once he got the bots working it was all plain sailing from there.

Mobile dev isn't about the game. It's about the hustle.

The gameplay of Flappy Birds was never a time sink for the developer who shit the game out in 3 days. The timesink for Flappy Birds was working out how to get it bumped up to the top of the app store, once he got the bots working it was all plain sailing from there.

Mobile dev isn't about the game. It's about the hustle.

It really makes me sad that it's like that.

edit: and theyre just buying source code? i hate mobile app developers.

I just found out that I can replace my crappy old Canon inkjet printer with a colour laser for $79.

I had no idea they got that fucking cheap.

Yeah, lasers are cheap now. Bought a brother color laser for 60 bucks from officeworks.

Want to know how much the consumables cost to replace?
Over 100 bucks!

It's the same story as inkjets, sell printers below cost and over price consumables.

Do a little research before you buy the laser, some companies sell it with a half empty toner, so you end up replacing it very soon.

Pro hint: you can get compatible toner off ebay. $20-30 and works just as well as the branded one.

Also, what Kritz said. Ignore the warnings, there is plenty of ink in there!

Dead Man

Yup. Switching to a laser was something I only did two years ago, because I didn't realise they priced that low.

But, also, so I have a Brother laser printer. About two months after I first got it, it said the toner was out. Okay, fair enough, maybe new models come with less toner. How much does toner cost? About $20 more than the printer. Now, that seems to be a popular point of view on printers. You run out of ink, you buy a new printer. Except that seems kind of dumb. I go off and order a generic toner for my printer, a few days later stick it into the printer, and for another two months I'm happy. Then the same thing happened.

I do the old, 'shake up the toner' trick I learned from my years doing IT for schools, pop it back in, no dice. Alright, something's fucked up. A few hours of Googling later, I come across some system button codes to do various administration on the printer. There's one to reset the internal printer print counter. I go through the steps - open toner tray, unplug power, plug back in while holding 'go' button, wait five seconds, press 'go' button five times, wait, press 'go' button two times, close toner tray.

Then the printer starts working again. And it works for another 6 months. Then the warning came up again, refuses to print like it had previously. I do the reset, and it's all good.

This has happened a total of five times, on the same toner, across two years.

So either I got a bunk ass $80 printer, or these printers have an arbitrary amount of prints they'll allow before telling you to throw out your toner. Shit's whack either way.
That is pretty fucked up if it is not just a busted printer. Contact Brother?

Deeku

i googled and found the "cover up the sensors on the toner" thing and managed to use that same toner throughout the whole of uni lol

Shaneus

Thanks for the tips on the printer, homies. I've seen $40 replacements for the whole thing, which in itself is weird given that even though it's a knockoff and as cheap as it could be made... it's still half the price of the printer itself. I'll keep that page reset thing in mind to, Kritz.

Hey, before I forget, went to this *insane* Brazilian food joint that's just opened up in Melbourne. It's called B'Churrasco and I'm not even joking when I say it's the best meat I've had in my life. For $40 you sit at a table AND THEY JUST KEEP BRINGING OUT DIFFERENT TYPES OF MEAT! I think they have 12, plus the zomg cinnamon pineapple. AND THEY KEEP BRINGING IT OUT IF YOU WANT! For example, the dude brought out the pineapple, you use YOUR OWN PERSONAL SET OF TONGS to get it off the rack when he carves it... it was mind-blowing, and we asked if he could bring it out again AND HE DID! HE ALSO BROUGHT OTHER MEAT OUT TOO AFTER THAT!

Seriously, I couldn't fucking believe how amazing it was. They also bring out a salad with the most incredible cheese (fetta I think? I know dick about cheeses) but fuck salad, this is all about meat.

We definitely have to go there for our next AusPAX meetup thing. That Korean BBQ joint? Fuck that, we're dining at B'Churrasco every goddamn night.

Dead Man

Thanks for the tips on the printer, homies. I've seen $40 replacements for the whole thing, which in itself is weird given that even though it's a knockoff and as cheap as it could be made... it's still half the price of the printer itself. I'll keep that page reset thing in mind to, Kritz.

Hey, before I forget, went to this *insane* Brazilian food joint that's just opened up in Melbourne. It's called B'Churrasco and I'm not even joking when I say it's the best meat I've had in my life. For $40 you sit at a table AND THEY JUST KEEP BRINGING OUT DIFFERENT TYPES OF MEAT! I think they have 12, plus the zomg cinnamon pineapple. AND THEY KEEP BRINGING IT OUT IF YOU WANT! For example, the dude brought out the pineapple, you use YOUR OWN PERSONAL SET OF TONGS to get it off the rack when he carves it... it was mind-blowing, and we asked if he could bring it out again AND HE DID! HE ALSO BROUGHT OTHER MEAT OUT TOO AFTER THAT!

Seriously, I couldn't fucking believe how amazing it was. They also bring out a salad with the most incredible cheese (fetta I think? I know dick about cheeses) but fuck salad, this is all about meat.

We definitely have to go there for our next AusPAX meetup thing. That Korean BBQ joint? Fuck that, we're dining at B'Churrasco every goddamn night.

So, apparently I am supposed to be going to Melbourne in late March, I think I need to go to this place.

bomma_man

Dude you could've said this a week ago when I was up, sounds amazing.

Also using 'dick' and 'cheese' in the same sentence will often lead to confusion :p

That is pretty fucked up if it is not just a busted printer. Contact Brother?

That's how it is. Just buy cheap toner off ebay, no other option.

B/w laser printers are 30-40 bucks now. Official toner costs twice as much. This is how it has been with printers, back from deskjets to inkjets and now to lasers.

Dead Man

Anyone know a decent website for last minute hotel bookings?
That's how it is. Just buy cheap toner off ebay, no other option.

B/w laser printers are 30-40 bucks now. Official toner costs twice as much. This is how it has been with printers, back from deskjets to inkjets and now to lasers.
Yeah, but if by design it is saying it is empty when it is not, that has to be illegal. I've known it is cheaper to buy a printer than a cartridge for ages, but that seems particularly fucked up.

Arksy

Anyone know a decent website for last minute hotel bookings?

I've used Expedia extensively with no problems! You could always try lastminute.com but I'm not too familiar with that website. Hope this helps!

Edit: Of course 70% of the time after checking on Expedia I go book with the hotel directly but again it just depends on the price.

Dead Man

I've used Expedia extensively with no problems! You could always try lastminute.com but I'm not too familiar with that website. Hope this helps!

Edit: Of course 70% of the time after checking on Expedia I go book with the hotel directly but again it just depends on the price.

Heh, cheers :)

HolyCheck

just remember everyone,

delete your cookies and shit, then browse in incognito mode before looking / booking flights / hotels

It's not about it being turned into a movie. It's about it being turned into a shit movie when it could be turned into a good movie with a teeny tiny amount of thought put into it.

The first Turtles movie from 1990 was already perfect. It combined the original comics with traces of the lighthearted '87 cartoon to hit the perfect balance for the property and work it into a film that hit pretty much every note exactly right (including the casting of April and fuck everyone who has a problem with her delightful chin dimple).

It's right up there alongside Men in Black, Mystery Men, Ghost World and Scott Pilgrim in the top five films based on comics.

Shaneus

What colour was the cheese?
White. So I'm pretty sure it's a goat's cheese... or fetta or something.

So, apparently I am supposed to be going to Melbourne in late March, I think I need to go to this place.
You really, really need to.

Dude you could've said this a week ago when I was up, sounds amazing.

Also using 'dick' and 'cheese' in the same sentence will often lead to confusion :p
Hah, this was very much a last-minute thing. Was out with mates catching up at a backpackers pub just up the road, and we head into this place. It was about 8:30ish and the place was practically empty, but it didn't really matter. Surprised it was so quiet (especially for a warmish Friday night) but we sat in the outside area (though none of us smoke) and two hours (with several rounds of applause) later, each time the dude with the meat came out, on the biggest knife/sword you've ever seen... we were done.

It's far from romantic but it's not a blokey restaurant. Really, REALLY nice inside and great for a bunch of people to grab something to eat. Couldn't eat another thing afterwards, and I think that if any of us could the chef would've rectified it post-haste.

Ugh, I have to go back!

Danoss

I had no idea they got that fucking cheap.

As I'm incredibly late with the reply, you now know they've been cheap for some time now. My last printer was just a monotone laser that I picked up for $99 years ago. Almost a year ago I felt like upgrading to get some colour for certain documents. Same style laser printer as last time for $99, only with colour toner.

It shat the bed 2 weeks ago, so I called Xerox and they don't waste time with maintenance since its a cheapy. Replacement printer on my doorstep first thing next morning, with a courier to pick up the busted one a few days later. Super simple and couldn't be happier. I did look up the price to see what the damage would be if it was out of warranty – $79 from Officeworks.

I buy my toner from TonerStop. Cheap, quick and perfectly fine. Not something you need to do often with laser printers anyway, so it's stupidly cost-effective.

Dimefan3

There's one up here on the central coast. Haven't been for a while, but that plus a Lebanese restaurant right next door are some of the best restaurants I've been to here.

The first Turtles movie from 1990 was already perfect. It combined the original comics with traces of the lighthearted '87 cartoon to hit the perfect balance for the property and work it into a film that hit pretty much every note exactly right (including the casting of April and fuck everyone who has a problem with her delightful chin dimple).

It's right up there alongside Men in Black, Mystery Men, Ghost World and Scott Pilgrim in the top five films based on comics.

The 1990 movie is still great. It probably won't ever be knocked off it's perch by another Turtles movie.

Watched Big Trouble in Little China last night. First time since I was a kid. Hardly remembered anything going into it though. Boy it has a cracking pace and like Jack, we're just along for the ride. Great fun.

I envy you. Enjoy the madness. Then tell us who the movie is about.

Jack's truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom