• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
3596328490.png

Our office internet today, which has to run a virtualised PC environment through the otherside of the country >_>
Getting input lag of up to 5 seconds at times :(

Well thats part of all the standard bearers for next gen cross they have to bare. I'll admit I was sad, but it wasn't going to stop me trying it out.

Of course I'll also admit I would have preferred a new PS4 Motorstorm over Driveclub. It seems like Driveclub is in a weird middleground of 'sims' v 'arcade racers' that will have it struggle even without the baggage its carrying.
You don't think a PS4 Motorstorm would be 30fps?

I also don't understand why the standard is 60fps. The standard would be what the market wants/accepts. While the market seems fine with 30fps it will stay that way.

Even past defenders of 60fps like Insomniac ended up pushing to only do 30fps projects.

I understand hating a situation where you feel the framerate is too low though, GTA4 was a huge critical/commercial hit but I felt the framerate was way too low on PS3 for me to enjoy/accept the title. Luckily I could lash out on a fancy enough PC to play the eventual PC port (after plenty of tinkering and patches since it was a mess at launch too).

At the end of the day it's subjective, I agree with that.

Driveclub seems to be aiming for a prettier, more detailed version of PGR tbh. Which was another popular 30fps racing series last generation.

And really I'd probably be fine with them winding back the graphical complexity back on games if it got me 1080p60 all the time.
Some people agree with you, but a lot don't. It would be interesting to see a shift in the market towards those standards (just like movies moving towards 3D/HFR/etc) but at the moment people are happy with great visual effects and a solid framerate.

But I'm not raging about the fact that we're not getting that. In a lot of cases I can just buy a PC version if the console doesn't measure up.
That's the important thing at the end of the day. Consoles are fixed hardware, we can estimate their limitations fairly well. PC games are openended in terms of requirements and can take advantage of a much higher outlay than $450ish total for the locked down hardware for the lifetime of that platform.

Fredescu

Our office internet today, which has to run a virtualised PC environment through the otherside of the country >_>

If it makes you feel any better, a virtualised desktop environment allows them to save an unquantifiable amount of money on infrastructure and ensures that the money is spent outside your town and possibly outside your country. I'm sure you'll agree, poor end user experience is a small price to pay.

If it makes you feel any better, a virtualised desktop environment allows them to save an unquantifiable amount of money on infrastructure and ensures that the money is spent outside your town and possibly outside your country. I'm sure you'll agree, poor end user experience is a small price to pay.

You know what, that actually does cheer me up a little :)

$99 3DS XL at Kmart?! Jesus, I don't even want a 3DS and I'm tempted!
Me too! I think I played my DS for maybe ten hours total...

I also don't understand why the standard is 60fps. The standard would be what the market wants/accepts. While the market seems fine with 30fps it will stay that way.
More people care about prettier graphics in screenshots and Youtube videos than more fps. I don't really care about either, TBH, anything stable over 25fps is enough for me.

Dryk

3596328490.png

Getting input lag of up to 5 seconds at times :(

3596566230.png

University internet's performing again now that it's exam time and all the undergrads aren't clogging the tubes

K-mart is going crazy with weird sales lover the last few days.
When they ran out of Skylanders basic bundles they were selling MarioKart 8 premium bundles instead for whatever the price was, ~$170. Now the 100 dollar 3dses and that ps3 thing. damn son.

Jintor

When they ran out of Skylanders basic bundles they were selling MarioKart 8 premium bundles instead for whatever the price was, ~$170. Now the 100 dollar 3dses and that ps3 thing. damn son.

WTF

are they just liquidating stock or something

That was at managers discretion though.

Had a chat to our local KMart person, they are basically pulling out from Nintendo stuff by the sounds of it. They had no 3DS's in stock and had no plans to get any.

The only people to really know what's going on is the retailer coordinator at Nintendo AU and the matching KMart rep. Considering the amount of launch WiiU units I've seen in VIC country it makes sense they said enough was enough but there could be other explanations.

From what I've heard, they're apparently pulling out of handhelds (both 3/DS and PSP/Vita) nationwide, though they expect to still have regular consoles. Certainly wouldn't surprise me if some stores with relatively limited gaming sections drop out of Nintendo totally at the same time though, especially for those regions where it's not performed that well. Though with how well the Wii U has performed lately for those stores with stock, I wonder if some might reconsider that.

I forgot how shit buying stuff off ebay is.

My XBO only got "posted" on Thursday morning last week. Despite allegedly being in Victoria or something it's still not here. Probably actually located in Tibet or some shit.

Is there a simple, non bullshit way to get Fallout 3 to run on a Win 8 PC that never had GWFL on it?

I'm done with Civ V and Xcom. Civ was good and I'll try the iOS game soon. Xcom was not doing it for me. I really wanna replay both F3 and New Vegas

Gazunta

Nobody is ever really done with Civ. Glad you had fun with it! Shame you didn't like X-Com, though. Man I loved that game to pieces and I am terrible at it.

jambo

Is there a simple, non bullshit way to get Fallout 3 to run on a Win 8 PC that never had GWFL on it?

Yup.

Uninstall it and play New Vegas instead.

But really: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1086/?

Also: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/08/fallout-3-removing-games-for-windows-live-support-drm-on-steam/

A Bethesda spokesperson has contacted Joystiq with clarification regarding the recent update. "We have not removed GFWL from the game," the spokesperson stated. "The only that that has changed is that Steam has removed the need to activate the GFWL codes when purchasing the game."

The game launches through steam, I get the screen that let's you change your settings and then once you go to play the game, it crashes. If you launch the the exe in its folder there's a missing dll thing. Pretty shitty for a game that's still offered for sale.

I have NV but I wanted to replay both and start with F3 first.

oh jeez that GB thing. oh dear.

Start with New Vegas and if you feel like more Fallout after that, delete Fallout 3 from your hard drive and play New Vegas again with different choices.

Have beaten both (F3 on 360 and NV on PC) and want to replay both. If I had my 360 with me, I'd probably just have replayed that but the only options I have here are PS3 (lol- bethesda) and PC (lol-bethesda).

jambo

The game launches through steam, I get the screen that let's you change your settings and then once you go to play the game, it crashes. If you launch the the exe in its folder there's a missing dll thing. Pretty shitty for a game that's still offered for sale.

Have you tried verifying files? The download/install may have missed some.

Looks to be a semi widespread issue: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/540744936866536947/

Don't listen to Fred. Fallout 3 > New Vegas.

Disgusting lies.

Omikron

I find that console gamers often prefer Fallout 3 (better cinematic moments), while PC gamers prefer New Vegas (less flashy, more choices), so this fits in with my theory.

:lol

Actually, just explained to others why I preferred 3 and it was all due to the experience. 3 I had no issues with (technically), enjoyed it from start to finish even if it was pretty damn linear for an RPG.

New Vegas was going great until the game completely bugged out and destroyed all my choices and left me hating it and not finishing it. Damn bugs.

Fredescu

New Vegas was going great until the game completely bugged out and destroyed all my choices and left me hating it and not finishing it. Damn bugs.

Ah, that sucks. I had a relatively bug free New Vegas experience. It got crashy towards the end though.

senahorse

I just played through NV and all the DLC a couple of months ago. Thinking about it then and now, I think I preferred 3 to NV, but I enjoyed the DLC of NV more than the DLC of 3.

edit got that around the wrong way.

Omikron

Ah, that sucks. I had a relatively bug free New Vegas experience. It got crashy towards the end though.

I did start a game not that long back, maybe I will go back again. The problem is dealing with all that jank. I could never really find a mouse setting for example I enjoyed (same goes for all Bethesda engine game tbh). At least not since Morrowind.

senahorse

Great news for anyone that ordered a DK2.

The first batch of official DK2s have left the manufacturing facility and are making their way to our distribution centers now. We expect to ship roughly 10,000 DK2s from the factory in July, with just over half of the units through distribution centers and on their way to doorsteps before the end of the month. The very first units are expected to reach developers the week of July 14th. Tracking numbers for all DK2s will be generated as soon as the shipment has been processed by a distribution center.

Please take a moment to confirm that your shipping address is up to date via the Oculus Sales page (https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/). We'll ship to the address on file, and if the information is incorrect, it may cause delivery delays. In the event that your payment information is no longer valid, you'll receive an email prior to shipment with instructions on how to complete your payment.

We're now over 45,000 DK2 pre-orders, which is incredibly exciting. That said, we're slightly behind in manufacturing and there's currently a high chance that some developers with estimated shipping in July may not have their DK2s shipped until August. We have a team in China working on continued ramp of production at our factory, and we'll work our way through the queue as fast as we can.

Once your Development Kit 2 is ready for shipment, you'll receive an email with a tracking number which can be used to see an estimated delivery date. Please do not contact Oculus support asking for a shipping estimate, as we do not know the status of your package until a tracking number has been generated.

We'll continue to post status updates, so everyone can stay current on what's going on behind the scenes. Thanks again for your continued support, and we hope everyone is excited to be begin working with DK2!
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10044
I will be F5'ing my email till I get that email over the next few weeks (hopefully) :D

I had a bug early on in the PC version of Fallout 3 where the game would freeze while on that boat town. Once I went in I could never get the game to work.

Even happened in the GOTY edition!

New Vegas for me on 360 was fine, had one or two graphical glitches but that's it.

Luck of the draw!

I forgot how shit buying stuff off ebay is.

My XBO only got "posted" on Thursday morning last week. Despite allegedly being in Victoria or something it's still not here. Probably actually located in Tibet or some shit.
Yeah that sucks.

I bought 2 tshirts from some 'once a day' company. Took nearly 3 weeks to send the shirts and then another 2.5 weeks to arrive >_<

Sticking to Woot and Teefury after that insanity.

Won tickets to the aquarium on Gold 104.3 this morning. Woot!

Haven't won anything ever I don't think!
Congrats! Aquarium is awesome :)

oh jeez that GB thing. oh dear.
Really wish people would ignore internet trolls, if you stop looking they will get bored and go away. If you start writing disgusting bullshit at trolls they win and you are a fuckwit. Not shocked that fuckwits are jumping into the 'cause' of protecting Giant Bomb (lol) but still very disgusted we still aren't at a point where people can just take the logical standpoint and disagree with her, discuss the actual social issue in question for possible betterment of society in general and move on.

listen to Fred. Fallout 3 < New Vegas.
Yup!

Dead Man

Morning all! I made a new comic, this time it's about The Blues Brothers game they made in the early '90s for no apparent reason:

YES. Should have been done to him long ago, BB2000 was a travesty in every way.

Buster is still looking for a slapping:

PJrauPv.png

hidys

Twitter stuff, people upset that Giant Bomb hired 2 white male journalists to work for them. Trolls were cunts to them, they were cunts to other people, etc etc.

Applying the balance fallacy to this issue I think is fairly misguided. Samantha faced some horrendous abuse which has apparently caused her to stop writing about video games (according to her latest tweet). The fact the she (not entirely unsympathetically given the dude had a pretty racist avatar) told someone to fuck off does not make her a cunt.

Also New Vegas > 3. I literally don't know how someone could think 3's non-story/worse gameplay was better than New Vegas.

Quasar

Twitter stuff, people upset that Giant Bomb hired 2 white male journalists to work for them. Trolls were cunts to them, they were cunts to other people, etc etc.

It was pretty awful.

That said it is a shame they didnt take this chance to bring some diversity. Its not like there aren't capable folks out there that could fit the position, unless there was particular requirements that ruled folks out. I wonder how it was even handled? any kind of public process or just GB approaching a bunch of folks they knew.

Dead Man

Also New Vegas > 3. I literally don't know how someone could think 3's non-story/worse gameplay was better than New Vegas.

Invisible walls and lack of exploration made Vegas pretty unfin for me. Every single empty hut had a map marker, and invisible walls stopped you going around too much stuff. Mods fixed most of my issues with NV, same as they did for FO3. I am also just sick of desert wastelands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom