• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't give up. I was in your position for nearly five and a half years since my last full-time gig. I worked the whole time, just didn't earn anywhere near enough money to cover more than very basic expenses. I finally start a new job on Monday but during that last interview, that gap came up a few times. So the advice is to keep really busy when you're not applying for jobs. Maybe some volunteer work if that's your bag. Sitting at home and bringing M&Ms to the brink of extinction only works for so long. Chin up.

tl;dr Don't give up.
Thanks. I feel a lot better now. I guess I just wanted to vent.
Do you have anything stopping you leaving the country for work (kids, mortgage, etc)?
I have both, but we've talked about going overseas. Trouble is that all the places Mrs Squirrel might like to live don't actually need much in the way of engineering, you know? So far, the entire Middle East is out and so is Africa and much of Asia.

Kritz

Banned
ey, Hobart GAF:

12654383_568583149964456_8725357652471090366_n.jpg

want to come play some weird games?

Stackboy

Just got a rejection call from a job I really wanted today. I asked for feedback from the interview and they basically said everything I did was perfect - I knew what I was talking about, presented well, was a good cultural fit and got along with the guy who would have been my boss... but they decided to go with someone who had "greater depth of leadership experience" (i.e. 15-20 yrs vs my 8).

I went home and ate a whole packet of peanut M&Ms. I've been scrounging around, doing small contracts for months but I really need a steady job. I really thought this was it.

Haven't felt like this since the last time I got dumped :(

That really sucks man, hope it gets better for you really soon.

Yep! Tried 60 or 80 in just under a 3-week period. Let me know where you're going and I'll try to point out my favourite places.

Impressive attach rate!

I'll be staying in Tokyo for a few days, Kyoto, Osaka, couple of days in Sendai but I doubt there'd be anything of note there.

IS there actually a storm yet? Everyone is banging on about it, but there's nothing actually showing up on BOM in Brisbane yet so...

I'm kind of looking forward to it, even though I shouldn't with the potential damage it could do. We haven't had a cool storm in a couple of years now.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
IS there actually a storm yet? Everyone is banging on about it, but there's nothing actually showing up on BOM in Brisbane yet so...

Here in Roselands it was hammering down. I did a full sprint from the shopping centre back home to avoid random death from the sky.

My only fear really is thunder and lightning.

jambo

The liquor stuff sound interesting but I live too far away atm to really benefit from these shops

He said RadGAF, not ValleyGAF.

There's one opening up about a 2 minute drive from us, so we'll probably be making it our main supermarket from now on.

The baby stuff seems crazy good for the prices.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Mates, the NBN has finally become available in my area. Does anyone with the NBN connected to their place actually get speeds over 25/50 Mbps? I've only heard mixed things about NBN speeds?

senahorse

Mates, the NBN has finally become available in my area. Does anyone with the NBN connected to their place actually get speeds over 25/50 Mbps? I've only heard mixed things about NBN speeds?

If you are on a 100Mb plan and are not getting around 94Mbps there is something wrong with the connection. While not perfectly 1:1 the contention ratio should mean you pretty much always get line rate (depending on the remote service of course). This is fibre though, if you are connected with FTTN you will definitely get mixed results.

He said RadGAF, not ValleyGAF.

There's one opening up about a 2 minute drive from us, so we'll probably be making it our main supermarket from now on.

The baby stuff seems crazy good for the prices.

Aldi is awesome. Buy almost everything there, fresh food stuff is sometimes cheaper elsewhere but the quality at our one is always fantastic.

Yeah we use the Aldi baby milk powder, used NAN for the first kid but we have had zero issues with the Aldi one so far. Sounds completely random though, just use whatever works.

Aldi nappies are great, used them for both kids when not in cloth ones.

The Aldi sachet mix for Chili Con Carne is better than any other homemade mix I've ever had. Love it so much :)

Shaneus

Yeah I get pretty damn high speeds on the 100/40.
I've succumbed to the fact that I won't be getting that speed much longer/anymore. It's not worth fussing about a cable installation for a place we'll only be living in for another year or so (hopefully).

14Mbps is actually quite tolerable. As is Telstra.

industrian

got shortlisted for a position, interview is in sydney feb 1-2, fml

apparently they didn't read my cover letter lol

That's the good shit about job applications. 50% of them will just dismiss you outright because you didn't use whatever writing formula is currently fashionable for HR people. The other 50% won't read what you wrote and just try to take it to the next step (and usually dismiss you outright).

That and you put in more effort in the application process than you actually do when you start working at the job.

jambo

That's weird, I've never really heard of people getting mixed speeds on NBN. Not saying it doesn't happen, just hasn't come up in my own use or with others when discussing.

We've used 25/10, 50/20 and 100/40 with Internode, and all of them have been super close to max speed.

Am kind of amused. 4 years after Apple stopped giving my mac security patches they recall its power charger.

I had an ipod nano from around 2006 and years later there was a recall and they swapped it for a brand new one. can't complain about them dealing with a problem.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
I've been an Aldi evangelist for many years. Best description of their stuff is "reasonable quality for a reasonable price".

Watch the seven day specials (usually a couple of lines of cold/deli products) and the bi-weekly special buys. Keep in mind the special buys tend to cycle back every six to twelve months, and super popular specials have similar products listed a few weeks later.

Avoid their Asian sauces. 99% salt.

Baby wipes and nappies are good, just assume your child is in the bracket up for size where possible.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Also avoid their flavoured milks. Powdered milk drinks basically. Can still taste the powder on occasion.

But yeah,

I love a good Aldi shop. Aldi for pantry goods, costco for frozen and Coles for fresh produce + a few choice items is my way.

Two girls at work got into a car accident on their lunchbreak today. Theyre fine thank goodness but since we were staff down we had a lot of insanity at work, thank god for patient customers.

Two girls at work got into a car accident on their lunchbreak today. Theyre fine thank goodness but since we were staff down we had a lot of insanity at work, thank god for patient customers.

This month has been fucking awful for driving. My wife and I both had our vehicles hit in hit & runs, my 2 office staff both had their cars hit and we had THREE accidents at work. One of which was at a red light o_O

industrian

I'm generalising here, but from my experience here Australian drivers are terrible in general. Every third car you see on the street has dents or other impact marks, and there always seems to be fresh debris at busy intersections.

Sure thing, I think the closest one is 200+km away!

Isn't that considered a short drive for most Australian folks?

There's been ongoing drizzle in Adelaide.
Speaking of RadGAF, Aldi opens up in a few days! Is everyone excited about joining the 21st century? This liquor licensing stuff is the most interesting part to me.
Drizzle? I'm assuming since you haven't posted since your post at 1409 you must've been caught in the deluge that came in the hours after.

Also, we don't need alcohol sold in supermarkets. It's bad enough that Woolies and Coles have their alcohol shops tacked on to the side of their supermarkets. :/

I'll check out Aldi's but they're not anywhere near me. South and North seem to be the only places getting them from what I can tell. I'm out west so I'll probably check out the TTP one if I'm up there.

industrian

Also, we don't need alcohol sold in supermarkets. It's bad enough that Woolies and Coles have their alcohol shops tacked on to the side of their supermarkets. :/

My one real takeaway from living in Australia was that the separation of supermarkets and alcohol sales is a good idea. In Scotland our government has been promoting its prestige project - minimum alcohol pricing - for almost 7 years now - only to find out that it may breach EU laws. I think that we should try this Australian approach and ban supermarkets from selling alcohol - even if it means seeing Asda and Tesco just open their own BWS/Liquorland equivalents across the street. There's a psychological aspect of buying alcohol that I noticed in Australia. When alcohol is readily available in supermarkets then it just becomes another purchase or a potential impulse buy along with sausages and cereal. When you need to go into a dedicated store then in your mind you know what your purpose is there. If you understand what I mean.

Anyhow, speaking of alcohol, I'm not sure if this still works but here's a $50-off Naked Wines coupon code you guys can try.

Code: GIFT2015
Password: JNW15PJ3

My one real takeaway from living in Australia was that the separation of supermarkets and alcohol sales is a good idea. In Scotland our government has been promoting its prestige project - minimum alcohol pricing - for almost 7 years now - only to find out that it may breach EU laws. I think that we should try this Australian approach and ban supermarkets from selling alcohol - even if it means seeing Asda and Tesco just open their own BWS/Liquorland equivalents across the street. There's a psychological aspect of buying alcohol that I noticed in Australia. When alcohol is readily available in supermarkets then it just becomes another purchase or a potential impulse buy along with sausages and cereal. When you need to go into a dedicated store then in your mind you know what your purpose is there. If you understand what I mean.

Anyhow, speaking of alcohol, I'm not sure if this still works but here's a $50-off Naked Wines coupon code you guys can try.

Code: GIFT2015
Password: JNW15PJ3

That's just Queensland isn't it? We always used to laugh when we visited NSW as kids and saw beer sold in the supermarket.

I've never really rented much in Australia but is it as bad trying rent a place with a pet there as it is in the UK. I've found all of two pet friendly places and I just saw one- nice on the outside, inside it looks like the house from The Young Ones.

Posted from Tescos cafe

industrian

That's just Queensland isn't it? We always used to laugh when we visited NSW as kids and saw beer sold in the supermarket.

I've never really rented much in Australia but is it as bad trying rent a place with a pet there as it is in the UK. I've found all of two pet friendly places and I just saw one- nice on the outside, inside it looks like the house from The Young Ones.

Posted from Tescos cafe

Maybe. We lived in QLD from February-October 2015 and I remember being weirded out by going to an Aldi in Gosford that had an alcohol section inside it. That said, in Roselands there's a Liquorland that's tacked on to the side of the Coles. And in Punchbowl there's a BWS stitched onto the side of Woolies. I've no idea why they opened a liquor store in Punchbowl, but nevermind.

Queensland has the plan made really. I leave Australia tomorrow and in all my 31 years on this planet nowhere has spoken to me as much as South-east Queensland has. I'd live there forever if I could. But there's no "Australia: Love It And Stay" bumper sticker so fuck it, I'm outta here.

And anywhere has to be better than the rental market in Australia.

I'm generalising here, but from my experience here Australian drivers are terrible in general. Every third car you see on the street has dents or other impact marks, and there always seems to be fresh debris at busy intersections.

Isn't that considered a short drive for most Australian folks?

I haven't experienced any country other than NZ but yeah, drivers seem to be shit here. Just incredibly selfish and self absorbed, not understanding how fucking dangerous these machines are. Every time I get in the car here I will see someone almost cause an accident. It's insane.

I live in far, far country VIC so probably not considered a short drive heh. At least I live on the coast now rather than far far inland VIC, that was fucking horrid.

I haven't experienced any country other than NZ but yeah, drivers seem to be shit here. Just incredibly selfish and self absorbed, not understanding how fucking dangerous these machines are. Every time I get in the car here I will see someone almost cause an accident. It's insane.

I live in far, far country VIC so probably not considered a short drive heh. At least I live on the coast now rather than far far inland VIC, that was fucking horrid.

You want bad drivers go to Cambodia. It's like playing chicken with cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom