• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinest

I think QLD drivers are pretty bad overall. Victorians like to do some crazy lane changes too. But since I went to Melbourne a few years back I've been noticing it more and more here in NSW so not sure if its just a VIC thing.

During the country music festival there where lots of horrid drivers around. Also people on push bikes who randomly cut in front of me on a 80 zone.

13 years of Apple chargers recalled over electric shock risk... well played Apple!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-...rger-recall-amid-electric-shock-fears/7123946

Microsoft recalled Surface plugs as well.

I think QLD drivers are pretty bad overall. Victorians like to do some crazy lane changes too. But since I went to Melbourne a few years back I've been noticing it more and more here in NSW so not sure if its just a VIC thing.

During the country music festival there where lots of horrid drivers around. Also people on push bikes who randomly cut in front of me on a 80 zone.

Microsoft recalled Surface plugs as well.

I wish Asus would recall theirs. Every couple of months mine stops working as a thermistor/relay or something heat trips out and I have to put it in the freezer for an hour to wake it up and reset it.

My one real takeaway from living in Australia was that the separation of supermarkets and alcohol sales is a good idea.
Next you'll suggest we should have a Vinmonopolet!

You want bad drivers go to Cambodia. It's like playing chicken with cars.
The scariest places I've been (only ever as a pedestrian or passenger) are (in no particular order): China, Egypt, Vietnam. Maybe Italy.

Australians though seem to expect people to adhere to the rules while not doing the same themselves, and often drive quite aggressively. Drivers in countries with less adherence to rules seem to have to pay more attention, so even though it's more "dangerous" fewer little fender benders happen.

Dead Man

The scariest places I've been (only ever as a pedestrian or passenger) are (in no particular order): China, Egypt, Vietnam. Maybe Italy.

Australians though seem to expect people to adhere to the rules while not doing the same themselves, and often drive quite aggressively. Drivers in countries with less adherence to rules seem to have to pay more attention, so even though it's more "dangerous" fewer little fender benders happen.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

My 9 year old has gone full Aussie, just heard him singing along to Highway to Hell and now he's listening to a Lenka song. If he grows a mullet it will destroy his mother. What do I do Ausgaf? What do I do????

*Fakeedit* He's now put Florence and the Machine on, it may not be too late, a small part of pommie remains.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yeh I was big on that song for a while.
Catchy number.

If it helps you, she was always bigger in Europe than Aus, by a lot.

:)

Kritz

Banned
jA0yc4P.gif

game jams are weird

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've got to say, for a cheap airline Scoot are great. I'm using their ScootBiz to get from Sydney to Taipei and right now I'm in their Lounge in Singapore. It's good stuff.

For Scotland that wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm pretty sure the UK Government wouldn't let us nationalise the alcohol supply though. That and the ethical questions of the government essentially enabling alcoholism.

Second season of Serial is boooooooooooooooooooooooooring.
Even the 'teaser reveal' of the first episode couldn't get me to listen to second one. It seems like a story where the options are that he either did something bad which then turned out worse or set out to do something worse from the get go (I'm trying to be vague just in case some people haven't started it yet). The potential stakes aren't as high as the first season either; it's not like someone's could be in jail for something they didn't do. We know the guy in the second season is definitely guilty of something serious.

If it turns out that is gets more compelling as the season goes on I might go back, but at this point I can't see any compelling reason to.

Bernbaum

There's no real mystery to it. I don't know what kind of story Koenig is trying to tell.

With Serial season 1,
right from the start we get a fleshed-out synopsis of the circumstances around the murder, as well as Koenig's current sentiments on Adnan's guilt. It is also much more subjective in its presentation of key people associated with the case and Koenig airs her opinions throughout the entire show as certain interviews or pieces of evidence come to light.
With MaM,
it's much different because the story is played out chronologically and the audience doesn't get key pieces of information until much later in the show. It is also produced in a way that the naive viewer isn't aware of Steven or Brendan's fate until the last few episodes. With Serial, we know right from the get-go that Adnan is in jail.

Fusebox

Banned
SMH headline "Bowie rests in Aussie playground"

Actual article: "The Australian tourist playground of Bali is the final resting place for music superstar David Bowie.."

They don't usually do this kind of crap too often. If they keep it up I'll cancel my sub. Are there any good Aussie newspapers left apart from the zzzzzz Fin Review?

trinest

If you mean the Tamworth one, it's full of bad drivers year round.

Utes at a roundabout are deathly.

Utes are deadly regardless. Number one rule, do not park next to a ute.

Yes but its 100 fold during country music.

Actual article: "The Australian tourist playground of Bali is the final resting place for music superstar David Bowie.."

They don't usually do this kind of crap too often. If they keep it up I'll cancel my sub. Are there any good Aussie newspapers left apart from the zzzzzz Fin Review?

Australian media is dead.

What is this newspaper thing you speak of?

What is this newspaper thing you speak of?

its that sheet of paper you put on the bottom of a cat's litter tray. You then either put a plastic litter liner on top or just pour the cat litter on top of the newspaper. Apparently the text on the newspaper is there to tell the cat to stop pushing the litter around and start running.

True, but this affects most Australian chargers for Apple products sold in the last 12 years! The numbers must be pretty damn high.
The funny thing is my brother bought a charger three or four days ago. I saw the box on his kitchen table yeterday and asked him to show the charger to me. Four numbers. I told him about the recall and he was like "ohh for fuck's sake!"

How is the recall being handled? Is it just take it in to an Apple shop and swap it over? Well, I mean, book an appointment with a genius, miss your appointment because something actually important comes up at last minute and then have to organise another appointment to swap it out.

The funny thing is my brother bought a charger three or four days ago. I saw the box on his kitchen table yeterday and asked him to show the charger to me. Four numbers. I told him about the recall and he was like "ohh for fuck's sake!"

How is the recall being handled? Is it just take it in to an Apple shop and swap it over? Well, I mean, book an appointment with a genius, miss your appointment because something actually important comes up at last minute and then have to organise another appointment to swap it out.

you'd register and they'll send it out eventually.

I thought SMH was better than that :/

I'm sure the Balinese feel awesome about that label.

Shaneus

Crikey? But that's not a papery paper. Can't help you out there, unless you want me to post you copies of the Geelong Independent.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I'm imagining that the original writer had another (better) headline in mind but got shouted down by an editor or manager who wanted something more parochial and "about us".

Ordered 2 BDs from JB, cancelled it less than 5 minutes later because I realized I already owned one of the two films.

Ordered the one I didn't have along with another second film shortly after. Today the initial, cancelled order showed up in the post but not the second one.

Really hoping the second package is actually coming, because I don't need two copies of Full Metal Jacket and I don't want to own a copy of Children of Men that has a busted case (I can hear the disc rattling around in the packaging).

Mr. Tone

Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure something will work out. I've actually already got a lead on a new job just down the road from where I'm finishing up. Fingers crossed.

Ordered 2 BDs from JB, cancelled it less than 5 minutes later because I realized I already owned one of the two films.

Ordered the one I didn't have along with another second film shortly after. Today the initial, cancelled order showed up in the post but not the second one.

Really hoping the second package is actually coming, because I don't need two copies of Full Metal Jacket and I don't want to own a copy of Children of Men that has a busted case (I can hear the disc rattling around in the packaging).

I've had mixed luck with getting BDs delivered from JB. Multiple items on different occasions arrived with damaged cases, which never seems to happen with anyone else.

Mr. Tone

That sucks, redundancy pay out? I bet your work ethic will take a dive for the rest of the month.

Yeah, I'll find out the details tomorrow. The rest of the month will be spent transitioning all our work to the Sydney site, which uses completely different systems to the Adelaide site. I almost feel sorry for the people who'll have to sort that mess out.

Yeah, I'll find out the details tomorrow. The rest of the month will be spent transitioning all our work to the Sydney site, which uses completely different systems to the Adelaide site. I almost feel sorry for the people who'll have to sort that mess out.
What type of work were/are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom