• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have scalloped potatoes every now and then when we have a roast. Usually with roast tomato and onion thingy with breadcrumbs maybe? I dunno, it's boss.

you'd get potato scallops (thin cut slices of potato, battered and fried) from any decent fish and chip shop in Qld.

here's the picture from the article, this is what you'd get with your minimum chips.
1447919120525.jpg

in primary school, it was the drinking trough rather than a fountain or a bubbler.

And what we now call bogans used to be known by us Banana-benders as bevins up until 1988 when Kylie Mole became popular and then it was bogan, bogan, bogan.
You could spot a bevin because their car would go BEEEEEVVVVVVV *change gear* BEEEEEEEVVVVVVVV *change gear* BEEEEEEVVVVVVV.

Fredescu

I mean the baked dish like this:
FNM_120110-Lighten-Up-001_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

As opposed to a potato scallop which gets it's name from said dish, but is a single deep fried piece of potato.

Come to think of it, I see scalloped potatoes pretty often in chicken shops.

dity

I mean the baked dish like this:
FNM_120110-Lighten-Up-001_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

As opposed to a potato scallop which gets it's name from said dish, but is a single deep fried piece of potato.

Come to think of it, I see scalloped potatoes pretty often in chicken shops.

That's what comes into my head when I hear "scallops". This right here.

Rezbit

I love scalloped potatoes, all dat cheese and creamy sauce. Potato has to be real soft though.

I also enjoy potato cakes with my minimum chips. From the corner shop.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
you'd get potato scallops (thin cut slices of potato, battered and fried) from any decent fish and chip shop in Qld.

here's the picture from the article, this is what you'd get with your minimum chips.
1447919120525.jpg

Those look like "potato fritters" to me. And now that I think of it, in Scotland I've only ever seen them on sale in Glasgow.

mQIALWd.jpg

Darren870

American way is best:

Hash Browns
Swim Suit
Water Fountain
Hot Dog
Bloody Nose
Cafeteria
Pants? No idea what dance pants are...
Deli
Popsicle or freeze pop
French kiss
Ha
Awesome (while clapping)

I actually had to look up and ask the missus what a lot of these even meant...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
American way is best:

Hash Browns
Swim Suit
Water Fountain
Hot Dog
Bloody Nose
Cafeteria
Pants? No idea what dance pants are...
Deli
Popsicle or freeze pop
French kiss
Ha
Awesome (while clapping)

I actually had to look up and ask the missus what a lot of these even meant...

Quit cramming your American culture on us! Next we'll all b listening t creed, nickleback an incubus!

Darren870

I love America but their hash browns are gross.

Yea, they are pretty nasty.

Quit cramming your American culture on us! Next we'll all b listening t creed, nickleback an incubus!

Embrace it...
With arms wide open.....

I go to the car park of Bunnings and get a sausage on a slice of bread but if you go to the parking lot of Home Depot you can get some nice Mexican.

Yea for about $10 an hour :p. Have to throw in lunch too though.

Quasar

Let's see...

• Scallops
  • Swimmers
  • Bubbler
  • Sausage Sandwich
  • Nosebleed
  • Tuck shop (lived in QLD as a child)
  • Dance -> pants
  • Corner store
  • Ice block
  • Kissing (I consider "making out" to be more intense and a "hook up" to be sex)
  • lol
  • Awesome

Aside from corner store (it would be corner shop) thats pretty much me. I'm from NSW.

Tuck shop is interesting, as thats what it was for me till high school, then it was known as canteen.

Gazunta

Got my 8GB Vita memory card today...

...mailed to me from the JB HiFi that is literally next door to the post office I collected it from.

It took 5 days to arrive. ><

Fredescu

No wonder you move a ball forwards by throwing it backwards. Because that makes sense.
Because the primary method of propulsion is meant to be a running human. The point of sport is to impose these sort of limitations. Otherwise it would be a race to see who could build the biggest meanest team of robots. Which sounds awesome actually. Where was I?

Aside from corner store (it would be corner shop) thats pretty much me. I'm from NSW.

Tuck shop is interesting, as thats what it was for me till high school, then it was known as canteen.

Pretty much the same as well apart from the corner store one. In the ACT there are no single corner stores, just a central hub of multiple "shops" in each suburb. Hence it was always just "going down the shops."

Shaneus

Looking for an opinion here: Anyone know (or think) the PSTV will get any discounts leading up to Christmas? I have a few options: Ordering from Amazon will get me a PSTV for $64AU (And that may drop), or I have a JB voucher (which I probably wouldn't spend on anything else anyway, sans PSN credit maybe) for $60, which would get me a PSTV for $40 (unless they might have a sale soon, but I doubt it).

What do?

industrian

This ever-growing linguistic debate reminds me of this one:

The Glaswegian word for going to the shops (to buy groceries) is "messages".

As in: "I'm going to get the messages."

In schools we use "tuck shops" for small stalls that sell sweets, chocolates, etc. The place we get meals is a "lunch hall" or "canteen".

Looking for an opinion here: Anyone know (or think) the PSTV will get any discounts leading up to Christmas? I have a few options: Ordering from Amazon will get me a PSTV for $64AU (And that may drop), or I have a JB voucher (which I probably wouldn't spend on anything else anyway, sans PSN credit maybe) for $60, which would get me a PSTV for $40 (unless they might have a sale soon, but I doubt it).

What do?
Personally, if I was looking at Amazon, I'd wait for Black Friday sales in the US next weekend.

dity

Holy fuck this weather. High of 39 where I live, the weather says it's now around 25 but it sure as fuck doesn't feel like it.

What do?

Considering how dead it is I'd wait until Boxing Day/Xmas to see if someone clears it out.

It's got 12 months left in it's lifespan, at most. Don't overpay!

Shaneus

Personally, if I was looking at Amazon, I'd wait for Black Friday sales in the US next weekend.
Ah, that's only next weekend (as in, 7ish days)? Will do!

Considering how dead it is I'd wait until Boxing Day/Xmas to see if someone clears it out.

It's got 12 months left in it's lifespan, at most. Don't overpay!
True. And I keep forgetting I'm in no actual rush for one, just as long as I get it with old firmware so I can do that unlock hack thing on it. I think it dropped to $20US not long ago, so maybe it'll hit that again.

industrian

I love this. I assume it comes from a time when someone would get their mail as part of their shopping.

My family is from Glasgow, but moved to the south east of the country when I was 4. My dad still used (and probably still uses) "messages" and growing up I just assumed he was going to the post office but picked up some bread and other stuff on the way.

When I was 17 I moved back to Glasgow to study. One of my new mates says "I need to get the messages at lunch." It actually had me legit shook for a while, before I laughed and said "I thought that was just something my dad said."

dity

JB HiFi's website said they had the Xbox One Wireless Controller Adapter for Windows (omg that name) for pickup so I went in store and they were like "Oh no, only our city stores have them."

I fought through that heat for nothin'. Dude at the games counter didn't even know it was a thing so I had to give him the SKU from the web store.

I love this. I assume it comes from a time when someone would get their mail as part of their shopping.

When I was a Kid, my Grandmother once said that and I was completely confused! She was from just outside of Glasgow, Airdrie and Kirkintilloch. Yet I've never heard my mothers side of the family say it and they are from Edinburgh, a whole 50 miles away or so.

SydGaf- I have a lightning day trip to Sydney next week and want to know what I have to do to get from the domestic terminal at the airport to get to the CBD via the trail- In detail please since I rarely used public transport. (how I pay for tickets, etc)

dity

SydGaf- I have a lightning day trip to Sydney next week and want to know what I have to do to get from the domestic terminal at the airport to get to the CBD via the trail- In detail please since I rarely used public transport. (how I pay for tickets, etc)

IIRC there's a train station at the airport. You should still be able to buy a paper ticket from a machine - they accept both cash and credit/debit card. However, you can always opt to buy an Opal card from the train station. You can load it up with cash at the train station and then press it onto Opal terminals at train stations and on buses and trams - you just press it on the Opal machine at the train station you get on, and again after you get off. You can either recharge it online (you'd need to set up an account on Opal's website) or at train stations and places like 7-11.

Here's a website for Airport Link which will give you the schedule for the trains running from the domestic terminal into Sydney. They even have a video for getting to the domestic terminal train station and a video on using the Opal cards.

Hope that is somewhat useful.

Jintor

There's literally a train line from Domestic to the CBD (Central, Town Hall, Wynyard roughly). Just go to the ticket machine, hit the button for the station, pay the cash (or go to the ticket window, domestic is usually open i think).

In fact, I'm fairly certain the Domestic Airport's station name is just Domestic Terminal or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom