• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
We're very disappointed in you omi.
Buuuut you did finally accept my friend request so I can't be too mad at you.

even though it took like a week and a half or something >:|

r1chard

Bah looks like netflix pushed through that vpn ban, just got a message saying that it looks like I'm using a vpn

getflix has still been very solid for US, CA and MX access, which covers almost all of the content worth watching. Attempting european countries results in the NETFLIX BLOCK, yes.

Jintor

Bah looks like netflix pushed through that vpn ban, just got a message saying that it looks like I'm using a vpn

australian internet piracy received an inexplicable upsurge in january 2016 for reasons that has experts baffled. "I just don't get it" said one media content spokesman, "it's utterly bizarre that water flows downhill"

MoonGred

Using unblock us. Gf sent me a picture of the error message which actually mentions the use of vpn or proxy and requests to turn it off if we want to access netflix again. She turned the ps4 off, and turned it on again 15min later and now it works again.

Edit: apparently it broke again

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Unblock us is having issues however it almost seems like the Netflix error message is more a warning. You can hit continue and try as many times as you want to watch the content and it will go through. So don't believe the error message, just keep playing the content.

There's no way they are going to ban a single dns IP as that wouldwould screw over legit customers.

Mr. Tone

Does anyone have an opinion on the Hottest 100 Beers?
I'm real happy to see Pirate Life doing well. Drank quite a lot of that in the last year.

As for the future for Pirate Life, there are more collaborations planned, including a continuation of their partnership with the Hilltop Hoods. The beer they brewed with them will be coming out in cans in time for the group's forthcoming tour. They're also set to release the first beer in what will be an ongoing series with Tomfoolery Wines: a black lager aged in Tempranillo barrels. Number two will be a saison that has spent time in Grenache barrels.

There will also be the launch of their fourth core beer, an IPA, while they plan to can their stout for winter and are working on an imperial red ale too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
4 Pines anything up way too high and 3 Ravens robbed again.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Hottest 100 Beers?
4 Pines anything up way too high and 3 Ravens robbed again.
Good to see much more exposure to the whole thing this year (advertising to Dan Murphy's club members, etc), despite the result being more Lion stuff.

The large majority being pale ales and other similar beers isn't surprising given that easy drinking pale ales and IPAs are still the largest portion of the craft market. What I found interesting is that in 2015 there were tons of breweries putting out a sour or two, but only one sour (which has been around forever) ended up in the top 100. So sour is still a niche of a niche and probably won't move much past that.

Personally here was my top five:
Boatrocker - Brambic (probably the best Australian-made sour I've had, took guts to release a still beer)
HopDog - Alluvial Peach
Boatrocker - Gaston
Modus Operandi - Former Tenant (the only one I voted for that made the top 100)
3 Ravens - The Druid

As for 3 Ravens, I don't think they've done much of note in the past couple of years (given that Mash Brewing bought 3 Ravens when they were in financial trouble, that's not surprising). If they let Brendan off the leash a little then they have a real shot at putting out some great stuff - the 4 Berliner Weisses they released under the Mash label were a good start.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Reptile - You need to make sure the phone is rooted first, if not, try this

http://xiaomiadvices.com/how-to-root-redmi-note-2-on-miui-7/

You need the drivers for windows, it sounds like you already have ADB/Fastboot but grab it again incase along with TWRP (prob a newer version than what's listed there).

Root device, install recovery (TWRP), copy rom to phone via windows or ADB if it doesn't show up in windows. Reboot into recovery, erase phone, flash rom. Tada. done.

Reptile - You need to make sure the phone is rooted first, if not, try this

http://xiaomiadvices.com/how-to-root-redmi-note-2-on-miui-7/

You need the drivers for windows, it sounds like you already have ADB/Fastboot but grab it again incase along with TWRP (prob a newer version than what's listed there).

Root device, install recovery (TWRP), copy rom to phone via windows or ADB if it doesn't show up in windows. Reboot into recovery, erase phone, flash rom. Tada. done.

Oh wow thanks for that link, nice clear instructions with some helpful people in the comments. I'll follow your process rather than the one listed on the ROM I'm looking at here as that looks much clearer.

I owe you one cookie!

I have nfi how I rooted my HP Touchpad back in the day to Cyanogen lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i've asked for a payrise at work, a rather large one compared to what I'm currently on. I said ideally it would be an extra $15k more, I'm pretty sure i'm on less than what the guys in service are on which is where I moved up from.

Aside from the impossible, They have also asked if I would be interested in studying something that takes my interest. It could be IT or whatever that would benefit me and my role at work.

I'm kinda leaning towards a management course. At this point, It almost feels like I am managing a bunch of on site engineers in Melbourne and in NSW, Even though that's not technically my role. The biggest issue is that I do so much random stuff at work, take on so many different roles, I don't really fit into one specific role.

So I could do an IT related course or Management, I'm actually leaning towards Management more so than technical skills. I've never gotten much out of technical training and I much prefer to do things hands on when it comes to that.

So.. Has anyone done any Management based courses at uni/tafe/whatever? Did you enjoy it? If you go to a school do you know if they have a good course for that subject?

Halp.

Stay classy, Rugby League.

Mundine's additional commentary cracks me up, he was just drunk give him a free pass. Oh and stop drinking everyone, be like me.

Also who the fuck joke-roots a dog even why they're drunk? I'm all for a laugh and a drink but this guy was a desperado fuck up at best.

So i've asked for a payrise at work...

Halp.

If you're happy with your work and comfortable enough to talk pay rises then I'd suggest asking them the following:

1. What are my current roles and responsibilities e.g. get your employment contract outlined very clearly (it helps be clear about your performance, pay rises and career path etc). Discuss goals and rewards from there.

2. What skills do they value the most and what available roles or additional responsibilities will be open on completion? What's the point of studying something that isn't going to deliver a direct result for you from your current position?

3. Find out who are the decision makers and what they think of you now as well as in the next 1-3 years at your work (gives you a solid idea of your perceived value now and your next role).

Stackboy

Didn't really dig the Hottest 100, but it's no surprise, JJJ isn't my radio station anymore.

Great couple of weeks for PC gaming! New Tomb Raider, Xcom 2, Dying Light re-release.

So i've asked for a payrise at work, a rather large one compared to what I'm currently on. I said ideally it would be an extra $15k more, I'm pretty sure i'm on less than what the guys in service are on which is where I moved up from.

Aside from the impossible, They have also asked if I would be interested in studying something that takes my interest. It could be IT or whatever that would benefit me and my role at work.

I'm kinda leaning towards a management course. At this point, It almost feels like I am managing a bunch of on site engineers in Melbourne and in NSW, Even though that's not technically my role. The biggest issue is that I do so much random stuff at work, take on so many different roles, I don't really fit into one specific role.

So I could do an IT related course or Management, I'm actually leaning towards Management more so than technical skills. I've never gotten much out of technical training and I much prefer to do things hands on when it comes to that.

So.. Has anyone done any Management based courses at uni/tafe/whatever? Did you enjoy it? If you go to a school do you know if they have a good course for that subject?

Halp.

Justify it as best you can, also be prepared to start job hunting I they say no, especially if you are getting paid significantly less then others doing similar work.

Pick a course from an institute with a good name, most of the time they aren't worth the paper they are written on, but do pad out a resume nicely.

Just saw Gameloft shut down their Auckland studio. I knew a few good guys who went over there. It's a terrible, terrible company, but in Aust/NZ, they were the biggest games industry employer- 160 or so in NZ and they still have 40 or so in Brisbane- that's still going- until it's not.

shameloft.

Halp.

I'm doing a diploma of management through OTI. It fucking sucks. Mainly because I have no time for it and I hate hate hate structured learning though. Definitely look into it because it's a LOT easier than the management units I couldn't be bothered doing at Uni.

Quasar

fucking exclusives. urgh.

Cheaper at least than getting foxtel for hbo.

Makes sense. Stan having a bunch of amazon and showtime shows is probably the only way to compete with netflix and its exclusive shows.

Still..as expected streaming is going to shake to to be about the same price as cable, just with multiple silos instead of just one. Which depending on your media diet is better or worse.

Quasar

getflix has still been very solid for US, CA and MX access, which covers almost all of the content worth watching. Attempting european countries results in the NETFLIX BLOCK, yes.

Well its causing me issues still. Despite my setup my netflix app now shows the aus catalogue and when I've tried to play a few things its says they arent available for my region (us). Weird.

Good to see much more exposure to the whole thing this year (advertising to Dan Murphy's club members, etc), despite the result being more Lion stuff.

The large majority being pale ales and other similar beers isn't surprising given that easy drinking pale ales and IPAs are still the largest portion of the craft market. What I found interesting is that in 2015 there were tons of breweries putting out a sour or two, but only one sour (which has been around forever) ended up in the top 100. So sour is still a niche of a niche and probably won't move much past that.

Personally here was my top five:
Boatrocker - Brambic (probably the best Australian-made sour I've had, took guts to release a still beer)
HopDog - Alluvial Peach
Boatrocker - Gaston
Modus Operandi - Former Tenant (the only one I voted for that made the top 100)
3 Ravens - The Druid

As for 3 Ravens, I don't think they've done much of note in the past couple of years (given that Mash Brewing bought 3 Ravens when they were in financial trouble, that's not surprising). If they let Brendan off the leash a little then they have a real shot at putting out some great stuff - the 4 Berliner Weisses they released under the Mash label were a good start.

I visited HopDog driving through Nowra. Tiny place, cool guys.

Aus beer if the year for me is probably Prancing Pony India Red.

You went to Japan last year right Cod? Any beer recommendations? I'll be there in a couple of months (woo!)

fucking exclusives. urgh.

sorta agree, but we generally don't feel that way if we have the platform something is exclusive on. "TR on X1? Outrageous! SFV on PS4, sure, why not?"

I gave up on Stan a while back since I generally prefer to own discs or downloads to streaming, but kept netflix for their originals- even then I've only watched Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Kimmy Schmidt, Wet Hot American Summer and Master of None, but that's enough for me. Stan had Community and the Sherlock special.

I don't think anyone thinks Fairfax has the cash to support Stan indefinitely so i'd expect Foxtel to grab Stan and merge it with Presto by the end of the year. Netflix hasn't gone acquiring competitors yet.

On a side note, can anyone tell me what Netflix UK's catalogue is like compared to Netflix Australia? I'm a few weeks from being somewhere I can sit down and watch it but I should cancel my sub in the meantime.

Spinifex

sorta agree, but we generally don't feel that way if we have the platform something is exclusive on. "TR on X1? Outrageous! SFV on PS4, sure, why not?"

I gave up on Stan a while back since I generally prefer to own discs or downloads to streaming, but kept netflix for their originals- even then I've only watched Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Kimmy Schmidt, Wet Hot American Summer and Master of None, but that's enough for me. Stan had Community and the Sherlock special.

I don't think anyone thinks Fairfax has the cash to support Stan indefinitely so i'd expect Foxtel to grab Stan and merge it with Presto by the end of the year. Netflix hasn't gone acquiring competitors yet.

On a side note, can anyone tell me what Netflix UK's catalogue is like compared to Netflix Australia? I'm a few weeks from being somewhere I can sit down and watch it but I should cancel my sub in the meantime.

SFV is also on PC :D

MTE

So I go to The Astor to get my Terminator and Robocop on, and it's fucking cancelled.
Transferred my tickets to The Hateful Eight (what replaced it) but it has totally soured my mood.
Robocop is my favourite film >_<
I heard nothing about this; Does this happen often?

Quasar

I think my disinterest in Netflix originals and their focus on that over other stuff is why I've been on the edge of cancelling for so long. Basically the main reason for me to stick around is that I want to see Defenders. As it is I'll need to switch to an local account (as with the price increase it works out more for a us account given the dollar) anyway in may so maybe thats reason enough to pull the pin.

I hope not.

legend166

Speaking of Netflix I'm halfway through the third episode of Making A Murderer. Don't know why I didn't watch it at the start since I loved Serial.

So I go to The Astor to get my Terminator and Robocop on, and it's fucking cancelled.
Transferred my tickets to The Hateful Eight (what replaced it) but it has totally soured my mood.
Robocop is my favourite film >_<
I heard nothing about this; Does this happen often?

love me some Hateful 8. Have the theme tune running in my head right now

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Well...Stan signs an exclusive Showtime and I guess CBS deal.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/01/stan-signs-exclusive-showtime-deal.html

With the 'all the star treks' bit I wonder if that includes the new streaming only one CBS is using to push their streaming service.

Certainly makes Stan more attractive.

Just a reminder that I've still got that three months Stan voucher if anyone wants it. It's for new Stan users only though. If no-one wants it I'm just going to post the full code on GAF and hopefully someone bites before it expires on Sunday.

Just got a rejection call from a job I really wanted today. I asked for feedback from the interview and they basically said everything I did was perfect - I knew what I was talking about, presented well, was a good cultural fit and got along with the guy who would have been my boss... but they decided to go with someone who had "greater depth of leadership experience" (i.e. 15-20 yrs vs my 8).

I went home and ate a whole packet of peanut M&Ms. I've been scrounging around, doing small contracts for months but I really need a steady job. I really thought this was it.

Haven't felt like this since the last time I got dumped :(

Just got a rejection call from a job I really wanted today. I asked for feedback from the interview and they basically said everything I did was perfect - I knew what I was talking about, presented well, was a good cultural fit and got along with the guy who would have been my boss... but they decided to go with someone who had "greater depth of leadership experience" (i.e. 15-20 yrs vs my 8).

I went home and ate a whole packet of peanut M&Ms. I've been scrounging around, doing small contracts for months but I really need a steady job. I really thought this was it.

Don't give up. I was in your position for nearly five and a half years since my last full-time gig. I worked the whole time, just didn't earn anywhere near enough money to cover more than very basic expenses. I finally start a new job on Monday but during that last interview, that gap came up a few times. So the advice is to keep really busy when you're not applying for jobs. Maybe some volunteer work if that's your bag. Sitting at home and bringing M&Ms to the brink of extinction only works for so long. Chin up.

tl;dr Don't give up.

Deeku

Speaking of Netflix I'm halfway through the third episode of Making A Murderer. Don't know why I didn't watch it at the start since I loved Serial.
I watched all of it last weekend. Then spent the following Monday reading a whole bunch of crap from the subreddit at work lol. Was a fun watch for what is some pretty distressing stuff.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Do you have anything stopping you leaving the country for work (kids, mortgage, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom