• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

Anyone know any cheap gym options in Melbourne. I will be floating around a bit for the first few months and don't want to sign up for a membership. Unless its a pretty spread out gym.

A PAYG would be ideal.

As a new member (only waited 3.5 weeks for my acceptance) and a fellow Aussie I gather this is good news.

Any Aussie X1 & ps3 & Ps4 or Wii U players hit me up.

That OG1-kENOBI on X1

OG1_KENOBI on Ps3 & PS4

Just let me know where you are from for add. :)

Gamer since the 80's never a fanboy.

Podcats

Jintor

I am not a fan of daylight savings. This going back an hour just annoys me which inturn annoys the Mrs as she claims I make to bigger of an issue out of it.

it's great. I don't have to readjust my sleep cycle again because the rest of humanity adjusts instead!

Dimefan3

That extra hour of daylight after work can be pretty handy though.

Oh well, at least it will be daylight again in the mornings when I get up to go for a run.

legend166

APU5Brh.png

Amazon UK are posting some games our way, here are some prices!
You can bundle some stuff to make it cheaper, the $20ish items don't have free postage.

WiiU
The Wonderful 101 for $45 posted
Super Mario 3D World for $45 posted
New Super Mario Bros U for $45 posted
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD for $53 posted
Pikmin 3 for $38 posted
Game & Wario for $38 posted
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes for $50 posted
COD Ghosts for $42 posted
Disney Infinity (starter pack with figurines) for $45 posted
Skylanders Swap Force (starter pack with figurines for $45 posted

LEGO The Hobbit PREORDER for $48 posted

W101 shows up as $62 for me :(

Plus he'd been playing games longer than most of AusGAF had been alive. Oh, the stories of games past he would regale us with. Going back as far as the 80s, if I recall correctly.

Dead Man

He tried to solve racism. :(

That's it? That one stupid post in the fashion thread? It wasn't that offensive, stupid as it was.

But more expensive than Brisbane, though?

Clive?

Just really would be nice to live in a place with more opportunity.

Clive already broke it down, and yeah, if you want to work in gaming it's probably the pace to go. Still, too expensive for me for me for the location.

Deeku

So what was the general consensus on the Mario & Luigi 3ds game? Any one here play it? I never really read much about it, and kinda auto assumed that it wasn't well received a la 3ds Paper Mario...?

Anyway I'm paying it now, and even though 3 hours in it's still tutorial land and incredibly slow going....it seems alright. I'm hoping it gets better once things start speeding up a bit!

what kind of headphones should I buy guys

My criteria is portability (primary use would be for commuting)
sub $150 (although I am willing to spend big for something worthwhile, the KEF M500s look sexy)
was thinking closed phones probably without noise cancelling but don't really have any preference in regards to that.

sub $150 (although I am willing to spend big for something worthwhile, the KEF M500s look sexy)
was thinking closed phones probably without noise cancelling but don't really have any preference in regards to that.

I would probably go Audio Technica ATH-ES700, but keep in mind they sit on the ear. Reasonable isolation.

For full sized headphones, the ATH-M50 are good. Closed back, good sound, but I'm not that fond of how they look personally.

I'll see if there's any sales happening at the moment, because I love shopping for headphones.

Gazunta

I did a double-take when I saw that username. Thought I travelled back to 2006.

I was getting ready to buy Apple stock and everything
and then choosing pretty much everything differently

Spent the night in some strangers house hundreds of k's out of Brisbane, wondering if we had unwittingly been cast in Wolf Creek 3. Fuck I'm glad to be home.

These are what codswallop would recommend, would he care enough to respond to you, which, clearly, he doesn't. They are nice for the price, but they won't win any doofdoof wars, if that's what you're in to.

Shaneus

I commute, so I prefer to have open headphones so I can hear things like cars, sirens, trams etc. (and also listen to what people say while they think I can't hear them). I rock these, they sound surprisingly good and are only about $50. And very, VERY light.

Alternatively, if you prefer not to look like some sort of euro-douche, you could try out these. Pros: better lower end than the other pair I linked and better isolation (if, unlike Shaneus, you don't have to be worried about what people around you are saying. "Hey, buddy, did you just say euro-douche?"). Cons: the cord goes up and over the ear and you can't hear people call Shaneus a euro-douche.

What Jase said (I don't care enough to respond, the RE400s are fantastic, the SE210s are good but too much bass IMO, Shaneus wants to hear people calling him a eurodouche).

Actually, the RE400s aren't that robust, the build quality of the SE210s is really solid, but the RE400s sound amazing, so I'll deal with that.

I commute, so I prefer to have open headphones so I can hear things like cars, sirens, trams etc. (and also listen to what people say while they think I can't hear them). I rock these, they sound surprisingly good and are only about $50. And very, VERY light.

The real problem is open back headphones leak sound like nobodies business.

To you other guys, you only rock canalphones? Full sized headphones are the way to go!

I would probably go Audio Technica ATH-ES700, but keep in mind they sit on the ear. Reasonable isolation.

For full sized headphones, the ATH-M50 are good. Closed back, good sound, but I'm not that fond of how they look personally.

I'll see if there's any sales happening at the moment, because I love shopping for headphones.

Ooh those ATH-ES700s look alright!
Cheers man :)

Mm I like eavesdropping too haha
They certainly look a lot more appealing than something like the Sennheiser PX100s! Cable extension is a bonus too.

These are what codswallop would recommend, would he care enough to respond to you, which, clearly, he doesn't. They are nice for the price, but they won't win any doofdoof wars, if that's what you're in to.

Those earphones have been on my radar since Cods mentioned them :)
As I've got a pair of Shure SE215s (which I see you referenced in your next post!) I'm set for earphones atm. The Hifiman RE-400s will most likely be my next earphones tho unless something else catches my attention before I'm due for another pair. Looking specifically for headphones as opposed to in-ears at the moment but I appreciate your effort all the same Jase. ie fuck ya

I find the SE215s pretty comfy generally but I think the fact I have small ears makes them feel worse than otherwise.

To you other guys, you only rock canalphones? Full sized headphones are the way to go!
Running with full-sized headphones is for chumps and athletes advertising Beats by Dre. I also want something that I can fit in a bag and isn't 50 times larger than the MP3 player to which they're attached. Full sized headphones are okay at home, but I also find them uncomfortable to wear in the summer. After 15 minutes the air between my ear and the headphone is so humid you could grow tropical plants in there.

Running with full-sized headphones is for chumps and athletes advertising Beats by Dre. I also want something that I can fit in a bag and isn't 50 times larger than the MP3 player to which they're attached. Full sized headphones are okay at home, but I also find them uncomfortable to wear in the summer. After 15 minutes the air between my ear and the headphone is so humid you could grow tropical plants in there.

Oh yeah running with them is definitely a no go! If you're planning on exercising, you definitely need something more portable. My full sized headphones are fine in my bag for the daily commute though... going on 6 years with the same pair, and I'm still frequently impressed by the sound quality and comfort (Beyer DT-250)

Shaneus

Strangely, they don't leak that bad. But I never have them at great volumes anyway. I'm retraining myself to not listen to music at volumes louder than needed and when I take them cans off, there's not a lot I can hear coming from them.

I couldn't go back to them now. If I need to talk to someone or someone's talking to me, having to faff around with removing them and putting them back in is a pain in the arse. Supra-aural fo' life.

Mm I like eavesdropping too haha
They certainly look a lot more appealing than something like the Sennheiser CX100s! Cable extension is a bonus too.
Best I can tell, Jays are very much shooting for the same market segment with the V-Jays. But the latter are significantly lighter and sound quite a deal better than Sennheiser's offering.

I ordered mine off Addicted2Audio (I think?) but they don't seem to be available on there anymore. Try here, but they seem to be a little more expensive across their whole range than other retailers.

PS. Head-fi review.

PPS. I think I've had mine for close to a year now (give or take) and they've been treated like shit... and they're still holding up fine. Take that as you will.

PPPS. Another solid review. I think that's the review that sold me on them. Hell, I might get a second pair as backup.

Strangely, they don't leak that bad. But I never have them at great volumes anyway. I'm retraining myself to not listen to music at volumes louder than needed and when I take them cans off, there's not a lot I can hear coming from them.

Best I can tell, Jays are very much shooting for the same market segment with the V-Jays. But the latter are significantly lighter and sound quite a deal better than Sennheiser's offering.

Yeah, I try not to listen to music too loudly these days... Try.

I used to have a pair of Koss KSC-75's and they sounded pretty great too. Not sure how they compare to the V-Jays. http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=173

Tommy DJ

Koss Porta Pros are still pretty good though your hair gets caught in them. I think they're something like $50 from Ozgameshop when I last checked.

I'd be careful with audio reviews. I'm not saying those reviews are wrong but the audio industry is driven by hype, perception and confirmation bias. This is the hobby that thinks buying a expensive silver cables will open up a headphone's sound stage somehow so its safe to be a little suspicious if a "professional review" doesn't provide frequency response graphs or waterfall plots to help back up whatever claims they might have.

Half of Head-Fi has to have hearing damage, which wouldn't surprise me considering its a headphone enthusiast forum. They still think the Sony MDR-V6 is a good budget headphone when it hasn't been good for music enjoyment since conception.

Shaneus

I'm linking up reviews to back my first-hand experience with something. Bit different to blindly linking people up with zero authority on the matter :)

Tommy DJ

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really criticising you. I just think Head-Fi and Headfonia reviews can be pretty dodgy sources since Head-Fi frequently suffers from the whole flavour of the month syndrome and Headfonia is consistent being not consistent.

The Porta Pros I recommended before are still good despite being ancient and obviously looking like something from the 80s. Poor bass response but the 300hz graph shows the headphone isn't really plagued with huge distortion everywhere like a lot of small, cheap and light headphones so it shouldn't really be fatiguing.

In the headphone thread, I recommended the Onkyo ES-FC300 as an alternative to the Audio Technica ATH-M50. They should be better sounding looking at the square graphs but I haven't actually touched these before so I can't say for sure.

Edit: Inner Fidelity has actually measured the V-Jays. To answer Poimandres' question, if you want more detail, a more open presentation and willing to accept harsher treble, then the V-Jays are better than the Koss headphones. If not, the Koss should be better assuming they're using the same drivers as the Porta Pros...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom