• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonGred

The one weekend when two betas are going on that I really want to play (division and hitman) has to coincide with the weekend where I'm stuck at work ugh.

The one weekend when two betas are going on that I really want to play (division and hitman) has to coincide with the weekend where I'm stuck at work ugh.

The hitman beta on consoles is still playable after the beta ended few days ago, so don't worry about that. Just download it and you should be able to play it later. Assuming it works the same way for PC.

Hitman console beta is over, but if you want to try the Division open beta, you can download it right now (pc, ps4 or xbox). It starts in 50 minutes and runs for 2 days. D/l size on PS4 is around 27GB.

PC beta codes for hitman can be found in this thread, amazon sent a lot of duplicate codes.

Pure luck now. Everyone knows the rough worth of stuff, was in a pawn broker the other day and they wanted $100 for a megadrive 2 and crap games were $20 each. A few years back it would have been $20 max and games a few dollars each.

that is true for quite a few stores yea how ever i have had a bit of luck with some of the stores that are spread out over the place something good here and there for the most part i only buy what i want to play , il some times buy cheap $5 ones simply for replacing the cases on some of my older stuff that iv had since i was a kid lol

Yeah retrogame collecting in QLD is basically a pointless activity. Everything even half decent is hard to find and stupidly expensive.

I was amazed when absent-mindedly walking around some second hand shops in Melbourne last year and finding bucketfuls of 8-bit Nintendo and Sega stuff for decent prices, heck even Atari 2600 gear in plentiful supply! Up here in QLD you'd be lucky to find a broken PS1 copy of Madden 2000 for under $50. I've given up looking.

that is true and the better kowen the store the harder it is to get anything decent but its not much good if no one can find the store and yea from everything iv been told other states are alot better for getting older stuff huge huge markets and what not but yea id still like to try looking for somewhat obscure stuff that i find fun to play that i don't have i pretty much only collect pal stuff (for anything pre PS3) whats even more gulling is how alot of members from other states would often brag how is it is to find x yz in other states lol and when i wanted them to get something for they wanted the world lol

And to think most retro collectables were probably being given away during their 'value-less' period.

Those 360/PS3 titles JB was flogging off before Christmas might even be worth big bucks in 30 years time.

very true mate yea i recall that time period were it went from being something some of us did to everyone did alot of resellers rode the high ground in the end from what i can see it dos make it harder for shops tho as alot of the 2nd hand shops simply haven't bothered to restock and yea retro collecting is alot harder now bascily just hunting some PS1 titles on the rarer side that i don't have a few ps2 titles if i can recall the names and the odd PS3 title here and there( not relly retro at all but its something i collect for) , don't really have a list just a few odds and since i have most of the titles
and since im nether a big sports fan or turnbased rpg fan ( tho i love legend of dragoon)

Is there anything specific you are looking for? I've got a lifetime worth of stuff that I'd be willing to part with and live in Brisbane.

cheers mate il have to get back to you with a small list or something for ps1 i do recall a under water shump *edit* its " in the hunt" i think of sorts will need to get that title , also seeking rule of the rose , possibly team buddies for not paying out the ass prices lol yea alot of the online fronts are just way over the top i take it when clive mentioned CEX he meant the UK mob ?

http://www.backloggery.com/mikezilla2 - my very incomplete unupdated list of things i already have its missing alot of titles from my PS2 collection and a few on my PS3 and like wise haven't added a PS4 list or PS1 list yet might use some other service , used to use IGNs list function till it went to crap a number of years ago

one thing i did think of in regards to store locations, we could start a google maps project ? a fan website ? someone could make an app of sorts and we could contribute addresses and numbers i wouldn't be the one to spear head such a project but the idea is there no doubt will make the lack of retro games worse but whats the use if the store cant be found in the first place , it could go beyond just used game stores..... needless to say i did find a link to all the charity shops and salvos the other day ( well it was listing for like two charity shops) so there's that

no doubt the recession of the past few years people have thrown out a ton as well.

that is true for quite a few stores yea how ever i have had a bit of luck with some of the stores that are spread out over the place something good here and there for the most part i only buy what i want to play , il some times buy cheap $5 ones simply for replacing the cases on some of my older stuff that iv had since i was a kid lol

that is true and the better kowen the store the harder it is to get anything decent but its not much good if no one can find the store and yea from everything iv been told other states are alot better for getting older stuff huge huge markets and what not but yea id still like to try looking for somewhat obscure stuff that i find fun to play that i don't have i pretty much only collect pal stuff (for anything pre PS3) whats even more gulling is how alot of members from other states would often brag how is it is to find x yz in other states lol and when i wanted them to get something for they wanted the world lol

very true mate yea i recall that time period were it went from being something some of us did to everyone did alot of resellers rode the high ground in the end from what i can see it dos make it harder for shops tho as alot of the 2nd hand shops simply haven't bothered to restock and yea retro collecting is alot harder now bascily just hunting some PS1 titles on the rarer side that i don't have a few ps2 titles if i can recall the names and the odd PS3 title here and there( not relly retro at all but its something i collect for) , don't really have a list just a few odds and since i have most of the titles
and since im nether a big sports fan or turnbased rpg fan ( tho i love legend of dragoon)

cheers mate il have to get back to you with a small list or something for ps1 i do recall a under water shump *edit* its " in the hunt" i think of sorts will need to get that title , also seeking rule of the rose , possibly team buddies for not paying out the ass prices lol yea alot of the online fronts are just way over the top i take it when clive mentioned CEX he meant the UK mob ?

http://www.backloggery.com/mikezilla2 - my very incomplete unupdated list of things i already have its missing alot of titles from my PS2 collection and a few on my PS3 and like wise haven't added a PS4 list or PS1 list yet might use some other service , used to use IGNs list function till it went to crap a number of years ago

one thing i did think of in regards to store locations, we could start a google maps project ? a fan website ? someone could make an app of sorts and we could contribute addresses and numbers i wouldn't be the one to spear head such a project but the idea is there no doubt will make the lack of retro games worse but whats the use if the store cant be found in the first place , it could go beyond just used game stores..... needless to say i did find a link to all the charity shops and salvos the other day ( well it was listing for like two charity shops) so there's that

no doubt the recession of the past few years people have thrown out a ton as well.

yeah CEX is the same as UK and US. There's at least one in Brisbane, at Westfield Garden City.

dity

When you see the prices CEX has listed, I'm honestly not surprised they can't move stock. I mean, $80 for the PS2 slim?

I'll sell them stuff because it's easier than Ebay, but buying stuff from them is just not worth it.

r1chard

Fun times at the Games Laboratory last night, even when trying to figure out that Season game and Cam clearly having played it before wiped the floor with us.

Nick, shoulda been there.

MoonGred

Anyone have any impression on the hitman beta yet? I'm hoping it more akin to Blood money than it is to Absolution.
Still trying to figure out to buy the intro pack through Steam for +-20 Aud, with the risk of having to buy the upgraded pack down the track for what I presume will be at least 40USD or to splurge 60AUD on the full game from CDkeys.

The Giant

Banned
Got Watch Dogs for Wii U for $12 at eb. So far i'm not feeling it. Might give it another couple of hours to see if it picks up.

dity

crud so its not like UK CEX same compney tho ? and do they take anything as far as region A blu rays and random dvds ?
They won't take anything that won't work in an Australian device and won't run on 230-240v. As of the last time I went in they've also introduced some new rules - they'll only take things sold retail here in Aus. For example: last time I went in I tried to sell my Lime Green PSVita from Japan. It charges here and will play Aussie games, but they wouldn't accept it (The guys at head office who price items). They "aren't certified" to sell it. It was weird.

Anyone have any impression on the hitman beta yet? I'm hoping it more akin to Blood money than it is to Absolution.
Still trying to figure out to buy the intro pack through Steam for +-20 Aud, with the risk of having to buy the upgraded pack down the track for what I presume will be at least 40USD or to splurge 60AUD on the full game from CDkeys.

all the online impressions of it ie digtalfoundry seem to paint it as a return to form and from all the footage iv seen it reminds me alot of blood money missing alot of the 3rd person shooter elements of absolution lol, im sort of on the fence about it like yourself mostly because of the nature of it being an episodic game but looks like a solid game so might get it sooner - there is ment to be dynamic contracts ( contracts that appear for just a day)

They won't take anything that won't work in an Australian device and won't run on 230-240v. As of the last time I went in they've also introduced some new rules - they'll only take things sold retail here in Aus. For example: last time I went in I tried to sell my Lime Green PSVita from Japan. It charges here and will play Aussie games, but they wouldn't accept it (The guys at head office who price items). They "aren't certified" to sell it. It was weird.

what about in complete pal box sets lol ? guess there offers on junk games would be low lol

Hey Mike, did you post ages ago on PALGN, and Rocket Chainsaw?

Seeing that name seems like a blast from the past!

ah short yes i remember you :) couple faces on here i recognise :)

Yeah that seemed to ring a bell from PALGN!

blink ? rapscallion? sorry kinda shooting in to the wind here lol

- on a side note should ask is there an Aussie deals thread that im some how missing ?

blink ? rapscallion? sorry kinda shooting in to the wind here lol

- on a side note should ask is there an Aussie deals thread that im some how missing ?

I went by el_rezzo or reptilescorpio, can't recall which at the time. I only ever posted in the B/S/T thread though, with mixed results :/

There is a bargain thread somewhere but otherwise best bet is to read OzBargain once a day! It made EcoGamer redundant over time. I retweet the main deals of interest though. (also I post price roundups of the bigger games that launch at PressStart *plugplugplug*)

Rezbit

Played a couple hours of The Division. It's definitely reasonable gameplay and mechanics wise, and the world they have created is really stunning. Just have that feeling that what we see in the beta might be it. Hopefully proven wrong, if so I reckon it's a purchase.

It's definitely a sequel to Blood Money. TBH I think they may have even gone a little too far and even thrown some of the better things about Absolution away. The Beta levels are quite limited and are the game's tutorial levels, but you can still see what's in store. If you enjoyed Blood Money then it's the game for you.

MoonGred

It's definitely a sequel to Blood Money. TBH I think they may have even gone a little too far and even thrown some of the better things about Absolution away. The Beta levels are quite limited and are the game's tutorial levels, but you can still see what's in store. If you enjoyed Blood Money then it's the game for you.

That's good to hear. I didn't have any issues with Absolution, apart from the scoring system but did enjoy blood money a bit more.
Reading steam forums makes it feel like my opinion is null and void as everyone on there seems so invested in the hitman franchise.
I just hope that it will have enough content, the 6 locations leans a bit towards to low side, granted they'll have dynamic objectives but it doesn't take away from the repetitiveness of a certain map.

That's good to hear. I didn't have any issues with Absolution, apart from the scoring system but did enjoy blood money a bit more.
Reading steam forums makes it feel like my opinion is null and void as everyone on there seems so invested in the hitman franchise.
I just hope that it will have enough content, the 6 locations leans a bit towards to low side, granted they'll have dynamic objectives but it doesn't take away from the repetitiveness of a certain map.
I really enjoyed Absolution too, even if I thought it was at its best when it was closest to Blood Money. I enjoyed the story though, something you don't really get in the other Hitman games, and on a technical level it was fantastic. I didn't mind the improved animations and throwing/shooting mechanics either, they were very welcome additions. Shooting might generally represent a failure, but it's also a lot of fun on replays :)

If anyone's interested, JB are doing The Division with digital preorder goodies for $69 on PS4 and probably Xbone too.
The closed and open Betas were good and enjoyable, but I just don't think there's enough to keep my interest. I'll probably get it when the price eventually comes down. It needed a really strong story and after the betas I'm just not convinced there's a deep one there.

The closed and open Betas were good and enjoyable, but I just don't think there's enough to keep my interest. I'll probably get it when the price eventually comes down. It needed a really strong story and after the betas I'm just not convinced there's a deep one there.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I'm not getting it because the moment to moment gameplay is just wwaaaayyy better in Siege than The Division. I'm holding out for Wildlands, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom