• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beer sale success!

Turns out the $65 price tag on the Leffe Tripel carton was meant for a carton of 12, but because it was listed as 24 they had to honour it. Fuck. Yes. Drinking a victory beer right now!

alright dw ill just talk to my legs
In all seriousness, you make friends much in the same way you make enemies: being in the close proximity with other people. I can't actually remember what the origin was for any of my really close friends except we were all in the same place at the same time and not really by choice (school/work). As long as you don't spend your time at uni/where ever actively shunning contact, it should happen organically.

You'll notice people or personalities that you are drawn to and over time you'll form bonds. Like I said, I can't really remember much about any defining events or conversations that cemented relationships that I formed. They just happen, as long as you give yourself a decent opportunity in allowing them. It sounds rote, but be you. Don't force anything and be receptive to how other people react to you. Look for people whose values and interests that you share and gravitate to them. To increase your chances, perhaps look into social activities or groups being advertised and go to something that interests you.

Or beer. There's always fucking beer.

Jintor

I find that I need sustained long-term contact with people to form meaningful friendships. Unfortunately my course was big enough and unstructured enough that it was pretty rare to keep finding people in the same classes until my fourth or fifth year, so it was better to be in clubs (drama society/musical society was great for my first year) or hang with friends of friends, etc.

To be honest I didn't make a lot of new friends at my uni, mainly at my friend's uni, because that's who I was hanging out with a lot.

Deeku

All my uni friends are friends of friends. The friends I made at uni by myself only lasted as long as the subject I met them in, ie a semester or two...then they (or I) just disappear lol!

jambo

Not trying to be overly dramatic, but it could kill V8 Supercars. They do huge numbers on the free to air races.

Also Volvo, Nissan and Merc must be pissed. They enter the sport and then suddenly it's on pay tv except for 6 races.

Jintor

All my uni friends are friends of friends. The friends I made at uni by myself only lasted as long as the subject I met them in, ie a semester or two...then they (or I) just disappear lol!

yeah sometimes they take a job and go to hong kong and leave you alone

forever

;____;

This is why we can't have nice things...

http://www.channelnews.com.au/conte...netflix-content-a-big-concern-for-foxtel.aspx

Load of horse shit, fuck off Murdoch.

God damn it, fuck off. I just started on the Netflix hype train :(

1456041_10153923674620193_1334212719_n.png

Quasar

Not trying to be overly dramatic, but it could kill V8 Supercars. They do huge numbers on the free to air races.

Also Volvo, Nissan and Merc must be pissed. They enter the sport and then suddenly it's on pay tv except for 6 races.

I continue to be confused as to why Australian sporting bodies aren't looking at the US and their streaming services instead of tying up more and more content with the Foxtel monopoly.

Stackboy

I think Most Wanted puts a whole bunch of shit behind a paywall though. Like a bunch of cars driving around that you need to purchase, and whole chunks of the city that are closed off.

I dunno... maybe there's a definitive edition these days or something, but there was a thread about it here. Amusingly, that might make the Wii U version the one to get because it didn't get any of the DLC bullshit.

I bought all the DLC for Most Wanted and I was happy. You can not buy the DLC and still play a complete game. The extra DLC is just stuff for people who play more.

I continue to be confused as to why Australian sporting bodies aren't looking at the US and their streaming services instead of tying up more and more content with the Foxtel monopoly.
Easier to take the Foxtel money where they don't have to do anything versus their own setup where they have to design, implement and maintain a new thing, and then find customers for it.

Quasar

Easier to take the Foxtel money where they don't have to do anything versus their own setup where they have to design, implement and maintain a new thing, and then find customers for it.

I'm not sure say a AFL streaming app on all the normal platforms would actually need to find customers, I'd think they would be lining up. Though maybe I'm just in a bubble in terms of people using video streaming.

Of course I'd much prefer a Cricket app. Of course thinking about it, all the US services (like MBL.TV) are all domestic games. I guess an international sport like cricket would be a nightmare licensing wise, especially if its a worldwide service.

I'm not sure say a AFL streaming app on all the normal platforms would actually need to find customers, I'd think they would be lining up.
It really depends on how people consume that particular entertainment. For instance, if people want to plop themselves on the couch in front of their big TV for the afternoon, then a streaming app isn't going to work for Joe Six Pack.

However, a streaming app which also has the ability to view stats while still viewing either on their big TV or on that same device, change camera views, follow specific drivers? Well, there's your selling point...

But long term it will do nothing but hurt them, which is why the deal makes no sense. Oh well no great loss.

Dead Man

Nah it's heroin now. #kidsthesedays

Am I out of touch?

Love you avatar mate. Very pumped for next week's finale.

Cheers, same.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/v8-supercars-tv-deal-will-divide-fans-20131221-2zrto.html

May be old news but only just read about it. As someone who doesn't really like the sport I'm not bothered, but it seems like a pretty bad idea to alienate a large section of their fanbase for a short term windfall.

I've been moaning about it over in the motorsports thread for a week or so, really worked me up. I've basically put it on the pay no mind list. Gone from watching every race to I think probably only bathurst this year, and of course next year onwards too.

Streaming is also fucked, you need a Foxtel subscription to stream it if you live in Australia.

jambo

Xbox 360, XBone and PC versions of TitanFall ALL USE AZURE SERVERS

End of the year (maybe).

End of the year is the possible launch of Azure in Sydney and Melbourne, but that doesn't guarantee that there will be servers available for TitanFall. They might use them for corporate clients first.

End of the year is the possible launch of Azure in Sydney and Melbourne, but that doesn't guarantee that there will be servers available for TitanFall. They might use them for corporate clients first.

Yeah that's why I add maybe, depends on how much of an outcry for better servers there is (I don't expect a big enough kerfuffle sadly).

Quasar

Xbox 360, XBone and PC versions of TitanFall ALL USE AZURE SERVERS

Have to admit I've been surprised by this. I would have thought all the tier one countries would have been Azure server countries as well.

Also somewhat surprised they are behind Google and Amazon in terms of local servers. Especially business focused MS given the rules about data storage etc.

Shaneus

I bought all the DLC for Most Wanted and I was happy. You can not buy the DLC and still play a complete game. The extra DLC is just stuff for people who play more.
It doesn't feel like a complete game when you cruise around, find a car to steal and all of a sudden you get "Pay only $4.99USD to access this car in the Super Exotics DLC". What shits me even more is when you have to download a 500mb patch to play the game, which doesn't seem to include any fixes... just the accommodation for more DLC.

Fuck EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom