• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon had a sale recently, the 32gb N7 2013 was going for $220. Keep a lookout for similar deals in ozbargain, many local shops like DSE, bing lee, kogan, etc have deals from time to time.

Also, the nexus 8 is expected in November, so prices of nexus 7 will go down in a few months.

legend166

I'm going to the footy at MCG on Saturday night, my first live game.

What can I expect? :/

Hopefully for the Swans to crush the Hawks!

Why the ':/' ? I guess you're probably saturated with AFL coverage in Melbourne, and for someone not interested it might become grating. But Australian Football is absolutely one of the best sports in the world to watch live. You'll enjoy it.

Yeah, rooting for the Swans. I have seen drunk people fighting after a game when I used to travel by train to uni few years ago, so a bit wary and :/

I'm taking my cousin who is visiting from overseas so hope we have a good time.

All I really want it for is reading books, watching the occasional movie, and reading comics.
I'd say if you got the Nexus 7 2012 for a good price ($150ish?), then that's going to be fine for what you want to do. From memory I paid $300-350 in 2012, and given the 2013 one has been as low as $220 it's up to you to decide what you think is a good price point.

I still use mine daily and for general web browsing and stuff, it works great. It's probably been surpassed by newer ones and probably better value elsewhere, but if you're happy with what you pay and it suits your needs, who cares.

Stackboy

The newest update to Jetpack Joyride is now out, with the next set of Sweet Vehicle Skins!

Check them out in the Trailer here

We also fixed that pesky giant head bug :) Download it now!

I came back to this game last week, still loving it!

So the long discussed Dendy (the cinema chain) video on demand service is finally going to launch next month. Doesn't really sound like what I imagined though. I imagined streaming stuff that was on in Dendy cinemas, or at least stuff that had been but still had not appeared on disc or on itunes etc. Doesnt sound like it though. Sounds more and more like the same kind of content you'd find on itunes or google play.

It's kind of offering what I'd expect. In the current market you aren't going to get new release cinema streaming to home, in Australia.

Fredescu

I know some of our on site guys have been setting up 365 for a few companies, I don't think the places are smart enough to manage it themselves, So it gives us work!

For a medium sized company, that's about 1% of the work that you would have gotten to do the same thing ten years ago. That's obviously a good thing for the business, I'm just making a comment on the shrinking IT industry.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yeah, rooting for the Swans. I have seen drunk people fighting after a game when I used to travel by train to uni few years ago, so a bit wary and :/

I'm taking my cousin who is visiting from overseas so hope we have a good time.

that's quite unusual o_O

I go to a good numbre of games a year and have never seen any altercations.

I'm sure I've probably asked this before, but does anyone have any recommendations for a decent cheap tablet? It doesn't have to be super powerful or anything, just decent quality.

Love my Asus Memopad HD 7. Make sure to get the HD one! They have been clearing them out for $99 everywhere, I picked up a refurb for $99 online after toying with the one I bought for the wife a while back.

Really solid. Fast and effective without any bloat. Way more customisable than my Galaxy S2.

$99 you say? Interesting.
Where might I find one of these?

This is the deal where I got the refurb from, maybe shoot them an email and see if they have any of the HD7's left and willing to sell at that price ($90 plus $9 postage out to the bush).

Make sure to buy the HD one as it has much better specs!

This was the Harvey Norman clearance where I bought the first one for the wife. Woolworths had previously cleared them too.

It has solid specs but won't do gaming stuff blazing fast like a Razer tablet would. Cruises along with Chrome/Plex/Candy Crush Saga/some kind of farming game by King no problems.

Quasar

It's kind of offering what I'd expect. In the current market you aren't going to get new release cinema streaming to home, in Australia.

I guess. But with a video service run by a cinema chain, I'd expect something different to a rebadged iTunes movie/tv store.

Makes me wonder what their USP is.

Darren870

You know what's been missing from AusGAF lately? Beer talk!

Dan Murphys are selling Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier Dunkel (500ml) for $4 each or 12 for $40

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_904078/weihenstephan-hefe-weissbier-dunkel-500ml

Last time I went to Dan Murphy I picked up about $100 of beer I hadn't had before. Got a good chili one and this pumpkin one. Really nice and worth a try:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produ...EFC7C92B220739C3.ncdlmorasp1305?bmUID=kszbNm5

Gazunta

So what, in AusGAF's opinion, is the best response to someone at the work lunch table playing PETA videos about animals being slaughtered at full volume while you're trying to eat?

JUST A HYPOTHETICAL IS ALL
Also does anyone have a big backyard I can bury a body

So what, in AusGAF's opinion, is the best response to someone at the work lunch table playing PETA videos about animals being slaughtered at full volume while you're trying to eat?

Forcing them to watch EpicMealTime videos, I guess.

jambo

Show them footage of workers at Foxconn jumping off of the roof and then ask why they have a smart phone.

Fredescu

I wouldn't recommend this. It does tenderise the meat as you no doubt intend, but leaves you open to loss from pests. Your best DIY options are to fashion a makeshift meat locker out of a discarded fridge, or to salt heavily. Easier to find a butcher to do it all for you though.

Eat a hamburger. Better still, cook a hamburger in the lunch room.

HolyCheck

xNfr3f6.png

Draft Initial Schedule.

Panels and Indie Game representation still to come!

Shaneus

Crossposting from the jailbreak thread, because it's taken too fucking long and audiophiles (who use iPhones, lols) should rejoice. System-wide EQ for iOS!

It's about time something like this came out!
EqualizerEverywhere
I present to you the next breakthrough in the jailbreaking world: an equalizer that applies to every app. Yes. Every app. Every single one.

Spotify, iFile, Music, Panamp, Fratmusic, Soundcloud, YouTube, Rdio, 8tracks, and Pandora are a small fraction of apps that this is compatible with. This works with every single music app available on the App Store and on Cydia. This tweak does not discriminate. It's literally everywhere, hence the name. Even phone calls are equalized.

Features:
Aesthetically appealing UI
10 bands
Preamp
Presets
Control Center access (swipe left on music controls)
Auxo 2 access
Settings access

Compatible with:
iOS 7.0.x and 7.1.x
Auxo 2 (see last screenshot)
CCLoader
InsomniaScreenX
Auxo 2

Common concerns:
It does not drain battery or eat up CPU or RAM.
I will do everything in my power to get this working on iOS 8 once it is out.
Through limited testing, I have not been able to blow my speakers out with this, even by turning everything all the way up. Though I will still put a disclaimer.

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible if you damage your speakers by using this tweak.
equalizereverywhere1.jpg

So you swipe the media player to get that screen. And it applies across the whole of the iOS. Can't wait to play with it! Finally *controllable* EQ in the stock music app. $3US

Thought this was interesting with all the IT talk recently

Users of MaidSafe’s network contribute unused hard drive space, becoming the network’s nodes. It’s that pooling — or, hey, crowdsourcing — of many users’ spare computing resource that yields a connected storage layer that doesn’t need to centralize around dedicated datacenters. And so doesn’t need any middlemen serving data. The user directly accesses the network, and the network directly accesses the users’ computers. And that’s it.

Meanwhile, data being transmitted over MaidSafe’s network is encrypted locally then broken into fragments by its software and distributed randomly across the nodes so it’s stored in a massively decentralized way, thus — so the claim goes — thwarting hacking and snooping.

kyser73

So I've had a pretty awesome week.

First week in my new job went well, I can do it & there're enough challenges to keep it interesting. This week included a day trip to Sydney (which to my mind is still a city 10,000 miles from where I live) so I got it see Circular Quay. The Opera House still looks like it's from the future. Off to Darwin for the week Monday.

Missus had some good news from her old job re: maternity pay and is possibly doing some PR work on a newly launched (like a few weeks old) job-share matching website.

Best of all tho, our stuff that was in shipping from the UK is being delivered on Friday, so I'll have my PS4 for when I pick TLOU:R on Saturday morning, and have our giant comfy couch to play it on.

YAY!

Congrats on the baby! Glad to hear things have worked out solid on the job front, would be a huge load of your mind.

Slightly off topic: Some online orders arrived yesterday. We got sent ovulation tests, not the pregnancy tests we ordered :(

HolyCheck

Welsh hockey players are pretty cute.

Also south Australia is the best, gonna have a giant well made chicken schnitty tonight.

HolyCheck

What are some good wii games to keep an eye out for? Ignoring the obvious first party stuff.

There's a dragon Ball side scroller which is fun if you liked the dragon Ball anime.
Mad world
Endless ocean 1 and 2
Last story
Zack and wiki
No more heroes 1 and 2
Pandoras tower

Looking to build myself a new computer. Anyone able to give me a bit of advice on this one? Buying everything from umart (since it's close by) to save on postage, but otherwise don't have any particular brand loyalties to tie me down.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-D3H? ASUS Z97-something? Want the ability to expand here in the future if I feel like it...
RAM: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Ares/Sniper DDR3-2133?
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB
HDD: Western Digital WD Green 4TB
GPU: MSI 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX760? Asus R9 280? Will this be powerful enough? No compatibility issues? I get the impression the MSI card is quieter and cooler, and I've had more positive experiences with Nvidia than I have AMD, but I'm really not sure here.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4? Any cases of similar size that are as quiet or better?
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C Bronze
ODD: Samsung DVD-RW
CPU HSF: No idea... something decent and compatible in the $30-$40 range that's quieter than the stock cooler. Suggestions appreciated.
Monitor: ASUS VK278Q (Already owned)
Monitor 2: ASUS VE278Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom