• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phone covers are for squares who like to protect expensive things and are also clumsy and also hate beauty or buy ugly phones to begin with and

Rezbit

Just watched the fourth ep of True Detective. Didn't really feel it for the first few episodes but god damn, now I'm IN.

thatescalatedquickly.jpg

Phone covers are for squares who like to protect expensive things and are also clumsy and also hate beauty or buy ugly phones to begin with and
This is my phone cover:

7D7B1D12-1B53-4929-BE25-45CFCFCAB170_zps8cb3eny7.jpg

I like it because it makes me look smrt when I'm reading GAF on the train.

I may or may not have purchased a copy of Dissidia Final Fantasy based on the name and the size of the GAF thread without doing any further research on it. It turns out it's a fighting game with FF characters, sort of a Super Square Bros.

Oh maaaaaaan.

Shaneus

Holy fucking shit. Everyone should've been watching the F1 qualifying today, because it was INTENSE. Very happy with the end result :D

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Holy fucking shit. Everyone should've been watching the F1 qualifying today, because it was INTENSE. Very happy with the end result :D

Yeh it was pretty fucking awesome.

My friends not a fan of f1s but he came along, decided to pick magnessun as his favourite driver at the start of the week. So he's pretty happy.

I'm a bit salty k-mag knocked kimi out oof the qualies

Shaneus

Yeah, should've just crushed the ice and then poured cider into it.

Side note: Need advice from AusGAF. Going on a holiday in a week and a bit, need to work out whether I should buy a new Sony Xperia Z1 Compact from Telstra now, or wait until I get back lest something happen to whatever phone I'm carrying at the time. Current phone is a 4S.

Edit: Holy fucking shit. The outright price of it ($552) is only $30 more if one wanted to buy a new 8GB 4S directly from Apple. I should almost be able to sell my 32GB 4S and buy one without outlaying a cent, shouldn't I?

Edit #2: Looking on eBay, should be able to get four-hundo for it. Nice. Makes buying a new phone a little easier to stomach.

Yeh it was pretty fucking awesome.

My friends not a fan of f1s but he came along, decided to pick magnessun as his favourite driver at the start of the week. So he's pretty happy.

I'm a bit salty k-mag knocked kimi out oof the qualies

I just have this clip in my head
Murray Walker: "these fucking cars are going round and round, It's so fucking boring!"

now I need to listen to Wired World of Sports.

Olaf

Banned
God Optus are making playing Titanfall impossible.

Can't be played on Optus Cable between 2pm and 2am. Ridiculous.

Sn44Xam.gif

God Optus are making playing Titanfall impossible.

Can't be played on Optus Cable between 2pm and 2am. Ridiculous.

Sn44Xam.gif

Does it make every game impossible or just Titanfall? Odd.

Also the only thing that shits me about the 'drop a titan on it' meme is it doesn't shrink the original image to a comparative size to the Titan. Makes no fucking sense and loses a lot of the impact. Drop a similar sized object on something? Why?

Olaf

Banned
Does it make every game impossible or just Titanfall? Odd.

Also the only thing that shits me about the 'drop a titan on it' meme is it doesn't shrink the original image to a comparative size to the Titan. Makes no fucking sense and loses a lot of the impact. Drop a similar sized object on something? Why?

This is literally a Titanfall only/Optus only issue.

No other games have this issue, no other ISP has this issue. I've already called Telstra to come out and connect ADSL (I'd prefer Cable, but no cable in my area).

Their forums and Facebook page are getting hammered over this. Rightly so too.

There's a suggestion that Titanfall transfers outgoing data over port 80, which Optus blocks on their consumer plans.

If that's the case, either Optus has to change their policies, or it's never going to work.

For me, during the beta, it didn't work (almost at all) expect for one hour on a Sunday morning, so if the final environment is similar to that, I don't buy it.

There's a suggestion that Titanfall transfers outgoing data over port 80, which Optus blocks on their consumer plans.

If that's the case, either Optus has to change their policies, or it's never going to work.

For me, during the beta, it didn't work (almost at all) expect for one hour on a Sunday morning, so if the final environment is similar to that, I don't buy it.

What's the reason for them blocking the port?

Since day one they haven't wanted people on consumer plans running servers of any sort on their end. They block common ports, 80 is HTTP/web.

Shaneus

So, AusGAF:
GfykjkE.jpg

Yay or nay? $552, actually cheaper given I should be able to get ~$350-400 for my 32GB 4S.

Actually, the question is more whether I should try and get one before my holiday or not.

Edit: That's the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Smallest phone I can find that isn't a complete turd.

Tommy DJ

What's wrong about Aldi mobile out of curiosity? I keep hearing that its cheap and fairly decent.

So, AusGAF:

Yay or nay? $552, actually cheaper given I should be able to get ~$350-400 for my 32GB 4S.

Actually, the question is more whether I should try and get one before my holiday or not.

Edit: That's the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Smallest phone I can find that isn't a complete turd.

Its the only small-ish Android phone that isn't complete shit, yes. The longer you wait, the cheap it will likely get. They're not like Apple products where the price is stagnant even after 2 years, they drop like a rock fairly quickly.

I would keep using the 4S unless its basically dead because if you wreck it overseas, you probably won't feel so bad. If you're not bringing any smartphone overseas, the 4S' resell value probably won't much assuming its already out of warranty and Apple doesn't release new phones.

Dead Man

So what's the happy haps with the radgaf meet? We should organise something!

I thought you were in charge of that now that Jambo has been found derelict of duty.

Its the only small-ish Android phone that isn't complete shit, yes. The longer you wait, the cheap it will likely get. They're not like Apple products where the price is stagnant even after 2 years, they drop like a rock fairly quickly.

I would keep using the 4S unless its basically dead because if you wreck it overseas, you probably won't feel so bad.

My One mini is serving me pretty well. I don't use much media on it besides music so the big fuckup of no expandable storage isn't a problem for me, other than that I love it.

Wish I never switched to ALDIMobile.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/newplans

fuck you aldi

Amaysim. Seriously.

Tommy DJ

My One mini is serving me pretty well. I don't use much media on it besides music so the big fuckup of no expandable storage isn't a problem for me, other than that I love it.

I'm sure its a perfectly fine device but most Android mini versions are really gimped. In the case of the One Mini, the main problems are the 1GB of RAM and lack of OIS. For a simple user, its probably not a problem but the lack of OIS is a huge downer if you use your camera a lot.

The Z1 Compact is cool in that its basically the Z1 that has been shrunk and given a better screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom