• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tone

Tried it ages ago, didn't work for me, and even if it did there is no menu support so you're still rummaging through folders to find crap on a blu ray disc.

I agree that the situation is a bit bullshit. There are ways of using MakeMKV to decrypt the blu-ray files on the fly so you can watch them, but it's not a complete solution.

Stackboy

Could you put a radio app on a phone or tablet? I've got one on my tablet and can Bluetooth it to my car if desired.

Sucks data like there is no tomorrow. I tried that when I gave Dig music a shot.

I must hold strong

Until E3

I must

I feel the same way. Need to see what MS has to offer.

Those are more questions than what all my exes combined asked me.
I may not be worthy for this thread yet.

None of us are.

senahorse

Tried it ages ago, didn't work for me, and even if it did there is no menu support so you're still rummaging through folders to find crap on a blu ray disc.

It certainly isn't an elegant solution. I have a blu-ray drive and powerdvd installed on my mini-itx PC but I still just use the PS3 for blu-ray playback. I just use active HDMI switching so that the current device I turn on takes over output to the TV.

jambo

Anyone else being an idiot like me and getting up at 2:30am on June 10 to watch all the E3 press conference announcements?

NRpodPQ.gif

I'm getting some great mileage out of this pic.

Danoss

phones not coming with a proper radio anymore is complete bullshit.

its why I take my HTC with me to sporting events!

It is bullshit. Radio apps that use days are useless too as data is generally poor when thousands of others are using the same towers. Something as simple as sending a tweet in such situations seems like mission impossible.

Some crazy bugger could probably write a radio emulator that could solve all our issues on phones. Headphone jack provides the antenna for FM. No coil for AM, but that's no great loss to anyone that doesn't care about the horses or dogs.

I've tried to find a decent pocket radio that is both good quality and value. No such luck yet.

New pc is amazing, SSD is magical. Windows 8 initial impressions are mixed, will wait to judge post 8.1.

I jumped straight into 8.1 and have very few complaints. Most are due to things that only crop up on a multi monitor setup.

I have read that the traditional start menu is making a return and it wasn't April fools when I did. The new Windows search has kinda made that redundant for me, it's much quicker.

Quasar

I have read that the traditional start menu is making a return and it wasn't April fools when I did. The new Windows search has kinda made that redundant for me, it's much quicker.

That's been me since vista. All I ever used the start menu was to get to the search box. So I have not been impressed by the falling back. And I guess they won't give me an option to not have the start menu.

Unlike Mass Effect's name
So it's Contact but it's not about the Contact wars, this could get messy when they do a prequel! I assume the council of races come in CONTACT with a new unknown race.

Hopefully the new race are mysterious but nice, rather than aggressive like the Reapers. Would love to see a Star Trek style story where there is a ton of paranoia but once they can understand the new race they turn out to be really nice and have a great range of tasty cocktails and marinades for steaks.

I bought GTA5 for X360 the other day for $48 because Harvey Norman were having a "clearance", despite it being $88 instore. Staff were lovely and let me pick it up without getting a pickup email. Haven't played much yet, will get stuck into it tomorrow I expect.
It's a ton of fun. My GOTY last year.

Speaking of exes, LinkedIn's broken privacy controls accidentally let it slip that one of mine was looking at my profile.

I got an alert saying that she and two other people looked at my profile, but then I tapped to see who those other two people were and her name disappeared, replaced by a colleague and two "anonymous" users. Great job protecting the privacy of your members, LinkedIn!
Yeah LinkedIn is terrible for it, I can usually google up a link into peoples profiles even if they are private.

Nothing sinister! Just checking game dev accounts to see where they are/what they are working on/etc.

I have noticed ausgaf has been rather quiet of late, even during the work week.
I think everyone's been flat out with work or school. I would kill for a holiday at this point.

New pc is amazing, SSD is magical. Windows 8 initial impressions are mixed, will wait to judge post 8.1.
First SSD?

Yeah I forgot that was a hack. Stupid fucking DRM system. I don't get much use out of my Blu Rays since I downloaded rips instead, much prefer to be able to access it on the fly.

Anyone else being an idiot like me and getting up at 2:30am on June 10 to watch all the E3 press conference announcements?
Probably. I always do despite saying I won't >_<

RoboBernBaum says hi
Give him a big hug from me!

Quasar

Yeah I forgot that was a hack. Stupid fucking DRM system. I don't get much use out of my Blu Rays since I downloaded rips instead, much prefer to be able to access it on the fly.

Mine are my backups. I don't actually play mine just rip them to put on my media server.

Mine are my backups. I don't actually play mine just rip them to put on my media server.
I started making backups of DVD's but it took longer to rip and convert them than it did just to download them lol

Yaaay, another idiot!!

I've taken the week off, because I never get any work done during E3.

Yeah I might take a few days off, have a ton of leave saved up and can't really take it towards the end of months so it would work out perfect.

So Reptile, how regular are Dick Smith storewide sales like that?

Coz if we get a pricedrop post E3 and maybe a bundle with a game I want to play, I might jump on one of those 11-12% discounts. Sub 500 for an xbone won't seem so bad... assuming they update it with the ability to play fuckin' files off a HDD.

Quasar

I started making backups of DVD's but it took longer to rip and convert them than it did just to download them lol

Well I don't convert them. Just do a straight rip to mkv. Takes about 15 minutes for a bluray. Not that I buy many these days. Unless its special, I just make do with a netflix (or crunchyroll in the case of anime) stream.

jambo

I did it for the first time last year or the year before I can't remember. For Nintendo of course.

I can kinda understand it when new consoles are being unveiled, but in the off years when it's just a bunch of game announcements using fake trailers and features that end up being cut, I'd much rather sleep in and then just read the GAF summary and watch the highlights on YouTube.

Also the devs I really care about either don't go to E3, or have a small presence.

Kritz

Banned
Steam AusGAF has been doing E3 mumble chat for the past few years. It's usually is just being hyper cynical and cracking wise while the conferences are showing white men in suits talk about bullshit, but we keep doing it so surely were getting something out of the tradition.

I wonder if banana still has the recording of last year? Contains me guessing the name "Xbox One" as the console name.

Gazunta

As per every E3, I'm expecting at least one of you knuckleheads to call me at 3 in the fucking morning if they announce CRACKDOWN 3

OMG CRACKDOWN 3

So Reptile, how regular are Dick Smith storewide sales like that?

Coz if we get a pricedrop post E3 and maybe a bundle with a game I want to play, I might jump on one of those 11-12% discounts. Sub 500 for an xbone won't seem so bad... assuming they update it with the ability to play fuckin' files off a HDD.
I think that's the 4th or 5th time this year they've had a 10+% sale. Every single sale has included the X1 so far, compared to the PS4 only twice.

As long as there isn't a shakeup at Dick Smith I would expect this kind of sale to happen once a month!

Steam AusGAF has been doing E3 mumble chat for the past few years. It's usually is just being hyper cynical and cracking wise while the conferences are showing white men in suits talk about bullshit, but we keep doing it so surely were getting something out of the tradition.

I wonder if banana still has the recording of last year? Contains me guessing the name "Xbox One" as the console name.

Hmm I should jump on this year. E3 is a ton of fun when you are watching the stupidity unfold in real time in front of you. Hoping for another Mr Caffeine or "comedian"!

hamchan

I have a Game Boy Micro now. It is awesome. I wish I bought it years ago. I could have used it to play games in class much more stealthily.

Deeku

I have a Game Boy Micro now. It is awesome. I wish I bought it years ago. I could have used it to play games in class much more stealthily.
Yeah but not really that playable imo since the screen is...well, micro. It's a cool little thing to have just for the sake of having one though!

commissar

I too was interested in the bit generation stuff but honestly, excluding perhaps 3 hours of Minish Cap, my micro has only been a Rhythm Tengoku machine
and that's all it'll ever be

Gazunta

The best GBA game is Rebelstar Tactical Command and anyone who says otherwise just hasn't played Rebelstar Tactical Command.

It is pretty much unplayable on a GBA Micro

Kritz

Banned
I don't miss the days of watching E3 until 3-4am and heading into work at 7.

Actually, I totally miss those days.

I'm on record as saying the questions tend to scare away new posters. Let it go, guys. If you're lurking and want to post on Ausgaf, just do it, don't worry about the questionnaire.

I have noticed ausgaf has been rather quiet of late, even during the work week.

yeah really jambo, enoughs enough

Shaneus

I'll stay up to watch a conference when something remotely interesting is even rumoured to be showing. As it is right now, I know Driveclub is coming in October and there's no such thing as Project Gotham Racing 5 (and never will be, apparently). So E3 can go fuck itself.

But seriously, you go ahead and enjoy it though!
and post all about it here so I can save some time :)

Holy shit there are aussies currently playing Jedi Academy.
Yeah! A couple of mates and I played it for a couple of hours last night, most of that on the AusGamers server (there's tons of servers still online!).

Also: I could never understand why people took days or weeks off for E3. It's just not that interesting to me. I'll read wrap-ups in the morning and maybe a couple of articles, and that's that. It's a nice news week but that's about it for me. I can understand people who are really excited getting up early for press conferences, but to me that's the extreme, not taking time off...

Also: I could never understand why people took days or weeks off for E3. It's just not that interesting to me. I'll read wrap-ups in the morning and maybe a couple of articles, and that's that. It's a nice news week but that's about it for me. I can understand people who are really excited getting up early for press conferences, but to me that's the extreme, not taking time off...

People take time off for tons of stupid shit. I take time off at E3 to laugh at the stupid shit video game producers spend their money on. Mr Caffeine, Jaime Kennedy, Ravi Drums, all that shit is hilarious and entertaining on fuck all sleep!

Clocked 2 games this week!

Resogun is fucking awesome. Love it even more than SSDHD. No complaints here. Even plays great at 30fps on Vita.

5/5

Stick it to the Man is fucking great. Dialogue is by the Dinosaur Comics dude, it's hilarious and droll and really enjoyable. Everything about the game is super nice and cuddly, aside from 1 poorly structured stealth sequence which threw up a red herring at me out of nowhere and pissed me off to no end. Had to change tactic under the assumption my game had glitched out and the illusion of a second win path was evidently false. Controlling the quick move/sticker slap can be messy too during these segments since it's all on one button press.
Totally feels like an old school Lucasarts game though. Nice basic platforming with super easy puzzles but it's all quietly hilarious and adorable. Really nice game overall, a joy to go through. The voice acting really is fantastic, I hope they can pull together another project like this as it radiates love and happiness in such a way that few games do these days. It's not trying to say something, just give you a quirky adventure game. We need more of games like this.
Uses the speaker on the DS4 for all the mind talking which is a really nice touch.

4.5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom