• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
A revolver? Is it suddenly 1950 again?
But yeah, that's weird.
Don't police still use revolvers because of their reliability, as in less likely to jam? I'm sure a couple of years back semi automatics were being considered in Victoria but were scrapped...

The popo in Paris were walking round the train station with submachine guns, that wrinkled my brain for a sec
Haven't lived until you've driven through roadblocks in the middle of nowhere in Egypt. :\

Tommy DJ

In a lot of places, its mainly a heritage thing. In the US, some people will still carry sixshooters if their department will let them because that's what they've used their whole life.

Practically, revolvers are beneficial in that they're dead easy to use, dead easy to maintain, don't particularly care about being unused while loaded, and look less aggressive to the public. Semi-automatics require care and attention and most police officers lack the skill to properly use them, especially in a country where guns are barely used. Its basically a money thing at the end of the day.

Don't police still use revolvers because of their reliability, as in less likely to jam? I'm sure a couple of years back semi automatics were being considered in Victoria but were scrapped...

I'm unclear how much that really factors into anything. Tasmanian police use Glocks for instance and my understanding was that a lot of other police forces do to, all around the world. Realistically a jam takes a second to clear if it happens and the police rarely need to discharge their firearms anyway. On the other hand, they almost never need the extra magazine capacity that a semiauto offers either.

I'm unclear how much that really factors into anything. Tasmanian police use Glocks for instance and my understanding was that a lot of other police forces do to, all around the world. Realistically a jam takes a second to clear if it happens and the police rarely need to discharge their firearms anyway. On the other hand, they almost never need the extra magazine capacity that a semiauto offers either.
The Tasmanian Police might need the greater ammo capacity if they've been trained to go for headshots.

Danoss

The NSW police use the Glock 22 , which is a Glock 17 modified to use .40 S&W ammunition. This calibre ammunition is restricted and only the police and other government agencies have access to it. The highest calibre ammunition a civilian can access is .38 Special, which the police previously used.

I believe VIC and some other states use Smith & Wesson M&P .40 pistols, which are also semi-automatic and it's the same ammo. I did read that this upgrade was delayed multiple times, but was eventually passed a few years ago.

Previously, S&W Model 10 revolvers were used and utilised .38 Special ammo. Some states used Rugers. These seemed to have been upgraded because of the increased stopping power and ammunition. Some shootouts resulting in dead police officers are what seems to have led to the adoption of these. In NSW, it was an OH&S issue triggered by a situation where a police officer might've survived if they had a semi-automatic and therefore more rounds. This was the result 7 years after the fact, though pistol upgrades and other steps were taken to better ensure future officer safety.

Sucks, I paid $25 just couple of months ago for Injustice GOTY on PS4 from US PSN.

#AbbottsAmericaAustralia

I8vteLt.png

Wait, there is way more superhero stuff on sale.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) – $4.20 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)
Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3) – $8.40 (PS+ price), $27.99 (Sale price)
Batman: Arkham Origins – Blackgate (PS Vita) – $4.20 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)
DC Universe Online Ultimate Edition (PS4) – $11.99 (PS+ price), $19.99 (Sale price)
DC Universe Online Ultimate Edition (PS3) – $11.99 (PS+ price), $19.99 (Sale price)
inFamous (PS3) – $9.79 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)
inFamous 2 (PS3) – $9.79 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)
inFamous: Festival of Blood (PS3) – $2.44 (PS+ price), $3.49 (Sale price)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS4) – $8.40 (PS+ price), $27.99 (Sale price)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS3) – $8.40 (PS+ price), $27.99 (Sale price)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS Vita) – $4.20 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (PS3) -$4.20 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS4) – $10.50 (PS+ price), $34.99 (Sale price)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS3) -$8.40 (PS+ price), $27.99 (Sale price)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS Vita) -$6.30 (PS+ price), $20.99 (Sale price)
Marvel vs Capcom Origins (PS3) – $3.75 (PS+ price), $7.49 (Sale price)
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (PS3) – $4.20 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PS4) – $35.99 (PS+ price), $39.99 (Sale price)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PS3) -$29.69 (PS+ price), $32.99 (Sale price)
TMNT: Out of the Shadows (PS3) – $8.99 (PS+ price), $9.99 (Sale price)
Young Justice: Legacy (PS3) – $9.79 (PS+ price), $13.99 (Sale price)

Rizzi

I just got a letter in my mailbox from iprimus telling me that the NBN is about to go live at my address. One does wonder about the accuracy of this statement.

Rizzi

The last time I went to see what Big W had during a clearance sale all they had were like, two shitty shovelware wii games and a bunch of crappy PS2 games missing their cases.

Yrael

The last time I went to see what Big W had during a clearance sale all they had were like, two shitty shovelware wii games and a bunch of crappy PS2 games missing their cases.

Yeah, this. Apparently Kirby's Epic Yarn had been going for $10, but I just missed the last copy. D:

Just saw the announcement for Majestic Nights, and thought you guys might be interested.

Taken from the official page: Majestic Nights is an episodic role-playing-thriller set in an alternate 1980s where all conspiracy theories, past and present are True... With fast, light mechanics, the game has been developed to engross players in a shadowy world of conspiracy with an over-the-top 1980s aesthetic.

http://www.majesticnights.com/

Developed by Epiphany Games, some NSW mob. UFO's? Conspiracies? The 80's? Sign me the fuck up!

Rizzi

Finally got off my arse earlier this week and got a new prescription for my glasses. Now to wait for my glasses to be made.

Stackboy

Y'all been playing Destiny? Feels like I've seen most of the content (unless they drop something special over the weekend) and I'm really geared up for the launch.

Bungie sure now how to put a carrot on a stick.

jambo

I played a couple of hours and had a great time with it, but I just can't see myself playing long term on a console.

Will wait for PC release in Q1 next year, or failing that, the sequel on PC in 2016.

Be aware: There's a bug that means it won't save your game if it's your first time playing. So you'll likely have to play through everything you did in your first session... but it'll save your game from then on.

That's fine. Been affected last night and just replayed it all, which was fine because its sogood.gif

Y'all been playing Destiny? Feels like I've seen most of the content (unless they drop something special over the weekend) and I'm really geared up for the launch.

Bungie sure now how to put a carrot on a stick.
Yup been on every night aside from Tuesday!
Because it was down for maintenance lol

You really need to play Destiny with a group.

Half and half. It's really enjoyable exploring by yourself but then when you want to nail the fuck out of some enemies it's the most enjoyable to jump into a fireteam (like last night!) and push through sectors of bad guys.

The solo exploring stuff is what will draw me in, a sense of adventure to experience a new story and lore with a logical beginning, middle and end.

The group stuff is what will keep me playing every night for weeks, that ultimately repetitive but dynamic combat encounters with a constant stream of variety in terms of how each moment to moment situation is handled. I must have done that strike 15 times by now, yet had a blast doing it yet again last night.

legend166

So IBM outsourced my whole department to Telstra (i.e. about 280 of us were moved from IBM to Telstra).

Telstra is now outsourcing about 60% of us to....India. Morons.

senahorse

So IBM outsourced my whole department to Telstra (i.e. about 280 of us were moved from IBM to Telstra).

Telstra is now outsourcing about 60% of us to....India. Morons.

I read about that, such bullshit. Telstra trying to spin it as reacting to demand in the region, no, you're just trying to get cheap labour...

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I head back home on Friday evening. Went to the Berlin video game museum last night for a Google shindig. That's the third such museum I've been in now, in three different countries. Yay video games. Also, I absolutely suck at Donkey Kong :)

I do hope you're all keeping Australia sane in my absence.

Ooh that looks funky. Don't think I'll be going to Berlin though :(

Also

2nd non annual Radgaf meetup official list thingy

Where:
The elephant. Off Rundle St, Adelaide.

When:
September 20th 2014

Who:

Going-
Dead Man
Lucian Cat
Mr Tone
Jambo
Frawdder

Maybe-
Dryk
Vormund

Join us peeps.

Anyone else interested? Or is that the entire Adelaide community lol

Gazunta

Mate if I thought I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Sounds like OlliOlli is my kind of game then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom