• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruncho

Repost! Who's keen!?

kt5SZ1S.gif

So steam is officially dead for Australian consumers. Region gifting has been completely shut down, including using vpn to download a game (as they won't even launch without vpns now). With Valve charging USD for Australian consumers it means that GTAV for example costs about $100. The dream is over...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cam, I didn't die from raw chicken. Cancel the search party.

My family arrived to pick me up for easter dinners ith about 5 seconds notoice

Gazunta

The new issue of Reset 64, the hot new Commodore 64 magazine, is now out!

Reset #06 features a world first review of Robot Riot's new puzzler Gravitrix. We take an in depth look at the new C64 conversion of Donkey Kong Junior and have a chat with programmer Andreas Varga about his experience with making the game. Robert Caporetto takes a look at the 2014 RGCD 16kb Cartridge Game Competition, Stingray reports from the 2014 Brisbane C64 night and Craig Derbyshire gives us a tutorial on how to connect to BBS.s using our C64s or VICE. All the usual columns return including Games That Weren't, Format Wars and Blast From The Past. To top it all off, our Mix-i-disk contains a brand spanking new intro, the preview of Wanax's latest creation Break 64, as well as a whole heap of goodies courtesy of our friends at Protovision, including a special two-player version of their classic game Bomb Mania. We hope you enjoy the issue!

Plus it also has a brand new Donkey Kong Jr comic in it by me :)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
So steam is officially dead for Australian consumers. Region gifting has been completely shut down, including using vpn to download a game (as they won't even launch without vpns now). With Valve charging USD for Australian consumers it means that GTAV for example costs about $100. The dream is over...

I was able to buy Hotline Miami 2 a few weeks ago. Steam still thought I was in the UK.

But yeah, this is going to be quite a situation - especially if applied to other countries. For example: Sega games are not on Taiwan (or most Asian) Steam stores. If I find out I can't play games I bought in the UK in Taiwan it'll be quite something.

Christ we were away for just over 24 hours and the cat acts as if he thought we went down on the Titanic or some shit. Trying to catch up on tv shows and he won't let go of my damn arm. Get a grip dude.

Check if animelab works on the Wii U browser too. Works perfectly on my PS4 and that saved me from subbing to Crunchryoll lol.
Fuck yeah, animelab rules. Need to get back on there and get my Naruto on.

K-2: infant
3-6: primary
7-10: high
11-12: college

My experience. Good split imo
Same and agree 100%. Year 7 was a real awakening at the right time for me.

Earning $85 an hour. Ty penalty rates.
YOU ARE THE REASON MOM AND POP DOWN THE STREET HAD TO SELL THEIR CAFE YOU DAMN HALAL MONSTER >_<
#heraldsuncomments

Cerity

Region gifting is gone?

Not really, they're just fixing up what they forgot to/didn't implement the first time. When they initially forced the cross-region lockdown, gift packs were exempt for some reason, now they're being locked down as well. This thing only applies to gifts from the cheaper regions.

cn4kRxU.png

that red exclamation will tell you if it's region locked. It also seems like they've added location locks to prevent people activating them through a VPN.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Netflix predicted I would find Transformers 4 a 2/5 and it was right....

I assumed that rating was a you have a 2/5 rating of liking this, not you will think of it as a 2/5.

Reading that again I can see that they're the same but they're totally not.

Bot works again BTW guys. The not was spazzing cos someone else has started using the nick "S", who seem to be an admin possibly. When I get home from work tonight I'll see if it was my fault or not.

On another note, been playing Dark Souls 1. I finally see why people like these games. That said, dying then having to kill everything again is quite annoying. More bonfires pls
jk
bloodborne looks right up my alley but no PC version (even on the horizon) means I'm unlikely to play it.

Saw the gta5 60fps trailer. Looks great and I preordered it yesterday. Very excited. I got it through GMG and says I get a rock star social club redeemable key, which is confusing because I didn't see anywhere to redeem such a key on the website. I suppose itll happen soon maybe. Wish I could've gotten it on steam but there you are

I assumed that rating was a you have a 2/5 rating of liking this, not you will think of it as a 2/5.

Reading that again I can see that they're the same but they're totally not.
Is that what those stars mean? I watched Hello Kitty Flanagan because it rated the movie 4/5 and that was pretty spot on.

By the by, having complete seasons of Thomas the Tank Engine, Octonauts and Charlie & Lola all in one place is super convenient. The little guy got up this morning and has sat with us in bed watching Pedro rescue a sea snake. The only deficit I see in Netflix' kids' selection is no Peppa Pig, In the Night Garden or Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom.

It's also not up to date with the latest episodes/seasons of a lot of shows but the breadth of content makes up for it VKS (hasn't got the newest season of Rescue Bots yet!).

Saw the gta5 60fps trailer. Looks great and I preordered it yesterday. Very excited. I got it through GMG and says I get a rock star social club redeemable key, which is confusing because I didn't see anywhere to redeem such a key on the website. I suppose itll happen soon maybe. Wish I could've gotten it on steam but there you are

Rockstar site is generally good, hell of a lot better than the shitshow that is GMG at least! Always had tons of issues downloading from them.

Foxtel has ads????

Just started watching Mad Men for the first time last night on Netflix. I like!

It's one of the greats as far as I'm concerned, up there with Sopranos, GoT, Doctor Who, Sherlock.

Yeah, the last half-season (split like BB ws) starts on Foxtel in an hour and I'm busting to see it (if I can get the Tv room to myself, which is unlikley). Otherwise I wait till about 5:30 and my iTunes season pass version will available.

Trying so hard to get it spoiled by going into the MM thread.

Hey, GoT's back next week!

Kritz

Banned
I kinda came to the realisation that I don't really like scifi television shows. I think there's the potential that I will like them, like Firefly (not the best show ever but it's kinda goofy fun), but I don't really like series that are about the scifi (see: star trek, which from what I watched was a series about exploring scifi tropes).

Movies, on the other hand, are pretty cool. Athough even still I'd sometimes prefer a Her (scifi as a background element) to a Sunshine or Matrix (scifi as a primary element).

I kinda came to the realisation that I don't really like scifi television shows. I think there's the potential that I will like them, like Firefly (not the best show ever but it's kinda goofy fun), but I don't really like series that are about the scifi (see: star trek, which from what I watched was a series about exploring scifi tropes).

Movies, on the other hand, are pretty cool. Athough even still I'd sometimes prefer a Her (scifi as a background element) to a Sunshine or Matrix (scifi as a primary element).

Bab 5 is quite different than that class of show. The main obstacle for most people to watch it is that it kind of mediocre acting from some of the regulars and atrocious special effects (early 90's CGI, tons of it). It's got long, well planned arcs, strong continuity, and is focused on characters and politics, not science and technobabble.

It would be unfair for me to say that trek is all science and technobabble, but there's definitely a lot of that in trek, and usually for the worse. The best episodes are almost always ones that veer away from that stuff.

S1 is rough because it's got all the disadvantages of the show but few of the advantages, since it being so amazing later on is the result of long arcs playing out that were set up early on, and character growth which obviously isn't going to be present when you're only just meeting characters for the first time.

I have seen B5 from its original run. It has great storylines but really, really, ear-bleedingly bad dialogue delivered by some wooden actors- I'd say its more the guest artists than the regulars. Also- it was made on a strict 9-5 schedule compared to Trek who would film well into the night.
The only show I can recall having 5 seasons mapped out at the start of production, kinda rejigged because nearly the entire cast change between the pilot and the second season, then being told to wrap up the series at season 4, then getting a 5th season at the last minute. That Byron guy does lots of game voices these days. He played the lead character in Saboteur.

I went to a B5 convention in Brisbane back around 93/94 and got to see Jerry Doyle and Andrea Thompson (they were married then). Supanova kids don't know how good they have it these days.

The CG doesn't bother me at all. I still love original Doctor Who and Blake's 7 and those shows often had effects that were unacceptable when they were originally shown. It's the shoddy acting and clunky dialogue that kills it for me.

#TeamIvanova

Netflix so far has not really impressed me. Most of the stuff I can find on SBS on demand anyway, and what's left I can probably watch within the free month. I suppose if they get more content or start broadcasting a new show I like that updates weekly I might change my mind but as it is now I think I'll cancel after the month is up :(
Speaking of, is there any way to watch GoT here without foxtel?

Has anyone been playing bloodborne? I'm having a lot of fun with it, as depressing as it is.

Netflix so far has not really impressed me

With Getflix, the US catalogue is great. I think I have access to UK and others too but never really tried. I wound up getting it on the cheap thanks to the Easter deal they had going.

I have seen B5 from its original run. It has great storylines but really, really, ear-bleedingly bad dialogue delivered by some wooden actors- I'd say its more the guest artists than the regulars. Also- it was made on a strict 9-5 schedule compared to Trek who would film well into the night.
The only show I can recall having 5 seasons mapped out at the start of production, kinda rejigged because nearly the entire cast change between the pilot and the second season, then being told to wrap up the series at season 4, then getting a 5th season at the last minute. That Byron guy does lots of game voices these days. He played the lead character in Saboteur.

I went to a B5 convention in Brisbane back around 93/94 and got to see Jerry Doyle and Andrea Thompson (they were married then). Supanova kids don't know how good they have it these days.

The CG doesn't bother me at all. I still love original Doctor Who and Blake's 7 and those shows often had effects that were unacceptable when they were originally shown. It's the shoddy acting and clunky dialogue that kills it for me.

#TeamIvanova

I guess the downsides just don't bother me as much. But I think B5 is one of the shows most in need of a remake with modern production values. Like an HBO treatment. You'd have to cut down the season size but it would probably be stronger for it anyway.

Perhaps we could do some sort of postal trade if you like. Can we get away with just putting them regular envelopes?

Ps sorry for late reply
No worries. I've been dealing with a spewy toddler anyway. Check your PMs.

Netflix so far has not really impressed me. Most of the stuff I can find on SBS on demand anyway, and what's left I can probably watch within the free month. I suppose if they get more content or start broadcasting a new show I like that updates weekly I might change my mind but as it is now I think I'll cancel after the month is up :(
Speaking of, is there any way to watch GoT here without foxtel?

Has anyone been playing bloodborne? I'm having a lot of fun with it, as depressing as it is.
This question interests me as well.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Everyone says season 1 of Babylon 5 sucks btw, so if you watch it don't judge too harshly based on that.

A lot of TV shows - especially sci-fi - have rough first seasons. Basically, the writers are still finding a good tone and discovering what works and what doesn't, and they're susceptible to lots of interference from their network. That and in the case of sci-fi they're burdened with having to explain their concept, background and stuff whilst pushing forwards the story and characters.

Fortunately Babylon 5 was given to a chance beyond its mediocre first season. The resulting second season is amazing and builds into the absolute juggernaut that is the third season. The fourth season struggles slightly with having two seasons worth of story crammed into it but is still high quality. But this left a vacuum that the fifth season struggled to fill.

B5 is easily the best sci-fi show I've ever watched, and it's in my top three TV shows alongside Seinfeld and the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons.

Bloodborne is great despite me sucking at it (also being too scared to play for long).

Athough even still I'd sometimes prefer a Her (scifi as a background element) to a Sunshine or Matrix (scifi as a primary element).

This is my preference too, in most themes to be honest.

Even something like Blade Runner I love it for the high concept stuff, not the scifi.

Find a friend who has foxtel and invite yourself around.

Wait three months and get it on iTunes or Google.

Pirate it.

help me out, I'm dying here.
Out of the people I know, only my Mum has Foxtel.

I am never watching Game of Thrones with her.

EDIT: Actually, turns out my father in law has it too. We got him a box set of books 1 - 4 for Christmas one year, which I'm pretty sure he's never read, so no go there either.

Card Boy

Banned
LTTP but just started watching the IT Crowd and am halfway through season 2 (each season is 6 eps). The show is literally laugh out funny.

"Have you turned it off and on again?"

Love it.

Kritz

Banned
LTTP but just started watching the IT Crowd and am halfway through season 2 (each season is 6 eps). The show is literally laugh out funny.

"Have you turned it off and on again?"

Love it.

the show peaks with The Work Outing, for me. I don't think I even watched the show past season 2.

But, man, what a hell of an episode that was.

MoonGred

Finished bloodborne last night. The last two bosses were a walk in the park compared to others. I really wanted to use that scythe which turns out you get at the end of the game. Played around with new game + for an hour or so but just couldn't be bothered going through all of it again.

the show peaks with The Work Outing, for me. I don't think I even watched the show past season 2.

But, man, what a hell of an episode that was.

The Work Outing is probably the best episode of comedy I've ever seen. The one time I thought "Holy shit, this is better than Black Books!".

It never really hit that perfectly scripted peak again but even the last season was enjoyable. Matt Berry is fucking incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom