• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, so my girlfriend and her friend are here and we all want to play NSMBU. I have one wii-mote and a pro controller... but you can't use the gamepad to actually play multiplayer. Thanks a fucking bunch Nintendo!

Dead Man

Yeah, definitely the Z1C is the way to go, IMO. It's the only one in contention for replaying my 4S. But right now, as there's nothing in the same form factor as a 4S, I'm keeping it. That's worth more to me than a bit of extra power or a better screen.
Easily the best looking one, at least:
TKHKTiN.jpg

RhRBM7p.png

Love the feature set, hate the physical feel in my hand :( One mini has an awesome rounded backplate, feels absolutley lush in the hand. But I don't think I can give them money again. Sure I'll get used to the feel of it, hard to try out without the anti theft shit on it too. So, looking out for any good prices on a Z1c I guess :)

Cheers.

civ 5 is good fun. Many, many hours have gone into it.

Right, so my girlfriend and her friend are here and we all want to play NSMBU. I have one wii-mote and a pro controller... but you can't use the gamepad to actually play multiplayer. Thanks a fucking bunch Nintendo!

It's a pain. Took me wii u to a friend's place and thought we had enough wiimotes but forgot about that with NSMBU so I had one less than needed.

One thing I wonder is what battery impact all that 3d presentation rendering has. Its actually kind of amusing. after MS kills aero eye candy that chewed gpu time (which I guess had battery impacts), Apple brings that stuff back with OSX Yosimite now google starts bringing more eye candy to the android ui.

Yeah, but there's also project Volta which further optimizes battery usage, so it sorts of evens out. When battery gets low, the new animations and features turn off automatically.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

On the upside, get more friends and wiimotes and you can have 5 person multiplayer!

Rizzi

Well this is annoying. I wanted to renew my netflix subscription, so I plopped some money on my debit card and went to subscribe.
I've got a pending charge of ~$9, and they told me there wasn't enough money on the card.
Argh.

Anyone else having trouble streaming Netflix? This last week the quality doesn't go past 480 and regularly dips below. I used to be able to stream Super HD just fine

Rizzi

Yeah, I will.
Honestly, I don't think I've had a good interaction with St. George in the three years I've had my account with them.

Quasar

Anyone else having trouble streaming Netflix? This last week the quality doesn't go past 480 and regularly dips below. I used to be able to stream Super HD just fine

Whilst no client I use tells me what stream I'm getting, I'm certainly not seeing 480p. Probably just the normal HD stream. And I haven't really seen performance dips.

I get super hd during the day, but drops at night to 720/480p. Very annoying. I really wish it was rock solid all the time.

I might give the PS3 app a try and see if that makes a difference. My browser gets HD after a little bit of buffering although not as crisp as what I had on my TV. I recall there being an update for the PS4 app recently so maybe something broke.

I've been watching Archer recently (great show!). It looks dreadful without those clean HD lines

Yeah, I will.
Honestly, I don't think I've had a good interaction with St. George in the three years I've had my account with them.

Why don't you change then? I honestly can't remember the last time I've actually seen a branch IRL.

Also why am I only just now finding out about trading TF2 keys for games.

Axiom

I never got a Wii Motion Plus, and I can't find my Wii sensor. I still feel horribly ill-equipped to have a Wii U.

I guess this year will come down to getting a 3DS or an Xbox One.

Got lucky and a local target had one left (whilst the KMarts were all bare). Thanks for mentioning Target. Never would have known except for you.

Now I have my Wiiu hooked up and SLOWLY updating. Or at least I think it is. Its sitting on an update screen not telling me how long or how big the download is with a non moving progress bar.

Awesome, glad to hear it - and yes that update took a worryingly long time.

Quasar

So what's the recommended free game with Mario Kart for a single player/one controller household?

I guess it comes down to Pikmin or the updated Zelda game?

The basic doesn't.

My mistake, for some reason they don't include it in Australia. They do in the US basic according to Nintendo.com.

I have a premium and never unpacked the sensor. But then I only play single player and have never used a wiimote with the 'U.'

r1chard

Fun SLAKfest LAN yesterday. Had a match of TF2, DOD:S and CS:GO and then people broke into whatever like DOTA or some RTS games or random stuff. I showed off some Minecraft modpacks to a bunch of people.

Next one will be on October :)

So what's the recommended free game with Mario Kart for a single player/one controller household?

I guess it comes down to Pikmin or the updated Zelda game?

It's the debate I'm having as well, except replace Pikmin with Wonderful 101.

They've made some updates to Pikmin that allow you to use the touchscreen to better control the game, if that helps any?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Travel noob question: what's the delio with buying electronic shit in the USA and bringing it back? Mum is heading over to Hawaii, and asked if I wanted her to grab anything to bring back. I was thinking a PS4 as it could save me AU$100+ than buying locally, if at the cost of local warranty. I'm not totally sold on the idea, but what kind of fees/baggage/tax issues might she have getting it out?

What DNS service do you use? Your IP adress has probably been changed.

Started working again, who knows why.

Travel noob question: what's the delio with buying electronic shit in the USA and bringing it back? Mum is heading over to Hawaii, and asked if I wanted her to grab anything to bring back. I was thinking a PS4 as it could save me AU$100+ than buying locally, if at the cost of local warranty. I'm not totally sold on the idea, but what kind of fees/baggage/tax issues might she have getting it out?

Under a $1000 and you're golden tax wise. As for the rest, depends on airline. Basically just buy locally, dicksmith have them for $430ish on ebay today.

Tell me which ADSL2+ modem/router to buy AusGAF.

Running ADSL2+, 5MB/s down, 0.80MB/s up. Have the router up one end of the house with the PC wired in while the PS4/360 is in the same room on wifi. WiiU/Chromecast is in the loungeroom at the other end of the house on wifi.

What router will give me solid wifi Plex streaming to the lounge! Current one seems to work okay to the PS3 depending on temperament and weather (can stream 100% fine for 7 hours then keeps dropping buffer for the next bunch of hours, totally random).

Quasar

Well I'm using an old Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn. Which has served me pretty well. Its not a dualband router though, which may be important.

The reception question though. A lot of factors play into that. Distance and wall composition being two of those.

The reception question though. A lot of factors play into that. Distance and wall composition being two of those.

It's a super cheapo build house, I can stream Plex to my phone/tablet while sitting on the lounge with zero issue, 100% of the time. Just seems to have issues on PS3/Chromecast.

I can even stream PS4 to my Vita on the couch fine with minimal artifacts (no more than sitting in the same room I mean).

Really odd.

Shaneus

Tell me which ADSL2+ modem/router to buy AusGAF.

Running ADSL2+, 5MB/s down, 0.80MB/s up. Have the router up one end of the house with the PC wired in while the PS4/360 is in the same room on wifi. WiiU/Chromecast is in the loungeroom at the other end of the house on wifi.

What router will give me solid wifi Plex streaming to the lounge! Current one seems to work okay to the PS3 depending on temperament and weather (can stream 100% fine for 7 hours then keeps dropping buffer for the next bunch of hours, totally random).
You'll probably get tired of hearing this, but I shit you not I have one you could have. Has wifi all speeds except the best bestest one or something. Don't use it anymore, as good as yours.

Edit: this-a one

Yeah, all over it :D. Going to wait for my Oculus Rift to turn up next month though before getting into it, G25 is ready to go.
Still worth a crack to try with a controller or somesuch. Get the wheel working just how you like it for when your Oculus rocks up.
If you've already bought it... congrats! It's shaping up to be the most complete, polished sim-racer around.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Just tweeted by AJ Maddah - Soundwave 2015 will be a 2 day event for each city. Adelaide/Melbourne for one weekend, Sydney/Brisbane the next. Ticket price will be the same as this year ($185), but a one day price will be available as well. ($120)

https://twitter.com/iamnotshouting

Yeah I'm pretty excited about this tbh. I like that I wont be stressing too much about seeing all the bands I want and the longer set times. +1 from me!

You'll probably get tired of hearing this, but I shit you not I have one you could have. Has wifi all speeds except the best bestest one or something. Don't use it anymore, as good as yours.

Edit: this-a one
LOL! Well if it's suitable and you don't want it I'd love to give it a shot! I've still got your other one around here somewhere I think
despite it dying not too long after I bought it off you lol ;)

It has THREE antennas compared to the one on my Netgear DG834G so it must be awesome!

Shaneus

LOL! Well if it's suitable and you don't want it I'd love to give it a shot! I've still got your other one around here somewhere I think
despite it dying not too long after I bought it off you lol ;)

It has THREE antennas compared to the one on my Netgear DG834G so it must be awesome!
Seriously, all yours :) Forgot about the one I gave you that carked it... this one was fine, only replaced it with a newer one because of my cable connection supporting 100Mbit but the WAN port on that Billion was less.

Tax free under $1000. Baggage depends on airlines.

Also, PS4 shipped from DSE ebay is $423 with coupon code CBIGTREAT.

Add to cart, apply coupon on checkout and pay via Paypal.

Max discount is $200, so you can even add an extra controller or a game and checkout everything together for max savings.

ORDER IT ASAP before the code expires.

Darklord

Banned
Tax free under $1000. Baggage depends on airlines.

Also, PS4 shipped from DSE ebay is $423 with coupon code CBIGTREAT.

Add to cart, apply coupon on checkout and pay via Paypal.

Max discount is $200, so you can even add an extra controller or a game and checkout everything together for max savings.

ORDER IT ASAP before the code expires.

Oh dude! I need to buy a laptop for going away. That'll save me heaps.

Edit: How can you tell if a laptop is full windows 8 or that gimped shitty windows 8 for tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom