• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeku

I have such a huge backlog and no time to play games but dammit Dragon Quest Heroes is really tempting me at that price.
Game is pretty meh to be honest. I was hoping my love of DQ would overcome my zero interest in Dynasty Warriors but it really didn't. All the DQ monster dudes look real nice tho!

MoonGred

Has anyone been having issues with the unblock us auto pay system? All last 3 attempts have failed with a message saying it's because of an issue on their side, and now it's lapsed.
Maybe a good time to try out Getflix since the majority of you seem to swear by it.

T-0800

Has anyone been having issues with the unblock us auto pay system? All last 3 attempts have failed with a message saying it's because of an issue on their side, and now it's lapsed.
Maybe a good time to try out Getflix since the majority of you seem to swear by it.

I'm seeing a 2 week trial at the bottom of the page.

MoonGred

Is it worth swapping from the US kindle store to the AU one? I don't care about the free books you sometimes get from the US, just looking for more competitive pricing, our dollar being shit isn't doing the US store any favours. Would it be a hassle to swap back if our dollar were to miraculously pick up again?

r1chard

Finally finished downloading XCOM2 yesterday arvo so snuck in playtime last night* and played one mission and gee it's a good successor! Lost one squaddie on the first mission (well, second, I guess, but the first mission wasn't a real one). Felt like a challenge :)

* daughter insisted on us watching just one more Arrow episode**

** the clock may have ticked over 00:00 to allow the XCOM***

*** I'm old, I don't do this much these days ;-)

Xcom is so much harder than the original. I feel like a guy dies every mission and I'm trying so hard not to save scum. Hopefully things improve when I get better amour.

Xcom is so much harder than the original. I feel like a guy dies every mission and I'm trying so hard not to save scum. Hopefully things improve when I get better amour.

Give in, savescum.

It will make your life much more relaxing.

Even with savescumming to prevent bullshit, the game is hard and time consuming.

savescum now. ironman play is for when you understand the systems and/or can mod out the stuff you find annoying

No snake people

No sectoids

Just me vs stock advent troopers.

Seems fair.

Actually the mechs seem ok so far, since they don't teleport and mind control and use their wonder woman lassos to steal my soldiers out of cover.

Jintor

i still dunno how i feel about pod discovery mechanics. it's still managable but the fact remains that i fear fog of war a lot more than i do enemy troopers and it hampers my tactical positioning

i still dunno how i feel about pod discovery mechanics. it's still managable but the fact remains that i fear fog of war a lot more than i do enemy troopers and it hampers my tactical positioning

The fact that they added these timers to force aggressive play instead of removing the pod system which was the primary motivation to overwatch camp is indicative, in my opinion, that some lead designers at firaxis are smoking the good shit.

Jintor

I dunno though. I have bad memories of the original xcom and getting ganked by enemies that were already active from across the map before you even stepped off the skyranger. aside from processing power considerations, already active enemies in fog of war are a weird thing.

I kinda wish you could drop back into concealment actually after you wipe everyone in range or something.

I dunno though. I have bad memories of the original xcom and getting ganked by enemies that were already active from across the map before you even stepped off the skyranger. aside from processing power considerations, already active enemies in fog of war are a weird thing.

I kinda wish you could drop back into concealment actually after you wipe everyone in range or something.

Enemies in the original had like perfect vision and as soon as a character had been spotted once it could get psi attacked and shit. Was dreadful, but it was at least possible to catch enemies out of position. A more mechanically complete system would be able to incorporate stealth as a meaningful feature, rather than just a single binary state.

I also don't think processing the game state is the primary tax on PC hardware, the graphical stuff and physics and shit is unnnecessary fluff that grinds computers to a halt. Like let's not pretend there aren't turn based games where the AI is doing as much as this that ran on computers from the late 90's and early 00's.

LBD7Qli.jpg

I don't know why I even bother trying to buy stuff via gumtree.

Yrael

I don't know why I even bother trying to buy stuff via gumtree.

Yeah, Gumtree can be very hit-and-miss. As a seller, I once received a text message from a prospective buyer asking if he could come round to my place at something like 1am to pick up the console. I lol'd. (He actually did end up buying it...but not at that ungodly hour!)

Trying to watch Guardians of the Galaxy with family, and good god it's impossible. I'm explaining every last detail of what's happening for mum's sake, but she still doesn't get it - she said it lost her "when all the fighting started."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also cross-post from the mythical Pokemon distribution thread:

I have a Mew code (Australian) - if anyone has one spare, could I please exchange it for an Australian Hoopa code?

Gazunta

You know what else is hilarious? Doing some random Facebooking and finding out that I used to babysit one of Bernbaum's Facebook friends. Good grief I'm old.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm fairly certain i'm enjoying the new tomb raider but it feels so much like the previous game. Sometimes I believe i've played sections before, like a matrix glitch or something.

It's good, sometimes it looks nice and other times it looks like the previous game. My PC is starting to struggle with it though, Around 40fps in some of the open areas.

Not entirely sure why there's side quests and shit, it feels super odd. Like i'm on a mission to find some treasure and now i'm just chilling at a camp doing non sensical bullshit, makes no sense man!

Cerity

I'm fairly certain i'm enjoying the new tomb raider but it feels so much like the previous game. Sometimes I believe i've played sections before, like a matrix glitch or something.

It's good, sometimes it looks nice and other times it looks like the previous game. My PC is starting to struggle with it though, Around 40fps in some of the open areas.

Not entirely sure why there's side quests and shit, it feels super odd. Like i'm on a mission to find some treasure and now i'm just chilling at a camp doing non sensical bullshit, makes no sense man!

It really does feel like they took parts from all the popular games that they liked and threw it all together hoping it'd mesh and work well together.

I'm nearly finished on X1. It's very much TR2013-2. For the most part I'm enjoying it more but some things bug me. Especially the bugs. Running into quite a few poorly bounded platforming stuff towards the end and some camera bugs relating to the final gadget you get. Also had 2 hard crashes so far.

Art design is AMAZING. Legit amazing. The final hub area is incredible. I bet it looks a million times better on PC too. Get some minor texture pop in and weird shadow crosshatching on X1, framerate is generally solid but the cutscenes lag at weird times.

Gunplay seems better but enemies are basically the same as TR2013 with minimal effort required to clear them out, even when it goes all out action hero halfway through the game. Definitely felt a weird input lag/whatever when first playing but I've adapted to it okay quickly. Helps that you seem to unlock more and more aim assist along the way?

Writing/dialogue isn't great but not terrible like the first game. The big bad guy plot reminds me so much of ACreed though. So bad. Lara is much easier to accept as a player character compared to the dissonant as fuck TR2013.

The Witness is too good.

Also a great game to play with a partner, pass the controller style.

Ooooooooo good point actually. Once everything settles down at home I might grab it for the wife to play with me.

MoonGred

Is there any way to speed up the animation in xcom 2? I played a bit before, and in that short time the explosions kept bugging out, on two different maps I was stuck looking at an object for 20 seconds, hear an explosion and all of a sudden it would just change to the broken variant without actually seeing it explode,even grenades act the same way.

Unrelated: I realised I've never read dune,nor did I see the movie, from reading the blurb it sounds like game of thrones on an alien planet, would that be an apt comparison?
I did used to have a dune rts game which was amazing.

I'm nearly finished on X1. It's very much TR2013-2. For the most part I'm enjoying it more but some things bug me. Especially the bugs. Running into quite a few poorly bounded platforming stuff towards the end and some camera bugs relating to the final gadget you get. Also had 2 hard crashes so far.

Art design is AMAZING. Legit amazing. The final hub area is incredible. I bet it looks a million times better on PC too. Get some minor texture pop in and weird shadow crosshatching on X1, framerate is generally solid but the cutscenes lag at weird times.

Gunplay seems better but enemies are basically the same as TR2013 with minimal effort required to clear them out, even when it goes all out action hero halfway through the game. Definitely felt a weird input lag/whatever when first playing but I've adapted to it okay quickly. Helps that you seem to unlock more and more aim assist along the way?

Writing/dialogue isn't great but not terrible like the first game. The big bad guy plot reminds me so much of ACreed though. So bad. Lara is much easier to accept as a player character compared to the dissonant as fuck TR2013.

Ooooooooo good point actually. Once everything settles down at home I might grab it for the wife to play with me.

I finished it a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it overall. The open world stuff wasn't too intrusive and I think the main storyline got to act 3 very quickly and tried to stay there for 80% of the game. Some of the VO performances seemed off in places.

Still, it's a good game wherever you play it and recommended.

I finished it a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it overall. The open world stuff wasn't too intrusive and I think the main storyline got to act 3 very quickly and tried to stay there for 80% of the game. Some of the VO performances seemed off in places.

Still, it's a good game wherever you play it and recommended.

The ingame store thing was weird, did they plan on having buyable currency at one point? Felt super odd. Especially since the coins were annoying to come by.

EDIT: Oh yeah not sure if I said but it's really good. Like on par with Uncharted 3 for me.

Stackboy

Battles were very excellent, was also the easiest effort ever to get on the fence/front-center for a band.

Yeah that was great, being able to get up the front nice and easily. My wife came to find me a few minutes before the set started and she had no problems getting up the front.

Ah more of a Soundwave fan then! Shame it was organised by muppets.

I was a soundwave fan a few years ago, when there was more punk and ska, I like metal but not as much as other soundwave fans.

senahorse

Had a bit of a scare at work yesterday, half of my face got really numb all of a sudden and I couldn't move muscles on one part of my face (think half smile etc). Immediate thoughts went to thinking I was having/about to have a stroke. Went straight to doctor's (it's right beside work) where they did a bunch of tests and doing more today (CT scan, MRI etc) to rule some extra nasty things out but it's looking like it's Bell's Palsy, so I guess I have half a face to work with for a few months at least. Apparently most people regain most if not all control of it. It's certainly difficult drinking and eating at the moment, also I can only barely close my right eye and it's constantly watering. Could be a lot worse so it's something to be positive about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom