• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got a job

in japan

for a year

Nicer one

Whoa, nice work Jintor! Fantastic news!

WHY AM I NOT LIVING IN SEATTLE YET

Congrats!!

Because shit is expensive there, man.

But more expensive than Brisbane, though?

Clive?

Just really would be nice to live in a place with more opportunity.

So, some stuff is more expensive, some is cheaper.

Food- way less.
Restaurants- way less even with 20% tips and 9.5% tax added. waaaaayyy less.
Cars- less
Petrol- way less (though they think its expensive which is why fuel- efficient cars and hybrids are very popular)
Games- less- but fewer of those early drops like you get in the UK with bombas.
Movies- Actually more expensive
Internet-
3416549989.png
this is around $55 a month before adding HBO for $10 a month, it might be faster in some spots but this was taken at 8:30pm.
Health Insurance- waaaay more.
Car Insurance- way more for a few years. I'm 40, have driven for 23 years without a major accident and I'm paying the same insurance on my new CX5 as 16 year old.
rent- my rent is about 1800 for a one bed in a nice, recently-made building, that's with the extra I pay for parking spot and water/trash/sewerage charges. electricity is about 60 a month.
(for sake of argument) My Ex rents a 2 bed unit in Lutwyche in Brisbane for $450 a week.
Distance wise- I'm about a 20 minute drive to Seattle when there's no traffic (across that bridge that gets blown up in the start of Infamous SS
Vegemite- 4 times as much as the same jar in Australia. But you can get it from Amazon.

Digital movies and music- iTunes and Amazon are way cheaper than the same services in Australia. There's often little difference between what Google and Apple charge. Weird thing, you don't pay sales tax on digital store cards, but sales tax is taken from your credit when you buy something. Amazon will collect sales tax, but newegg, sweetwater, BH Photo, etc won't (They don't have to unless they have a physical presence in the state). So if you want to fool a company that you're in the US, choose an address in oregon.

also: The billing address does not have to be the same as the credit card is registered to. So far, iTunes is the only place that wouldn't take an Australian card for the US store.

Tax- sales tax is added afterwards, but not everywhere. Washington is around 9.5% but there's no state income tax. Oregon has state income tax but no sales tax. So when I drove to GDC, I stopped at a Best Buy in Oregon and bought an ipad air for about $60 less. California, I believe has both sales and income tax.

If they have security cameras everywhere, they are invisible because I don't remember seeing many, if any. People don't check your bags in store, or your CC signature (though they may ask for ID if you use a foreign CC, and will ask for ID if you buy booze and you look under 40). But you have to pay for gas before you start pumping. In Oregon, there's no self serve gas stations either.

I can't speak for opportunity since it seems the very few game audio jobs that I've seen since landing have gone to people already working as contractors. I'm guessing you'd have a better shot with your contacts, Mr D. But my advice is get the job first if you ever wanted to make the jump.

Quasar

Just spent $25 on indie bundle games I will never play.

41 games
1 software application
23 pieces of DLC

Insanity.

Yeah. I think I'm going to try and take a stand again Steam sales. I keep buying tons of shit that's really cheap and I never get around to buying them. Mostly its double dipping too so I can forget about discs.

Dhuie

Neo Member
Lemme guess, Fosters is cheap and readily available. That shit is everywhere.
except in Australia

Found a local shop here in Perth with a case of Fosters that had a recent manufacturing date on it. Grabbed it straight away.

Oh and hello AusGaf.

Gazunta

Thanks for the stats, Clive. That's super informative and helps cement Seattle as a destination for me. I just always really liked the place and am very over being so disconnected from most of the things and people I care about. Seattle seems like the solution to that.

APU5Brh.png

Amazon UK are posting some games our way, here are some prices!
You can bundle some stuff to make it cheaper, the $20ish items don't have free postage.

WiiU
The Wonderful 101 for $45 posted
Super Mario 3D World for $45 posted
New Super Mario Bros U for $45 posted
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD for $53 posted
Pikmin 3 for $38 posted
Game & Wario for $38 posted
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes for $50 posted
COD Ghosts for $42 posted
Disney Infinity (starter pack with figurines) for $45 posted
Skylanders Swap Force (starter pack with figurines for $45 posted

LEGO The Hobbit PREORDER for $48 posted

Aussie-Sports-GAF, why is the AFL so much more seemingly popular than NRL? Every NRL match I see the stands don't even seem half full (or even a quarter sometimes)) but the AFL matches have huge majestic stadiums full of millions of people with flags. I slightly prefer AFL but enjoy how short and continuous rugby matches are. Is the popularity disparity really that large?

Danoss

Attendance at AFL matches is far better than NRL matches in general, but the popularity of the two is about the same. I've tried to like AFL, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Spoiler alert for the QLD NRL match tonight
the Eels did pretty well, and Barba is still shit under the high ball.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
given the media backing rugby has, i wouldnt be surrprised if half of that "popularity" is the media telling you its popular.

Aussie-Sports-GAF, why is the AFL so much more seemingly popular than NRL?

The NRL has had a messy run in the top office trying to increase popularity while the AFL has gone from strength to strength. The big wigs at the AFL hob nob with all the politicians and fancy people of money at their shin digs. AFL make a concerted effort to appeal to as many demographics as possible and throw a lot of money at it as a result.

You could say the same thing about Cricket here really, pains me it isn't more popular :(

Attendance at AFL matches is far better than NRL matches in general, but the popularity of the two is about the same. I've tried to like AFL, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Spoiler alert for the QLD NRL match tonight
the Eels did pretty well, and Barba is still shit under the high ball.

AFL is the only sport my gf will watch since she says all the guys are lean, in-shape, good looking, and wear tiny shorts. All the opposite of me. It seems like a sport for well-off dudes.

I had money on Canterbury tonight. Kind of a plodding match considering the weather, I suppose.

The NRL has had a messy run in the top office trying to increase popularity while the AFL has gone from strength to strength. The big wigs at the AFL hob nob with all the politicians and fancy people of money at their shin digs. AFL make a concerted effort to appeal to as many demographics as possible and throw a lot of money at it as a result.

You could say the same thing about Cricket here really, pains me it isn't more popular :(

Aren't some NRL matches shown on a TV delay also because of scheduling? I'd assume that wouldn't help ratings but I don't really know. It seems like something that would take off here in the States since it's easy enough to pick up being familiar and play rarely stopping. I don't know where we'd fit our hundreds of commercials though.

As much as AFL seems like it's a Melbourne Only game, it's made huge strides to appeal to other areas. Things like the Auskick program getting kids while they are young, charity outreach, trying to help young indigenous players, etc. Also taking a huge interest and trying (failing along the way but still trying) to ensure the players aren't drugged up, boozing and womanising too horribly (or at least raping as much :()

Also with two teams in NSW/WA/QLD as well as VIC you actually have a halfway national game. A lot of old school Melbourne players/execs bitch and moan about it being MELBOURNE not AUSTRALIA but the people in charge have wisely ignored them in favour of things like promoting the Sydney teams and new Queensland ones. Whereas Rugby seems to just be jealous of the Storm for some reason.

What are the TV ratings like in their respective home states? I'd reckon there they're similar, with AFL having an overall lead due to reach. It looks like to me NRL stadiums are generally lower capacity though, which probably doesn't help.

AFL is the only sport my gf will watch since she says all the guys are lean, in-shape, good looking, and wear tiny shorts.
Maybe you should take her to some male gymnastics competitions? I don't know if she'd find them good looking, but they'd likely meet those other criteria. Beer's probably cheaper at those events, too.

HolyCheck

As much as AFL seems like it's a Melbourne Only game, it's made huge strides to appeal to other areas. Things like the Auskick program getting kids while they are young, charity outreach, trying to help young indigenous players, etc. Also taking a huge interest and trying (failing along the way but still trying) to ensure the players aren't drugged up, boozing and womanising too horribly (or at least raping as much :()

Also with two teams in NSW/WA/QLD as well as VIC you actually have a halfway national game. A lot of old school Melbourne players/execs bitch and moan about it being MELBOURNE not AUSTRALIA but the people in charge have wisely ignored them in favour of things like promoting the Sydney teams and new Queensland ones. Whereas Rugby seems to just be jealous of the Storm for some reason.

As some one who grew up in SA, i can tell you AFL is not a melbourne only game and never has been... welll Football, before the 90's obv it was SANFL, but same sport.

Shaneus

the fuck is with the female character designs for dragon's crown. i mean srsly.
Must buy?

I'm waiting for it to get discounted to get it on Vita. I needs a good beat-em-up and I'm sick of firing Final Burn Alpha X or whatever just so I can play Alien vs. Predator.

TIME TO HUNT

how have i not known this existed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5M3chPv4v0

my life is a lie
SCIENTOLOGIST

ALL HAIL XENU, WARRIOR ALIEN PRINCESS or something

HolyCheck

anyone who seriously attacks beck for his religious beliefs is an arse.

he was born into it, never mentions it, and doesnt push it on to anyone.

What are the TV ratings like in their respective home states? I'd reckon there they're similar, with AFL having an overall lead due to reach. It looks like to me NRL stadiums are generally lower capacity though, which probably doesn't help.

Maybe you should take her to some male gymnastics competitions? I don't know if she'd find them good looking, but they'd likely meet those other criteria. Beer's probably cheaper at those events, too.

I know the broncos are ratings gold. Though after a quick google search they seem to have lost some of their shine

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...-last-nrl-season/story-fni3fbgz-1226851977865

Their 2013 loss to Manly attracted 320,000 viewers in Brisbane, while the Bulldogs clash, which featured star recruit Ben Barba competing against his old club, netted just 255,000 viewers.

why did you move to seattle specifically clive?

I felt the weather would be nicer in summer, with a mild winter- which it was quite bearable. It rains, sure, but its so light 90% of the time you barely need more than a cap to keep dry.

Also, there seem to be a pretty decent amount of games companies, particularly on the Eastside (East of Lake Washington- that destroyed bridge you cross at the start of Infamous SS- Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond) where i currently live. Sucker Punch, Bungie, Valve (lol), 343, Turn 10, 5th Cell, nintendo and of course Microsoft, and a lot of smaller studios.

San Francisco is way too expensive and heavily skewed towards casual games, which is kind of hard to get out of once you're in them. LA is just a hole. Austin is humid and San Diego doesn't have enough scope.

I just happened to have landed during a lean period in terms of game audio jobs but i still have a few months before I need to think about returning to Australia. That's really a last resort.

best thread of today: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796475

Shaneus

why did you move to seattle specifically clive?
Nirvana tragic.

I just happened to have landed during a lean period in terms of game audio jobs but i still have a few months before I need to think about returning to Australia. That's really a last resort.
You do things with game audio? Tell me more.

As in, I always felt I could get into something game-related (or anything related) regarding audio but wouldn't know where to start as far as study/employment/qualifications goes.

Fusebox

Banned
I got HBO today. Holy fuck HBO Go means I won't netflix for a few months! So much stuff, plus way better movies.

I don't understand why I had to have a chat with a customer service guy called Ambresh for 10 minutes to upgrade but that's done now.

My problem is I don't know where to start. probably True Detective after I finish rewatching the last season of Mad Men.

HOW?!

Darren870

Moving down to Melbourne next week. Should be interesting, never been before. Then again never been to Australia up until last week!

Hopefully finding a job isn't as hard. My cash is rapidly dwindling.

Kritz

Banned
I wonder what the procedure is on lecturers ignoring my extension request emails.

Surely being hospitalised is a good enough excuse for being a few days late completing an assignment that was otherwise being completed on time... :(

Yarp had my eye on Lesser Key for ages. D'Amour is still talented as fuck, glad he is getting some exposure with LK after being basically underground since Tool. Dat Sylvia Massy. Unf.

Also dat video is NSFW. Nearly started it up with the son in the room before I remembered lol

I wonder what the procedure is on lecturers ignoring my extension request emails.
Find a better uni probably!

Are they the unit chair? If so, is there a faculty representative or contact you could forward the request onto? If not, there should be a central student support area you can contact directly (e.g. student administration or something).

It shouldn't necessarily be your responsibility to know who to contact, but you should try your best to ensure you've tried to contact as many relevant people as you can contact if you don't have a response yet.

As a new member (only waited 3.5 weeks for my acceptance) and a fellow Aussie I gather this is good news.

Any Aussie X1 & ps3 & Ps4 or Wii U players hit me up.

That OG1-kENOBI on X1

OG1_KENOBI on Ps3 & PS4

Just let me know where you are from for add. :)

Gamer since the 80's never a fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom