• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

I read about that, such bullshit. Telstra trying to spin it as reacting to demand in the region, no, you're just trying to get cheap labour...

IT is in a land grab state at the moment. "Everyone" is moving to hosted IT (cloud), so the big guys need to make their offerings as cheap as possible to compete with global companies who already have Indian labour. Just as an example, it seems obvious that no small business is ever going to bother installing a local Exchange server again when you could get office 365 or corporate gmail. IT will be as globally centralised as manufacturing. I don't know what to think about that.

senahorse

IT is in a land grab state at the moment. "Everyone" is moving to hosted IT (cloud), so the big guys need to make their offerings as cheap as possible to compete with global companies who already have Indian labour. Just as an example, it seems obvious that no small business is ever going to bother installing a local Exchange server again when you could get office 365 or corporate gmail. IT will be as globally centralised as manufacturing. I don't know what to think about that.

Yep, it's all cloud cloud cloud now. I am jumping in, as demand for these skills keep growing, I just did an AWS course this week and am going to do a couple of the AWS certs while slowly slogging towards my CCIE. Can't bank on just Amazon but they are the current biggest player so I figure I will take my chances with them for the moment. For us it's nearly breaking even for hosting our own services/servers in the cloud vs running our own datacentres, mind you I am talking thousands of VM's already running on hardware we own but sooner or later management is going to see those $$$ savings.

Dead Man

Was just about to pimp the RadGAF meet up :)

Also, this is one of the finest things I have ever seen:

8d84d98833cd6751051c5792ba8eeab4.jpg

Bay-ta
See-ga

The first because the first time I ever heard it spoken out loud was a friend who was into coding on high school. Besides, it's closer to how it would be pronounced in Greek. The second is because that's just how the word reads.

jambo

I remember reading in various threads a few years ago that there was something of an anti-AusGAF group of Aussies on here who thought we were all idiots and thus never came in to the threads.

Sure, I love arguing with people who tell me no one in Australia says Bee-ta or See-ga.

Their minds would be blown by the way some older people pronounce Camry.

I wouldn't say that no one says it.

Just that those people are wrong =P

Quasar

Sure, I love arguing with people who tell me no one in Australia says Bee-ta or See-ga.

Their minds would be blown by the way some older people pronounce Camry.

:)

I was brought up saying Beeta and Seega. I still say Seega. I've gradually come around to bay-ta.

Quasar

So the long discussed Dendy (the cinema chain) video on demand service is finally going to launch next month. Doesn't really sound like what I imagined though. I imagined streaming stuff that was on in Dendy cinemas, or at least stuff that had been but still had not appeared on disc or on itunes etc. Doesnt sound like it though. Sounds more and more like the same kind of content you'd find on itunes or google play.

Dead Man

Maybe this is old, maybe it's new, I don't know. What I do know is that it's too cool for me not to share.

Edit: Oh hey, two long images in a row.

Hah, that's gold. :)

We're gonna party like it's 2006

http://i.imgur.com/yOUEPzK.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Pfft. Copycat.

[quote="Gazunta, post: 122418436"]The important thing is that you don't spell it SEGA because IT'S NOT A FUCKING ACRONYM[/QUOTE]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega[/url]
[QUOTE]The Sega Corporation (株式会社セガ Kabushiki gaisha Sega?), pronounced /ˈseɪɡə/ (US/Canada/UK/New Zealand/Australia) and usually styled as SEGA,[/QUOTE]

Decades of conditioning via marketing says otherwise. If it's all in caps every time you see it, then that is what you will assume is the intention.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I say see-gah and most all of my friends growing up did too. It wasn't really until highschool we found out that the say Gah pronunciation was a thing.

Bay-ta
See-ga
Perfection.

The important thing is that you don't spell it SEGA because IT'S NOT A FUCKING ACRONYM

Nope get stuffed Gaz. If Sega want to be stylised as SEGA then I have no issues with people writing it like that! Fuck mandating it though. Just like the whole PLAYSTATION 3 thing, or the Xbox One The All In One Games And Entertainment System, I don't care which way people will say it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

I know some of our on site guys have been setting up 365 for a few companies, I don't think the places are smart enough to manage it themselves, So it gives us work!

Gotta get everyone under an SLA D:

Beta (Bay-ta)
Bega (Bee-ga)
Sega (Seh-ga)*

Consistent!

Now, let's all agree on pronunciation of 'castle'...

* Was always see-ga to everyone I knew while growing up.

Person wants me to find the best laptop for them to buy

... from JB HiFi. Not sure what their price range is yet, but taking a look at their site the best "value" seems to be coming from some of the HP ones. I recall people being pretty down on HP laptops back in the day, are they still pieces of shit?

Other option is probably a Dell one that is great except for a 768p screen.

Found this article an interesting counterpoint to the Japanese baseball story that Deek posted the other day.

Thanks for posting cods! Good read.

So the long discussed Dendy (the cinema chain) video on demand service is finally going to launch next month. Doesn't really sound like what I imagined though. I imagined streaming stuff that was on in Dendy cinemas, or at least stuff that had been but still had not appeared on disc or on itunes etc. Doesnt sound like it though. Sounds more and more like the same kind of content you'd find on itunes or google play.

First I'd heard of it!
As you say there likely will be a lot of crossover but this quote from a mumbrella article gives me a little hope it could have a few interesting titles

“We have deals in place with most of the major distributors as well as the indies,” Stapleton said on the service’s content, however declined to name exactly which distributors have been secured.

Y'all been playing Destiny? Feels like I've seen most of the content (unless they drop something special over the weekend) and I'm really geared up for the launch.

Bungie sure now how to put a carrot on a stick.

Yep, the beta withdrawal is going to be a bitch.

Got to level 4/5 but it hasn't grabbed me much. Didn't expect it to, really.

You're doing it wrong.

I played a couple of hours and had a great time with it, but I just can't see myself playing long term on a console.

Will wait for PC release in Q1 next year, or failing that, the sequel on PC in 2016.

Sequel? There isn't going to be sequel, not in the next 5 years at least.

You really need to play Destiny with a group.

Absolutely, games with fellow gaffers are a blast.

I've found when my friends haven't been available it's grouped me with randoms and worked really well.

Pve with random players is good, but not pvp.

Quasar

Thanks for posting cods! Good read.

First I'd heard of it!
As you say there likely will be a lot of crossover but this quote from a mumbrella article gives me a little hope it could have a few interesting titles

“We have deals in place with most of the major distributors as well as the indies,” Stapleton said on the service’s content, however declined to name exactly which distributors have been secured.

Ausdroid has a brief bit.

The list includes ABC Commercial, Beyond Home Entertainment, Entertainment One Australia, Icon, Madman Entertainment, Pinnacle Films, Roadshow, Transmission, and Umbrella Entertainment. From those studios, the titles we know will make their way to Dendy’s new service include high profile hits like The Wolf of Wall Street and The Lego Movie along with Red Dog, Tracks, The Railway Man, Transcendence and Edge of Tomorrow. There are also some deals yet-to-be-made with independent studios and distributors.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that all of those titles will be available at launch – Edge of Tomorrow is still in cinemas – but it’s an encouraging sign of the depth of catalog that Dendy is hoping to offer, and a sign of good things to come for the service they say is for lovers of quality film.

What we’re still missing though is an idea of Dendy Direct’s intended subscription rate (or rates), and any limitations like number of movies, number of devices or extra prices for “premium content” as we’ve seen levied by some other streaming services. All of this should become clearer as we approach the scheduled launch of the service on August 6.

Dendy has also given some more detail on the launch order for their apps. First to launch will be desktop, tablet and mobile (Android and iOS), while Samsung Smart TVs will get an app of their own in September. If you’re looking for Chromecast support though, you’ll have to wait a little longer – it’s currently slated for a Q4 2014 release.

Whilst as I noted in my first post this sounds disappointing to me. Another avenue for the same content that is already available is a bit disappointing given the service is coming from a cinema company. Of course even if they did offer some movies whilst still in cinemas, the prices would be higher than I'd be willing to pay given similar talk in the US (substantially higher than actual movie ticket prices). Would I pay say $40 to stream current cinema movies at home? Thats pretty doubtful. Of course that would be a pretty good deal for families.

Also...Windows Phone/Windows RT shunned again. I also wonder when/if we'll see PS4/XBone apps. Apps for local services are spotty at best on consoles.

Person wants me to find the best laptop for them to buy

... from JB HiFi. Not sure what their price range is yet, but taking a look at their site the best "value" seems to be coming from some of the HP ones. I recall people being pretty down on HP laptops back in the day, are they still pieces of shit?

Other option is probably a Dell one that is great except for a 768p screen.

Consumer grade HP are indeed shit. I'm guessing they want JB because of the 20% off sale for Laptops there right now?

Beta (Bay-ta)
Bega (Bee-ga)
Sega (Seh-ga)*

Consistent!

Now, let's all agree on pronunciation of 'castle'...

* Was always see-ga to everyone I knew while growing up.

I say see-gah and most all of my friends growing up did too. It wasn't really until highschool we found out that the say Gah pronunciation was a thing.

I say See-ga >_>

But it evens out with bayta

Hah, that's gold. :)

Pfft. Copycat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega

Decades of conditioning via marketing says otherwise. If it's all in caps every time you see it, then that is what you will assume is the intention.

Never realised there ever was a SEGA computer.
Neither did they. It had rubber chiclet buttons and I wanted one just to play Yamato. I used to play the demo machine in a computer store in Cracknell Rd at Annerley.

The important thing is that you don't spell it SEGA because IT'S NOT A FUCKING ACRONYM
Dude, do you even post?

Take it up with John Sands.

Boom!

:)

I was brought up saying Beeta and Seega. I still say Seega. I've gradually come around to bay-ta.

Bay-ta
See-ga

The first because the first time I ever heard it spoken out loud was a friend who was into coding on high school. Besides, it's closer to how it would be pronounced in Greek. The second is because that's just how the word reads.

sorry to lay the smackdown but in greek, it's pronounced 'vitta' (not as in playstation vita, but more gary whitta). The first person to dispute this loses my respect for all time.

Cool stories. I love how its a generational thing. Us incontinent older fucks versus the younger bedwetting cunts who heard those words spoken by americans on podcasts on online videos
next you kids will be pronouncing aluminium the weird american way. or worse Lay-go, driving your muuuzzzda and Neeeeesans

I have worked in development for a long time and I could see how, over time, more and more people were saying Bayta over Beeta, since the higher-ups would be speaking to US-based publishers on phone. But they'd always start as Beeta.

Also for those who think no one said beeta look at Frontline, in the opening credits, you can hear a guy saying Betacam as Beetacam.

Time to Darnce.

Rizzi

I'm sure I've probably asked this before, but does anyone have any recommendations for a decent cheap tablet? It doesn't have to be super powerful or anything, just decent quality.

Neither did they. It had rubber chiclet buttons and I wanted one just to play Yamato. I used to play the demo machine in a computer store in Cracknell Rd at Annerley.

Dude, do you even post?

Boom!

sorry to lay the smackdown but in greek, it's pronounced 'vitta' (not as in playstation vita, but more gary whitta). The first person to dispute this loses my respect for all time.

Cool stories. I love how its a generational thing. Us incontinent older fucks versus the younger bedwetting cunts who heard those words spoken by americans on podcasts on online videos
next you kids will be pronouncing aluminium the weird american way. or worse Lay-go, driving your muuuzzzda and Neeeeesans

I have worked in development for a long time and I could see how, over time, more and more people were saying Bayta over Beeta, since the higher-ups would be speaking to US-based publishers on phone. But they'd always start as Beeta.

Also for those who think no one said beeta look at Frontline, in the opening credits, you can hear a guy saying Betacam as Beetacam.

Time to Darnce.
Modern Greek doesn't count :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom