• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. A flood of information about a breaking news story. I demand 100% accuracy on each and every detail.

In the real world inhabited by humans however....

Its breaking news, they make mistakes, they generally retract them, or explain that it is not completely reliable.

It isnt that easy or even possible to fact check all the claims coming out of these types of events.

And what they should aspire to and what we do are two very different things. A doctor doing life saving surgery without much time to prepare in a chaotic situation is going to behave and act differently to a doctor doing a cancer related operation that he has had a week to investigate.

Then there is the profit motive, having information by not using it because you were unable to verify it completely while your competitor uses that information, and it becomes clearly factual later on.... ? Well, you just lost a few nielson families. (Is that still a thing?)

You can retract in-corrections fairly harmlessly. You cant really tell your viewers 'hey, we wanted to dot our i's and cross out t's while the other media outlets were running away with the story.'
This is a pretty good podcast by a news reporter who was covering that shopping centre siege in Kenya last year which covers the very concept you're talking about.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/outside-westgate/

Having said that, I wish news organisations would sit on breaking news for a few seconds. Some of them are like teens with police scanners tweeting as they hear things, even the ABC when they splashed across that "one man arrested" and hostages being freed only to then retract that about 10 seconds later to indicate that the arrested individual was unrelated to the siege.

the #illridewithyou stuff is pretty heartwarming

My replacement headphones arrived. Huzzah.

A pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's.

Pretty happy with them as sub 150$ headphones from my brief listen.

Still lack of b&m stores with a wide range is a bit annoying as it leaves me to choose cans based on reviews and not listening tests.

I was gonna get a pair of these before I ended up buying a pair of Onkyo ES-FC300s. probably end up getting the audio technicas one day too

I'm still on a 720p RPTV! Have been for ages...

Almost set on buying this guy between now and early January, unless someone has a reason I should go with something else? Budget is around $1400-1800, I'm cool with 1080p, want 60-65", a good picture but don't give a crap about much else.

I think my parents bought this TV last week. though the pic of the box they sent me says 85W instead of 850W so I'm a bit confused even though they look the same and it's 60".

If there weren't lives at stake that would be almost pythonesque levels of comedy

yeah no kidding

Dryk

Yaaaay, my mum's hopped on the "I don't care if they want to kill him, should've sent him back as soon as he acted up once" train. Choooo choooo.

N0VAM0D

Yaaaay, my mum's hopped on the "I don't care if they want to kill him, should've sent him back as soon as he acted up once" train. Choooo choooo.

Man, I'm so glad that my immediate family isn't like this. Some of my cousins though... good riddance.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

So glad I'm out of the country atm. Hate to think what my parents are saying about this /:

markot

Banned
Valid questions about why he was on bail. 40 offences including accessory to murder....

The fact that he was granted political asylum is going to be big.

Darren870

Hard to disagree with her in a sense..

While I might not be in the "ship them back camp" it's a weird feeling when a country tries to give someone a better life then they do this. If you wanted to do these type of things why even come here. You're only hurting it for everyone else that deserves a better life in these war torn country.

Woke up to the news this morning and it was very sad. The train was very quiet today, even in Melbourne.

Dryk

Hard to disagree with her in a sense..
It is hard, but there are other ways of dealing with people like him than execution by proxy. We should be aspiring to be better than that.

It's good to see the media taking a decent angle on this story though, the police and judiciary have a lot to answer for.

Darren870

It is hard, but there are other ways of dealing with people like him than execution by proxy. We should be aspiring to be better than that.

It's good to see the media taking a decent angle on this story though, the police and judiciary have a lot to answer for.

Of course. Why he was on parole is more of the question.

Though, I'd rather draw more attention to the victims then this guy. Haven't bothered looking into his propaganda, couldn't really care to be honest.

Shaneus

So, anyone wanna lend me GTAV (assuming for PS4) when they do 100% it?

Yeah fair enough. Does look fun. Digital would be handy too and there is that PS+ discount...
Yeah, I jumped in day one with the PS+ discount and haven't for a single day regretted it. Shit, I practically bought a PS4 near launch for this game.

r1chard

So, if a person was to try to get the Tele's wrist slapped for that ridiculous shit they pulled yesterday, how would one do it?

She does understand he acted up for years and years and years right?

Valid questions about why he was on bail. 40 offences including accessory to murder....

Very valid, as they seem to be consistently with people out on bail continually doing fucked up shit. Anyone who works in conjunction with the law courts will tell you how broken the system is.

Now that's some dedication.
The non-story stuff is pretty great too so I feel compelled to experience most of it again. Easily an extra 20 hours in that stuff.

So, anyone wanna lend me GTAV (assuming for PS4) when they do 100% it?
Of course buddy, once I get the plat I'll send it your way.

So, if a person was to try to get the Tele's wrist slapped for that ridiculous shit they pulled yesterday, how would one do it?

Here

Include a link/copy of the paper.

B47CAseCMAACMil.jpg

Shaneus

Of course buddy, once I get the plat I'll send it your way.
Hey, you're alright!

TBH I never finished the OG GTA5 on PS3 so I don't know why I'd think I'd finish it on PS4. I just wanna have a bit of a fuck around with it... I doubt I'd have much of a chance over the next few weeks/months or whatever to play it, hence my apprehension in buying it at retail.

r1chard

Congratulations Kritz!!

ps. thanks reptile & jintor for the contact points, have done my grumpy-old-man-sends-letter duty for today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom