• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Arent pretty much all Japanese giants dying? Panasonic is kinda bleeding a lot too >.<

Cant compete with cheap stuff from Korea and China.

does anyone have any suggestions or input on small 4wd cars
think they are just called suvs in australia now too because half of them are 2wd anyway
time to buy a first car but its not really my area of expertise.

because i dont fit in regular cars
Simpsons-Tall-Car-Guy-1317414398.jpg

Dead Man

You could look at a couple year old Nissan Dualis, supposed to be decent, not hideous. Hell, you could get a lot of things in that price range if you don't mind getting something a few years old. You could get a 2008ish BMW X3 I think. Depends what you want. Pretty hard to go wrong as long as you look at post 2005 models and get a proper check done before signing anything. RACV can sort you out on that I think.

You could look at a couple year old Nissan Dualis, supposed to be decent, not hideous. Hell, you could get a lot of things in that price range if you don't mind getting something a few years old. You could get a 2008ish BMW X3 I think. Depends what you want. Pretty hard to go wrong as long as you look at post 2005 models and get a proper check done before signing anything. RACV can sort you out on that I think.

was thinking new.

i'm guessing a rav4 would be in that price range, they're pretty cool i think

indeed it is

yeah going to go have a look at the rav4 tiguan and a few others some time next week
anyone know what manufactures to stay away from?
i hear the holden captivas break down a bunch

Donkey Kong showed up yesterday from OGS. First couple of a levels are pretty sweet.
I fully expect to rage quite about halfway in but I'll enjoy the ride till then.

also, In my mind, I can't help calling it What is Dankey Kang's Cantry's Returns Trapical Freeze.

As I don't play Smash Bros or MK, the Wii U is likely to sit idle for quite a while after this one.

25k- sure. Have you been listed on car insurance before? If not, get some quotes before you look at cars. Then, after you've recovered, look into models with cheaper insurance- which funnily enough are the cars that won't be made in Australia in a few years time.

so camry or aurion- roomy, cheap to run, reasonably reliable, will last a while, bland as fuck but what they hey.

Danoss

ALL THIS GENIUS SPOILER

As soon as Texas Hold 'em showed up I knew Yohwan had that game won considering he's a professional poker player. I didn't pay much attention to how he did it, but that was my understanding of the card counting. Basically adding up the sum of all the seen cards so he could figure out what the very last card was. The cards in the deck were 1-10, but it was late so I don't blame you.

I'm happy for Sangmin. Like Jinho said, I felt he played the most genius-like throughout the season, winning most of the games. A lot of the reasons he won is because of the deals he made, but I feel like that's a big part of the game and he was better than anyone else at being able to suss out who could help him the most and what he could offer them in return. He certainly deserved it much more than Yohwan.

I thought the same thing, but it seemed even more so once he indicated he was playing from a maths perspective. While his bets and winnings were small, it was bound to be a game of attrition like what we eventually saw.

The decks were 1–10, how did I miss that? Sangmin lost by having a 1.

After seeing Dayhe return for episode 11 and the finale, I'm even more disappointed that she was eliminated so early. Her elimination being at the hands of Yooyoung is the bitter way to look at it, but is only strengthened by the events that followed. That's not really why I feel this way. Seeing how she thinks and plays just that little bit more was incredibly pleasing and is what I wished there was more of in season 2. Dahye would not have been out of place amongst the season 1 contestants at all.

Blue yes but not 8! And not her best card!
http://puu.sh/7dpNL/057d70a317.png

Now it had no effect on the result I believe but I wonder what she would have done if she had a better hand.

I don't know how I completely misremembered that or recalled the order wrong. She did give her support to Sangmin though and Yohwan did not seem to care when he was reminded that Doohee had also supported Sangmin.

After looking at where it happened, Hongchul did ponder that if someone asked for their help, regardless of who they supported, wouldn't they be obliged to help to their best? Jinho seemed to agree. It was a nice touch that appears to be a jab at what Yooyoung had just done by gifting the blue 3. Hongchul likely had no idea what had happened, but it was clear to the editors.

Given the situation and what the expectations were, it was up to the individual. Yooyoung can't really be faulted for it, given that teams were essentially created and Yohwan had been warned. I'll still agree she's shitty, because she is. When she was eliminated, she repeatedly said she had no regrets. She bullied someone, thought it was okay at the time and still did long afterwards.

$25-30k for a first car?

o_O

I read the post, but it didn't click that it's a first car. Damn.

What happened to first vehicles being pieces of shit? You learn a bit about them and appreciate the step up to something nicer so much more. It's like a rite of passage.

As someone who just bought a CX5 and loves it, its not cramped but its definitely cosier inside than a Rav4 or a Forester. I'm 178cm so i fit in most cars without probs.

legend166

I'm really happy I don't care about cars at all. Will probably save me a lot in the long run.

Next one for me will probably just be a $15k used Camry or something.

About to buy my first car too. Well second but first was lucky to get handed down from my folks. (1995 holden statesman yeeeeewww)

Want to spend around $10k, basically got no clue what to get doe.
From looking round on carsales, I'm leaning towards a subaru liberty or maybe a hyundai i30.
For some reason I wanted to buy an old bimmer but apparently their servicing can get real expensive after a time and that's the antithesis of what I want.

About to buy my first car too. Well second but first was lucky to get handed down from my folks. (1995 holden statesman yeeeeewww)

Want to spend around $10k, basically got no clue what to get doe.
From looking round on carsales, I'm leaning towards a subaru liberty or maybe a hyundai i30.
For some reason I wanted to buy an old bimmer but apparently their servicing can get real expensive after a time and that's the antithesis of what I want.

Avoid older European cars like the plague, if something breaks your in for a world of hurt.

Tommy DJ

Arent pretty much all Japanese giants dying? Panasonic is kinda bleeding a lot too >.<

Cant compete with cheap stuff from Korea and China.

Panasonic went hog wild and completely killed everything unprofitable within an insanely short period. They're actually making profits now and they're basically investment grade at this point. They're basically focusing on industrial and home products now, where they seem to be doing quite well.

Hitachi did the exact same thing by dumping everything that is unprofitable or of questionable long term value and they're actually doing really well when I last checked.

The core problem with Japanese businesses is that they react slow (or in the case of Sharp, not at all) and are reluctant to axe things when they don't work. Case in point: Sony's retail stores in Australia are useless and have no floor traffic yet they still exist for some reason. They don't offer better service nor are they willing to discount like JB Hi Fi or Harvey Norman. They don't even have a lot of good demo stock so its just a waste of rent.

That being said, Sony is at least attempting to do something about their situation. Their recent products aren't completely mediocre and are actually worth looking into if you're in the market for them. Their recent audio products are actually worth considering, which is more than I can say about their past garbage.

The core problem with Japanese businesses is that they react slow (or in the case of Sharp, not at all) and are reluctant to axe things when they don't work. Case in point: Sony's retail stores in Australia are useless and have no floor traffic yet they still exist for some reason. They don't offer better service nor are they willing to discount like JB Hi Fi or Harvey Norman. They don't even have a lot of good demo stock so its just a waste of rent.

That being said, Sony is at least attempting to do something about their situation. Their recent products aren't completely mediocre and are actually worth looking into if you're in the market for them. Their recent audio products are actually worth considering, which is more than I can say about their past garbage.

Yeah since Kaz has taken over they are making better moves. Killing off unprofitable stuff like you said.

Pretty sure they closed half the Sony stores in the US recently. I would expect they should do the same here (all rather than half though). Those boutique stores aren't worthwhile in this day and age when your items are on show in other retailers being pimped.

Deeku

so people were talking about "may mays" tonight, it took me a while to understand wtf was going on, then i flipped my shit and explained that that's not how you pronounce meme

then i felt like the absolute worst person ever lol

Yeah since Kaz has taken over they are making better moves. Killing off unprofitable stuff like you said.

Pretty sure they closed half the Sony stores in the US recently. I would expect they should do the same here (all rather than half though). Those boutique stores aren't worthwhile in this day and age when your items are on show in other retailers being pimped.

Yeah I went into one the other day, shocking service and terrible prices.

r1chard

I'm a total pragmatist when it comes to cars these days. Grew up with parents who only bought Subaru. Friend at uni who had a Mini and raved about Minis being teh awesome. Girlfriend whose family were die-hard Holden owners. I've owned a jellybean Mazda 121 as my first car (hey, I once drove it to Darwin and back), and then a Renault Megane as a second. That Megane totally spoiled me, for a $25k new car. So good. So anyway I had to get a new one in a bit of a hurry last year and had a budget of $12k. I had pretty much one requirement: 5 star ANCAP rating. After test driving a few cars I ended up getting a Lancer - something I never would've imagined previously - but it's a good car. Gets me from A to B and has those 5 stars. It's auto, which I'm not too happy about, but it's a CVT auto which - I've really gotten used to. It's really neat :)

Anyhoo. Manufacturer loyalty is dumb :)

(for a first car, I really would recommend buying a second-hand extremely common car so purchase, repairs, servicing and insurance are as cheap as possible)

Dead Man

I'm a total pragmatist when it comes to cars these days. Grew up with parents who only bought Subaru. Friend at uni who had a Mini and raved about Minis being teh awesome. Girlfriend whose family were die-hard Holden owners. I've owned a jellybean Mazda 121 as my first car (hey, I once drove it to Darwin and back), and then a Renault Megane as a second. That Megane totally spoiled me, for a $25k new car. So good. So anyway I had to get a new one in a bit of a hurry last year and had a budget of $12k. I had pretty much one requirement: 5 star ANCAP rating. After test driving a few cars I ended up getting a Lancer - something I never would've imagined previously - but it's a good car. Gets me from A to B and has those 5 stars. It's auto, which I'm not too happy about, but it's a CVT auto which - I've really gotten used to. It's really neat :)

Anyhoo. Manufacturer loyalty is dumb :)

(for a first car, I really would recommend buying a second-hand extremely common car so purchase, repairs, servicing and insurance are as cheap as possible)

Yes it is. But anti loyalty is what drives me. Never buying a Holden :)

Paging those knowledgeable about beer.

I noticed at my local First Choice Liquor today that they were selling cartons of Leffe Tripel for $65. Strangely, the other Leffe varieties they had were selling for $105 a carton but were cheaper per bottle. Even more strangely, the Tripel's had an imported sticker saying they contained 1.2 standard drinks... when my understanding was this is an 8.5% beer?

Are there different varieties of Leffe Tripel doing the rounds that are different strenghts? Was this price really as cheap as it seems?

Paging those knowledgeable about beer.

I noticed at my local First Choice Liquor today that they were selling cartons of Leffe Tripel for $65. Strangely, the other Leffe varieties they had were selling for $105 a carton but were cheaper per bottle. Even more strangely, the Tripel's had an imported sticker saying they contained 1.2 standard drinks... when my understanding was this is an 8.5% beer?

Are there different varieties of Leffe Tripel doing the rounds that are different strenghts? Was this price really as cheap as it seems?

9qMFYEj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom