• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Reminds me of

hpE4luC.jpg

Stackboy

What router do you have? Is the cable from the upstairs router plugged in to your routers WAN port? Is your router in AP mode?

Have you tried reversing the polarities?

After talking to Lexi this morning she is helping me fix it over the weekend and we are going to the pub on Sunday.

I'm getting a parma, mark my words.

Rahk

What was supposed to be an hour and a bit flight to the Gold Coast is now a flight to melb with a 5 hour wait to get on another plane due to power outages at Sydney airport. Fun times ahead. Should be there by 10:30...

lexi

Banned
This is win / win. We get Australian content and a strong competitor to bring down the Foxtel monopoly + use existing Netflix US subscriptions to use Australian Netflix, as can be done by region swapping currently.

Quasar

I ended up getting them to sell me a $178 Wii U at Target last night (they appeared to only have one), then ended up getting my games from Big W at midnight - which was a mad house.

Got lucky and a local target had one left (whilst the KMarts were all bare). Thanks for mentioning Target. Never would have known except for you.

Now I have my Wiiu hooked up and SLOWLY updating. Or at least I think it is. Its sitting on an update screen not telling me how long or how big the download is with a non moving progress bar.

Quasar

This is win / win. We get Australian content and a strong competitor to bring down the Foxtel monopoly + use existing Netflix US subscriptions to use Australian Netflix, as can be done by region swapping currently.

If true, I just wonder if that means they will come down hard on all the folks using Us accounts. Paying at least 50% more for less content would be rather shitty. Its kind of why I've been in favour of the status quo. Its like the prospect of a local Amazon. All that would mean is higher prices.

Jintor

As I understand it, if you have a netflix account you can use it on any of their regional thingies (probably grey area legally but they need to have the infrastructure for people who sign up in the US and then move or travel). So if they come out here, there's no real way to identify who legitimately signed up for a US account and who did it through a VPN.

Well, I guess they could track the ip you signed up from or something.

Quasar

So with Big W apparently out of Wii Kart 8 (online and at my local stores), just where is the best deal? And how much is it on the eshop?

I see JB has it for 69$, is that my best option?

Quasar

As I understand it, if you have a netflix account you can use it on any of their regional thingies (probably grey area legally but they need to have the infrastructure for people who sign up in the US and then move or travel). So if they come out here, there's no real way to identify who legitimately signed up for a US account and who did it through a VPN.

Well, I guess they could track the ip you signed up from or something.

Fair enough.

lexi

Banned
If true, I just wonder if that means they will come down hard on all the folks using Us accounts. Paying at least 50% more for less content would be rather shitty. Its kind of why I've been in favour of the status quo. Its like the prospect of a local Amazon. All that would mean is higher prices.

I would be very surprised if Netflix did this. Also $8 a month is already a bargain.

Quasar

Target has it for $57 if you can find a store with a copy.

Thanks.

Finally finished the update. That was slow both in terms of the download and install time. And I'm used to PS3 updates :)

Also. Under 3.5GB left on my empty basic was slightly surprising. Now I didn't expect games to really fit on, but that kind of puts a crimp on where they can go in terms of OS updates.

And I have to say overall the system interface is pretty clunky in terms of finding things that should be fairly easy to find and not buried. The eShop interface really isn't to good either. But I guess that's expected.

Dryk

You know if you told me a few years that the girl who played Katara was going to be the next big Michael Bay sex symbol I would've laughed in your face. As it stands I'm still going to laugh in your face.

r1chard

Just FYI for travelling folks, I just ditched my Optus SIM (something like 15 years I'd had that sucker) for a Voda SIM 'cos Voda now have very attractive roaming in select countries. All the popular Euro ones and the USA. It's $5 per 24 hours and usage just comes off your normal plan. So if you have 3GB unlimited calls whatever then that's what you get in those countries after the $5 hit. The $5 is automatic when you use your phone in those countries (call, text, use data), so you don't have to pre-plan it, and if you don't use your phone the entire time then you only pay the $5 for the days you do use it. Calls in-country and to Oz count as just regular calls like at home.

AND NO $1/MB or even $.50/MB bollocks.

About 5 years ago, I said to my co-workers at the global roaming SIM company I worked for that when Voda got their act together they were going to destroy the global roaming SIM market. And that's what they've done. Who the hell would go to the trouble of buying a local SIM any longer either... you get to keep your Aussie number and the cost probably works out the same or in Voda's favour.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Voda, I just thought this was too good not to mention :)

Is there an historical low price for Oblivion? I'd like to give that a go on PC and it's $9.99.
It was the second game I bought on 260 back in 2006 but I didn't have time to play after the first 10 hours so I sold it. I need some extreme zoom-in NPC's in my life.

I bought Civ 5 yesterday. My first Sid Meier game. Hold me, Ausgaf. I may also try Xcom if it goes cheap.

Quasar

So, I flashed Android L over night. It's got some quirks since it is only the developer version, not the final product, but certainly feels fresh and more accessible.

One thing I wonder is what battery impact all that 3d presentation rendering has. Its actually kind of amusing. after MS kills aero eye candy that chewed gpu time (which I guess had battery impacts), Apple brings that stuff back with OSX Yosimite now google starts bringing more eye candy to the android ui.

Just FYI for travelling folks, I just ditched my Optus SIM (something like 15 years I'd had that sucker) for a Voda SIM 'cos Voda now have very attractive roaming in select countries. All the popular Euro ones and the USA. It's $5 per 24 hours and usage just comes off your normal plan. So if you have 3GB unlimited calls whatever then that's what you get in those countries after the $5 hit. The $5 is automatic when you use your phone in those countries (call, text, use data), so you don't have to pre-plan it, and if you don't use your phone the entire time then you only pay the $5 for the days you do use it. Calls in-country and to Oz count as just regular calls like at home.

AND NO $1/MB or even $.50/MB bollocks.

About 5 years ago, I said to my co-workers at the global roaming SIM company I worked for that when Voda got their act together they were going to destroy the global roaming SIM market. And that's what they've done. Who the hell would go to the trouble of buying a local SIM any longer either... you get to keep your Aussie number and the cost probably works out the same or in Voda's favour.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Voda, I just thought this was too good not to mention :)

I like the idea, however $5 a day seems steep, especially if you were to use it for more then a few days.

Omikron

Is there an historical low price for Oblivion? I'd like to give that a go on PC and it's $9.99.
It was the second game I bought on 260 back in 2006 but I didn't have time to play after the first 10 hours so I sold it. I need some extreme zoom-in NPC's in my life.

I bought Civ 5 yesterday. My first Sid Meier game. Hold me, Ausgaf. I may also try Xcom if it goes cheap.
Pretty sure it would have been $5 or less at some point.

Also welcome to the rest of your life, it's a wonderful experience. (Get the expansions!)

I bought Civ 5 yesterday. My first Sid Meier game. Hold me, Ausgaf.
Civ 5 is a fantastic way to enter the series. They've streamlined a bunch of stuff which makes it way more accessible, without really making it feel 'casual' IMO. It also explains a fair bit quite well for newcomers.

I regret not getting the expansions dirt cheap in that recent Humble Bundle...

One thing I wonder is what battery impact all that 3d presentation rendering has.
It's possible that it could be less, if the GPU can render it more efficiently than if it were software rendered. Their Volta project will hopefully make up for any shortcomings it may introduce anyway.

Quasar

So I've a chance to play with my WiiU a bit.

The much maligned controller. I found the regular controls on that perfectly good in my hands. The touch screen I found a bit poor. Even for simple text input I found I was regularly have to retouch the same areas as it did not always register my touch. Guess its just not as sensitive as my other touch screen devices (ipad3, nexus4).

Gaming though I found myself regularly forgetting I even had a touch second screen. I thought that would be a distraction. Though maybe that depends on game.

Where the hell are some wiiu card games that use the tablet? I feel magic or hearthstone would be great here. Have your hand on the tablet. Of course even better would be multiple tablets for local multiplayer for digital card and board games so people can keep their stuff secret.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Never had an issue with the touch sensitivity, might be an issue?

If you're after a game with a bit of a unique spin using the gamepad, give zombie u a go! Can be picked up qquite cheap these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom