• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chromebooks are super cheap, tempted to grab one for the wife. Only needs it for web browsing and book work.

Fucked if I know when was the last time I played a multiplayer FPS :/

Well either way I'm crazy pumped coz UT was fucking awesome.

God damn just remembering how much I played UT and Q3 back in the day. Built my own maps and skins and everything. Good times!

How much UT3 did you play?

What's this Chromebook bullshit
It's basically Android on a laptop. Crazy fast boot up, you can use apps, chrome is built in, etc.
It's more like Chrome on a laptop really (hence the name :p), since you can't install Android apps on it, but can install Chrome "apps" on it.

It's good if all you'd do with a laptop is Chrome (e.g. Gmail, Google apps, etc) anyway. I wouldn't recommend it for you Jintor based on what you've said so far. A great device for non-technical parents, etc.

Jintor

Is it just that 15.6'' and >2kg is too big? I'm anticipating having to basically bring it to work more or less every day if necessary and then also use it as a home desktop machine until I get paid/can afford to custom build a desktop while over there. But around the 400 mark, if I'm buying small (10'' + 1kg) the prices are more or less the same as larger stuff (15.6'' + 2kg-ish) and performance is crappier (Atom 1.3 instead of i5s, 2GB RAM instead of 4GB or 6GB, 64GB storage instead of 500GB...)

I mean, I know in my heart of hearts I probably won't need any of that increased stuff until I get a desktop, but... :T

If it's for lugging to and from work, or while travelling, portability is the most important attribute. I find the larger devices generally at the end of the market are pretty cheap in construction and would recommend against them unless it's a device that never leaves the house.

Screen size (and keyboard, mouse size) can be fixed with external devices at work/home etc if you want to do that further down the track.

Dead Man

Is it just that 15.6'' and >2kg is too big? I'm anticipating having to basically bring it to work more or less every day if necessary and then also use it as a home desktop machine until I get paid/can afford to custom build a desktop while over there. But around the 400 mark, if I'm buying small (10'' + 1kg) the prices are more or less the same as larger stuff (15.6'' + 2kg-ish) and performance is crappier (Atom 1.3 instead of i5s, 2GB RAM instead of 4GB or 6GB, 64GB storage instead of 500GB...)

I mean, I know in my heart of hearts I probably won't need any of that increased stuff until I get a desktop, but... :T

I've bought many laptops over the years, and very rarely have I wished for more (besides gaming when I had no desktop), but I have often wished for smaller or lighter.

Storage is easily fixed with a portable hard drive, unless you plan on Steaming it up.

If it will be your only computer for several years, it is probably worth getting a powerful giant laptop of doom, otherwise the value has never been there for me when I have done that. YMMV of course.

As an aside, loving everything about my Asus Transformer except windows 8.

Jintor

Yeah, I was looking at the Asus Transformer Book on the portable front. Maybe also the Vivobook x202e? Or a HP Pavilion 15.

Nah, if that were the case they'd actually be useful.

Will work have an external monitor you can plug it into at work Jintor?

Doubtful. Maybe some projectors to run slides or something, but obv different purpose.

Dead Man

The "non-web apps" are pretty much Chrome extensions and Chrome "apps". So, anything you can do within that framework is possible on a Chromebook.

So, not much.

Just stuff from the Chrome store. Very limited compared to what's in the Play store. This is as someone who has plumbed the depths of both for toddler friendly apps.

Add me to the 'Thought it ran full android' group. What in the hell is the point of something like that?

Jintor

If you're off to Japan, wouldn't buying one there make a bit more sense? Or are they dearer there?

english OS aside

I'd want to at least get it set up and stuff while I'm over here so I can be assured it'll work and I don't have another thing to worry about while setting up all the other associated bureaucratic nonsense

Fredescu

Jintor, I ordered one of these a few days ago: http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/

You can ex demos of the $1600 one there for $950: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-T...h-Convertible-Ultrabook-Laptop-/321396170194?

Haswell CPU, 1080p screen, wacom digitiser (you like to draw right?), small and light, and when you get jack of the keyboard you can fold it out of the way. The main downside of those refurbs is the 4GB of ram and it's soldered on so completely non upgradable, but most of what you're looking at already has about that amount of ram anyway right?

Another option at that price range is an ex demo Vaio Pro 13: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-VAI...-Core-i5-TouchScreen-Ultrabook-/141164161014?

Very similar spec wise. Bigger screen, but no digitiser.

I don't know if you're budget is going that high, and I don't know how much of a gamble ex demo laptops are, but those are some pretty sweet laptops for $1k.

Kritz

Banned
Maybe consider an Asus T100 if you want long battery life + windows 8 + ms office + good (but small) removable keyboard + super portable. It's powerful enough for browsing and simple stuff, and if gaming / video editing isn't a concern I think they're well worth thinking about.

After using a T100 and a Surface, I won't be considering buying a laptop ever again. At least not for work + portability purposes.

Stackboy

WAIT WAIT IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there going to be that 'carry a ball around and throw it into a goal and while you're carrying the ball you can't shoot but other players can and they're all trying to shoot you' mode that was in UT2003 in the new one? BECAUSE THAT WAS FUCKING GREAT

You're talking about the Deathball mod for UT2004, someone is bound to make that again.

Kritz

Banned
tumblr_n5aeyqm5TJ1t1c1zeo1_1280.jpg

$5 well spent

free curly whirlys to whomever shows up to the utas lunchroom

Rubixcuba

Banned
Nearly bought a PS4 today using the weekly payments method from JB. But then logic kicked in, I realised there isn't anything really to play on PS4 and Mario Kart 8 comes out in 3 weeks. Yay responsible consumer shopping!

PS4?

More like PS snore

Oh I'm so fucking funny

But seriously. Infamous is a pretty good game, can't say the same about Killzone. Underwhelming library currently.

Sunset Overdrive looks pretty nice... too bad I will probably never play it. I just don't think I can justify owning all the consoles this generation now that PC is my main gig.

Quasar

PS4?

More like PS snore

Oh I'm so fucking funny

But seriously. Infamous is a pretty good game, can't say the same about Killzone. Underwhelming library currently.

Well I've been pretty happy with mine. A new free game every month alone keeps it usable, and there's been a fair amount of other things out lately.

Though i still game more on my iPad than consoles. But thats been true for at least a year. More than PC too lately, where all I've really played is the Telltale games lately.

Jintor

Leaning into this Vivobook X202E. Seems cool, apart from the sodding battery life - three to five hours? Absolute rubbish...

Maybe I should just bite it and pick up the T100, except that it looks more a tablet than a laptop, but for the price... rrgghhh

Dis Zenbook tho.

/jeeze it's like any computer this small has the battery life of a stunned piranha. I guess that's the price you pay for weight... and the price you pay

Someone said uninstalling the game and reinstalling it fixes it. You keep your save at least. Still fucking irritating assuming that works.

Very thrilled I didn't pay 88 dollars in store for this or some crap. I would have been pissed if I'd been somebody playing this day 1.

Tommy DJ

Every time I see a cheap copy of Killzone, I always ask myself whether or not I'll enjoy it. Then I remember a Day One™ stream my friend did and how goddamn boring it was.

Leaning into this Vivobook X202E. Seems cool, apart from the sodding battery life - three to five hours? Absolute rubbish...

Maybe I should just bite it and pick up the T100, except that it looks more a tablet than a laptop, but for the price... rrgghhh

Dis Zenbook tho.

/jeeze it's like any computer this small has the battery life of a stunned piranha. I guess that's the price you pay for weight... and the price you pay

As mentioned above, Thinkpads are a really good choice. Not a huge fan of Asus, I've never considered any of the hardware to be particularly exceptional outside of price for one or two models.

Anyone here old enough to remember prices of PS3/360 games during the first year? I was a stupid teenager and bought my games at EB and then JB so I wouldn't know.

(first change to JB was for the steelbook of Gears 1, only $80!!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom