• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

Fuck Shane hope everything turns out OK. You got too much to live for, man! New Minter game isn't even out yet!

You can probably fashion some kind of Egyptian mummy costume together in time for the comp tho :p

Grats Rlan on getting your update out - hope I can sneak some time in today to play it. :p

Hope the results come back 'not cancer's dude.
I had one cut off my leg which came through black as duck, wasn't cancer thankfully. My Dad is getting some liver cancer cut out next week, so hopefully that goes well and he won't need radiation/chemo.

Mar

That's totally fair enough. I guess you're buying it for practice as well as fun, but if neither of you are having fun then there's no point.
Keep in mind I'm still yet to play one IRL, so I have zero idea of how brutal it can be (keen to play it though, maybe next Feb ;) ).

If you aren't keeping the ball controlled and on the flippers, and on target with the left ramp shot (or middle, the only other safe shot), it's a drain monster. Everything is midway down the playfield and everything sends the ball back fast if the shot is missed. Also, the outlanes are like blackholes.

Weird. I wonder why? Angle? Flipper power?

A couple of reasons. Yes the flippers have more power than other Brides I've played, which not only makes the ramp easier but also makes it feel a whole lot more visceral and rewarding. But also, it's on default settings so it rewards extra balls as a random award whereas every other one I've played that is turned off. The gate up the top to advance toward the wizard mode is also set on default which is 'easy'.

I have a black set of three and I'd be happy to post them to you if you wanted to try them out. No way I'll be using them again, that's for sure.

I'd actually like to give them a bash. I doubt I'll leave them on there but I would like to see how they play. Send me a DM on twitter if you're keen and we can work something out.

BTW I got my C2C t-shirt in the mail today, so it looks like I'll be able to rep the cast at the tournament on Saturday :D

Nice. And good luck on Saturday. It would be great to be in the international final together in February but to be honest, my confidence level is pretty low. The guys I'll be competing against are just on a completely different level than me. Both Richard Rhodes and Steve Edwards will be playing, 1 and 2 in Australia. I've beat them before but not for a long time now... They usually either win every competition they've been in, or come in the top 3. I'm yet to do better than 4th in any competition!

So, just went to the dermatologist and there's a fair chance the thing on my forehead that wasn't healing is some kind of cancer :/ Most likely nothing severe and was probably even cut out when he took the sample for testing, so I'll find out Wednesday if I need to get my head lopped off or not.

Damn, good luck with that too. Maybe you can take advantage of the new look and fashion a bandana like one of our guys in our league:

f31c27_5095bb7c0d75b604c1c29fca5dad077f.jpg

Gazunta

OK yeah the new Jetpack Joyride update is really good.

Took me a second to figure out how to defend yourself from the missiles but man I could get used to this. The '5 days and you get a bonus' bit reminded me of Sonic Dash and man I loves me some Sonic Dash.

Rlan is the bit where the dog rides on Mr Cuddles with you new? I don't remember him doing that, cute touch :)

This has been your AusGAF gaming update. Now let us not speak of games for the rest of the day.

lexi

Banned
So the vet still doesn't know what's wrong with Mishka but she has inflammation somewhere and has a high white blood cell level. So they've put her on some antibiotics to fight whatever is in her body. Fingers crossed she feels better soon. She's a bit cranky over the stuff I have to give her haha

Hope she feels better!

And I hope the results are ever in your favor shane.

Jintor

So my internet speed is shithouse, but you knew that already.

What I'm wondering is how shithouse it is in comparison to other Aussies!

3132101017.png

Testmy.net:
:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 1721 Kbps or 1.7 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 1.3 MB or 1344 kB or 1376256 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 215 kB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 346 Kbps or 0.3 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 256 kB or 262144 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 43 kB/s

???

Damn Shaneus. We're all pulling for you!

Damn, good luck with that too. Maybe you can take advantage of the new look and fashion a bandana like one of our guys in our league
Not much diversity in your league! Is that common with pinball leagues? Looks like mostly mid-late 30s+ white dudes almost exclusively.

Axiom

So, just went to the dermatologist and there's a fair chance the thing on my forehead that wasn't healing is some kind of cancer :/ Most likely nothing severe and was probably even cut out when he took the sample for testing, so I'll find out Wednesday if I need to get my head lopped off or not.

Biggest thing that sucks is this massive, fuckoff bandage thing that I have to wear until Sunday (which means wearing it during the pinball comp). Should heal in 2-3 weeks though if everything's okay :)

When I was a little kid who had eye surgery and wore a patch over one eye, I got to pretend to be a pirate.
When I got shit broken and had to have metal bits permanently integrated into my body I felt this justified calling myself a cyborg.

The giant fuckoff bandage is just a giant excuse to pretend it's for a badass reason that causes you to walk into the Pinball comp as some hardened warrior that intimidates the fuck out of your competition.

Good luck!

3132101017.png

Testmy.net:

???

That's shithouse? I get 3mb down, and that's only after a friend at the ISP found a way to bump it up from 2.

Shaneus

Thanks for the well-wishes guys! I'm sure it'll be nothing major, my old man's had one or two of these removed (whether that means I'm more susceptible to them or not, I dunno. I know I get my pale skin from his eastern-Europeanness, but I doubt that's a "hereditary" thing, just genetic) and it's practically identical to that picture. So that's relieving :D

If you aren't keeping the ball controlled and on the flippers, and on target with the left ramp shot (or middle, the only other safe shot), it's a drain monster. Everything is midway down the playfield and everything sends the ball back fast if the shot is missed. Also, the outlanes are like blackholes.
Yeah, that's kind of what it feels like on TPA, although obviously ramps are far more forgiving.

A couple of reasons. Yes the flippers have more power than other Brides I've played, which not only makes the ramp easier but also makes it feel a whole lot more visceral and rewarding. But also, it's on default settings so it rewards extra balls as a random award whereas every other one I've played that is turned off. The gate up the top to advance toward the wizard mode is also set on default which is 'easy'.
Ahh... that makes sense, then. What might've happened is that for that particular machine, the flippers might've been replaced with Williams Fliptronic ones. I've read on Pinside that it can be done stupidly easily for System 11 machines and I've found that they feel a little bit "tighter" when comparing a Getaway to my HS.

I'd almost put money on that being it. If you look up Vid's Sys 11 flipper rebuild guide (I think that's what it's called on Pinside) it mentions it.

I'd actually like to give them a bash. I doubt I'll leave them on there but I would like to see how they play. Send me a DM on twitter if you're keen and we can work something out.
No problemo. I'll shoot you a note on there :)

Nice. And good luck on Saturday. It would be great to be in the international final together in February but to be honest, my confidence level is pretty low. The guys I'll be competing against are just on a completely different level than me. Both Richard Rhodes and Steve Edwards will be playing, 1 and 2 in Australia. I've beat them before but not for a long time now... They usually either win every competition they've been in, or come in the top 3. I'm yet to do better than 4th in any competition!
I'm really in two minds of how I'll do. On one hand, I've not finished higher than fourth in any of the three or four tournament nights I've been to. But on the other, the guy who won the state finals for AC/DC I've done better than every time except my first and the guy who won almost all the nights before I started has finished below me since I joined (although I never directly played him).
As I've (and I'm sure you have) seen in many of the PAPA videos, it doesn't come solely down to skill but there's a good amount of luck involved as well. I'm probably getting my hopes up a little too much, but if you play solidly on the day then there's no reason you can't beat anyone, particularly if they happen to have an "off" day :)
(I'm also lucky in that I found out at the start of the week that the iMAX right near work has an effectively brand-spanker Metallica LE that plays like new. With that and the Pro in Geelong, I'm getting tons of practice on both types of machines which is building my confidence up fairly well :). Oh, and the pub I regularly tourney at is the same location as these finals, so home ground advantage :D) )

Damn, good luck with that too. Maybe you can take advantage of the new look and fashion a bandana like one of our guys in our league:

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/f31c27_5095bb7c0d75b604c1c29fca5dad077f.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I contemplated wearing some kind of bandana, but didn't figure wearing it like that... thought I'd just wear it "normally" and look like a cancer patient (not far from the truth, bahaha).

Seriously guys, thanks :) I'll let you all know how it goes. If it's any consolation, [url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/21/basal-cell-carcinoma-hugh-jackman-skin-cancer_n_4319223.html]Hugh Jackman had (hopefully) the same kind of cancer removed only a few days ago[/url]. So now we have three things in common, besides being astonishingly charismatic and extraordinarily handsome.

PS. I feel for you guys who are experiencing slow internet. Really, I am. [spoiler]:P[/spoiler]

[quote="Axiom, post: 91683793"]When I was a little kid who had eye surgery and wore a patch over one eye, I got to pretend to be a pirate.
When I got shit broken and had to have metal bits permanently integrated into my body I felt this justified calling myself a cyborg.

The giant fuckoff bandage is just a giant excuse to pretend it's for a badass reason that causes you to walk into the Pinball comp as some hardened warrior that intimidates the fuck out of your competition.

Good luck![/QUOTE]
Holy shit, best idea: "I was playing my High Speed pinball at home with the glass off... fucking airball RIGHT TO MY FOREHEAD".

PPS. Mar, if you can be bothered, play BoP with the glass off. It's so wonderfully mechanical and rattly listening to the ball travel on it's eventual destination of the apron. I love it.

senahorse

3132101017.png

Testmy.net:

???

Yeah mine's pretty crap too :p

speedtest_zps7de5fb9e.png~original

Work connection, hence why I have blacked out the detail. It's actually a 10Gb connection.

Bernbaum

I'm up to the Gollop Chamber in XCOM. Got a team of well-kitted Majors making up the team. Any tips before warping through?

Mar

Not much diversity in your league! Is that common with pinball leagues? Looks like mostly mid-late 30s+ white dudes almost exclusively.

Well, that particular picture is from an inter-league event. The NSW ACT finals. My league is reasonably diverse with 2 females and some under 30s. But yes, you could say pinball in Australia is dominated by white dudes in their 30s and beyond.

Gazunta

Sorry for your loss, Jambo.

Man the Internet sucks at this time of year, it's all THANKSGIVING! HOLIDAYS! SALES! and nobody is making content to read while us jerks are at work :p

Speaking of meet-ups I might be able to organize a brisgaf meet-up on the 14th of December (Saturday) starting at 5:00-6:00pm ish in the Brisbane CBD. Will confirm if I'm able to make it happen tomorrow! but for now does shanshan or anyone else who lives in brisbane have a suggested bar or pub we could meet up at? :D
Keen. I am probably not the best person to ask regarding bars though.

I've noticed a very strong correlation on facebook of people who like doge liking Family Guy.
ack, there goes any fondness I had left for doge.

Shan you're in sydney in dec sometime right? Syd Gaf rides again!

Yes indeed. Although I may not have time to come to a meet up I'm afraid :(

I'm sorry for your loss, Jambo.

Shaneus, all the best, too. You'll be okay because if you're not around, who will I feel superior too? Who will I make fun of? I don't think I'd be able to handle it.

Dead Man

So the vet still doesn't know what's wrong with Mishka but she has inflammation somewhere and has a high white blood cell level. So they've put her on some antibiotics to fight whatever is in her body. Fingers crossed she feels better soon. She's a bit cranky over the stuff I have to give her haha
Hope she gets better quickly.

Biggest thing that sucks is this massive, fuckoff bandage thing that I have to wear until Sunday (which means wearing it during the pinball comp). Should heal in 2-3 weeks though if everything's okay :)

So, guessing I'm not walking in and getting a PS4. Probably for the best.
Bugger. Don't go getting cancerous on us, that would suck. Hopefully the biopsy excised all of it and it is nothing to worry about.
My last grandparent died this morning =[

I'm feeling pretty Ubisoft.

Shit, sorry to hear that man. Condolences.

Fusebox

Banned

So, guessing I'm not walking in and getting a PS4. Probably for the best.

Leave it unbandaged and unwashed! Psychological warfare for your opponents. It's hard to concentrate on multiball when the guy next to you has bloody pus oozing out of his head and down his face.

Shaneus, really hope you're all okay.

I'm going to Lorne today until Sunday for my sisters birthday! Staying at some fancy $600+ a night chateu for free. Very exciting!

edit: this is my speed that idont get to use much:
3132233022.png

Speaking of meet-ups I might be able to organize a brisgaf meet-up on the 14th of December (Saturday) starting at 5:00-6:00pm ish in the Brisbane CBD. Will confirm if I'm able to make it happen tomorrow! but for now does shanshan or anyone else who lives in brisbane have a suggested bar or pub we could meet up at? :D

Count me in. Not normally a bar or pub person though, no real suggestions there. I think the Streetpass Brisbane group have a meeting that same day, their end of year meetup, but that should be finished by 4pm.

Mar

Anyone get their accommodation booked for PAX with that email that just came through? The website has been destroyed, so I gave them a call and had it booked in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom