• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zero nostalgia for ff and shenmue, but in general I'm just super jaded these days. Half the time I see new games and my reaction is "gee I wonder how this one is going to disappoint us". Despite all the "megatons" nothing I've seen thus far has gotten more excited really and I doubt the Nintendo conference will change that.

There's a HoI4 shaped hole in my heart and no amount of AAA cinematic shootbang can fill it.

Rubixcuba

Banned
I have zero nostalgia for ff and shenmue, but in general I'm just super jaded these days. Half the time I see new games and my reaction is "gee I wonder how this one is going to disappoint us". Despite all the "megatons" nothing I've seen thus far has gotten more excited really and I doubt the Nintendo conference will change that.

Horizon looked alright those Mutes? That was essentially the only real new game announcement we got from Sony.

hamchan

The FF7 remake is realistically many many years away. While I am super excited that it exists, it is sorta masking how lackluster Sony's first party in 2015 is.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

There's a HoI4 shaped hole in my heart and no amount of AAA cinematic shootbang can fill it.

Remember what it was like when you saw Mario 64 the first time? How you can define pre-mario 64 3D gaming, and post-mario 64 3D gaming.

Shenmue was that for modern gaming. It was also the last hurrah for Yu Suzuki, Sega's Shigeru Miyamoto. Suzuki is the guy behind Space Harrier, Outrun, Afterburner, Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, etc.

Imagine if Miyamoto suddenly stopped making games after Zelda; OOT. And imagine OOT ended on a cliffhanger. And the resolution got announced 15 years later with Miyamoto's glorious return.

this

Which of the Sony first party games is coming out this year?

Do you mean Indie type games or AAA? Until Dawn is their big release that's known. Super quiet E3 for a few of their internal studios so I expect SSM stuff will come out at PSX again (also Gamescom/TGS).

July: God of War 3 remaster
August: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture & Until Dawn
Sept: Tearaway Unfolded
Oct: Uncharted NDC

Which of the Sony first party games is coming out this year?

Umm Uncharted Remaster, Tearaway... yeah... that's about it I think!

I don't really care personally. I like the idea of spreading stuff throughout the year, and Bloodborne already slayed me hard for 2015. I still need to pick up Witcher 3 at some stage, keep playing Splatoon, maybe Batman, almost certainly MGS, maybe Star Wars in November. Xenoblade X? No Mans Sky? Yeah I've got plenty of shit to play for the rest of the year.

Shaneus

They covered it up pretty well with amazing announcements, but that is a very serious problem.
Yeah, I noticed that once I caught my breath... there's basically nothing announced for this year. I guess if we're lucky we'll get No Man's Sky, but I would really struggle to see *anything* interesting come out of PS4 (or Vita) again this year.

At least Tearaway PS4 is coming soon I think.

Well, this just happened:
SGQNYqZ.png

Shit: Shenmue's over a million. I predict it hits $10 million. Irony will be off the charts if it hits 70 million.

anyhoo, Without Nintendo, I made a list

FALLOUT 4!!!!!
Arkham Knight
Rainbow Six
Battlefront
CoD Blops III
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Halo 5
Rare Collection
No Man's Sky
Tomb Raider

Uncharted 4
Yooka Laylee
Quantum Break
Crackdown (leap of faith)
Ghost Recon
Sea of Thieves (Rare)

Yrael

Wow, it reached the $1 million mark faster than Yooka-Laylee!

I'm on the lookout for a new laptop priced around $1500 - are Asus laptops any good? (A high end processor is a must for me, as I do a lot of computational work in addition to gaming.)

Shaneus

And for anyone who might be looking, this seems to be a great deal on a portable battery. It doesn't have the most capacity there (it's 10500mAh vs 16000mAh) but the next step up is another $15.

Fusebox

Banned
Wow, it reached the $1 million mark faster than Yooka-Laylee!

I'm on the lookout for a new laptop priced around $1500 - are Asus laptops any good? (A high end processor is a must for me, as I do a lot of computational work in addition to gaming.)

I've got a bunch of dead Asus laptops here, various probs. Loving the new Dell XPS though, I'd get another of those in a second.

Also Asus trackpads and keyboards feel cheap.

And for anyone who might be looking, this seems to be a great deal on a portable battery. It doesn't have the most capacity there (it's 10500mAh vs 16000mAh) but the next step up is another $15.
I bought a couple of these a few weeks back. They're quite big and weighty - not suitable for pockets but OK for bags. They'll charge a 2A device (e.g. iPad) just fine, though I wish they were a bit faster with my Nexus 5, don't seem to provide a full 2A to those. Also beware of fakes, there's plenty of images around to compare legit to fake ones, and also a website to verify they're authentic.

thats incredible. i bought in at $29.

last guardian looks interesting, i wonder how/if the hud with develop or if youre supposed to just gut-instinct it through the levels.

that yarny game looks really lovely.

Yrael

I've got a bunch of dead Asus laptops here, various probs. Loving the new Dell XPS though, I'd get another of those in a second.

Also Asus trackpads and keyboards feel cheap.

My current laptop is a Dell XPS 17 (a model from 2011, bought in 2012), but I've had so many troubles with it - faulty chargers, broken hinges and now a wobbly charge port. It's the big reason why I'm looking for a laptop away from the Dell line. :(

Bummer to hear about Asus laptops having lots of problems too!

Shaneus

I bought a couple of these a few weeks back. They're quite big and weighty - not suitable for pockets but OK for bags. They'll charge a 2A device (e.g. iPad) just fine, though I wish they were a bit faster with my Nexus 5, don't seem to provide a full 2A to those. Also beware of fakes, there's plenty of images around to compare legit to fake ones, and also a website to verify they're authentic.
That's the 10500 one you're talking about? Yeah, the form factor of it is a bit of a pain, but I don't think it's easy at all to get something high capacity, good for the pocket that isn't at least a little cumbersome. Besides, I already have (I think) a 2400mAh battery anyway if I need a pocket one in a clutch... but it's a bitch to charge (can't do it over USB) so I rarely use it.

Yeah these are great, been using one for about a year now to charge the Vita if I forget an AC or car charger.

Good to see some people with a bit of enthusiasm for the hobby! Holy shit were Giant Bomb a downer. Brad was like "FF7? Meh. Expected. Who cares". Cheer up sunshine! Life isn't all that bad! Have some fun while also acknowledging negative aspects of something.

Fusebox

Banned
My current laptop is a Dell XPS 17 (a model from 2011, bought in 2012), but I've had so many troubles with it - faulty chargers, broken hinges and now a wobbly charge port. It's the big reason why I'm looking for a laptop away from the Dell line. :(

Bummer to hear about Asus laptops having lots of problems too!

Yeah I'd agree with that, my old Dell XPS 17 was a real clunker, but the new 13 is really nice, aaaaalmost comparable to my MacBook in terms of build quality.

That's the 10500 one you're talking about? Yeah, the form factor of it is a bit of a pain, but I don't think it's easy at all to get something high capacity, good for the pocket that isn't at least a little cumbersome. Besides, I already have (I think) a 2400mAh battery anyway if I need a pocket one in a clutch... but it's a bitch to charge (can't do it over USB) so I rarely use it.
Yeah, I'm talking about the 10400mAh one. If you'll keep it in a pocket mostly, I wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps in a jacket pocket, but it will sag.

Quasar

Well...its clear I'm a grumpy old man. Pretty unimpressed by E3 so far. All the reliance on shooters and nostalgia for stuff I don't give a fuck about.

Though there's a few bright spots, like that yarn cat game, whatever dreams is, and I at least like the look of Horizon. And I was kind of surprised how little effort Sony went to with VR.

And I was kind of surprised how little effort Sony went to with VR.

They rushed through a hell of a lot of games. Half their E3 booth is dedicated to Morpheus demo units apparently.

Still got Gamescom, PSX & TGS before launch next year so I expect they'll push it more, mainly at their dedicated PSX conference I bet.

Quasar

They rushed through a hell of a lot of games. Half their E3 booth is dedicated to Morpheus demo units apparently.

Still got Gamescom, PSX & TGS before launch next year so I expect they'll push it more, mainly at their dedicated PSX conference I bet.

Its not so much what they showed but their words. It didn't sound as they were as dedicated as I thought they would be. But yeah..I guess by the time of PSX we'll see more and have a clearer picture of where Sony sees VR in relation to everything.

Its not so much what they showed but their words. It didn't sound as they were as dedicated as I thought they would be. But yeah..I guess by the time of PSX we'll see more and have a clearer picture of where Sony sees VR in relation to everything.

In terms of resources they are on the Morpheus train hardcore! Their lineup this year is pretty spotty due to so many studios doing VR stuff. They got a lot of shit last year for doing non-games stuff during the E3 conf so they made sure to focus almost entirely on GAMES GAMES GAEMS to appease the internet peoples. Worked well enough.

I just want Unravel right meowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Yrael

Yeah I'd agree with that, my old Dell XPS 17 was a real clunker, but the new 13 is really nice, aaaaalmost comparable to my MacBook in terms of build quality.

Ah cool, that's great to know. :) Thanks!

Checked it on the Dell website but it seems the 13 only has integrated graphics, which is a shame - the XPS 15 is the one with the discrete Nvidia GPU.

Shaneus

Holy shit, this guy:
1. New Suikoden game in the works now. This one is very far off though as it's a recent thing as far as I know. I'd think 2016 is the earliest we start hearing stuff about it.

2. Superman is looking to make his triumphant return to video games, in a non-fighting game this time.

3. New Virtua Fighter game to come.

4. Good news for some PC MGS fans, there are plans from the top to bring the HD collection to PC. Not that anyone isn't expecting that, I'm sure.

5. On the back of that, FFXII HD on current gen is basically confirmed at this point. As is one of the older Dragon Quest titles in HD (I've genuinely forgot which number though since it's been a while). In addition to that, there is a spin-off Final Fantasy title planned for consoles. Not big budget. Not FFX or FF7 in case people take it there. Not a traditional RPG either.

6. For you, thou shall bring a Xenosaga HD collection. I'm also looking forward to this as I've never played them. Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill. Now we're up in the big leagues, gettin' our turn at bat. As long as we live, it's you and me, baby.

7. You will start to hear about digital revivals of some old IPs in the next one to two years. Playstation and otherwise.

8. Another unnamed IP which is coming to Playstation exclusively from Sega should hopefully be announced next year. It's had teething issues which seems to be making it take longer than I thought, as have most other projects on current gen to be fair from the looks of it, but I'm happy to mention it again because it looks like we might finally get an announcement next year. I'm hoping at least. This one's not a fighting game. (Maybe Vanquish 2?!? My speculation/hope -Shaneus)

9. Third Person IP which is big budget is coming and it's set in the Indian subcontinent. Mentioning this because I feel it's quite notable something big is going this route. I don't think I've ever seen a big title in this kind of setting. I find it very surprising, but also very exciting. Western developed.

10. Japanese new IP which is set in...Japan. Third person action adventure title with monsters and machines. Might have RPG elements, not too sure on that unfortunately. Futurisitic setting. Playstation exclusive.

Now for more something which is what you would say is a tease but actually makes perfect sense:

11. (French Bonnie & Clyde song)
A new game which will be a pretty big deal, I'm sure.

12. (I'm Coming Home song)
An old game, which will be somewhat of a big deal I guess.

We should have news on all of the above over the coming 2 years I'd think. There's one or two "twists" here and there where one may not like what happens, but it's all true. I honestly think this is going to be an amazing generation.
Bolded the accurate ones from E3. Also, that Indian one mentioned could pass for Horizon?

Yeah, I'm talking about the 10400mAh one. If you'll keep it in a pocket mostly, I wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps in a jacket pocket, but it will sag.
Yeah, it'll mostly be for a bag. Anywhere I'm using my phone (or iPad) for extended periods will warrant bringing a bag with me.

Cerity

I can't really get on board with E3 announcements anymore. COOL LOOKING GAME, COMNG 2-3-4 YEARS FROM NOW. I'll get hyped once we're actually 2-3 weeks out from launch.

Did back Shenmue 3 tho.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I can't really get on board with E3 announcements anymore. COOL LOOKING GAME, COMNG 2-3-4 YEARS FROM NOW. I'll get hyped once we're actually 2-3 weeks out from launch.

Did back Shenmue 3 tho.

nintys is guaranteed to be 2015 only! dead console next yr

Fusebox

Banned
Fallout 4 Pip-boy preorder up at EB guys!

Shipment 1:
Preorder items available for store pick up on release date (10/11/2015).

Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition (PlayStation 4) $189.95 1 $50.00 $189.95

Items: $189.95 Shipping: $0.00 Deposit: $50.00 Total (inc GST): $189.95

It feels as though the FFVII remake announcement came about a decade too late. How many people who played the original are even still playing console games anymore? Between having to deal with their mortgages, wives and children, when are they ever going to find the time to put 70+ hours into a console game?

Fusebox

Banned
It feels as though the FFVII remake announcement came about a decade too late. How many people who played the original are even still playing console games anymore? Between having to deal with their mortgages, wives and children, when are they ever going to find the time to put 70+ hours into a console game?

Sounds accurate. I'm still excited about it but I can see this being the only bigass RPG I play for a while when it does come out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

I know I can!

I think, Just because it's 70+ hours, you don't have to play it all in 2 sittings. There's zero reason these days to take weeks, months to finish a game. Especially when you fit into the above stereotype.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I just had this conversation, only swapping "FFVII remake" with "Shenmue 3".

The funny thing about FFVII is that it took me around 4 months to complete it in 1998.

Fusebox

Banned
I just had this conversation, only swapping "FFVII remake" with "Shenmue 3".

At least FFVII is standalone, I played Shenmue 1 and 2 and apart from driving a forklift I can't remember sweet FA about either of them and there's no easy way to replay them to hype myself up before 3 comes out.

Wait people PLAY video games? I thought we just buy them and store them in our backlogs o_O

Nah this thing will sell fucking tons. It will be a current gen style game that also picks up the nostalgic people who hated FF13. Gangbusters. It blew up on Twitter massive today.

Shenmue 3 kickstarter is fucking flying along too. Much more interest than any other video game kickstarter so far. It'll do more than fine.

Cerity

FF7 is the type of game that'll get all those people buying consoles for the game imo.

I can't wait for the inevitable let down though, it's been anticipated for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom