• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Given all the liberal fud about FTTH really costing 100B+ I don't know about that.

Speaking of bullcrap, I read the other day that the upgrade path to FTTH wasn't factored into the cost review of the MTM proposal because it was purported that "we don't know when or even if the upgrade will be necessary". If I were generous I'd accept the "when", but "if"? Come on now.

I wish I shared your optimism, I just have no faith in this government (or any current alternative [lol alternative]?) putting the country's best interests in front of their own ideologies and egos. What a missed opportunity, but, to be fair, it's in their pedigree to mess up infrastructure, especially when it comes to technology.

That's the funny thing: if Howard didn't kick off the privatisation of Telstra in the first place we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion. In a roundabout way the Libs got themselves into the current situation.

I'm pretty much convinced that the Liberal agenda vis a vis the NBN is motivated purely out of spite. At this point, I half expect the young Liberals wearing hi-vis vests and hard hats to show up in suburbs where installation has already taken place to manually pull the fibre back out of the ground.

You may be on to something there. :p

That thread was really weird, half the people were laughing and the other half were having a big argument about fedoras.

that sounds like the fucking internet in a nutshell. not really sure whats weird about that.

and as for e3. im already up and its fun to laugh at things with friends.

Dear Deal Octopus. Is there anywhere I can get some Playstation Move controllers for less than $19? Preowned is ok.

I'll keep a look out, otherwise hit eBay in the meantime.

OH OH OH

Target have Wonderbook bundles with the Book, Camera and a Move controller for like $28 at the moment.

Otherwise hold please and I'll keep and eye out.

I'm assuming it's for Sportsfriends?

Quasar

There is no other possible reason to own a move controller.

Which depresses me. I really liked using it in the few PS3 shooters that supported it. It made console shooters kind of playable for me. And the few other move supported PSN games.

I rather wish Sony required it as an alternate control scheme.

Might just have to organise a Sportsfriend party night where everyone buys in because buying 7 Move controllers for one game is a bit mental. Awesome. But mental.

Shaneus

I already have a Move controller, so that's one less everyone needs to buy. Assuming I'm invited.

PS. Fuck you all for not congratulating me on my new pinball machine. Now all of you fuckers will have to pay if you want to play it. So there.

Fuck that, I already go to Barber Club where you get free beer if you want and there's a stupidly hot (female) hairdresser there with an even hotter NZ accent. Yep, that's right... an NZ accent is totally hot on women, it turns out.

Fuck that, I already go to Barber Club where you get free beer if you want and there's a stupidly hot (female) hairdresser there with an even hotter NZ accent. Yep, that's right... an NZ accent is totally hot on women, it turns out.

God damn it I had no idea this free beer thing was so widespread, I want a free beer!

>_<

No. But it's not the kiss of death integrated was 10 years ago. You can play source engine games and some older console ports reasonably well. Maybe some F2P shit too.

Jintor

Trying to decide if core i7 - 8gb ram - 1 tb storage - 15.6'' - geforce graphics weighing about 2.4kg is worth looking ugly as sin (though only $864, not too bad).

needing an optical drive sucks for laptops. i thought i was rid of those

Depends on your use case. There aren't any gaming laptops that currently exist which will do you for a long time if you're serious about PC gaming. I'm more of a fan of the "beastly rig + relatively weak laptop" setup. Even a cheap Surface Pro might be ok.

Jintor

Yeah i see what you mean. Might just build a tower while I'm overseas... hmmm. Maybe I can stop bothering about the card then.

Yes. Although strictly speaking a high powered PC and a solid laptop will cost more than just a gaming laptop, the PC will be so much better at gaming, and the laptop will be better at being a laptop.

You should look for something with good battery life, relatively small and low weight with a disc drive I guess if you need that. Eliminating the 'must have good gpu' requirement will make your search easier.

Jintor

great! you can do it when you wake up.

seriously though i guess I can look at vivobooks and stuff. Woo sub $500 laptops here we come

Deeku

tdf is right tho, get something lightweight and enough for your everyday use. i mean, imagine having a massive gaming laptop in your basket when you're riding your cool japanese bike to school everyday. it would suck, cos that's where your bentos is supposed to go!

also, maybe box up your current stuff and have someone send it to you?

Jintor

Thinking of a refurbished dell inspiron for $469. 15.6'', i5 1.8ghz, 6gb RAM, 750GB HDD. Might be a bit heavy though... 2.3kg or so I estimate

Thinking of a refurbished dell inspiron for $469. 15.6'', i5 1.8ghz, 6gb RAM, 750GB HDD. Might be a bit heavy though... 2.3kg or so I estimate
If you want it for travel, IMO that's way too big and far too heavy. Going for a Macbook Air or a Surface Pro is what I'd recommend.

Surface Pro 1's can be had for real cheap, sub 600. Pro 2 will be a bit pricey admittedly. If you know any uni dags you can get 10% off on MS store.

Quasar

I don't get all the hate for apple laptops here. Solid machines.

Certainly that probably would be my preferred choice for a non gaming laptop, if I ever had need for one. Solid machines and I like OSX for the most part. Probably would run it on my desktop if there was non hacky options.

Kritz

Banned
I'm on 60% battery right now, with 3 hours til the battery poots.

I think it's like, 4.5 hour of battery life on 'balanced'? On standby the thing is pretty good at not leaking battery life, I haven't had this thing on charge since Tuesday.

jambo

How many minutes of battery life do you get?

8OZh0YZ.png

3joUZx2.png

GUYS THERE IS GOING TO BE A NEW UT GAME

THE NALI COW OF WAR SHALL RIDE AGAIN!!!

Gazunta

I get about 5 and a half hours out of my Surface Pro 2 running IE and Photoshop CS3.

WAIT WAIT IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there going to be that 'carry a ball around and throw it into a goal and while you're carrying the ball you can't shoot but other players can and they're all trying to shoot you' mode that was in UT2003 in the new one? BECAUSE THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT

WAIT WAIT IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there going to be that 'carry a ball around and throw it into a goal and while you're carrying the ball you can't shoot but other players can and they're all trying to shoot you' mode that was in UT2003 in the new one? BECAUSE THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT

Isn't that in most FPS games these days? I remember playing it in Halo too at some point.

In any case isn't the UT game going to be community made/run? I'd expect it to show up Gaz!

Gazunta

Isn't that in most FPS games these days? I remember playing it in Halo too at some point.

In any case isn't the UT game going to be community made/run? I'd expect it to show up Gaz!

Fucked if I know when was the last time I played a multiplayer FPS :/

Well either way I'm crazy pumped coz UT was fucking awesome.

God damn just remembering how much I played UT and Q3 back in the day. Built my own maps and skins and everything. Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom