• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want someone who fits the gb dynamic tho, a bunch of fellas tossing about why playing games, not everything needs to be a chance for the pc police.

Jintor

i don't know why but i had a premonition that post was gonna occur lol

NV > F3 but i appreciate that NV was significantly glitchier

hamchan

It was pretty awful.

That said it is a shame they didnt take this chance to bring some diversity. Its not like there aren't capable folks out there that could fit the position, unless there was particular requirements that ruled folks out. I wonder how it was even handled? any kind of public process or just GB approaching a bunch of folks they knew.

It was "open" but I think everyone knows they hired people they're good friends with. Which is fine, it fits with how the site functions, and the two guys they hired are perfect fits for the positions.

Rizzi

It was "open" but I think everyone knows they hired people they're good friends with. Which is fine, it fits with how the site functions, and the two guys they hired are perfect fits for the positions.

But you've gotta hire minority women though. Why pick the people that would be the best fit?

Thanks, sounds interesting! Just reading those few tweets (I'm sure they're at least a little out of context), it comes off like she's jaded she wasn't hired. Can't wait to read the thread on it ;D
Nah she doesn't like Giant Bomb going by her twitter history.

She's jaded that they hired a white dude. Simple as that. It really wasn't a big enough issue for the internet to blow up at her about.

Which is fine. I'm jaded about a bunch of stuff that most other people would find unreasonable but I don't feel the need to be a prick to people engaging me on the subject.

Applying the balance fallacy to this issue I think is fairly misguided. Samantha faced some horrendous abuse which has apparently caused her to stop writing about video games (according to her latest tweet). The fact the she (not entirely unsympathetically given the dude had a pretty racist avatar) told someone to fuck off does not make her a cunt.

lol what the fuck? There is no balance!

The dude has literally nothing in his Twitter history to paint him as a bad person yet because he has Macklemore's anti-semitic costume as a Twitter avatar you are fine with her telling him to fuck off while making a logical and reasonable tweet? Nice assumption there hidys.

ALSO AT WHAT POINT DID I CALL HER A CUNT!!?!

Her response was what would be described as cuntish behaviour. Saying it does NOT make her a cunt. I have no reason to believe she IS a cunt, just that here response was incredibly rude and I consider it cuntish behaviour.
I used the word on here since the whole cuntgate thing happened and the forum accepted the term for use in this manner.

I really don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth.

Like I said, people were absolute cunts to the 2 women in that podcast. I understand they are upset but I don't understand why that means one of them would attack someone asking a civil and legitimate question.

Jintor

look if you genuinely want to engage with this topic please go to the gb thread because i'm not interested in rehashing this here

if i see one more 'but they're the most qualified!' fucking driveby post i'm going to burst

Fredescu

It's kinda like climate change and a hot day. Some will say the hot day is because of climate change. And others will say it's just a hot day. And they're both kinda right and kinda wrong, but one of them has a better than average chance of being right than the other.

Jintor

I don't have a specific post in mind, just saying the whole topic/discussion is in there and I'd appreciate it if it stayed there if people here want to get into the nuts and bolts of the arguments being thrown around

Deeku

I only read the GB thread, actually posting seems scary cos the people there are kinda crazy lol

Also this seems like a safer place to say that I've never liked any of the women the are, by extension, associated with GB....so I'm glad they weren't hired.

There was this (now closed, thankfully) thread.

Problem as I see it isn't that they necessarily hired a guy or that the white male thing is their schtick, but that they had an opportunity to become more diverse and inclusive, and instead went with the easy option and as a result will have fewer and potentially less interesting viewpoints/opinions.

Jintor

If we could only talk about things that weren't in other threads, this would be pretty much Bargain Octopus blog thread.

i'm not saying you can never do it, but this topic is incredibly tiring and i don't want to be reading the bile here as well

Rezbit

New Vegas is way better than Fallout 3 and video game journalism sucks anyway. How good was the tennis?

#coveredallbases

So I'm really enjoying MK8, but has Nintendo ever heard of an options menu? No sound, control, game options... at all. I want to turn the shitty kart sounds off (like I do with most racing games) but it's not at all possible. Blergh.

Jintor

So I'm really enjoying MK8, but has Nintendo ever heard of an options menu? No sound, control, game options... at all. I want to turn the shitty kart sounds off (like I do with most racing games) but it's not at all possible. Blergh.

i don't know what they were thinking

Fair enough. In my experience "stop talking about this here guys" often doesn't work.

doesn't hurt to ask, and we're all friends here

right

right

hamchan

It's so barebones. It might be my favourite of the series in terms of the racing but they really dropped the ball in nearly every aspect around that.

It's so barebones. It might be my favourite of the series in terms of the racing but they really dropped the ball in nearly every aspect around that.

It's really bizarre, but on reflection a lot of Nintendo games lack even the most basic options. It almost seems intentional rather than an oversight.

Quasar

But you've gotta hire minority women though. Why pick the people that would be the best fit?

Well if all your picking from is your friends I'm not convinced they are necessarily 'best fit', unless its simply 'a clubhouse for my friends to hang out and get paid'.

That's not to say they are or aren't the best choices, but if you aren't even interviewing folks outside your bubble, how would you even know?

Jintor

i wonder if there are technical reasons for not putting gamepad vs tv play in mk8

goose said that item viewing strategy is part of play (i.e. being able to see what the dude on tv has while the gamepad screen is still hidden) but I don't know if that really matters that much in mk8 really

Fredescu

doesn't hurt to ask, and we're all friends here

right

right

Right. And I mean this in the nicest possible, I respect you as a person Jintor, non snarky way, because I can appreciate that I can come across like that some times, but if your friends really wanted to talk about something, would the fact that you were tired of it be enough for you to tell them all to stop? How would you respond to that if you were on the other side of that request?

Obviously there would be things that it would be disrespectful to continue discussing, like spoilers, or hurtful things, but I think "respect" in terms of the moderation of discussion between friends is a complex balance between what you want to do and what the group wants. And sometimes you have to respect what the group wants.

It might be tiring because you've built up all this context and you know both sides of the story and had all the arguments before, and then bam, hot button issue, everywhere you turn is another person who lacks all the context you do. And you look at that and think, fuck, do I have to explain it all again? But I think when something like this comes up, it's an opportunity for cool heads to explain themselves in an environment, like this thread, where someone might be more likely to consider your point of view because you're not just some random internet stranger, you're Jintor from the AusGAF thread. Who knows, you might change someone's mind. Or don't, and don't think you have to fight every injustice where it arises, because if nothing else you really don't have the time.

I kinda like this guys post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119177684&postcount=5986

Jintor

okay i get you but i literally have a headache from discussing it over there and i don't think i can take it here as well

that's all

i don't mean literally metaphorically. i mean as in i might go have a nap because my head hurts from thinking about this bullshit for like a day now. i was hoping it would've died down a bit by the time i woke up but nope, timezones. even going for a jog didn't do a lot for me

yeah it was a pity that guy basically bailed on further discussion after that

Quasar

I didn't realise this thread was called OnlyTalkAboutWhatJintorFuckingWantsToGAF

I thought it was always the general AusGAF chat thread (as long as its not politics). There's moderation of course which technically skews it from truely being that.

jambo

I thought it was always the general AusGAF chat thread (as long as its not politics). There's moderation of course which technically skews it from truely being that.

Not allowed to talk about politics, footy, world cup or anything else that already has a thread elsewhere on GAF.

Oh, except for all the stuff that that rule apparently doesn't apply to...

Jintor

i mean christ, it's just a polite request, if i knew i was going to get shat on for it i'd not have said a fucking thing

not you fred

Dead Man

I dislike the consensus that says we shouldn't talk about things that have their own threads and I dislike the Auspoligaf thread existing due to that, but in this instance I don't think it is unreasonable to ask discussion stay in the relevant thread since it is not an Australia specific issue.

Jintor

i think the kind of tone auspoligaf tends to generate is significantly different to general ausgaf that it's okay to separate it out to its own thread. though i do miss it just being part of ausgaf sometimes

Gazunta

youngones2.jpg

Guys! Guys! Look at us! Squabbling! Bickering, like children. What's happened to us? We never used to be like this!

Dead Man

i think the kind of tone auspoligaf tends to generate is significantly different to general ausgaf that it's okay to separate it out to its own thread. though i do miss it just being part of ausgaf sometimes

I can see the value in that if it was okay to discuss in this thread too.

youngones2.jpg

Guys! Guys! Look at us! Squabbling! Bickering, like children. What's happened to us? We never used to be like this!

LOL :)

RIP Rik.

Jintor

well it's not like deafmutes or eats really steps on political discussion here, sometimes articles (especially tech-related politics) tend to end up here anyway

Quasar

I'm glad. I like to be able to avoid politics whilst on GAF. If those two threads were one I imagine I'd not be here. Local politics just make me too angry/despairing.

I like it when ausgaf talk about random topics, especially when I never read the "original" thread. Hell even political stuff if it's important enough.

Dead Man

well it's not like deafmutes or eats really steps on political discussion here, sometimes articles (especially tech-related politics) tend to end up here anyway

Because I don't give a fuck, yo!

I'm glad. I like to be able to avoid politics whilst on GAF. If those two threads were one I imagine I'd not be here. Local politics just make me too angry/despairing.

But you can say that about any topic, like Jintor is on the GB discussion.

Deeku

I vote for auspol back in here, then those dudes that are just auspol are in here too...get the numbers back up!

Also unban choc so we can all laugh at his meltdowns

Dead Man

I vote for auspol back in here, then those dudes that are just auspol are in here too...get the numbers back up!

Also unban choc so we can all laugh at his meltdowns

You have my keyboard.

Edit: Seriously, I do think AusGAF has suffered since the poli thread split, we just don't have enough members to sustain two threads plus the sports ones.

Gazunta

Honestly I kind of rely on AusGAF now to act as my general GAF filter and give me the heads up on anything 'outside' that I might be interested in. Besides the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the occasional comic thread I'm pretty much JUST on this thread as far as GAF goes these days.

So yeah, keep up the 'oh hey did you guys see this shitstorm over here' overviews because they save me a heap of time, thanks, I reckon :)

I'd love it if there was a webcomics thread I could hang out in too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom