• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Multiquote because it deserves it.
Not much at all, as it's already playing beautifully. A friend of mine fixes all of the machines at my local so he was there when the machine went in. An hour or two later and it was running like a dream.
Fantastic :)

I'm getting new flippers just to have them look authentic (the original comes with white flippers and red rubbers). As for upping the difficulty, I've been tempted, and in fact if I lived alone I would. But honestly, Bride of Pinbot is such a brutal game. I don't mind being brutalised (and it's one reason I love the game), but Fiona gets bored quickly of drain after drain. It was meant to be a pinball machine for both of us, Bride is not really a game anyone can enjoy, so I'm leaving it on the current settings so she can get some enjoyment out of it too. And besides, even though it's easier compared with others I've played, it's still not a friendly game in the slightest. The fact that it doesn't have a ballsaver is a good indication of what a bitch it is!
That's totally fair enough. I guess you're buying it for practice as well as fun, but if neither of you are having fun then there's no point.
Keep in mind I'm still yet to play one IRL, so I have zero idea of how brutal it can be (keen to play it though, maybe next Feb ;) ).

It is a lot easier than any other Bride I've played though. I've already smashed my previous high score on other tables by triple, and that's with 3 balls instead of 5...
Weird. I wonder why? Angle? Flipper power?

While I could leave the machine as is and not spend a single cent more, I've made a list of some small improvements that I want to buy:

Metallic red drink holder (bending down or walking to pick up your beer is a pain (first world problems)).
New flippers and rubbers.
Some LEDs (some globes don't work, and her left nipple is not flashing, if you know what I mean).
New back glass lifter plate (current one is broken).
3 new balls.

All that will come to about a grand total of $70, which makes me very happy.

Last but not least I need to step down my ROM version. The latest ROM has a multiplayer bug so I'll need to find another chip from somewhere. At the moment it's not a big deal though.

In the end, I'm still coming to terms with the fact I can just walk in my garage and press a button and play pinball. It's really a bizarre feeling. The pubs of Newtown are going to drop in revenue by half I'm sure.
That's the thing I love about pinball machines. It seems like everything's going to be expensive (and for unique parts like plastics, it is) but the vast majority of the things that screw up on it (globes, rubbers) are cheap as hell. I was blown away when I bought individual rubbers for HS (not a rubber "kit") from an AU retailer (rtbb.com.au is *fantastic*, but the sight is "gone fishin'" for some reason) for around $30. Globes are cheap as hell, too.
Be wary of LEDs, mostly because they may not look as good as you'd expect and anything other than warm white will drastically change the colour of what you're lighting (unless you use a red LED for a red insert etc.). If you decide to go that route, someone on Pinside mentioned Comet Pinball sells 100-packs for ~$27US seems to be the cheapest. Might take the plunge on some warm whites and see how they shape up.

Oh, big piece of advice: With my most recent pinball part order (new/repro set of plastics... strangely enough, HS ones are known to get mutilated) I ordered some Superband rubbers. The Saturn Rings don't ship here (sadly) but gave these a shot and they just seem to suck the life out of the ball. Lower bounce and spin is just evaporated when they make contact, just too grippy (though they make aiming stupid easy, but not what I want when getting technique down). I have a black set of three and I'd be happy to post them to you if you wanted to try them out. No way I'll be using them again, that's for sure.

BTW I got my C2C t-shirt in the mail today, so it looks like I'll be able to rep the cast at the tournament on Saturday :D

I still want a toggle to permanently enable high-fiving on JJ. WHEN AM I GONNA GET IT? :(

Shaneus

Gllllllooooooorious. I get so embarrassed watching him when he thinks he's saying something amusing. Just... so cringy.
He has to be worse than George W., doesn't he? Not just him, but Pyneocchio as well. I'm actually almost happy he's in so people can see what a complete and utter deadshit he is. Similar to how I feel about Darryn Lyons becoming mayor of Geelong.

Shan you're in sydney in dec sometime right? Syd Gaf rides again!
Nope. Hopefully Feb. if I do well this Saturday!

lexi

Banned
I'll be in Melbourne in January. Maybe there'll be a meet.

Not like anybody in Brisbane wants to see each other.

Quasar

Tested out using Amazon for psn game codes. AC4 for 35$ on ps3 and now have the 10$ upgrade option for ps4 when I do get one. Pretty nice I must say compared to the 100$ AU PSN is charging.

Heres hoping they don't require US credit cards at some point.

Good luck, dude!

The one thing I do know about you, is that your ball handling skills are second-to-none, so I'm sure you'll do well.

Tested out using Amazon for psn game codes. AC4 for 35$ on ps3 and now have the 10$ upgrade option for ps4 when I do get one. Pretty nice I must say compared to the 100$ AU PSN is charging.

Heres hoping they don't require US credit cards at some point.
Amazon should have emailed you a $5 coupon, use that to buy a $10 PSN code for only $5, redeem code into your account to spend as you like :)

Quasar

Amazon should have emailed you a $5 coupon, use that to buy a $10 PSN code for only $5, redeem code into your account to spend as you like :)

Yeah I know. I was just pondering whether hoards of folks outside the US using dummy US accounts and fake or virtual US addresses will cause Sony to get upset and encourage Amazon to only process sales with US credit cards. Thereby spoiling all out fun.

Mondy

Banned
I am officially next gen, AusGAF.

Looks like we got shafted with the primary console system. We can only activate one.

I just stumbled across the old spreadsheet of AusGAF cool kids and our various account names on online platforms, and wondered if we should maybe revive it and add Game Center for us iOS types out there. (Unless I'm the only iOS guy in AusGAF. What phones do we all have?)

Wii U eShop had been saying Super Mario 3D World would come out on the 29th.

I go to it today and it says the 30th.

It seems they didn't adjust for time zones in what they had been saying for ages.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Speaking of meet-ups I might be able to organize a brisgaf meet-up on the 14th of December (Saturday) starting at 5:00-6:00pm ish in the Brisbane CBD. Will confirm if I'm able to make it happen tomorrow! but for now does shanshan or anyone else who lives in brisbane have a suggested bar or pub we could meet up at? :D

lexi

Banned
Speaking of meet-ups I might be able to organize a brisgaf meet-up on the 14th of December (Saturday) starting at 5:00-6:00pm ish in the Brisbane CBD. Will confirm if I'm able to make it happen tomorrow! but for now does shanshan or anyone else who lives in brisbane have a suggested bar or pub we could meet up at? :D

I'm in!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
So the vet still doesn't know what's wrong with Mishka but she has inflammation somewhere and has a high white blood cell level. So they've put her on some antibiotics to fight whatever is in her body. Fingers crossed she feels better soon. She's a bit cranky over the stuff I have to give her haha

Rlan

Up for a BrisGAF meeting.

Also oh shit the Jetpack Joyride update finally went out!

banner-1440.jpg

4.jpg

As you can see I'm super excited to finally get the last 3 months of hard work out :p

Shaneus

So, just went to the dermatologist and there's a fair chance the thing on my forehead that wasn't healing is some kind of cancer :/ Most likely nothing severe and was probably even cut out when he took the sample for testing, so I'll find out Wednesday if I need to get my head lopped off or not.

Biggest thing that sucks is this massive, fuckoff bandage thing that I have to wear until Sunday (which means wearing it during the pinball comp). Should heal in 2-3 weeks though if everything's okay :)

So, guessing I'm not walking in and getting a PS4. Probably for the best.

jambo

I had a suspect spot cut off of my leg when I was younger, was terrible waiting a week or so for test results, especially when my GP rang to say that they were getting some further tests done =S

All turned out good in the end, hopefully the same for you too!

Jintor

So, just went to the dermatologist and there's a fair chance the thing on my forehead that wasn't healing is some kind of cancer :/ Most likely nothing severe and was probably even cut out when he took the sample for testing, so I'll find out Wednesday if I need to get my head lopped off or not.

Biggest thing that sucks is this massive, fuckoff bandage thing that I have to wear until Sunday (which means wearing it during the pinball comp). Should heal in 2-3 weeks though if everything's okay :)

So, guessing I'm not walking in and getting a PS4. Probably for the best.

gah.

dun die plz

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
cant things just work right. ugh.

seems every customers everything is breaking today.. and here i am as the middle man talking to everyone. havent had my coffee yet and its been going on for 2 hours:O

hope mishka is ok lucian.
that looks awesome rlan, i'll have to give it a go. will the update be going to blackberry playbook?
that fucking sucks shaneus, hopefully it's all ok. good luck on the weekend too btw, is this a public event?
aarglefargle feels my pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom