• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Fuck this stupid country

B43i66DCEAADmSr.png

No, fuck Newscorp.

Ventron

There were reports that one of the demands of the gunman was an ISIS flag because he didn't have one, only the black standard.

Jintor

Link? NSW cops had said no demands were made and they had no idea his intent or reason behind the situation.

NSW Police are playing everything close to their chest right now - good on 'em.

I see our good friend ConstructMe managed to get himself banned somehow. Never saw that coming...

Jintor

I'm listening to the 2GB feed at work and heard it on that

Is that the one with Roy whatshisface? Wouldn't put too much stock in that - but I wouldn't put too much stock in anything right now until the situation is resolved - too much conflicting reporting all around.

radaxian

Is that a flag of some kind they're holding up? Jesus :/

Just buy the damn thing! Chances are those games are digital downloads and unlikely to be sold, and if they're physical likely to be kept once they see said weather update. I've owned the game since launch and even without the weather it's an amazing game.

Every day you don't own it is a day you don't get to experience it.

Yeah fair enough. Does look fun. Digital would be handy too and there is that PS+ discount...

Jintor

Yeah Hugh Riminton was also told the gunman wants an ISIS flag and to also talk to the PM.

Man, I'm drawn between my rational knowledge that we don't have enough facts right now and my intrinsic need to speculate wildly.

But I think we can all probably agree that this gunman is a manifest idiot, apparently.

markot

Banned
I like how posting stupid things people say on twitter is a thing apparently.

Colour me shocked that the ADL said something racist and stupid. Keep us updated!

markot

Banned
Oh and the media hate......

The media is there to make money, we want to know what is happening, they are there to deliver it. It is clearly a terrorist attack. What should their headlines be? Why wouldnt they release special editions to update people? They are there to give us information and opinion.

Some of the comments I have seen during this event are bafflingly stupid. comments about 'whens the racist chanting' start by reptile in the other thread, posting headlines by newspapers and claiming theyre bad without actually explaining whats wrong with them ...

Whats wrong with you people? Stop watching the news? Except could it be that you want information? You are spurring them on to do what they are doing, trying to get us in the information first. You dont like the tone? What should the tone be for an event like this? Its a terrorist attack with multiple hostages in the middle of Sydney, its a pretty terror inducing event for Australia that has generally been free of these sorts of crimes.

Were getting pissy about all these stupid things, posting tweets by ADL (Really? Why not post some tweets from ISIS supporters to get their view?) The... utter belittling of the general populace Australian as racists. The comments about 'not jumping to conclusions' while jumping wholeheartedly in the opposite direction.

The media is doing its job, its a scary situation, its terrorism, they are going to stretch and generally grasp at a few straws in trying to inform us.

The 'opinions' from people on both sides are generally just different sides of the same coin. "Hey media dont fear monger and report unsubstantiated facts!".... "Boy this event is scary, I think that (Insert opinion based on political leanings that completely ignore reality) and I heard that (Insert unsubstantiated fact)"

Being inside a left wing echo chamber is scary. And im a marxist pretty much.

Heres a hint if you hate the media coverage. Dont watch it. Just visit ABC news online every once in awhile or some other site and get updates.

Jintor

The media is there to make money, we want to know what is happening, they are there to deliver it. It is clearly a terrorist attack. What should their headlines be? Why wouldnt they release special editions to update people? They are there to give us information and opinion.

Whats wrong with you people? Stop watching the news? Except could it be that you want information? You are spurring them on to do what they are doing, trying to get us in the information first. You dont like the tone? What should the tone be for an event like this? Its a terrorist attack with multiple hostages in the middle of Sydney, its a pretty terror inducing event for Australia that has generally been free of these sorts of crimes.

The media is doing its job, its a scary situation, its terrorism, they are going to stretch and generally grasp at a few straws in trying to inform us.

Being inside a left wing echo chamber is scary. And im a marxist pretty much.

Heres a hint if you hate the media coverage. Dont watch it. Just visit ABC news online every once in awhile or some other site and get updates.

What about when the information is incorrect? When the opinions are based on incorrect information? The fact that the media is there to make money doesn't give them a licence to just say things to sell papers or advertisements, right? It might be all you expect of them but it isn't what they should aspire to, is it?

Fredescu

The media is there to make money, we want to know what is happening, they are there to deliver it.

Outlets have found that there is money to be made by pandering to fear rather than seek to disperse it. "It's capitalism stupid" is a shitty defence for the likes of Hadley and the Tele. In my statist utopia they'd be in jail.

Jintor

I do agree though that I see little point in posting pictures of racist twitter comments being racist twitter comments or the ADL being their usual shitass selves.

markot

Banned
What about when the information is incorrect? When the opinions are based on incorrect information? The fact that the media is there to make money doesn't give them a licence to just say things to sell papers or advertisements, right? It might be all you expect of them but it isn't what they should aspire to, is it?

Yes. A flood of information about a breaking news story. I demand 100% accuracy on each and every detail.

In the real world inhabited by humans however....

Its breaking news, they make mistakes, they generally retract them, or explain that it is not completely reliable.

It isnt that easy or even possible to fact check all the claims coming out of these types of events.

And what they should aspire to and what we do are two very different things. A doctor doing life saving surgery without much time to prepare in a chaotic situation is going to behave and act differently to a doctor doing a cancer related operation that he has had a week to investigate.

Then there is the profit motive, having information by not using it because you were unable to verify it completely while your competitor uses that information, and it becomes clearly factual later on.... ? Well, you just lost a few nielson families. (Is that still a thing?)

You can retract in-corrections fairly harmlessly. You cant really tell your viewers 'hey, we wanted to dot our i's and cross out t's while the other media outlets were running away with the story.'

Jintor

You can retract in-corrections fairly harmlessly.

Bullshit. A lie (or more charitably a mistake) can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on. The idea that it was a straight up Isis flag in the window has gone out into the world and cannot simply be recalled. They're still correcting it as far as I know

I don't think anyone is disputing that it's understandable that a news organisation that is a profit engine first and fourth estate second would go ahead and perform this kind of journalism. But it's not wanted. It's not desirable.

What is the media supposed to be? Are they supposed to be accurate and truthful? Or are they just there to sate your immediate news interest even if they fill it with misinformation, suppositions and distortions?

markot

Banned
Outlets have found that there is money to be made by pandering to fear rather than seek to disperse it. "It's capitalism stupid" is a shitty defence for the likes of Hadley and the Tele. In my statist utopia they'd be in jail.

Hey now, I hate hadley as much as the next person. (Wasnt he a football commentator? NRLs loss is everyone elses loss too)

But it is capitalism stupid. Jones and co rate because they strike a chord with alot of people. I do agree that there should be better regulation, and forced corrections and the like for misinformation. But there is no public desire for that, because to alot of public, thats communism.

People dont want calm reasoned debates. Again, watch Frontline. They want to barrack for one side, hate the other, and yell at their tv.

Its capitalism, but its humans, its part of our nature. We are more emotive than rational. That is why right wing parties generally sell their message more easily, they rely more on emotions. Its the reptilian brain versus the 'human' one.

Fear is easy to sell because we have been surviving off it for millions of years.

markot

Banned
Bullshit. A lie (or more charitably a mistake) can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on. The idea that it was a straight up Isis flag in the window has gone out into the world and cannot simply be recalled. They're still correcting it as far as I know

I don't think anyone is disputing that it's understandable that a news organisation that is a profit engine first and fourth estate second would go ahead and perform this kind of journalism. But it's not wanted. It's not desirable.

What is the media supposed to be? Are they supposed to be accurate and truthful? Or are they just there to sate your immediate news interest even if they fill it with misinformation, suppositions and distortions?

What harm has that mistake caused though? We now seem to know that the guy wanted to put up an isis flag.

It was a mistake, I made it too based on only seeing the bottom of it... but is it a big deal? Does it change anything? It still seems like this is a 'lone wolf' isis inspired event. Its not like you get an isis flag with your membership dues.

And hey, you cant forth estate if you cant afford to... house... estate.

Dryk

I think I'm going to have to replace the drive with My Documents and Steam on it soon. It's been dropping out and getting louder in recent weeks.

EDIT: Okay... that's a blue-screen... maybe the drive isn't the problem...

Fredescu

I do agree that there should be better regulation, and forced corrections and the like for misinformation. But there is no public desire for that, because to alot of public, thats communism.
I think we basically agree. I just don't mind people complaining about it because it could lead to better regulation being a popular enough idea to implement.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just saw Paddington.

It was pretty adorable and funny. good fun for all the 20-30 something white people in attendance.

Jintor

What harm has that mistake caused though? We now seem to know that the guy wanted to put up an isis flag.

It was a mistake, I made it too based on only seeing the bottom of it... but is it a big deal? Does it change anything? It still seems like this is a 'lone wolf' isis inspired event. Its not like you get an isis flag with your membership dues.

And hey, you cant forth estate if you cant afford to... house... estate.

It might be the difference between "This guy is an actual ISIS operative in communication with other members of ISIS and this is part of a larger orchestrated whatever" or "This guy is a deluded terrorist fanboy who wants publicity/to reach ISIS in some way and is by himself"

Your second point is more irritatingly true :(

Man, today's been pretty crazy with the whole Hostage thing.

On another note, we've released the Android version of Radical Rappelling on the Google Play store in Australia!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.halfbrick.R5&hl=en

Wooooo! Thanks for supporting Android :)

Just saw Paddington.

It was pretty adorable and funny. good fun for all the 20-30 something white people in attendance.

Any scary shit in it? Like guns or killer robots? Son doesn't like the Postman Pat movie due to the killer robots.

Switched away from ABC24 to channel 9, where they were showing 9/11 stuff.

Yes that is a good idea most definitely to show this.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Wooooo! Thanks for supporting Android :)

Any scary shit in it? Like guns or killer robots? Son doesn't like the Postman Pat movie due to the killer robots.

yeh there was probably two moments I'd classify here,(but no violence really.. although theres lots of dart gun shooting) one near the start that sets up the story
there's an earth quake in the films opening setting,, the peruvian jungle where paddington lives, and one of his relatives doesn't make it out alive (you don't see anything,but its clear, and all the characters get sad)
and then towards the end during the films climax
paddington is climbing up a furnace chimney and almost falls to his doom.

those two bits were quite powerful.. a fair chunk of the audience gasped at the 2nd one, even knowing its a kids film...

Kritz

Banned
Just saw Paddington.

Yeah I saw it yesterday. It's an OK film. Don't think it's quite deserving of its 90%-something rotten rating, but it's still decent. I never really felt much towards the CGI, and the big baddie wasn't very interesting, and I think it wasn't as whimsy as it could have been. Some of the jokes were a little overexplained, and it felt like the father was the only character to have an arc, as the rest of the cast didn't get that much screentime.

But, on the positive side, it was stylish and when the humour worked it worked well. The opening of the film was wonderful, and overall the film seemed to be quite influenced by Wes Anderson's works in quite a few of the shots.

For my money, I'd say Ernest and Celestine is still the best children's movie this year. But Paddington is a solid 3/5, and I imagine it'll go down well with the 5-10 year old crowd.

Driveclub is actually pretty fun.

Damn right it is! (just need to get 100% in GTA5 before I get back to it)

yeh there was probably two moments I'd classify here,(but no violence really.. although theres lots of dart gun shooting) one near the start that sets up the story
there's an earth quake in the films opening setting,, the peruvian jungle where paddington lives, and one of his relatives doesn't make it out alive (you don't see anything,but its clear, and all the characters get sad)
and then towards the end during the films climax
paddington is climbing up a furnace chimney and almost falls to his doom.

those two bits were quite powerful.. a fair chunk of the audience gasped at the 2nd one, even knowing its a kids film...

Awesome, thanks for the heads up mate. Those 2 spoilers will be fine for him, it's more the dart gun stuff but it seems pretty low key. Another movie to add to the list along with Penguins of Madagascar this month! Another cinema trip should be funner than the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom