• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
I need some help. I'm going overseas to Europe and was thinking of getting a cash debit card to use over there but I'll be in Denmark for about 6 days and none of them that I can find seem to accept Krone currency. Anyone traveled there have an idea what I could do? Are cash cards even worth it?

r1chard

I need some help. I'm going overseas to Europe and was thinking of getting a cash debit card to use over there but I'll be in Denmark for about 6 days and none of them that I can find seem to accept Krone currency. Anyone traveled there have an idea what I could do? Are cash cards even worth it?
Get some hard currency before you leave (a few hundred tops, you can always take more out at an ATM if you have pretty much any Aussie bank account and have this logo or this logo on your savings/cheque account card somewhere) and use credit (VISA, Mastercard) by default. Just don't get cash by credit card cash advance, and don't bother with cash cards or traveller's cheques or any of that nonsense.

Darklord

Banned
Get some hard currency before you leave (a few hundred tops, you can always take more out at an ATM if you have pretty much any Aussie bank account) and use credit (VISA, Mastercard) by default.

Aren't there crazy high conversion and withdrawal fees if you're using a normal debit card though?

r1chard

Aren't there crazy high conversion and withdrawal fees if you're using a normal debit card though?
You will get hit with a fee, but honestly, you're there for 6 days (it's unlikely you'll need more than the cash you take with you or what you use your credit card for).

Edit: yes, there's a foreign transaction fee for credit card use, but it's stuff-all, like 1.5% or something.

Darklord

Banned
You will get hit with a fee, but honestly, you're there for 6 days (it's unlikely you'll need more than the cash you take with you or what you use your credit card for).

Well I'm in Denmark for 6 days. I'm overseas in Europe for 22 days. The hostels I'm staying at are cash on arrival so I'll need a fair bit overall.

r1chard

Well I'm in Denmark for 6 days. I'm overseas in Europe for 22 days.
Righto. I'd still go with plan A, personally :)

Edit: also the ATM withdrawal fee looks like it's usually just the usual $2-$4 like you get hit with here using a not-your-own-bank ATM so as long as you don't do it often...

Darklord

Banned
Righto. I'd still go with plan A, personally :)

Edit: also the ATM withdrawal fee looks like it's usually just the usual $2-$4 like you get hit with here using a not-your-own-bank ATM so as long as you don't do it often...

I have Cirrus on my debit card but not the other, I'd assume that would be ok in Europe then so I could use that. Cheers!

r1chard

I have Cirrus on my debit card but not the other, I'd assume that would be ok in Europe then so I could use that. Cheers!
Just be very careful you don't do the transaction using your credit account or you'll be hit with a cash advance fee (and those are hefty).

I'm in Europe ATM so I can advise. Whirlpool forums recommended the Citibank Saver bank account for overseas transactions. Takes about 2-3 weeks to set it up. You apply online and then the quickest way to do it is print a form and take it to your nearest Postoffice so they can confirm your identity. Online identity confirmaiton is slow and broken. Once the account is open they send out a VISA debit card. There are no foreign transaction charges. Citibank is one of the bigger US banks so it works everywhere. Currency exchange rate is one of the best. Google the Whirlpool forum thead and check it out. Works like a champ for me in Uk, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium. Just make sure you grab the mobile app and setup the online stuff before you go because otherwise it sends you SMS codes to login online.

Darklord

Banned
I'm in Europe ATM so I can advise. Whirlpool forums recommended the Citibank Saver bank account for overseas transactions. Takes about 2-3 weeks to set it up. You apply online and then the quickest way to do it is print a form and take it to your nearest Postoffice so they can confirm your identity. Online identity confirmaiton is slow and broken. Once the account is open they send out a VISA debit card. There are no foreign transaction charges. Citibank is one of the bigger US banks so it works everywhere. Currency exchange rate is one of the best. Google the Whirlpool forum thead and check it out. Works like a champ for me in Uk, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium. Just make sure you grab the mobile app and setup the online stuff before you go because otherwise it sends you SMS codes to login online.

I'm leaving in a week and a half so I have no time. I don't mind paying a few dollars. I'm with commonwealth bank so it should be alright. I'll just make few a have a few hundred for Denmark then can use Euros after that.

Yeah just withdraw from ATMs in big chunks of cash to limit the fees. Try not to get mugged though!
Pretty much what I always did when overseas. It still works out cheaper and easier than buying foreign currency in Australia.

Mrs Squirrel is heading out first thing in the morning to buy her manchild husband a Wii U. I love this woman.

Too bad I won't be home for another week :/

Ingram

Guys! Is $348.15 decent for the WiiU Premo Mario Kart 8 bundle? I don't want the basic so I'm left to try and get the Premo as cheap as possible. This is best I can do from Target.

Still have a month for the MK8 free game deal so still time to find a better deal...

Darklord

Banned
Guys! Is $348.15 decent for the WiiU Premo Mario Kart 8 bundle? I don't want the basic so I'm left to try and get the Premo as cheap as possible. This is best I can do from Target.

Still have a month for the MK8 free game deal so still time to find a better deal...

It's $377 for me. How'd you get $348? That's still a good deal.

I'm leaving in a week and a half so I have no time. I don't mind paying a few dollars. I'm with commonwealth bank so it should be alright. I'll just make few a have a few hundred for Denmark then can use Euros after that.

I applied for one about a month ago and I had the card within a week.

Quasar

Well that sucked. got to my local Kmart at around 7:10. Already sold out. Apparently folks came though at midnight and picked their stock clean.

Tommy DJ

Rushed into Preston Target and got one. Apparently they have some stock left because they announced the deal so late and don't open until 8.00. Its also $178 there so its cheaper than Kmart.

I doubt they'll be in stock for long but its worth a try. Three other people were right behind me so obviously people want a Wii U at this price.

It's $377 for me. How'd you get $348? That's still a good deal.

That's the instore price as far as I know. I think I saw a sale sticker advertising that bundle as $348 just a few minutes ago.

Jintor

I mean, I don't regret regret paying $300-ish for my bundle since I already had a hdd and I got 4 games out of it, but still

Are we talking about ones from Hong Kong? If so, I'll give it a try since $25 for a Wiimote is miles better than the $50 they're asking for at JB Hi Fi or whatever.
Yeah ones like that, pretty sure through a store in Sydney. Got 2 mote+ for about $50 total. I'll dig back through my account for the seller once our comms at work are back up lol

Yeah, if there isn't anything you want to play on it, then you probably should hold off.
Or you end up like me with my PS4. :p
But it's new (to me) and shiny!

Yeah I don't really need it...

Just accept it as a holiday cost, like insurance or a hotel, and you'll become a lot more relaxed about the whole thing. If you're overseas for around four weeks, you probably won't take out money more than a dozen times. I doubt you'd spend $100 on those fees at most. You'll probably waste more money at shitty cafes in that same time.

Just be very careful you don't do the transaction using your credit account or you'll be hit with a cash advance fee (and those are hefty).
Agreed. Some European ATMs actually default to using the credit card for withdrawals, even if you have other accounts linked. I recommend using a regular ATM card in the first instance if you have that. In fact, overseas is the only time I ever use that card.

It's the EOFY toy sale, which is a much bigger deal than just the Wii U. I'm not surprised those mums draw blood.

FTFY

I've finally convinced the wife to avoid these sales for the past 2 years. The prices are NEVER cheaper than later in the year anyway. Aside from huge firesale type stuff, like the WiiU, which is also being firesold at other retailers too.

kyser73

Check with your bank as to their fees are for overseas withdrawls - get used to not being asked for CHQ-SAV.CRE as well, as European ATMs and EFTPoS don't ask for it.

I've always found using a credit or debit card best - you get the bank's current spot rate on conversion, and usually the fees aren't too high...well they aren't with UK banks, not sure about Aus ones.

Just got a call from the wife to say she got me the WiiU from Kmart, I'm so spoilt :)

So how much credit could I get from EB for the skylanders pack and Nintendo land? I want to get Mario Kart tonight.

Tommy DJ

Just got a call from the wife to say she got me the WiiU from Kmart, I'm so spoilt :)

So how much credit could I get from EB for the skylanders pack and Nintendo land? I want to get Mario Kart tonight.

I'm going to go right now but apparently they'll take the Skylanders Swap Force Pack for $18 if Ozbargain is to be trusted.

Rizzi

I asked when I bought my Wii U from them a few weeks ago. They said like $13 for Skylanders.

Another F2P Vita game, Treasures of Montezuma: Arena. Seems a lot like Puzzle Quest. It's free.

Valiant Hearts is $20 which is $3 less than they said it would, nice.

Another World is CrossBuy (PS4/PS3/Vita) but I might give it a miss at $12, already played it a billion times.

I'm pretty shitty that the Resogun DLC got the FUCK YOU AU tax dumped on it. The first pack is $5 in the US compared to nearly $8 here, a 60% increase, and the Season Pass (which has content unknown aside from the released expansion) is $8 in the US compared to $12 here!
I really want to support Housemarque but it gives me the shits when Sony dump a tax on us for the sake of it.

ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE TIMES I SAY WHY THE FUCK DIDNT I JUST MAKE A US ACCOUNT FOR EVERYTHING AND SAVE A SHITLOAD OF MONEY >_<

Also PSA "buy" these before they stop being available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom