• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
1uWnUMU.gif

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=795434&page=100000#footer

Stackboy

The best selling game on steam is goats. GOATS.

I plan on getting Goat Simulator in the next Steam sale, it looks hilarious!

I am sure a lot of people would, as a lot already pay for foxtel. It was estimated that there are already up to 200,000 Australians signed up to Netflix as it is. I think Foxtel is worried as well, as is evidenced by the scare campaigns their papers are running.

Do you have a link to any of these ads? I'm just curious to see how Foxtel combats Netflix

Amazon.au already exists, but only for kindle and phone app purchases. :/

I wait for the day when we get everything else. Prime Video would be pretty great too.

Quasar

I
Do you have a link to any of these ads? I'm just curious to see how Foxtel combats Netflix

Pressuring the companies they license stuff from to pressure netflix to close the loophole of accepting Australian credit cards. Thats one way. And while it wouldnt kill the current practice it would stop a lot of folks.

The other way is them buying up/up bidding Australian streaming rights to stop netflix from starting locally. I'm sure netflix has commented before about streaming rights in Australia being an issue.

So I'm picking up a WIi U PAL, I forgot if they were region locked or not? Any game recomendations for someone who is unlikely to get a PS4 anytime soon but has an OK PC? I'm contemplating Ass Creed due to it being unoptimised on PC. Any exclusives I should definitely hit up?

And there used to be links to all the best shops in the OP, where have these gone? Where should I order from? :(

Quasar

Alright Hearthstone on ipad is great. Time to become a pro Hearthstone player and go to Korea. #Esports

Excellent. Been waiting for this to try it out.

Speaking of iOS, just how bad is the price readjustment? as bad as the 30% more that I think the SMH was saying?

senahorse

I guess you could call News Ltd an ad network for Murdochs agenda, here's a couple of recent ones:

Film studios give up Netflix fight
MOVIE studios have washed their hands of the battle to stop Australian consumers accessing US streaming giant Netflix at the expense of locally licensed providers.

This is despite growing concern by Foxtel and Quickflix about the long-term potential of Netflix to harm their businesses.

Netflix has agreements in place to stream movies and TV content in northern and southern America, parts of Europe and in Britain but is not licensed to supply its online content to Australia.

But it doesn’t block Australians from using their credit cards to pay subscriptions or buy gift cards as credit for Netflix services.

Foxtel, which launches its own movie-streaming service Presto this week, said Netflix in the past had taken measures to stop unlicensed use of its content and there was no reason this could not occur again.

“At the very least they could make it much more difficult to get around the system than they do,” Foxtel director of corporate affairs Bruce Meagher said.

Mr Meagher said Foxtel had told studios, content producers and distributors that Netflix was in breach of its content with distributors.

“That obviously has consequences for the content owners because they are not being paid for those subscribers,” he said.

This damaged Foxtel’s business and other Australian businesses holding legitimate rights, he said. “We’re certainly very clear that where we buy exclusive rights that exclusivity would be respected.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/tec...p-netflix-fight/story-e6frgakx-1226850717549#

and my current favourite which calls Australian users of Netflix, pirates...

More Netflix pirates on board
US streaming giant Netflix, which produces and distributes shows including House of Cards and the last series of Arrested Development, has upset Australian TV networks with mounting speculation the company now has between 50,000 and 200,000 subscribers in this market.

One commercial network said it had raised concerns with US studio executives about losing viewers to Netflix.

There is concern at local networks about the growing impact of the US company flouting international regulations by accepting payments from Australian credit cards, despite maintaining a geo-block that is easily bypassed by VPN manipulation or spoof IP addresses.

The streaming company, which has more than 40 million subscribers globally, has denied any plans to enter the Australian market in the short term.

However, Australian broadcasters have noted Netflix, which allows US consumers access to stream unlimited TV and movies for $US7.99 ($9) a month, does not need to go to the expense of establishing an Australian outpost given its growing base accessing the service illegally.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...board/story-fna045gd-1226842998214#mm-premium

There are more, one recent article was about a pirate video/music site using torrents and used a big netflix picture in the header and spun it as a netflix clone.

Dead Man

That said I'm surprised by all the loopholes netflix has for allowing non us folks to use their service. Can you pay for hulu or amazon prime with an Australian credit card?

Part of the reason that works is that the US processes credit card payments a bit differently and doesn't check the address so diligently.

Quasar

Part of the reason that works is that the US processes credit card payments a bit differently and doesn't check the address so diligently.

Its interesting. When first subscribed within minutes I got a call from the nab (my cc company) asking me if i actually authorised that payment. First time thats ever happened for me.

Buy more Vita games!

'More Netflix pirates on board' by The Australian

Not sure how you class paying customers as pirates lol

Especially when even our government are (or at least were) pro-VPN.

So I'm picking up a WIi U PAL, I forgot if they were region locked or not?
Region locked retail for PAL region so buy from UK with no problem. Can't play JPN or US games.

Digitally? Use any store you want I think. I bought a DD code for the UK eStore and the process works the same as on PS3.

Quasar

The Australian and Foxtel are owned by the same company. I don't understand where you think this is surprising lol

Well isn't Telstra still majority owner? Not that that matters much. And given the newscorp connection I'm suprised Fox isnt pressuring netflix. Well assuming fox content is on netflix.

Mondy

Banned
Well isn't Telstra still majority owner? Not that that matters much. And given the newscorp connection I'm suprised Fox isnt pressuring netflix. Well assuming fox content is on netflix.

They are pressuring them, you just don't see it. Who is gonna report it? Fairfax and the ABC? At this point, Netflix is Foxtel's only real competitor and they are determined to crush them in Australia just as much as they were for Optus and Austar. Too bad for them, it isn't gonna work with the existence of VPNs. So they target the infrastructure instead to make streaming unappealing. Hence the war on the NBN. This is all one big corporate unified front involving Telstra, Foxtel, Newscorp and the Coalition to centralize power to as few companies as possible to maximize profit.

In short, it's a disgrace.

Buy more Vita games!

'More Netflix pirates on board' by The Australian

Not sure how you class paying customers as pirates lol

Especially when even our government are (or at least were) pro-VPN.

Region locked retail for PAL region so buy from UK with no problem. Can't play JPN or US games.

Digitally? Use any store you want I think. I bought a DD code for the UK eStore and the process works the same as on PS3.

I meant physically, although digitally has Nintendo improved at all? Last I heard if your console went bunk you've lost it all. Can I just attach a USB hard drive to it still?

I meant physically, although digitally has Nintendo improved at all? Last I heard if your console went bunk you've lost it all. Can I just attach a USB hard drive to it still?

Not sure on the hardware thing, pretty sure it's still locked to the hardware unless the NNID merge with the 3DS changed anything.

You can plug in an external USB HDD yeah. Games aren't a huge size thankfully.

You get the odd deal every now and again, mainly through price errors like when I got W101 and Pikmin 3 for $15 each on the UK website lol

In terms of import I'd recommend OzGameShop and eBay really. A lot of eBay stores have gotten really price competitive. BeatTheBomb can be pretty great locally too, although day one prices have been good anyway.

Still have to pay the Nintendo tax though, hard to find games cheap unless they are 3rd party stuff.

Captain America was good, so much better than the first one. Could have been shorter though, and the antagonist needed more screen time. You can't call the movie 'The Winter Soldier' and then not give screen time to the bloody winter soldier.

Quasar

Captain America was good, so much better than the first one. Could have been shorter though, and the antagonist needed more screen time. You can't call the movie 'The Winter Soldier' and then not give screen time to the bloody winter soldier.

Hmm. The first cap film I thought it was mostly excellent ( up until they tome jumped mostly) and probably the only post Iron Man 1 marvel film I've liked.

Am kind of curious to know how much if anything it shares with the comic Winter Soldier story. I guess not much.

The first Captain America was terrible. I'm glad this is much better. I wasn't going to give this much of a chance but some positive reviews have at least peaked my interest. I'll go check it out on Monday night.

I thought the first Cap America movie (well, this rebooted series I mean) was good but ultimately boring. A very 2.5/5 movie for me, just didn't hit the marks right even though the acting/directing/staging was pretty great. Just needed a better script.

Glad to know they've improved upon that.

I got HBO today. Holy fuck HBO Go means I won't netflix for a few months! So much stuff, plus way better movies.

I don't understand why I had to have a chat with a customer service guy called Ambresh for 10 minutes to upgrade but that's done now.

My problem is I don't know where to start. probably True Detective after I finish rewatching the last season of Mad Men.

Hehe. I'm not religious, but I do like the high strangeness and sheer brutality of the old testament world. I'd love for a HBO series or something with a decidedly non-canonical take on it all.

It's never going to happen though because everyone is so delicate about religious topics.

I got HBO today. Holy fuck HBO Go means I won't netflix for a few months! So much stuff, plus way better movies.

I don't understand why I had to have a chat with a customer service guy called Ambresh for 10 minutes to upgrade but that's done now.

My problem is I don't know where to start. probably True Detective after I finish rewatching the last season of Mad Men.

I think you should share your hbo go login with ausgaf, and by ausgaf I mean just me.

Dead Man

Hehe. I'm not religious, but I do like the high strangeness and sheer brutality of the old testament world. I'd love for a HBO series or something with a decidedly non-canonical take on it all.

It's never going to happen though because everyone is so delicate about religious topics.

If by canonical you mean current church doctrine, yeah, I don't want that. If by canonical you mean sticking pretty close to the source material (the old testament), then yeah, I would love a canonical series, with all the craziness, superstition, and supernatural stuff. It would be awesome. Like GoT crossed with Rome or something.

Glory to god.

The episode wrapping up with Job's dead family returning, along with his possession, much to Job's utter, utter confusion, but shrugging it off and almost mechanically looking up into the sky and saying "Sure, whatever..." and then, enthusiastically "Thanks, God! and then cutting to heaven where God just yells "Booyah! Suck it, Satan!!"

Roll credits.

and speaking of Job:

i got a job

in japan

for a year
'grats.

If by canonical you mean current church doctrine, yeah, I don't want that. If by canonical you mean sticking pretty close to the source material (the old testament), then yeah, I would love a canonical series, with all the craziness, superstition, and supernatural stuff. It would be awesome. Like GoT crossed with Rome or something.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Church doctrine tends to have a lot of the rough edges removed from the old testament. Lot's of deeply strange, deeply troubling and deeply awesome stuff in the old testament. Dig into apocrypha stuff as well because there's heaps of cool shit there. A series sticking close to the source material would be amazing!

I highly recommend True Detective.

Sounds like you should enjoy Noah then :)

i got a job

in japan

for a year
Woo! 64GB Vita mem cards for everyone!

WHY AM I NOT LIVING IN SEATTLE YET
Didn't a ton of people from studios in that area get laid off recently?

jambo

The best thing about the LEGO Movie is that it actually has an important message driving the film, especially the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom