• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

So with my planned WiiU pickup I've been thinking about trawling the used shelves for the few really good Wii games. Now either of both Mario Galaxies are on my list, not sure what else. What else might I look for? Paper Mario? Metroid! Skyward Sword?

I'm mostly interested in wii exclusive things that wont get incremental updates with a wiiu sequel.

Heh.

I haven't looked yet, but I still have games from 2-3 steam sales ago that I haven't even touched yet. I think I'm worn out spending money on games because of good deals that I might never play anyway.

So with my planned WiiU pickup I've been thinking about trawling the used shelves for the few really good Wii games. Now either of both Mario Galaxies are on my list, not sure what else. What else might I look for? Paper Mario? Metroid! Skyward Sword?

I'm mostly interested in wii exclusive things that wont get incremental updates with a wiiu sequel.

maybe you need to get the Wii U first and play those first.

Rizzi

Xenoblade Chronicle and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Quasar

maybe you need to get the Wii U first and play those first.

Hey now. Don't connect those two different parts of my brain.

Besides I feel its a bit different as Its pretty much my first foray into nintendo games (have never owned nintendo hardware - aside from a hand me down game and watch) except from some limited dabbling with Twilight Princess and Wii Sports. So it will have a freshness that adding to my steam stockpile wont :)

Of course those thoughts have been raised in terms of even buying the wiiu. If I have that steam stockpile, will I even use the wiiu? Though I've continued to use my PS4 even when not playing much on my PC. Mostly games I can snack on, rather than games I need to put aside large amounts of time.

hamchan

Hey now. Don't connect those two different parts of my brain.

Besides I feel its a bit different as Its pretty much my first foray into nintendo games (have never owned nintendo hardware - aside from a hand me down game and watch) except from some limited dabbling with Twilight Princess and Wii Sports. So it will have a freshness that adding to my steam stockpile wont :)

Of course those thoughts have been raised in terms of even buying the wiiu. If I have that steam stockpile, will I even use the wiiu? Though I've continued to use my PS4 even when not playing much on my PC. Mostly games I can snack on, rather than games I need to put aside large amounts of time.

If it's your first time playing Nintendo games... You have like 3 decades worth of games to play.

A Boy and His Blob and Kirby's Adventure Wii are cute platformers. Blob is more puzzle focused (and has a hug button :3) while Kirby has four player multi.

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise is a quirky rhythm game

Disaster: Day of Crisis is... I don't even know. A bit of everything (driving, light gun, adventuring, QTEfesting) packed into every disaster movie ever.

Punch-Out!! is as much a rhythm/puzzle game as it is a boxing game in terms of figuring out opponent patterns and getting timing down. Lots of character.

Red Steel 2 is kinda like a first person character action game but not quite. Stylish shooting/slashing action.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies is a super Japanese, arcadey rail shooter.

Then there's stuff like Donkey Kong Country Returns, the Super Mario Galaxy games and Sonic Colours which have already gotten Wii U sequels (though 3D World has a different formula to the Galaxy games and Lost World is shit). Xenoblade Chronicles too.

Ashtrax

What else might I look for? Paper Mario? Metroid! Skyward Sword?

There are some quality gems on the Wii, some may be harder to find but if you can get them, wicked! As it stands, apart from Nintendo, Capcom has had a great run of games on the console.

I recommend off the top of my head (Some titles have been re-released in HD on the PS3, but were great on the Wii):

- Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [Nintendo]
- Metroid: Prime Trilogy [Nintendo]
- Project Zero 2: Wii Edition [Nintendo]
- Punch Out! [Nintendo]
- Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 [Nintendo]
- Super Paper Mario [Nintendo]

- Okami [Capcom]
- Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition [Capcom]
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars [Capcom]
- Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaro's Treasure [Capcom]

- No More Heroes 1/2 [Grasshopper Manufacture]

- Dead Space: Extraction [EA]

So I'm going to try and grab a WiiU on Thursday and I was wondering about that Mario Kart 8 deal. Do we also get that register MK to get a free game deal? Is the free game a download version? Will there be enough room on a basic to even download one of the games? Also where is the cheapest place to get Aussie stock of MK8?

Ashtrax

Do we also get that register MK to get a free game deal? Is the free game a download version? Will there be enough room on a basic to even download one of the games?

Yeah, the free game is a download version when you register the Club Nintendo code that comes with MK8. I would suggest getting a Premium over a Basic if you can, just so you can get that extra internal space, especially as there has been a major OS updates since launch. But I reckon you could probably fit the free game on the Basic (depending of course on which one you get).

Not sure about the best deals at the moment. Dick Smith has a 24 hour deal today I think, they might have something...

Yeah, the free game is a download version when you register the Club Nintendo code that comes with MK8. I would suggest getting a Premium over a Basic if you can, just so you can get that extra internal space, especially as there has been a major OS updates since launch. But I reckon you could probably fit the free game on the Basic (depending of course on which one you get).

Not sure about the best deals at the moment. Dick Smith has a 24 hour deal today I think, they might have something...

I'll be going the basic because Kmart have it for $179 next week. Thanks for all the info.

I can't have a US Nintendo account on a PAL WiiU right? People are selling those club Nintendo codes for $20 US on GAF. Can you only use the code once to get 1 free game, or can you register multiple copies of MK8 and get a few of the download games? I have no clue how Nintendo's online account thing works but I'm assuming it's terrible?

Box of Bunnies is on the money, apologies! I'm so used to picking up disc versions of games, it's easy to overlook.

I'm pretty much disc only for retail games but I'm most of the way to filling up my premium from updates/VC/the odd eShop game.

where were you two when I asked for recommendations for my new Wii like 2 weeks ago. :mad:

Sorry! I actually meant to dump my big list of Wii game recs when you asked I just kinda forgot about it

I can't have a US Nintendo account on a PAL WiiU right? People are selling those club Nintendo codes for $20 US on GAF. Can you only use the code once to get 1 free game, or can you register multiple copies of MK8 and get a few of the download games? I have no clue how Nintendo's online account thing works but I'm assuming it's terrible?

Nah, you can only have accounts from within the region of the system (so, for example, I have a UK account for Wii Karaoke U).

You can only register MK8 once on a Club Nintendo account but using sockpuppet CN accounts would allow for getting multiple downloads since the actual eShop code isn't tied to the account.

Ashtrax

where were you two when I asked for recommendations for my new Wii like 2 weeks ago. :mad:

If only the admins had activated my account sooner!!!

Well it's coming to tax time, and I'm looking at picking up a new GPU for my PC so I can claim it... Here is my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60Ghz
RAM: Corsair 16GB 1600Mhz
GPU: ASUS 4GB R9 290 Reference
2560 x 1440 Monitor

I'm looking at switching over to the green side, and am about to hit the button on a 6GB Titan Black, so I can move my R9 to my gaming HTPC.

What are people's thoughts? The core reason I'm leaning towards the TB is the VRAM, despite the price increase, and I haven't seen anywhere that stocks the 6GB 780 GTX TI as an equivalent choice.

Quasar

Where the eff am I going to get Galaxy cheap tho

Funny you say that. I took a short round trip to the various pawn shops locally. None of them stock Wii stuff at all. Shit tons of 360 and PS3 gear. Not even crappy Wii software. Bummed about that. I know EB is selling Galaxy 1 for 20-odd$. Might be forced to go there.

Funny you say that. I took a short round trip to the various pawn shops locally. None of them stock Wii stuff at all. Shit tons of 360 and PS3 gear. Not even crappy Wii software. Bummed about that. I know EB is selling Galaxy 1 for 20-odd$. Might be forced to go there.

Wait, what? I've never seen them sell Galaxy 1 below $40 pre-owned, even after the Player's Choice titles became available locally.
*checks EB website*
Ahh, so it's $28 preowned during this sale? Pity they don't seem to have any copies at my local stores.

kyser73

Hi AusGaf!

Arrived in Aus with wife (an OzBrit) & kids about 6 weeks ago in Brisbane (Kedron), just in time to experience the Maroons lose Origin for the first time in ever. It's all very scary & a little overwhelming but I'm starting to settle. Now I just need to find a job!

Is there a BrisGaf contingent?

Will there be a few AusGaf Driveclubs?

My new PSN ID is Kyser_in_Oz, not that I have a console to play ATM as it's on the boat and still about 6 weeks away from arrival :(

I like stuff, and don't like Abbott or Campbell Newman. I'm going to miss local versions of Netflix, Amazon and 6-day a week 10pm closing times for supermarkets.

So anyway, hi.

I like stuff, and don't like Abbott or Campbell Newman. I'm going to miss local versions of Netflix, Amazon and 6-day a week 10pm closing times for supermarkets.

You can netflix easy enough. There's a lot of supermarkets that are 6am to 12am 7 days a week. Amazon you're fucked with though

radaxian

You can only register MK8 once on a Club Nintendo account but using sockpuppet CN accounts would allow for getting multiple downloads since the actual eShop code isn't tied to the account.

Yes I hit this approach hard. Managed to snag 3 copies of the retail game locally for $52 each at launch and then sold 2 of them on eBay without the code a couple of weeks later for $50 & $60. You could probably still do OK buying JB copies at $69 and selling them off if you want more eShop game codes for ~$20. It's a bunch of messing about of course but Nintendo never seems to discount first party stuff on eShop so it's a great way to get convenient digital versions of great games.

Regarding Wii games - I managed to snag cheap used copies from a massive UK based eBay seller called eStocks. They currently have over 11,000 games listed (not to mention 463,000 music cd/dvds!) so it helps to be looking for specific things. In the last 18 months I managed to get copies of things like Galaxy 1/2 for about ~$20 shipped, Metroid Trilogy for ~$40, and Mario All-Stars for ~$35. I've also bought mountains of PS2 games from them.

A couple of tips if you want to try and snag some bargains this way:
  • eStocks uses fixed price buy-it-now auctions BUT they sometimes list games at a high starting price and adjust the price down until it sells. For a while they started all games auctions at 99 pounds but don't seem to do that much any more.
  • Postage is fixed at £1.5 - very cheap
  • You need to be quick buying popular games as they usually don't last long once listed
  • The whole thing is clearly automated so you see lots of strange spelling and repeat items.
  • Everything but 3 items have arrived from several hundred orders so delivery is reasonably reliable (but slow - can be 2-4 weeks).

I just looked them up out of interest - apparently the second largest eBay seller in the world!

seanoff

Hi AusGaf!

So anyway, hi.

with supermarkets you could move to a more advanced civilisation. i.e. not QLD, WA or SA. lots of live with 7 day trading to 10pm or midnight.

Brisbane isn't all that scary.

kyser73

Through some dns trickery and legal gymnastics you can get netflix here pretty easily.

eat some steak and bacon pies to help lament the loss of speedy amazon shipping, though.

I am most impressed with the concept of the drive-thru pie (and indeed drive-thru offie), and indeed the pies themselves. Actual MEAT rather than 2 inches of pastry and a couple of scraps of off cuts.

What's better for netflix - full VPN or IP mask?

black flag is $20 (from US) on steam, Tempted to grab it but it will probably be cheaper later on.

I was tempted for 10 seconds then remembered that Assassin's Creed games are repetitive, homogenized, overproduced trash, and horribly optimized on PC to boot. It sure does make my decision a lot easier!

Quasar

What's better for netflix - full VPN or IP mask?

Well dns services like Getflix work perfectly well. In fact in some instances they work better as it can be setup for multiple regions at once so you can access say Netflix as a US person and the BBCs iPlayer as a UK person at the same time.

radaxian

Well dns services like Getflix work perfectly well. In fact in some instances they work better as it can be setup for multiple regions at once so you can access say Netflix as a US person and the BBCs iPlayer as a UK person at the same time.

Getflix worked fine for me but I found it slow as a general DNS when having it set as the universal DNS in the main router. Suggest setting it up as required device by device instead.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I was tempted for 10 seconds then remembered that Assassin's Creed games are repetitive, homogenized, overproduced trash, and horribly optimized on PC to boot. It sure does make my decision a lot easier!

I think black flag was meant to be really good, Going by what people are saying (even rep in here loved it).

The PC port is probably not the greatest like a typical UBI, But it seems like it's good enough for the most part.

kyser73

Getflix worked fine for me but I found it slow as a general DNS when having it set as the universal DNS in the main router. Suggest setting it up as required device by device instead.

Thanks guys.

Darklord

Banned
Who the fuck at TAB thought a guy screaming into the camera would be a good ad to play again and again and again during the world cup? It's one of the most obnoxious ads I've seen in ages.

Darklord

Banned
waM9Veo.jpg

Oh man. I don't even want a PS4 but I know I will eventually. I can either wait and probably spend $600 on a destiny bundle to buy this and just have it sit there for a while. But it's so cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom