• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyser73

All good, SuperBananaNova and SuttonDagger jumped in and helped out before my internet dropped out :(

>_<

Been a rough weekend for disconnections.

Ding ding!

Forza Horizon 2 XB1
Drive Club PS4
Assassin's Creed Unity PS4/XB1
Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare XB1/PS4
The Evil Within PS4/XB1
NBA 2K15 PS4/XB1
Middle Earth: Shadow Of Modor PS4/XB1
Alien Isolation Nostromo Edition XB1/PS4

All $60 at Dick Smith.

GODAMMIT! I *always* click on those links and end up spending money I don't have.

I feel exactly like the wife in the joke about spending $1000 but it's OK because everything I bought half-price.

Does anyone have a good HOWTO for setting up a VPN (for the purposes of netflix, avoiding The Man Snooping On My Webs, etc.)?

Unotelly is pretty cheap. Netflix setup is a doddle.

Quasar

Does anyone have a good HOWTO for setting up a VPN (for the purposes of netflix, avoiding The Man Snooping On My Webs, etc.)?

I think its pretty simple. Most VPN services provide you with require logons and instructions. what do you want to connect to a VPN with (PC, Mac, phone, tablet, streaming device)? With Windows (8 at least) has a simple 'Add a VPN' wizard in the network settings.

That raises a question. Do any consoles support vpns?

Or do you mean setting up your own VPN server? Like on a amazon virtual machine?

The better way would be to connect your router to a VPN (assuming it has the function to do so), then all of your connections would be automatically and by default connected the VPN.

Of course, it depends on the purpose of the VPN connection.

Say, does anyone have experience with the Ultraviolet format for movies? Specifically, is there a way to transfer a downloaded movie from a PC to an iPad for offline (i.e. Non-streaming) viewing?

r1chard

I think its pretty simple. Most VPN services provide you with require logons and instructions. what do you want to connect to a VPN with (PC, Mac, phone, tablet, streaming device)? With Windows (8 at least) has a simple 'Add a VPN' wizard in the network settings.

Or do you mean setting up your own VPN server? Like on a amazon virtual machine?
I'd want it to work from my Mac, PC (Windows) and my tablet (Android) and ideally without needing to configure each individually. Though I guess it looks like Unotelly (thanks kyser73) looks pretty trivial to set up so maybe it'll do :)

Quasar

I'd want it to work from my Mac, PC (Windows) and my tablet (Android) and ideally without needing to configure each individually. Though I guess it looks like Unotelly (thanks kyser73) looks pretty trivial to set up so maybe it'll do :)

So as mentioned you'd be wanting to do it in a router. What router do you have?

Quasar

It always has. It doesn't do games, but most other hardware is fine. Some specific items may not allow international shipping. $440 or something for the Gigabyte G1 970, which is like an $80 discount over local price.

So tempting. Though I'm trying to wait till the Oculus consumer version gets released so I'll have the best thing I can afford to drive an Oculus.

Arksy

So tempting. Though I'm trying to wait till the Oculus consumer version gets released so I'll have the best thing I can afford to drive an Oculus.

I've played around with one extensively. They're good...but waiting for the consumer edition would be ideal. The dev kit still has some clinks...and the graphics aren't as good as you might imagine.

The worst part about them is the sim sickness (motion sickness) it induces, it's pretty bad on the rollercoaster demo...not sure what a car would be like.

Arksy

Oh its an old 2GB 7870.

Whilst I'm fine with that for what I play, seeing games starting to trickle out that require a 4GB card makes it more problematic. Though having a PS4 as well means I at least won't be excluded from games whilst I wait.

I'd personally recommend picking up an ex-mining 280x/290 from OCAU or something. They're incredibly cheap at the moment.

Ain't that the fucking truth McCarthy-bot

Omg my GTX 970 arrived today. Amazon estimated it wouldn't come until the 6th.

[heavy breathing]

I'll hold it for you until the 6th if you want >.>

Minister for Finance still wants a report on why I need a 970. My presentation on how pre-purchasing all the PS4 games I want need for the rest of the year through that Dick Smith deal would slash expenses in the 'super important PS4 games' fund wasn't super effective at all, the savings weren't shifted into the 'new life improving GPU' account :(

senahorse

Would like a couple of 970's but I am sure I can manage slumming it on a pair of 780's till the next iteration just in time for OR consumer release.

senahorse

Amen to that, I can't finish all the games I have on PC (Wasteland 2 is taking all my time currently) let alone multiple platforms. Who knows when I will get around to getting a next-gen current get console
Probably when Uncharted comes out

Rizzi

I keep going back and forth on whether I want it on PC or PS4. PC is half the cost, and I get it a week sooner, but I've only recently got my surround sound set up just right in the living room...
I'm buying it from the US PSN. That's always an option.

Darren870

Yo, melb gaf,
Where's somewhere close to a train station that I can use to get to Pax? Going to book a hotel but everywhere physically close is either booked or way too expensive.

I don't mind 30-60 minute train rides.

Just get something on AirBNB and you are all set.

Edit: I have a $25 discount voucher if you want. Just PM me.

Yeah where is everyone staying. Want to find somewhere central so the wife can go shopping easily and not get mugged on the train by a terrorist.
Totally forgot it's the weekend before Melbourne Cup too so everything will be booked up I bet >_<

Rep. Just commit to a singular platform. Imagine the components / games / things you could get then.

Life is simpler.

I need all dem exclusive game tho.

Otherwise I turn into a raging PC Master Race fanboy and go around shitting on console exclusives because I don't have access to it.

I'm so glad I wasn't on GAF during the PS2/Xbox days. I was a total fucking cunt lol :(

I even called Uncharted a sexist ripoff of the "glourious" Tomb Raider series out of spite for ages until I got a PS3 :/

Any way it's more a case of waiting until it's needed rather than wanted heh. Same happened with the PS3/PS4/Vita/WiiU. Waited until it was cheap and the games were plentiful.
Just need a good showcase game for the wife that requires more grunt. The joy of PC gaming is that there is always someone out there working on the perfect game for everyone, I bet there is an uber impressive city building/theme park builder game releasing at the end of the year somewhere :)

Amen to that, I can't finish all the games I have on PC (Wasteland 2 is taking all my time currently) let alone multiple platforms. Who knows when I will get around to getting a next-gen current get console
Probably when Uncharted comes out

A big part of my motivation to get a Wii U and PS4 was for local multiplayer with my girlfriend. This is something where Nintendo are streets ahead and PC is well behind. She has a shitty laptop which was good enough to play through Portal 2 co-op, but same screen comfy couch action works better for a lot of games.

We started playing Diablo 3 PS4 yesterday, and she loves it. Good way to spend some quality time.

markot

Banned
Why the fudge cant delivery companies give you a delivery window instead of 'today' >.<

What century is this? The one with horses?

senahorse

A big part of my motivation to get a Wii U and PS4 was for local multiplayer with my girlfriend. This is something where Nintendo are streets ahead and PC is well behind. She has a shitty laptop which was good enough to play through Portal 2 co-op, but same screen comfy couch action works better for a lot of games.

We started playing Diablo 3 PS4 yesterday, and she loves it. Good way to spend some quality time.

Oh I forgot we had a mario kart machine, we also play on that. We still play a lot of our co-op games on PC (we just played through Divinity and SRIV together), in two different rooms but close enough to talk to each other. There are still a lot of co-op games you can play on PC on the couch as well.

Oh I forgot we had a mario kart machine, we also play on that. We still play a lot of our co-op games on PC (we just played through Divinity and SRIV together), in two different rooms but close enough to talk to each other. There are still a lot of co-op games you can play on PC on the couch as well.

Mario Kart machine is right! She didn't go for NSMBU or SMB 3D World at all, but MK8 goes down well.

If she had a better computer system link would be more viable. We tried out Borderlands 2 and... yeah, probably looks worse than Vita on her laptop. Ouch. Portal 2 was a real relationship tester, but it ran decently and was a true co-op experience.

I guess I could always bring my comp out to the lounge room for couch co-op.

Gazunta

When in Melbourne, Gazunta chooses to stay at the Marriott.

They do these canapes in the executive lounge that are to diiiie for

Darklord

Banned
All good, SuperBananaNova and SuttonDagger jumped in and helped out before my internet dropped out :(

>_<

Been a rough weekend for disconnections.

It's all good, I'm glad we teamed up cause I wouldn't have been able to do it. Destiny kills my internet SO much as well. As in flat out drops the entire internet. I don't know what the hell is wrong. Sigh. It might be my modem but I don't know, it's annoying.

I went to the local Telstra shop and asked for a new iPhone. Apparently, this is the wrong thing to do. Huh.

Anyway, the lack of new iPhone has made me think that I haven't had a non-Apple phone in nearly four years. Perhaps it's time I looked at alternatives? Thing is, I haven't so much as farted in the general direction of an Android phone in years. What's good out there?

Things I use my phone for:

- Browsing the web (sadly, my primary web device)
- Youtube / Vimeo / other
- Podcasts
- Camera
- Note taker / text editor (eg iaWriter, WriteRoom)

Things I don't use my phone for:
- Gaming

The last time I looked at an Android device, the thing that turned me off was the jankiness of the animations (text scrolling on webpages etc.) and responsiveness of the touchscreen. The iPhone at the time had the most naturalistic implementation of these things I'd seen. Just wondering if that's still the case or if things have drastically improved on Android.

I also tend to keep my phones for a while. Think two years or longer. I don't mind paying extra for something durable and future proof.

I know this is an uninteresting subject for most, but if anyone here had some strong opinions on the topic of phone OSs, I'd love to hear them.

markot

Banned
I went to the local Telstra shop and asked for a new iPhone. Apparently, this is the wrong thing to do. Huh.

Anyway, the lack of new iPhone has made me think that I haven't had a non-Apple phone in nearly four years. Perhaps it's time I looked at alternatives? Thing is, I haven't so much as farted in the general direction of an Android phone in years. What's good out there?

- Podcasts
- Camera

Things I don't use my phone for:
- Gaming

The last time I looked at an Android device, the thing that turned me off was the jankiness of the animations (text scrolling on webpages etc.) and responsiveness of the touchscreen. The iPhone at the time had the most naturalistic implementation of these things I'd seen. Just wondering if that's still the case or if things have drastically improved on Android.

I also tend to keep my phones for a while. Think two years or longer. I don't mind paying extra for something durable and future proof.

I know this is an uninteresting subject for most, but if anyone here had some strong opinions on the topic of phone OSs, I'd love to hear them.

http://www.samsung.com/au/galaxy-note4/

Quasar

- Podcasts
- Camera

Well aside from something like iaWriter, Android has stuff there. In fact with the first three I use the same apps on both OSes.

Whilst I've never owned an iPhone, I do use an iPad and a Nexus 4 daily. I don't really notice a difference there. If anything Android works better as its not starved for memory like iOS is.

That looks nice, but what do the numbers mean? If my current iPhone 4S is a farmer with a shotgun, the iPhone 6 and Galaxy Note 4 are...?
Well aside from something like iaWriter, Android has stuff there. In fact with the first three I use the same apps on both OSes.
Interesting. Is there an easy way to transfer my stuff (contacts, app preferences) from my 4S to an Android phone?

Whilst I've never owned an iPhone, I do use an iPad and a Nexus 4 daily. I don't really notice a difference there. If anything Android works better as its not starved for memory like iOS is.
I don't understand. Does iOS artificially throttle RAM for apps or something?

Gazunta

Yeah Marriott charging for internet is complete bullshit. Drives me nuts that they think that's OK. Thankfully you get it free if you join up with their free rewards program.

CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE CONVINCE ME TO JUST DRAW SIMPLE THREE PANEL COMICS FROM NOW ON THIS 2 PAGE COMIC ABOUT POLE POSITION IS KILLING ME AGH

Tommy DJ

That looks nice, but what do the numbers mean? If my current iPhone 4S is a farmer with a shotgun, the iPhone 6 and Galaxy Note 4 are...?

Interesting. Is there an easy way to transfer my stuff (contacts, app preferences) from my 4S to an Android phone?

I don't understand. Does iOS artificially throttle RAM for apps or something?

1) Basically Goku. The question is whether or not you care about power levels. My mum doesn't give a shit about specs and maybe you don't either. The main differences will likely be better battery life, larger screens, and better cameras. I'm assuming markot recommended the Note 4 because its large enough that non-mobile websites and "productivity" apps are actually fairly legible and usable on it. The stylus might be to your liking too.

2) As far as I know, most Android phones have a set-up procedure that helps you find and transfer from iOS to Android. I know Sony phones do some bullshit that lets you transfer contacts, messages, as well as find similar/identical apps on the Play Store.

3) iPhones don't have a lot of RAM. This limits the number of simultaneous apps you can have open at once, which can impact the multitasking experience. I've never found it to be a problem but apparently some people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom