• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

Just noticed the new iinet plans, $20 less a month and only 200GB less data with no freezone content, considering I barely go over 500GB a month including free zone is there any reason not to switch? No hidden catch?

Though at this point I may as well switch to a TPG unlimited plan :/

Quasar

Forza Horizon PC pls.

Hopefully MS eventually moves to the point where all 1st Party titles are on Windows/Xbox. Even if the console get a timed break like 3-6 months.

I don't really see any reason for MS not to. The argument in the past was more money per sale on console, but if they are selling the pc version on the Windows Store that's not an argument you can make.

Stackboy

Just noticed the new iinet plans, $20 less a month and only 200GB less data with no freezone content, considering I barely go over 500GB a month including free zone is there any reason not to switch? No hidden catch?

Though at this point I may as well switch to a TPG unlimited plan :/

I've heard alot of people say iinet isn't really worthwhile anymore. Terrible customer service, no freezone content.

I'm on an unlimited Optus plan and pretty happy with it.

Poona

Regarding that and working as a contractor. Just what tax related stuff needs to be done as I have no idea. Did you need to get an abn and all?

No, there is no ABN. Have also only worked on it since around July of last year. I think Darren870 knows a bit more than I do because of that (here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195220799&postcount=18357 ) so may have a bit more info to share.

As for hours and how it mentions 10 hours a minimum. There's been times at least at the start that I was doing 10 hours a month! I just wasn't really staying on top of it. The work isn't really reserved for you. It works by you logging in and choosing to do whatever is available. If you don't log-in regularly you could miss the work as others did it instead, and so they don't require anymore people to do it. Although the ads assessor role could be slightly different, but I'm assuming it's pretty much the same. The most hours I've recorded in a month is 76, and that was in october with me basically spending much of my days and nights sitting at my computer doing the job.

Also the hours thing is based on their timings, not really yours. For example I've done a job that took me around 30 minutes to do (this is especially early on in the piece when I'm trying to understand things) but at the top of the job is listed their estimated time for what it took and that is 9 minutes! So if you tell them the job took you 30 minutes in the timesheet, they'll come back and tell you that it's wrong, and needs to be amended. You can be under the time limit (so say you record 5 minutes for an estimated 11 minutes job) but you can't record over. Many times I'm over or under their estimates but I just end up going with their estimates, and marking them down on a sheet as I submit each task so I can have a figure to type in for the timesheet at the end of the day.

What's the best package forwarding service AusGAF? I've got the Gamer's Edition Hotline Miami thing coming but haven't actually been charged by Shipito or got it yet from them, so I can't assess their pricing or expediency. Any thoughts?

dity

I've heard alot of people say iinet isn't really worthwhile anymore. Terrible customer service, no freezone content.

I'm currently with Internode, who are owned by iiNet, which is owned by TPG.

I have no idea if I should switch or not honestly. Customer service is still pretty ok.

The only time I've had to use the iiNet customer service it was a nightmare. When I signed up they gave me an incomplete username to enter into the router. They said it was <my username> instead of <my username>@webone.com.au. Phoned their call centre in what sounded like India and there began a 2 hour long pointless exercise into trying to describe the router and giving them all sorts of numbers they didn't recognise or understand. Eventually they just hung up.

Called the local Transact/iiNet call centre and they fixed it in about 5 mins. TPG, I assume, have since shut down all the local call centres. Nice job!

At least Steam and Netflix is still freezone for now.

hidys

What are you going to use them for? The M50X are pretty popular.

Either for my iPhone or my desktop. I haven't decided yet.

I'm thinking I should use my Sennheiser pair (I have forgotten which model they are) for my iPhone and get some good desktop ones but I'm still weighing that up.

EDIT: I believe they are the HD 419.

EDIT: After doing some research I might pick these up. Thanks.

Mr. Tone

Either for my iPhone or my desktop. I haven't decided yet.

I'm thinking I should use my Sennheiser pair (I have forgotten which model they are) for my iPhone and get some good desktop ones but I'm still weighing that up.

EDIT: I believe they are the HD 419.

EDIT: After doing some research I might pick these up. Thanks.

Happy to help. There are a whole bunch of good options at that kind of price, so as long as you know what you want and do a little research you should be fine.

Darren870

Regarding that and working as a contractor. Just what tax related stuff needs to be done as I have no idea. Did you need to get an abn and all?

If you aren't working it might be worth opening an ABN. If you are working then you can claim this as extra income.

Depends on your position really.

Is anyone else trying the Division open beta on PC?

I wanna give it a go, but have no friends interested in it and it's meant to be much better with a group.

Can I hang with you guys?

Is anyone else trying the Division open beta on PC?

I wanna give it a go, but have no friends interested in it and it's meant to be much better with a group.

Can I hang with you guys?
I'll be on the PS4 beta. I'll post something in the AusGAF PSN community in case anyone else wants to team up. I'm in an Australian social gaming clan so we'll have a lot of people playing.

I'll be on the PS4 beta. I'll post something in the AusGAF PSN community in case anyone else wants to team up. I'm in an Australian social gaming clan so we'll have a lot of people playing.

Can you send me an invite to the community? Always happy to play with more local players (and less laggy overseas players).

PSN: ruthlesbarbarian

I'll be trying out the Division beta on PS4. That's the platform I'll be buying the game on.

Played the closed beta a lot, will be playing the open beta as well on PS4. Still not sold on the game though, want to hear from from ubi regarding end-game content before I make the decision.

Can you send me an invite to the community? Always happy to play with more local players (and less laggy overseas players).

PSN: ruthlesbarbarian
Done.

Played the closed beta a lot, will be playing the open beta as well on PS4. Still not sold on the game though, want to hear from from ubi regarding end-game content before I make the decision.
Same. It's much like the Destiny Beta: core gameplay is great, but will there be enough unique content and story, or will it be a grind fest?

Gazunta

AWESOME! I loved the first one on C64!

IMG_0732.jpg

There's still iiNet/Internode call centres in Australia, no plans of that changing anytime soon.

Looks like they just closed the transact/iiNet one in Canberra. Shame as I can't imagine other call centres are up to date with the unique network. The NBN is over building it as well for some dumb reason.

And in more comedy telco news, got a letter from Telstra that they need access to my backyard to replace the copper lines with more copper! The future is now.

good day GAF AU kinda new to fold just started posting the last few days :)

just wondering with regards to 2nd hand shopping ie retro stuff is there a sort of online index i can refer to for say car boot sales , 2nd hand shops , markets etc for used games mainly PS1 era and before ? or is the yellow / white pages and cold calling about all there is to go off ? talking about QLD specifically for now :)

cheers guys :)

dity

just wondering with regards to 2nd hand shopping ie retro stuff is there a sort of online index i can refer to for say car boot sales , 2nd hand shops , markets etc for used games mainly PS1 era and before ? or is the yellow / white pages and cold calling about all there is to go off ? talking about QLD specifically for now :)

That's a good question. Honestly, given its Australia I just typically assume we're fresh out of luck for stuff like that.

Gumtree, CEX, eBay and of course, GAF. Dunno about op shops (Lifeline or The Salvos) but they might be worth a look to remove them from your enquiries.

Weekend markets could be a good thing to try, maybe start with the nearest or try Rocklea markets.

I know some who get shirty about calling PS1 retro, mainly because it reminds them how old they are.

Welcome, and ignore any questionaire put to you by the lovely folk here.

legend166

Gumtree, CEX, eBay and of course, GAF. Dunno about op shops (Lifeline or The Salvos) but they might be worth a look to remove them from your enquiries.

Weekend markets could be a good thing to try, maybe start with the nearest or try Rocklea markets.

I know some who get shirty about calling PS1 retro, mainly because it reminds them how old they are.

Welcome, and ignore any questionaire put to you by the lovely folk here.

The PS1 is twice as old today (20 years) as the SNES was when the PS2 launched (10 years).

If the PS1 isn't retro you're basically defining retro to 2D consoles so nothing will ever be retro again.

Retro stuff is really what you stumble upon in Australia. Prices are jacked up like crazy on Gumtree and ebay. Given how gimped 50hz PAL stuff is from that era it's pretty much cheaper and better just to import retro consoles and games.

Pure luck now. Everyone knows the rough worth of stuff, was in a pawn broker the other day and they wanted $100 for a megadrive 2 and crap games were $20 each. A few years back it would have been $20 max and games a few dollars each.

quabba

What's the best package forwarding service AusGAF? I've got the Gamer's Edition Hotline Miami thing coming but haven't actually been charged by Shipito or got it yet from them, so I can't assess their pricing or expediency. Any thoughts?

I've used borderlinx before and they were good. No idea how they compare though.

Gazunta

Yeah retrogame collecting in QLD is basically a pointless activity. Everything even half decent is hard to find and stupidly expensive.

I was amazed when absent-mindedly walking around some second hand shops in Melbourne last year and finding bucketfuls of 8-bit Nintendo and Sega stuff for decent prices, heck even Atari 2600 gear in plentiful supply! Up here in QLD you'd be lucky to find a broken PS1 copy of Madden 2000 for under $50. I've given up looking.

KrisB

Looks like they just closed the transact/iiNet one in Canberra. Shame as I can't imagine other call centres are up to date with the unique network. The NBN is over building it as well for some dumb reason.
Correct. There's still call centres in Adelaide and Cape Town.

Is there anything specific you are looking for? I've got a lifetime worth of stuff that I'd be willing to part with and live in Brisbane.

Yeah retrogame collecting in QLD is basically a pointless activity. Everything even half decent is hard to find and stupidly expensive.

I was amazed when absent-mindedly walking around some second hand shops in Melbourne last year and finding bucketfuls of 8-bit Nintendo and Sega stuff for decent prices, heck even Atari 2600 gear in plentiful supply! Up here in QLD you'd be lucky to find a broken PS1 copy of Madden 2000 for under $50. I've given up looking.

For Sale: Copy of Madden 2000, PSX, $60. Some light damage.

Demand just shot up. I got witnesses.

And to think most retro collectables were probably being given away during their 'value-less' period.

Those 360/PS3 titles JB was flogging off before Christmas might even be worth big bucks in 30 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom