• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

I helped run a sausage sizzle a few months back for a charity fundraiser. It turned out to be quite the operation. There's actually a lot of paperwork that needs to be done beforehand - you need to prove to the place you're holding it at that you're representing a real fundraising initiative and not just running a business. There's a big waiting list you have to get in at the local Bunnings/ Officeworks / Harvey Norman / whatever! And then there's making sure there's enough meat / bread / sauce / onions / etc. Funnily enough it's easy to get the local businesses to provide them very cheap or for free if you put up a sign or whatever advertising them.

But man. The logistics of running the barbecue. How many sausages should you be cooking at 9am is very different compared to 11am, and nobody likes waiting, and there's never quite enough onion and sauce bottles go missing (WHO TAKES SAUCE BOTTLES?!) and then different cooks make things differently like seriously who has onion on their bacon and egg rolls? Crazy. And you usually give up tracking sales by about the second hour because it gets too crazy. And the small talk you have to make with the customers, Jesus, and then your friends who offered to help never show up or show up all at once and that's just as useless because their kids are just running around bored and JACOB STAY OUT OF THE BREAD BIN, THAT'S NOT FOR YOU, OH GOD GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THERE

And then at the end of the day you spend an hour with no customers so you start to pack up and then people turn up again and get mad because you started packing up early (IT'S FOUR IN THE AFTERNOON WHAT ARE YOU DOING)

...wow, I didn't realise I was as stressed out about all that as I was.

LOL, it's fucking trending on Twitter:
S6H73KH.png
I don't know that he's going to win that argument with "sausage in bread" lol.

Don't people ever use two slices of bread in their sausage sandwich though? Obviously one is far more common, but sometimes here in NSW we also like to luxuriate in two slices and wonder what the poor people are doing...

Shaneus

Let it all out, Gaz. That's it.

You don't need a definition for common sense. If I feel like a Vegemite sandwich, but I would prefer a small one, I make it with one slice of bread and fold it over. The act of folding creates two pieces of bread out of one slice. The dictionary doesn't need to specify that, because it is self evident.
Eh, common sense to me is defining a sandwich as having two slices of bread as it bypasses the need for specifics when defining what is and isn't a sandwich.

Majority of Australia: >1 slice of bread? Sandwich
Backwards NSW weirdos: >1 slice of bread = sandwich, except when single slice is also folded, in which case it is also a sandwich. Thus, when asking for any kind of sandwich in NSW, one must designate whether it is a "single" (single-slice sandwich) or "regular" (two or more slices).

I'm heading off to lunch now, I think I'm going to have myself a couple of Mexican sandwiches.

Yes, I'm just being silly at this point and having way too much fun with it. Don't mean to cause deliberate offense.

But looking at it from our perspective, you can see it's still really weird, yes? ;)

Don't people ever use two slices of bread in their sausage sandwich though? Obviously one is far more common, but sometimes here in NSW we also like to luxuriate in two slices and wonder what the poor people are doing...
Maybe, but that survey specifically asked about a single slice of bread. I like that idea though, and am definitely tempted.

While we're at it, the thing in a "sausage and egg mcmuffin" sure as shit isn't a sausage.

2 bits of bread would overpower the sausage and be a really odd size. 2 bits of bread with a hamburger would be fine due to the shape though.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
With my knowledge of Australian Vernacular English, I'm surprised it's not called a Sausie Breadie or something.

Sausage sizzle = the name of the event at which sausages are served
Sanga / sausage in bread / baby in a blanket = the name of the sausage wrapped in a single slice of bread

2 bits of bread would overpower the sausage and be a really odd size. 2 bits of bread with a hamburger would be fine due to the shape though.
And thus the double banger sanger was born! Come with us, people of other states, and we will take you on a culinary journey to places undreamed of. Don't deny the sandwich nature of your sausage sandwich my fellow Australians, embrace it!

Shaneus

Also, crossing the bacon...amateur hour, bacon needs to be spread evenly so every bite is covered.
Yeah, there's a whole bunch of unevenness of flavours there. Of course, you're completely fucked if you pull away without completing the bite, dragging the whole frigging rasher with you. No surprise the cross is from an American clip. Fuckers be clueless about burgers.

And thus the double banger sanger was born! Come with us, people of other states, and we will take you on a culinary journey to places undreamed of. Don't deny the sandwich nature of your sausage sandwich my fellow Australians, embrace it!

No way, that would be way too irritating to eat at once! Also how can you drive while eating that? That's un-Australian!

Fogz

A sandwich is more than one layer of bread. Folding over bread turns it into a sandwich. No one folds fairy bread because you would kill all the fairies. No one eats a sausage sandwich like fairy bread because your sausage will fall out.

Its almost as if the act of folding the bread sandwiches the sausage between the 2 halves

MTE

If the sausage is whole, it's a sausage in bread. If it's sliced in to at least 2 parts, it's a sausage sandwich.

Fact.

A sausage sandwich necessitates two pieces of bread ALTHOUGH, in a pinch you can create a demi-sandwich by folding your bread on an axis perpendicular to the crust and including the pieces of sausage within.

dity

CUIR3qdUYAA0opv.png

"Sausage in bread" what the actual fuck Australia.

There's no way.

A sausage sandwich necessitates two pieces of bread ALTHOUGH, in a pinch you can create a demi-sandwich by folding your bread on an axis perpendicular to the crust and including the pieces of sausage within.

Isn't this like, how it's been done forever? Like this is my whole life with sausages and bread. You fold that shit.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'd laugh at this more if Scottish people didn't have stupid food things as well.

Go to a takeaway (fish & chips, etc) in Glasgow and around the west coast = salt and vinegar is the default choice.
In Edinburgh and the south east = salt and (brown) sauce is the default choice.

I'm sure that this divide will cause the next Scottish Civil War.

MTE

Isn't this like, how it's been done forever? Like this is my whole life with sausages and bread. You fold that shit.

For a usual sausage in bread, the bread is folded diagonally. Otherwise is weird, unless you're making a sandwich (See above)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom