• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

Holy crap dat awkward lift ride with a semi acquaintance that was with a dodgy lookin phillipino call girl D:

At least he was a lot more cheerier than usual lol

Rizzi

I had to buy a shitty pair of headphones with a mic so I can record an oral presentation thing for uni.
The mic works. The uh.. Headphones don't seem to do anything when I plug them in. Which is annoying.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I just heard the best insult ever at the local footy.

"Did he play a grade with us?"
"Nah he played b grade in our a grade time slot"

Dead Man

Looking to build myself a new computer. Anyone able to give me a bit of advice on this one? Buying everything from umart (since it's close by) to save on postage, but otherwise don't have any particular brand loyalties to tie me down.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-D3H? ASUS Z97-something? Want the ability to expand here in the future if I feel like it...
RAM: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Ares/Sniper DDR3-2133?
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB
HDD: Western Digital WD Green 4TB
GPU: MSI 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX760? Asus R9 280? Will this be powerful enough? No compatibility issues? I get the impression the MSI card is quieter and cooler, and I've had more positive experiences with Nvidia than I have AMD, but I'm really not sure here.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4? Any cases of similar size that are as quiet or better?
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C Bronze
ODD: Samsung DVD-RW
CPU HSF: No idea... something decent and compatible in the $30-$40 range that's quieter than the stock cooler. Suggestions appreciated.
Monitor: ASUS VK278Q (Already owned)
Monitor 2: ASUS VE278Q

Don't know about the rest really, but my Fractal case is fucking awesome.

What are some good wii games to keep an eye out for? Ignoring the obvious first party stuff.

Obvious first party stuff is still on there because this is a copy paste job but ignore them at your leisure:

Kickin' Rad Tier
Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories
A Boy and His Blob
Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
The House of the Dead: Overkill
Kirby's Adventure Wii
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Wii
NBA Jam
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies
Sonic Colors
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Wario Land: Shake It!
Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort
Xenoblade Chronicles

Pretty Cool Tier
Boom Street
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Excite Truck/Excite Bots
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Grand Slam Tennis
Ivy the Kiwi?
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Little King's Story
Mario Strikers Charged Football
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces

Flawed But Interesting Tier
Castlevania Judgement
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
MadWorld
Metroid Other M
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Pandora's Tower
Red Steel 2
Super Paper Mario

Compilation Tier
The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
Kirby's Dream Collection
Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack
Metal Slug Anthology
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Neat Licensed Tier
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo
GoldenEye 007
Kamen Rider: Super Climax Heroes

Pinball Tier
Gottlieb Pinball Classics
Williams Pinball Classics

Quality Remake Tier
Klonoa
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Digital Tier
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
Excitebike World Challenge

Waiting on the Fan Translation Tier
Captain Rainbow

I haven't played A Shadow's Tale, Batallion Wars 2 or The Last Story but they're meant to be worth checking out too.

Rizzi

Ah, cool. I think I saw a copy of Battalion Wars yesterday as I was rummaging through one of the many pawn stores I go looking for cool stuff in.

Looking to build myself a new computer. Anyone able to give me a bit of advice on this one? Buying everything from umart (since it's close by) to save on postage, but otherwise don't have any particular brand loyalties to tie me down.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-D3H? ASUS Z97-something? Want the ability to expand here in the future if I feel like it...
RAM: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Ares/Sniper DDR3-2133?
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB
HDD: Western Digital WD Green 4TB
GPU: MSI 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX760? Asus R9 280? Will this be powerful enough? No compatibility issues? I get the impression the MSI card is quieter and cooler, and I've had more positive experiences with Nvidia than I have AMD, but I'm really not sure here.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4? Any cases of similar size that are as quiet or better?
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520C Bronze
ODD: Samsung DVD-RW
CPU HSF: No idea... something decent and compatible in the $30-$40 range that's quieter than the stock cooler. Suggestions appreciated.
Monitor: ASUS VK278Q (Already owned)
Monitor 2: ASUS VE278Q

2133 RAM is a waste, just go for 1600. Any brand is fine. Do you really need 4TB? 3TB were better value last time I looked although that may have changed since then. 760 and 280 are not super impressive cards, but they're ok. If you can afford a higher end one by saving on the things I just mentioned, do so. Fractal cases are very good. Power supply might be insufficient if you want to upgrade later on. Probably 650W is safer.

Rizzi

What are some good places to get ebooks for android? The google play store is a little more expensive than I would like.

2133 RAM is a waste, just go for 1600. Any brand is fine. Do you really need 4TB? 3TB were better value last time I looked although that may have changed since then. 760 and 280 are not super impressive cards, but they're ok. If you can afford a higher end one by saving on the things I just mentioned, do so. Fractal cases are very good. Power supply might be insufficient if you want to upgrade later on. Probably 650W is safer.

Based on recommendations I've received here and elsewhere since posting that list, I've altered the parts list to this.
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Archaic/saved/zLQfrH

The RAM is already altered on the new list. Though the 2133 was only about $10 more expensive, I've been told the motherboards at the price range I'm looking at don't use it effectively.
The 4TB is on sale currently, so it's better value for at least the next few days until that sale ends.
I switched the PSU over to a semi-modular CoolerMaster GM550W. The part list is only sitting at 390W as it stands, so I'm thinking that should be plenty of leg room for now.
Are there any cards you'd recommend? My graphical requirements really aren't much (I normally don't play anything more demanding than CK2, EU4 or Civ V), so my main concerns were for something that runs quiet and cool, and which wouldn't have a problem with running two 27 inch monitors.

Kritz

Banned
Saw Ernest and Celestine. That movie's really charming, great art style, really nice use of music. Highly recommend it if you're in the mood for an animated film, especially if you have a young child.

Based on recommendations I've received here and elsewhere since posting that list, I've altered the parts list to this.
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Archaic/saved/zLQfrH

The RAM is already altered on the new list. Though the 2133 was only about $10 more expensive, I've been told the motherboards at the price range I'm looking at don't use it effectively.
The 4TB is on sale currently, so it's better value for at least the next few days until that sale ends.
I switched the PSU over to a semi-modular CoolerMaster GM550W. The part list is only sitting at 390W as it stands, so I'm thinking that should be plenty of leg room for now.
Are there any cards you'd recommend? My graphical requirements really aren't much (I normally don't play anything more demanding than CK2, EU4 or Civ V), so my main concerns were for something that runs quiet and cool, and which wouldn't have a problem with running two 27 inch monitors.

If those are the only games you're playing then sure, don't bother getting something beefier. You might even be able to go cheaper but I always like to have some room for adventuring into other games!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Soft. We used to drive up to Adelaide for the day when I was growing up. 4 hours there, 4 back, too easy.

Nah, it was always a shit drive

I loathed nothing more thaan the friday night drive to the mount then the suynday morning drive back to adelaide.

jambo

New SSD and Windows 8.1

yH1CNMQ.jpg

lVRdQ7Z.jpg

Yay! Finally got back after a two month ban. People were posting saying they were getting CD keys of watch dogs a few days early from certain online retailers, I asked who was doing it instant vs. who was waiting till release to give your CD key... and I got banned for piracy :( Ironically just before the ban a really helpful guy PMed me the place that was doing it and I bought a 100% legit copy of it only to get banned.

The worst part wasn't shitty overmodding or no one answering my emails or tweets to unban me at all, the worst part wasn't that I didn't even pirate it and I paid full price for it and still got banned....

the worst part was watch dogs is shit :(

elektrixx

Banned
I woke up at 6:55 am. Perfect timing for that Destiny thing. Two minutes later the power goes out and stays that way until about 3:00. I'm so fuckin' pissed. This stupid country.

Yay! Finally got back after a two month ban. People were posting saying they were getting CD keys of watch dogs a few days early from certain online retailers, I asked who was doing it instant vs. who was waiting till release to give your CD key... and I got banned for piracy :( Ironically just before the ban a really helpful guy PMed me the place that was doing it and I bought a 100% legit copy of it only to get banned.

The worst part wasn't shitty overmodding or no one answering my emails or tweets to unban me at all, the worst part wasn't that I didn't even pirate it and I paid full price for it and still got banned....

the worst part was watch dogs is shit :(
Two months? Well done. I've been banned heaps but they've all been a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom