• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 10 is a turd of an O.S. now? It's basically Windows 8.2, what's so bad about it?

Better desktop experience than 8.1, worse tablet experience than 8.1.

I would not call it a turd conceptually but I'm still having power management bugs on my Surface Book. Feels like it needs a few big updates to really be unambiguously superior, mainly getting glitches and such under control but also improving the touch experience (Metro IE11 is still a better touch browser than Edge is for example).

senahorse

I have been using it on my SP2 for a while without any issues, well that I have experienced. That's what you get for getting the new toy mutes :D
secretly, or not so secretly jealous

I have been using it on my SP2 for a while without any issues, well that I have experienced. That's what you get for getting the new toy mutes :D
secretly, or not so secretly jealous

Actually it was REAL bad on my SP2 prior to me selling it and upgrading to SB. I went to Win 10 and the thing would cook itself in my bag on the way to work, it would be fully charged, I'd put it into sleep mode and it would be 40% by the time I got home despite never using it. After entering sleep mode it would wake itself up constantly and discharge. Just dreadful.

I rolled it back to factory win8 settings before I sold it to my friend because it was so awful lol.

The SB bugs aren't that bad, but still not great.

jambo

I updated my Surface Pro 1 from 8.1 to 10 and it's been great.

The battery life seems to have gotten way better. I can charge it up and use it for a few hours, then put it away for a week or so and it will only use a few % battery.

Always seemed to lose more battery when sleeping on Windows 8.1.

My desktop has had more issues with Windows 10. For some reason my main monitor will just disconnect and I'll have to go in to display settings and hit Detect once or twice to get it back.

I've also had the issue with NVIDIA drivers and the SLI option disappearing from the control panel. My next upgrade will definitely be a big powerful single card. No more SLI!

I updated my Surface Pro 1 from 8.1 to 10 and it's been great.

The battery life seems to have gotten way better. I can charge it up and use it for a few hours, then put it away for a week or so and it will only use a few % battery.

Always seemed to lose more battery when sleeping on Windows 8.1.

The worst thing about all the bugs is that they're extremely inconsistent between people's machines. If you head over to r/Surface it's just an endless series of complaints about glitches and bugs, but most people don't have most bugs, although a few are widespread. Review copies were mostly genuinely unaffected and some people are having no issues at all in the wild. It must be a nightmare to troubleshoot when there's seemingly no rhyme or reason behind why some people are being affected and others aren't.

senahorse

To be fair I have had power management issues with SP2 no matter the O.S. I have to take care to make sure it actually hibernates before packing it away (otherwise yeah the toaster comes into account), just closing the keyboard isn't enough (possible sleep mode bugs).

jambo

I can't seem to use sleep or hibernate on my main desktop either.

When I choose Hibernate, my PC will switch back on within a few minutes.

With Sleep, it turned off for over 30 minutes, so I went to bed, only to wake up in the morning and find the PC on again. No idea when it came back on during the night.

Stackboy

All these rumours of xbox one games coming to pc are so exciting apart from the fact that the win10 store charges $90 aud per game, quantum break seems to be $100 aud to pre order on xbox, makes ebgames look cheap.

I thought I read somewhere that if you buy the Xbone version you get a key for the PC version too.

Shaneus

Windows 10 is a turd of an O.S. now? It's basically Windows 8.2, what's so bad about it?
Better desktop experience than 8.1, worse tablet experience than 8.1.
Very much so. That, and I couldn't get any BT drivers working for it (wouldn't detect anything BT related, but was auto detected AND installed on 8.1). Very, very sluggish and did that old chestnut of clicking once, waiting, clicking again and all of a sudden the buffer catches up.

Conversely, 8.1 runs like a dream in comparison, has all drivers easily available and you can disable auto updates on it (without fucking around in the registry).

Gazunta

Parity you might be the only person who can tell me because Google and Surface support forums are fucking useless: Have Microsoft fixed how palm rejection was on the Surface Pro 2 was completely broken if you upgraded to Windows 10?

I tried upgrading just as W10 came out, and I could no longer draw on the device properly because palm rejection was completely stuffed. Every support forum just kind of dodges the issue like it's no big deal but it completely ruins the device for me.

senahorse

Gaz, to be honest I have no idea. I haven't done any freehand drawing on my surface since I upgraded to 10. Unfortunately I left it at work last week and haven't been back since, still probably 2 weeks away from going either :(. I will let you know as soon as I do though.

MoonGred

Preorder XBO version digital, get some kind of code around launch for the PC version too.

I can't find reference on the Aussie store although it's definitely that way in America.

Me neither, only mentions Alan Wake.

That said $99 is too steep, regardless of getting two versions. I'd just play the pc version anyway

When I choose Hibernate, my PC will switch back on within a few minutes.

With Sleep, it turned off for over 30 minutes, so I went to bed, only to wake up in the morning and find the PC on again. No idea when it came back on during the night.
Checked that the NIC is not allowed to wake the PC? Sometimes when it gets a broadcast packet the NIC will just wake the PC. You can still use WOL even with that turned off.

Alternatively, might be a rogue USB device waking it.

I had this problem with Windows 8, and Windows 10. Probably Windows 7, too. Disabling that setting on the NIC fixed it (and WOL does still work).

dity

My card didn't work.

Well damn, sorry about that. Maybe the bank that handles your card matters? I just use my St George debit card.

The only thing bad about W10 for me is that when I start the computer sometimes the notification centre is already set to quiet hours, and my desktop icons change locations randomly.

I hope we get another Forza Horizon this year, probably my fave game on Xbone.

90% chance of happening. Forza has been a yearly franchise for a while now I think?

FH2 is great. Quick fun but after a while it felt oddly soulless. Like Ubisoft made a racing game but dialed up the style to 11. This could all be related to the fact I'm not big on that listless open world style, I wasn't big on Burnout Paradise after all ;)

Someone bring back classic arcade Burnout please. Soooo long since a decent crash mode in anything :(

trinest

90% chance of happening. Forza has been a yearly franchise for a while now I think?

FH2 is great. Quick fun but after a while it felt oddly soulless. Like Ubisoft made a racing game but dialed up the style to 11. This could all be related to the fact I'm not big on that listless open world style, I wasn't big on Burnout Paradise after all ;)

Someone bring back classic arcade Burnout please. Soooo long since a decent crash mode in anything :(

Honestly I didn't like Horizon 2 as much not because its an open world because that's stupid, but because the game as you said didn't have much soul, which stems from the changes they did to how the music festival concept was presented and the fact some things like the street races where cut.

Shaneus

I'd kill for a HD re-release on PC of BO2 or whatever the really good one was on 360 that wasn't Paradise (Takedown? It was on both 360 and regular Xbox). Piss easy port, do 60fps with one hand tied behind its back.

Quasar

The only thing bad about W10 for me is that when I start the computer sometimes the notification centre is already set to quiet hours, and my desktop icons change locations randomly.

I can't say I have any issues. I think its great. Of course I never really had any issues with 8.

Quasar

Can find some here:

http://www.thesmartcrowd.com/workers/job-opportunities/country/australia/#jobs-list

Current advertised position is internet ads assessor. I just do the general internet assessor role. Probably pays the same, which is US $19.50 an hour and you'll probably get paid around a month and a half later (eg, for the work you do in Feb you'll get paid around mid April).

Regarding that and working as a contractor. Just what tax related stuff needs to be done as I have no idea. Did you need to get an abn and all?

dity

I can't say I have any issues. I think its great. Of course I never really had any issues with 8.

Oh, I think it's great too. But those little issues can be annoying. "Oh, gotta re-arrange my icons again..."

Maybe I should get a program that puts my desktop icons in like, a shelf or something lmao. I think Stardock makes a program to do that.

Quasar

Oh, I think it's great too. But those little issues can be annoying. "Oh, gotta re-arrange my icons again..."

Maybe I should get a program that puts my desktop icons in like, a shelf or something lmao. I think Stardock makes a program to do that.

Oh. I never use icons beyond a couple on tne taskbar. Actually I can't remember the last time I did. I guess I might have with xp.

Stackboy

If they follow the usual pattern, we will get Forza Horizon 3 this year.

I am super up for more open world racing.

Still on Stan afaik.

It's on Netflix worldwide EXCEPT Australia and New Zealand =\

Season 2 is only available as it airs in Europe.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/16/11014734/better-call-saul-season-2-netflix-availability

Nice. My best was 7 straight during the beta. How's the online?

Honestly? At the moment it's a fucking mess! Disconnects all over the place, but hopefully it's just launch teething problems. Apparently it wasn't really an issue with the beta's so I think they can sort it out.

Didn't seem to be much lag which was good, and the game plays fantastically. People are unhappy with a lack of content and bare bones single player, but 16 characters is plenty for me at the moment and the mechanics are sublime. Should keep me going for quite a while!

Gazunta

Me right now trying to ignore everyone playing Street Fighter V

201309291502-jal08-drunkeness.jpg

I'M TRYING TO SAVE UP FOR A NEW SURFACE PRO DON'T MAKE ME BUY A PS4 GOD DAMN IT

Stackboy

I'll watch twitch streams of other people playing streeties, for now I'm happy just spectating.

I sucked at streeties 4.

Looking forward to new characters for MK next month though.

CmdBash

Picked up SFV on PC, just wondering if anyone knows a place to buy fight sticks/controllers in Melbourne? or will I have to buy off playasia/some other site?

Honestly? At the moment it's a fucking mess! Disconnects all over the place, but hopefully it's just launch teething problems. Apparently it wasn't really an issue with the beta's so I think they can sort it out.

Didn't seem to be much lag which was good, and the game plays fantastically. People are unhappy with a lack of content and bare bones single player, but 16 characters is plenty for me at the moment and the mechanics are sublime. Should keep me going for quite a while!

Yeah the beta was rock solid for me. The content is fine, I tend to play the same character and only online. Tossing up whether to buy a PC or a ps4 again, if I didn't have to pay for plus it'd be a much easier decision.

Picked up SFV on PC, just wondering if anyone knows a place to buy fight sticks/controllers in Melbourne? or will I have to buy off playasia/some other site?

Games men were good but they recently jacked up their prices.

$150 shipped.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NHDSINS/

Yeah the beta was rock solid for me. The content is fine, I tend to play the same character and only online. Tossing up whether to buy a PC or a ps4 again, if I didn't have to pay for plus it'd be a much easier decision.

I've got a 360 SF4 Mad Catz TE1 stick, so the decision was easy for me!

There's also these Aus made sticks for $130 delivered, but not sure of the quality: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html...r&_itemId=321845731116&_trksid=p2047675.m4096

Hori MvC 3 stick for $105: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hori-arc...290238?hash=item35faefdc7e:g:~2AAAOSw5dNWqwrb

Woah, just realised looking at Ebay listings that my Namco PS1/PS2 arcade sticks are actually worth a decent amount.

I've got a 360 SF4 Mad Catz TE1 stick, so the decision was easy for me!

There's also these Aus made sticks for $130 delivered, but not sure of the quality: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html...r&_itemId=321845731116&_trksid=p2047675.m4096

Hori MvC 3 stick for $105: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hori-arc...290238?hash=item35faefdc7e:g:~2AAAOSw5dNWqwrb

Woah, just realised looking at Ebay listings that my Namco PS1/PS2 arcade sticks are actually worth a decent amount.

Nice stick. Yeah the namco sticks are worth a pretty penny.

dity

Oh. I never use icons beyond a couple on tne taskbar. Actually I can't remember the last time I did. I guess I might have with xp.

I like to have some easy to access files on the desktop, stuff for tafe and whatnot.

It seems the issue's gone away after building a completely new computer. Old graphics card might have been doing it or something lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom