• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
AusGAF, what's your favourite Australian-made game?

Either one of the two greatest sports games ever made:

International Cricket (NES)

220px-InternationalCricketAUBoxShotNES.jpg

Aussie Rules Footy (NES)

Aussie_Rules_Footy_cover_art.jpg

Too bad the prequel was moved off shore =[

So true. I never played Dark Reign 2, but it didn't really make much of a splash.

Let's also not forget great Pandemic games like Destroy All Humans! and Mercenaries. I still need to get around to picking up The Saboteur.

Shaneus

So true. I never played Dark Reign 2, but it didn't really make much of a splash.

Let's also not forget great Pandemic games like Destroy All Humans! and Mercenaries. I still need to get around to picking up The Saboteur.
You really, really, really do need to get it. To this day, still my favourite open-world, story-focused title (I place Crackdown in a slightly different genre).

Crackdown is more of a sandbox game with very little structure to it. The fun in that game was break the confines of the typical video game.
it was incredibly rough and did most things poorly, but it gave you a ton of room to bend the game to your whim from moment to moment.

The Saboteur was very much Mercs with more focus on a fleshed out story. LA Noire actually reminded me of a more refined but scoped back Saboteur.
Again, a lot of the fun in Saboteur is when you break the game and can just straight up slaughter shitloads of Nazi's and abuse the stealth/ability system beyond logical constraints (Alpha Protocol was similar in that regard).

Nah don't worry :) I've played approximately 30 minutes of my copy of hard reset about 6 months ago so i will need get around to playing it too (Damn you stream sales etc.)
No problems. Hopefully it won't get shelved!
It'll probably be shelved for a while. :(

I'll be The Saboteur stick in the mud. I've played a couple of hours of it (up until maybe the
car race or just after that
) and I found it incredibly clunky, even trying to allow for it being an older mid tier game. The story was pretty ordinary but it just looked and felt awful to me. Been meaning to give it a second chance but haven't yet.

Also, if you want to use a controller, from memory you have to have the controller disabled until you get in game otherwise it freaks out. It was something weird like that.

Shaneus

Crackdown is more of a sandbox game with very little structure to it. The fun in that game was break the confines of the typical video game.
it was incredibly rough and did most things poorly, but it gave you a ton of room to bend the game to your whim from moment to moment.
Very true. I guess I never picked up on it, but there IS a difference between a sandbox game and an open-world one. One's "do anything you want, but if you like you can do this shit", whereas the other is "do anything you want, kinda, but to access these areas you have to follow the story". I loved that with Crackdown, on my second playthrough I tried to take down some of the bigger bosses early on and found it punishing as hell. Fun, though.

The Saboteur was very much Mercs with more focus on a fleshed out story. LA Noire actually reminded me of a more refined but scoped back Saboteur.
Again, a lot of the fun in Saboteur is when you break the game and can just straight up slaughter shitloads of Nazi's and abuse the stealth/ability system beyond logical constraints (Alpha Protocol was similar in that regard).
Mmmm... maybe. I found a lot of the fun was getting immersed in the story and atmosphere.

The Saboteur sounds great! Thanks for the input everyone.
It's fucking awesome. But it can be flaky to try and run it on PC. Console experience (at least, the 360 one) was a lot smoother despite the framerate difference against the PC one.

I'll be The Saboteur stick in the mud. I've played a couple of hours of it (up until maybe the
) and I found it incredibly clunky, even trying to allow for it being an older mid tier game. The story was pretty ordinary but it just looked and felt awful to me. Been meaning to give it a second chance but haven't yet.
Eh, I appreciate it for what it tried to do, not what it tried to do well and failed at (ie. the lack of polish stuff).

Also, if you want to use a controller, from memory you have to have the controller disabled until you get in game otherwise it freaks out. It was something weird like that.

Isn't that part of the game just the prologue? Or maybe it's a different race I'm thinking of.

Also yeah, PC port was bad. That was a terrible TERRIBLE time for PC ports :(

kyser73

AusGAF, what's your favourite Australian-made game?

Mine is Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo by Melbourne House.

Way of the Exploding Fist, or possibly your own choice.

Brisgaf represent!! Just tried adding you on PSN but it didn't work for some reason. My PSN ID is stackboyroyale if you want to add me. Keen for Driveclub!

Yeah! It may be that the Kyser_in_Oz didn't work as it's an SEN account I had to create to redeem an Oz PSN card my wife bought for my birthday, and I can't remember if Sony's imbecilic account system links the two. Try KYSER_SOZE_SW2 as that's my primary account...if not, when my PS4 arrives from the UK I'll add you then...still 6 weeks away *sobs*

radaxian

Did an Australian dev house make SWAT4? Because that game rocks. PreBioshock Irrational? Oh also those crazy comic book Freedom Force games.

Yep in Braddon Canberra - formerly Irrational then 2K Australia. They worked on various aspects and ports of Bioshock games and before that SWAT4 according to Wikipedia. Looking it up reminds me that I unsuccessfully applied for a programming job there back in around 2004. (would have been a good time to join if I'd made it!)

This Chromecast thing is terrible. Incredibly temperamental wifi signal that drops out for any number of unknown reasons because Google has simplified the whole thing to WORKING or NOT WORKING.
Incredibly cheap design with probably incredibly cheap innards going by the fact it cannot maintain a signal with my router tonight regardless of every other device working fine as always.
I would NOT recommend it to anyone, at any price. Better off buying a PS3 on special ($199 with Minecraft atm at KMart) than trying to use this as a media device.

0/5 - would not cast again

Why do we like Google again?

I guess it could be my router? Any recommendations for a super awesome ADSL2+ modem slash router? I go ether from the PC and wifi for phones/tablet/PS4/WiiU.

Yeah! It may be that the Kyser_in_Oz didn't work as it's an SEN account I had to create to redeem an Oz PSN card my wife bought for my birthday, and I can't remember if Sony's imbecilic account system links the two. Try KYSER_SOZE_SW2 as that's my primary account...if not, when my PS4 arrives from the UK I'll add you then...still 6 weeks away *sobs*
I could only find Kyser. Let us known once you get hooked up!

Quasar

This Chromecast thing is terrible. Incredibly temperamental wifi signal that drops out for any number of unknown reasons because Google has simplified the whole thing to WORKING or NOT WORKING.
Incredibly cheap design with probably incredibly cheap innards going by the fact it cannot maintain a signal with my router tonight regardless of every other device working fine as always.
I would NOT recommend it to anyone, at any price. Better off buying a PS3 on special ($199 with Minecraft atm at KMart) than trying to use this as a media device.

0/5 - would not cast again

Why do we like Google again?

Well it works perfectly for me. In the I guess year I've had mine I don't think its dropped out once. Maybe you got a faulty one. That said I would rather have been able to buy a version with ethernet.

It continues to be my favourite streaming device out of those I've tried (ps3, ps4,360, appletv, ouya).

r1chard

OK, so, The Last of Us. That was pretty damned good, except the bits where it reminded me I was playing janky Uncharted pew-pew annoying bits.

Nope. I use plex with it almost every day. Initially there was when plex for chromecast started (mostly it was its inability to display subs properly), but thats all been ironed out for me.

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Works fine for maybe 70% of the day but it will go to shit for 4-5 hours a day randomly. Seems to hold wifi signal and then drop out completely only to pick up again randomly later. Might be overheating? Does that mess up wifi?

I don't understand magnets :/

Omikron

We may be out of the world cup, but god damn I am getting up to watch us attempt to match it with the (former) world champions. :D

(also, Wolf Among Us on Steam is $8.49, avail cheaper elsewhere apparently, but buy it. It is fantastic.)

Plex streaming to mine works flawlessly, discounting winphone incompatibility. You may have a dud or network fault. Test it out at a mate's place.

Yup imma try a different router and TV.

Could it be weather related? It was blustery as fuck earlier and it kept dropping out but it's been solid as a rock for the last 45 minutes.

I blame the magnets. Or the fact that whenever I want this stuff to work for a specific thing it always seems to fail >_<

Dead Man

Yes you do.
You really, really, really do need to get it. To this day, still my favourite open-world, story-focused title (I place Crackdown in a slightly different genre).

Do it. I think it's their best game! Was a great open world game at a time when there were very few good ones. Love the music, the world and the art style. Really great romp, pretty sure I got 1000 gamerscore in that one :)

Sometimes you restore my faith in humanity, AusGAF. Saboteur is amazing. Really fucking unfinished in places, but still outstanding gaming fun. The graphics are rough, I think the story was cut in half late in the game (no proof, but there are weird gaps and jumps in the story from memory), some of the voice work is laughable, and the gunplay is average at best. But damn if it isn't a great game regardless. Only game I have got all the trophies for on PS3.

Pandemic were shut down by EA before The Saboteur even came out :(

Also Timesplitters 2 > Perfect Dark.

Also first season of Parks & Rec was great. Just realised Adam Scott joins the cast next season. I can't fucking stand Adam Scott. I wonder if I'll be able to watch it despite this fact.

We may be out of the world cup, but god damn I am getting up to watch us attempt to match it with the (former) world champions. :D

(also, Wolf Among Us on Steam is $8.49, avail cheaper elsewhere apparently, but buy it. It is fantastic.)

Just bought Wolf Among Us. Can't wait to play it.

Isn't that part of the game just the prologue? Or maybe it's a different race I'm thinking of.

Also yeah, PC port was bad. That was a terrible TERRIBLE time for PC ports :(

The race is at the beginning in the prologue. Maybe half an hour to an hour into the game.

I'm up to
going back to paris after hanging out with the church guy
and im super bored of it. i find the car physics and behaviour bizarre and i dont like it. gunplay is fun though.

edit: I've spent about $20 on the sale so far. I got Skyrim Legendary, Battleblock Theatre, Super House of Dead Ninjas, Sir, You Are Being Hunted and GTA5 preorder at Ozgameshop ($52 w/ coupon) steamkey

Also first season of Parks & Rec was great. Just realised Adam Scott joins the cast next season. I can't fucking stand Adam Scott. I wonder if I'll be able to watch it despite this fact.

He's a muuuuuch better character than Mark. Far less douchey than Adam Scott's usual roles and has fantastic chemistry with Amy Poehler and Rob Lowe. Plus if you've just finished the first season, it gets way way way better.

also on steam- Lego Movie videogame is US$7.50cheap (US) and SRIV is $10.

Rizzi

It's weird, as soon as I got my Wii U a few weeks ago I haven't really touched my PS4.
I played halfway through Watchdogs and quit, and now there isn't really anything I actually want to play on the thing.

senahorse

He's a muuuuuch better character than Mark. Far less douchey than Adam Scott's usual roles and has fantastic chemistry with Amy Poehler and Rob Lowe. Plus if you've just finished the first season, it gets way way way better.

also on steam- Lego Movie videogame is US$7.50cheap (US) and SRIV is $10.

All the lego games are 75% off, might get the hobbit as well.

senahorse

They are on Steam but since Disney bought LucasArts they don't seem to go on sale.

I haven't played a lot of them but LOTR was really great.

Just finished up Dark Souls 2 last night. It was... pretty good. I was disappointed by how easy the last bosses were.

Now the only question is what do I play next?

Shaneus

Sometimes you restore my faith in humanity, AusGAF. Saboteur is amazing. Really fucking unfinished in places, but still outstanding gaming fun. The graphics are rough, I think the story was cut in half late in the game (no proof, but there are weird gaps and jumps in the story from memory), some of the voice work is laughable, and the gunplay is average at best. But damn if it isn't a great game regardless. Only game I have got all the trophies for on PS3.
:D
I should fire it up and finish it on 360. It's too much of a bitch getting it running well on PC (with an ATI card) and at least it's relatively plug-and-play. Plus, nudie patch.

Are we having fun yet?

The race is at the beginning in the prologue. Maybe half an hour to an hour into the game.

I'm up to
going back to paris after hanging out with the church guy
and im super bored of it. i find the car physics and behaviour bizarre and i dont like it. gunplay is fun though.
Yeah, I do hear you on that... but I tend to get caught up in the atmosphere and aesthetic of a game and am willing to overlook lack of polish if it's done well. The black and white-to-colour when you liberate areas of the city is done so incredibly well, the music is perfect and the vibe in general is insanely well done. If only such care was taken these days to try and create something as moody and enveloping as was done with The Saboteur. Fuck "cinematic experiences" and bombastic setpieces (though Saboteur did have it's share of those at times), just create me a world I feel like I'm a part of.

Just finished up Dark Souls 2 last night. It was... pretty good. I was disappointed by how easy the last bosses were.

Now the only question is what do I play next?
Uuuh... The Saboteur?

Stackboy

I reckon the first season is the weakest. It just keeps getting better from there!

I can already see myself moving straight onto Arkham City, after finishing Arkham Asylum again. Bought Batman: Arkham Origins in the Steam sale. Is it as buggy on the PC as everyone says? Or just the same amount of buggy that the PS3 version was?

Stackboy

I've added your UK account, sorry for your 6 week wait :(

Which is the best of those available on steam?

Also, why no star wars etc ones on steam? Licensing?

The Marvel one is amazing. Probably my favourite since the OT Star Wars ones. I wasn't completely sold on the LotR one because of the cut scenes just using audio from the movies, but the game itself is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom