• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Help me AusGAF, you're my only hope.

I need a new phone about the size of a HTC One mini, but not a HTC if possible. Currently have a HTC One mini, love it, except the lack of updates from HTC for bugs, and the damn frame has broken and the power button escaped my control. No idea where it is now. Only had the fucking thing 6 months.

Looking to stay with Android, and looking for a 4.3 screen if possible, 4.5 at most. Expandable memory would be nice but it's not essential, I mainly use my phone as a fancy music player so as long as the onboard storage is decent I can make do.

Sony any good?

Edit: Jesus the Sony Australia website is a piece of shit. Can't find out anything without just clicking on every damn phone.

Ashtrax

I watched Sin City last night. Enjoyed the movie cinematically, but the plot? What?

That's not the sequel you're talking about is it, A Dame to Kill For? Looking forward to that one. Eva Green is awesome in her roles, but I've still yet to see her in the sequel to 300.

Bishop89

Whats a good hdd to get thats currently on sale from harvey norman, jb etc..

Is that 1tb wd elements 3.0 portable hdd for $ 79 at harvey norman any good?

Where is the cheapest I can grab the wii u pro controller from the main outlets?

Cheers

Edit: apparently it needs to be a self powered hdd :/ thats lame.

I need a new phone about the size of a HTC One mini, but not a HTC if possible. Currently have a HTC One mini, love it, except the lack of updates from HTC for bugs, and the damn frame has broken and the power button escaped my control.
Not sure how easy it is to get in Australia, but I've been rocking a Galaxy S3 Mini (the S4 Mini is out now) and that's probably what you'd want I guess. Or the small Sony thing.

Shaneus

Help me AusGAF, you're my only hope.

I need a new phone about the size of a HTC One mini, but not a HTC if possible. Currently have a HTC One mini, love it, except the lack of updates from HTC for bugs, and the damn frame has broken and the power button escaped my control. No idea where it is now. Only had the fucking thing 6 months.

Looking to stay with Android, and looking for a 4.3 screen if possible, 4.5 at most. Expandable memory would be nice but it's not essential, I mainly use my phone as a fancy music player so as long as the onboard storage is decent I can make do.

Sony any good?

Edit: Jesus the Sony Australia website is a piece of shit. Can't find out anything without just clicking on every damn phone.
The one I was eyeballing before I decided to stick with my 4S (for the time being) was the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Full-featured/specced, around the same size of an iPhone 5 (so not bulky as shit) and pretty sure it has a micro SD slot as well. Can be had for around $500 I think?
Pretty sure the only main problem with them was an issue with the early batches where the flash would bleed into the camera lens... but I have a feeling that was fixed (at least, people were reporting it to be fixed in some batches when I last checked).

Whats a good hdd to get thats currently on sale from harvey norman, jb etc..

Is that 1tb wd elements 3.0 portable hdd for $ 79 at harvey norman any good?

Where is the cheapest I can grab the wii u pro controller from the main outlets?

Cheers

Edit: apparently it needs to be a self powered hdd :/ thats lame.

You can use a portable as long as you have one of those Y USB cables apparently.

Dead Man

Not sure how easy it is to get in Australia, but I've been rocking a Galaxy S3 Mini (the S4 Mini is out now) and that's probably what you'd want I guess. Or the small Sony thing.

The one I was eyeballing before I decided to stick with my 4S (for the time being) was the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Full-featured/specced, around the same size of an iPhone 5 (so not bulky as shit) and pretty sure it has a micro SD slot as well. Can be had for around $500 I think?
Pretty sure the only main problem with them was an issue with the early batches where the flash would bleed into the camera lens... but I have a feeling that was fixed (at least, people were reporting it to be fixed in some batches when I last checked).

Cheers, looks like the Z1C will be what I focus on then. The styling of Samsungs just doesn't work for me, too blobby (I know, I'm being picky as shit). I love the HTC design visually, but not sure if I just want the same phone again.

Wish there was a bit more out there in the <4.5 screens :/

I'll see if I can find a Sony to play around with, cheers guys.

Axiom

I ended up getting them to sell me a $178 Wii U at Target last night (they appeared to only have one), then ended up getting my games from Big W at midnight - which was a mad house.

Now to keep an eye out for a hard drive.

JediLink

So I went to get a Wii U from Kmart today, and they were all sold out! I knew that they were going to go quickly at that price, but I didn't think it'd be that quickly. I got a rain check though. It's all good.

Stackboy

So I live downstairs in a 2 storey house. Upstairs is where the internet lives, so from that router I run a cable downstairs to my router, which has its own wifi. Upstairs just got a new router and the internet runs fine through network cable, but after about 10 minutes my wireless gives up. I was thinking it could be interrupting signal, but I've changed the frequency and that hasn't helped at all.

Any ideas? Halp.

Shaneus

Cheers, looks like the Z1C will be what I focus on then. The styling of Samsungs just doesn't work for me, too blobby (I know, I'm being picky as shit). I love the HTC design visually, but not sure if I just want the same phone again.

Wish there was a bit more out there in the <4.5 screens :/

I'll see if I can find a Sony to play around with, cheers guys.
Yeah, definitely the Z1C is the way to go, IMO. It's the only one in contention for replaying my 4S. But right now, as there's nothing in the same form factor as a 4S, I'm keeping it. That's worth more to me than a bit of extra power or a better screen.
Easily the best looking one, at least:
TKHKTiN.jpg

RhRBM7p.png

lexi

Banned
So I live downstairs in a 2 storey house. Upstairs is where the internet lives, so from that router I run a cable downstairs to my router, which has its own wifi. Upstairs just got a new router and the internet runs fine through network cable, but after about 10 minutes my wireless gives up. I was thinking it could be interrupting signal, but I've changed the frequency and that hasn't helped at all.

Any ideas? Halp.

What router do you have? Is the cable from the upstairs router plugged in to your routers WAN port? Is your router in AP mode?

Have you tried reversing the polarities?

Welp you can add me to the list of new Wii U owners. I wasn't able to get to the local Target until this afternoon but to my surprise they still had plenty of stock of the Skylanders bundle. Went straight to Eb and traded in the Skylanders stuff towards a copy of Mario Kart 8, price matching Target.

Now to decide which game to get with the MK8 promotion.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Welp you can add me to the list of new Wii U owners. I wasn't able to get to the local Target until this afternoon but to my surprise they still had plenty of stock of the Skylanders bundle. Went straight to Eb and traded in the Skylanders stuff towards a copy of Mario Kart 8, price matching Target.

Super Mario 3D World or Wonderful 101 would be excellent picks.

Cheapest place for Mario Kart is Big W right? I don't know what to do about the skylanders pack, EB don't have any copies of MK8 left so there's no point trading it in. What about JB, do they price match?

Edit: shit my local Big W is all out of MK8.

Edit 2: crisis averted, Target have them for $57. The nice chap put one away for me.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

What type of games are you into?

From a purely which game is the best stand point, you couldn't go wrong with pikmin or w101, but they may not be your style! Both are quite intense and difficult games.

I got monster hunter, first ever time playing the series and am having a ball. If you like your jrpgs it's your best bet (yes guys I know it isnt)

For multiPlayer fun, wario is good. But very short, too few games.

Of course, if you haven't played wind waker before, that's probably the way to go. So good, and the miiverse integration is, surprisingly, an aspect that really fucking shines here.

Tommy DJ

Cheapest place for Mario Kart is Big W right? I don't know what to do about the skylanders pack, EB don't have any copies of MK8 left so there's no point trading it in. What about JB, do they price match?

Edit: shit my local Big W is all out of MK8.

Edit 2: crisis averted, Target have them for $57. The nice chap put one away for me.

Just make sure its one with the Club Nintendo card because people have been taking them out of the boxes to sell on Gumtree/eBay/Craigslist.

Wind Waker HD was my choice.

My source on a laptop HDD fell through so now I have to walk the wife through updating all the racing PS3 games I bought for my Dad tomorrow, including GT6 >_<

This week has been fucked. FUCKED I SAYS >_<

Also it's unfair I paid $200 a year ago for a premium WiiU while all you buggers get to enjoy a nice shiny WiiU this week for less :(

Rizzi

I paid $280 for mine at EB a few weeks ago.
Granted, I didn't have to hunt one down and fight a rabid mother looking for an early xmas present for little Timmy and it came with Mario Kart 8, so I'll call it even.

Bishop89

Welp,

Target & Kmart at chaddy sold out.

Probably should have went on my lunch break instead of after work -.-

Guess Ill be waiting till xmas for the new deals (which will hopefully feature premiums this time)

Manax

No such luck with me - "First come, first serve." Guess I'm up at dawn tomorrow.

So I went at midnight, they didn't have a single console in stock. I was first in line. They gave me a raincheck instead

Who the fuck did I talk to and who "put the stock aside" for me.

Ugh really shitty, im in no rush but I sure as hell hope they can honor the raincheck.

/Kmart Wii U rant

Tommy DJ

Good lord, I absolutely cannot find the master volume setting on the Wii U. Does anyone know where I can find that setting? The audio output through HDMI so low that I have to crank up my NAD amplifier to stupidly high levels just to hear anything. I have no such problems with my desktop, PS3, or PS4 and the Wii U is outputting audio and image so I'm assuming its not defective.

Super Mario 3D World or Wonderful 101 would be excellent picks.

What type of games are you into?

From a purely which game is the best stand point, you couldn't go wrong with pikmin or w101, but they may not be your style! Both are quite intense and difficult games.

I got monster hunter, first ever time playing the series and am having a ball. If you like your jrpgs it's your best bet (yes guys I know it isnt)

For multiPlayer fun, wario is good. But very short, too few games.

Of course, if you haven't played wind waker before, that's probably the way to go. So good, and the miiverse integration is, surprisingly, an aspect that really fucking shines here.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Wind Waker is one of my favourite Zelda games but I don't really need to play it again, I always have the Gamecube version. I've tried Monster Hunter in the past and I couldn't get into it.
I've enjoyed Platinum's games in the past so I think I may give Wonderful 101 a shot.

Quasar

Rushed into Preston Target and got one. Apparently they have some stock left because they announced the deal so late and don't open until 8.00. Its also $178 there so its cheaper than Kmart.

I doubt they'll be in stock for long but its worth a try. Three other people were right behind me so obviously people want a Wii U at this price.

Guess I better try ringing around the other targets/other kmarts.

Danoss

Iron Kingdoms RPG is the game my group is currently playing. Session 2 is scheduled for Saturday. The combat is based off the miniature wargame set in the same universe, but it isn't often that miniatures hit the table. Combat can be very dangerous and deadly; bullets and blades hurt.

One of the guys in our group hadn't picked up a miniature to put together and paint, so he used a suitable spare one belonging another player. Last session, his dude shot the living shit out of a few people in awesome and sometimes hilarious fashion, including a granny (she was summoning a demon, okay). So when I was rooting through a box of miniatures I got from Reaper earlier in the week, I came across one model that suited his character (in a way) and I had to paint it.

VqSRZgB.jpg

avh3UEj.jpg

This guy totally fits in a steampunk universe with trolls and elves and dwarves, right?

Excuse the poor photography. I couldn't be bothered to get out my SLR, so I made do. The focus isn't so far off to make these images useless, so I'll call it good enough.

DYNOMITE! DYNOMITE!

Damn figurines always get my temptations up. I can't have those things around here, even Skylanders end up scattered through the house, half pulled apart!

Ingram

It's $377 for me. How'd you get $348? That's still a good deal.

There is a $10 off code and I get 5% staff discount.

Havn't ordered it yet though. Can't help but feel Nintendo are going to bring out 64/128gb consoles soon after the Basic has been cleared out? I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom