• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Basically everywhere and on anything. OT for each conference will have tons of links aside from the device in question.

Giant Bomb should have direct stream under commentary stream again I expect.

Right. I did find an E3 channel which should make it simple and hopefully not bandwidth impaired.

As for Giant Bomb...its interesting I gave up on them around the time Patrick left as he was the only thing that kept me interested given the folks moving to NYC and not on the podcast. Well that and new people who I was not keen on.

So its the first year in a while where there isn't lots of podcasting for me to glom onto. I went from 1UP to Giantbomb in that respect and there isn't really anywhere for me to go now I don't think.

Right. I did find an E3 channel which should make it simple and hopefully not bandwidth impaired.

As for Giant Bomb...its interesting I gave up on them around the time Patrick left as he was the only thing that kept me interested given the folks moving to NYC and not on the podcast. Well that and new people who I was not keen on.

So its the first year in a while where there isn't lots of podcasting for me to glom onto. I went from 1UP to Giantbomb in that respect and there isn't really anywhere for me to go now I don't think.
I only follow GB during E3, nothing else really interests me now that Patrick is gone, yeah. Livestream reaction tends to improve the conferences I'm not overly invested in.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just came back from spending nine days in Sydney.. feels great to be back home at least, bit was definitely some of the most awesome times in my life.

Impressions

- Public transport is shit and expensive compared to Melbourne
- Melbourne is better
- The Sydney Aquarium is cool.
- Karaoke with friends was one of the most fucking awesome experiences ever
- Lots of drinking and good times were had at the various bars in Sydney
- N2 Gelato in Newtown is ORGASMIC.
- Newtown is the most awesome-ish hipster place ever if I had to move to Sydney I'd love to live there.
- Everything except for the coffee is so expensive in Sydney

Now I have two-weeks of placement, a assignment + exam to study for... a 2500-300 word talk to write.. then a 6-day conference in Adelaide then back to full-time study in July. Thank god for these past 9-days otherwise I would have gone insane.

MoonGred

I like how your 2nd point is that Melbourne is better haha.

I have no horse in this race, haven't even been to Sydney yet

Is Perth that different to the East coast cities?

Perth stores all close at 5pm, and don't open at all on sundays. Or at least that was the case when I lived there. Beaches were nice, about as nice as the east coast. And everyone was very snooty and pretentious about being better than the east coast :p

Jintor

tbh i kinda want to live in melbourne for a while. also slightly more likely to get a job there I think than in sydney when I come back.

i'd also like to maybe spend a year in the US or the UK or something - somewhere english speaking (i can't deal with being beginner level at another language again) first tho. But probably can't afford to put off career stuff too long...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
fuck you its my house fuck you its my house fuck you its my house its my house simon you woman beating rapist. its not yours i can kick you out when ever i want youve already bashed me 3 times tonight you woman beating rapist. help everyone hes locked me out of my own house

open the fucking door im not drunk this is my fucking house and im kicking you out right now,

i pay rent too you dog.

i can kick you out coz ive got majority on the lease . take a blood and alcohol test im not fucking drunk. how many times have you raped me. how many times have you raped me. how many times have you raped me. you've raped me at least 25 times, including up the arse.

hes raped me and hes beaten me and theres scientific evidence. hes raped me and bashed me 3 times, my arm is broken because of him

i fucking hate you, you're a woman beating rapist. how are you still alive. how is god allowing you to live

him: shut up ya drunk
her: im not drunk
him: i told the asian cunt down there not to sell you alcohol any more.

her: what ae you, are you better or worse? are you better or worse? get out of my house i dont want to see you again

him: stupid fucking whore smoking inside
her: NO
him: letting off the smoke alarm you cunt

Jesus Holy, how long till you get out of that place?

I had a similarly crazy bogan lady call up and start harassing me the other day, because my uncle came up to visit for the week and she has some kind of relationship with him. Kept saying she was going to sue me and that I was going to kill him and steal the inheritance or some weird stuff. Also made a bunch of really low blows about my parents. Turned out she's a hell's angel and only recently got out of prison for beating up a cop. Not sure if I should be worried or not. I've never felt more grateful to be living in middle class suburbia :s

tbh i kinda want to live in melbourne for a while. also slightly more likely to get a job there I think than in sydney when I come back.

i'd also like to maybe spend a year in the US or the UK or something - somewhere english speaking (i can't deal with being beginner level at another language again) first tho. But probably can't afford to put off career stuff too long...

Bah, all the experience you're getting is building towards something. You gotta enjoy life.

To fucking be or not to fucking be? Who's asking, ya cunt?

What city/suburb are you in Holy?

I'm visualizing Christopher Walken reading the role of "Ya Drunk Cunt" and I'm gonna go with Dame Judi Dench for the role of "Woman with Facebook status listed as 'It's Fucking Complicated'"

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jesus Holy, how long till you get out of that place?

I had a similarly crazy bogan lady call up and start harassing me the other day, because my uncle came up to visit for the week and she has some kind of relationship with him. Kept saying she was going to sue me and that I was going to kill him and steal the inheritance or some weird stuff. Also made a bunch of really low blows about my parents. Turned out she's a hell's angel and only recently got out of prison for beating up a cop. Not sure if I should be worried or not. I've never felt more grateful to be living in middle class suburbia :s

Bah, all the experience you're getting is building towards something. You gotta enjoy life.

Moving next weekend! I will miss the bogans.

and hot damn, that sounds.. fun... yes, community housing in middle class suburbs, spread the pain around! such fun.

What city/suburb are you in Holy?

I'm visualizing Christopher Walken reading the role of "Ya Drunk Cunt" and I'm gonna go with Dame Judi Dench for the role of "Woman with Facebook status listed as 'It's Fucking Complicated'"

Mitcham Melbourne! its not even a bad suburb. they just seem to plonk those bogans in a unit.

fuck you its my house fuck you its my house fuck you its my house its my house simon you woman beating rapist. its not yours i can kick you out when ever i want youve already bashed me 3 times tonight you woman beating rapist. help everyone hes locked me out of my own house

open the fucking door im not drunk this is my fucking house and im kicking you out right now,

i pay rent too you dog.

i can kick you out coz ive got majority on the lease . take a blood and alcohol test im not fucking drunk. how many times have you raped me. how many times have you raped me. how many times have you raped me. you've raped me at least 25 times, including up the arse.

hes raped me and hes beaten me and theres scientific evidence. hes raped me and bashed me 3 times, my arm is broken because of him

i fucking hate you, you're a woman beating rapist. how are you still alive. how is god allowing you to live

him: shut up ya drunk
her: im not drunk
him: i told the asian cunt down there not to sell you alcohol any more.

her: what ae you, are you better or worse? are you better or worse? get out of my house i dont want to see you again

him: stupid fucking whore smoking inside
her: NO
him: letting off the smoke alarm you cunt
Avalanches should sample this on a track for the new album. Aussie as fuck!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I think it's clear that I need to buy a car and get my license. With work moving in October, Closer to home, It would be pretty damn beneficial to drive instead of taking public transport.

So, Does anyone here have any good articles, tips, anything that I can read up on to educate myself when it comes to getting my first used bomb?

Roulette

Get a cheap Toyota. They run forever. I bought a 1999 Camry with a ton of kms on it 3 years ago as my first car. Still running, now has 450,000kms. I think it cost me $2.5k.

r1chard

evl: educate thyself and good luck :)

Whatever you do, don't listen to people saying shit like "oh, just get a Ford, those things last forever" (sorry Roulette) 'cos for every person who says that, there's someone who says "christ, mate, never get a Ford, those things are traps". Everyone's had different experiences. Personally, I've owned cars across four manufacturers, and they've all been great (including the Renault, a manufacturer universally bagged, mostly because they're French I think).

Darren870

That's a nice idea and all, but it's much easier to offer the ladies a lift home if you have another seat.

Phftt, easy solution for that!!

TradeWinds%20Recumbent%20Tandem%20Bike%207.jpg

We have a 1999 Holden Commodore Station Wagon - $2500 Used
And a 2013 Suzuki Alto - $6500 Used.

I'd recommend the Suzuki. While its not fast, its great on gas, cheap, safe and reliable. Can get into a lot of little spots which is great for Melbourne.
Wouldn't recommend it for Syd though. Too many hills there and it def struggles a bit on them.

Fredescu

Whatever you do, don't listen to people saying shit like "oh, just get a Ford, those things last forever" (sorry Roulette) 'cos for every person who says that, there's someone who says "christ, mate, never get a Ford, those things are traps". Everyone's had different experiences. Personally, I've owned cars across four manufacturers, and they've all been great (including the Renault, a manufacturer universally bagged, mostly because they're French I think).

Partially true, but for a first car you'd want a fairly common make and model so you're not going to have any nasty surprises regarding parts and most mechanics can fix them easily enough. All cars have problems, even those will "bullet proof" reputations, but the difference between a Toyota and say a Renault is your local mechanic is probably going to be across all the common problems because that's their bread and butter. Corolla and Camry are good for that reason. Falcon on gas is too!

Both of my cars are weird brands, but I know what I'm getting myself into. My first car was a Corolla and honestly it was a bucket of shit that I had constant problems with. I'd still generally recommend them as a good default option though.

Phftt, easy solution for that!!

I stand corrected!

I made a thread in Off Topic asking for tech support, but nobody wants to actually help :(

Anyone here able to help me?

Hi guys, I'm running a laptop that's been having issues with painfully slow boot times of late. The system hangs on a black screen for minutes at a time before I can even type in my credentials to log in.

Here are my specs:

HP Pavilion
Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7-4500U @ 1.8 GHz 2.4 GHz
8GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GT 740M
700GB HDD (HGST HTS541075A9E680)

Now, I've already gone through the usual rigmarole of updating/reinstalling my drivers, removing HP crapware as well as disabling everything from booting at startup except for Avast! antivirus. I think I've narrowed the issue down to the DirectX driver dxgkrnl.sys.

From the boot log, all instances of this file:

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

What seems to be happening is that the driver loads just fine, but for some reason the system is attempting to load it again four more times. I don't know if there are other processes that are trying to load this file but are failing (because it's already loaded) or what, but it's the only unusual thing I've noticed in the boot log.

This is puzzling to say the least and a quick Google search tells me this has happened to other people, but the threads I've found online are either years old or seem to just end abruptly with nobody actually solving the issue. Even people with an SSD appear to have 2-3 minute startup times when they experience this problem.

Has anyone else ever come across this? Is there a common fix or am I doomed to sluggish boot times forever?

Fredescu

Is it faster when booting into safe mode? Plenty of free disk space? Could you create a fresh local user, reboot, and log in as that user, and see if that's faster?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thanks for the links all. In terms of cost, I guess 10k is my max, Which is probably high for a first car by the sounds of it, But I can afford it without any issues.

I have been thinking of ford or toyota, I don't mind the look of the focus and I didn't mind the Yaris about a year ago when I was thinking about getting a car. I like the idea of something smaller than larger, like a hatchback or something similar.

@ Squirrel. It could be a GPU issues. As fred mentioned, Try safeboot and see what happens. You could try to run dxdiag from start > run and do a quick check, otherwise you could try reinstalling the GPU drivers. It might be worth completely removing them and then installing, just to make it seem like it's a fresh start.

Is it faster when booting into safe mode? Plenty of free disk space? Could you create a fresh local user, reboot, and log in as that user, and see if that's faster?
It's a bit faster booting in safe mode, but still not zippy and it's still doing the multiple attempts at loading that driver.

The delay happens well before it asks for any login credentials, so I can't see what creating a new local user would do. My main account is a local user, btw.

EDIT: dxdiag hasn't detected any problems.

Omikron

Things wrong with the new Doom:

1) Slow
2) Bullet sponges
3) Pointless executions that pause gameplay
4) Pointless slowdown that pauses gameplay on weapon switching, this is also a major issue for gameplay aesthetics in that it allows you to essentially pause to evaluate options. This isn't Doom.
5) Lack of enemies on screen at a time

I will add more as I process.

there are a lot of things GoT TV viewers wouldn't want spoiled in the season finale. But there's a fair few things that people will be talking about online so to be forewarned is to be ready to jam your fingers in your ears and shout "la-la-la-la-I can't hear you!"

Things wrong with the new Doom:

1) modern version of id are clueless fucking imbeciles.

fixed

4llout
4llout
4llout

I came into the stream during Fallout 4. fuck whatever else I was doing, back to Fallout 3 after this.

edit: Bethesda aren't fucking around

Omikron

Bethesda taking the piss out of F2P gaming then dropping that you can just make bases / rebuild a town in Fallout 4.

Fucking nuts.

November 10.

hidys

The Bethesda conference was awesome. It's probably one of the better 3rd party conferences I've seen.

Fallout 4 coming out this year was a big fucking drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom