• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

That useless cunt is still PM but who gives a fuck, Spider-man is in the Marvel MCU!!!!

xQG12vL.jpg

Tommy DJ

Sorry to keep asking questions and such, but I'm looking to open a bank account. What would you guys recommend? Just a day-to-day bank account for getting my salary and such.

A decent number of people I know recommend Credit Union Australia, bankMECU, and ING. You're generally looking at lower fees (or none at all) and comparable or better interest with your savings account. If ethics are at all a concern, Credit Union Australia and bankMECU don't directly invest in non-renewable resources.

There will be some inflexibility because the banks don't have the position of Commbank, Westpac, NAB, ANZ. You need to look and ask around to get a better idea if they will impact you. For instance, I'm fairly sure CUA limits you to a certain number of withdraws if you don't have a certain amount of money in your account.

Your industry might have also their own credit union and they're definitely worth looking at. I know the Teachers Mutual Bank offers pretty good products.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate 3DS version & The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask Ultimate HD 3D 3DS version are $48 at Target from Saturday

Sorry to keep asking questions and such, but I'm looking to open a bank account. What would you guys recommend? Just a day-to-day bank account for getting my salary and such.

Shop around, find one with low/no fees with a VISA/MasterCard debit card. Maybe check ATM availability too. American Express isn't accepted at some places here so if you really want one of those make sure to get a backup card too.

Stackboy

Got my key for Evolve from Ozgameshop this morning, it had the extra monster key with it as well. Bargain! Started the download, so it will be ready when I get home this afternoon.

Today I was made redundant.

Thank's Libs!

Sucks man, hope you finding something better really soon.

Darren870

Just open one of the following:

Westpac
ANZ
NAB
CommonWealth

I know NAB has no fees for bank accounts. But basically you want a bank that has the most ATM points in the event you need cash out. Its not like the UK where you can stick your card into any ol ATM and not pay a fee. If you don't use your banks ATM you are going to get hit with a fee, maybe even 2.

Quasar

Westpac
ANZ
NAB
CommonWealth

I know NAB has no fees for bank accounts. But basically you want a bank that has the most ATM points in the event you need cash out. Its not like the UK where you can stick your card into any ol ATM and not pay a fee. If you don't use your banks ATM you are going to get hit with a fee, maybe even 2.

Yeah. I tend just withdraw money when I pay for stuff via eftpos as my nab account has unlimited eftpos but a limited number of atm transactions. Or it did I've long since looked at the fine details.

Gazunta

The Beards would be a legit good choice. Like, they're good enough to actually have a shot, and different enough to get the fringe vote.

I heard TISM being bandied around a bit this morning but ehh nah.

$5 says they send Ricki-Lee

And my girlfriend and I were going to try swimming in the ocean today. But she's apprehensive because she's scared of sharks. And I'm apprehensive because I don't want to end up like Harold Bishop. Getting washed out to sea and finding myself back in Scotland playing tuba in the Salvation Army with amnesia and shit. I ain't about that life.

Apart from that, all good. Thanks for the messages, I'm sure I'll enjoy my time in Australia.

For a second there I thought you meant Harold Holt. former Aussie PM who went missing while swimming.

Currently I have an ING Direct Everyday Transactions Account which has been pretty sweet, no dramas. No monthly fees. Originally when I signed up they had 5% cashback on Visa PayWave transactions, but now it is only 2%, even for new customers. (though the promotion has no end date so it is running indefinitely up to the discretion of ING)

You can also use every ATM in Australia for free. What happens is you get charged the ATM fees, but ING Direct reimburses you.

But to access those two features (the 2% cashback and free ATMs), you have to deposit $1000 or more in your account every month. I just transfer 1000 bucks out of my ing account into a different bank and then back again and that works lol.

The only real negative of ING Direct is they have no bank branches. So if you needed to withdraw a bunch of cash in one day or something you'd be SOL without a different bank account.

An ME Bank Everyday Transaction Account also looks very appealing. They have no monthly fees also. They have 5% cashback with Mastercard PayPass for 6 months! You get free access to ME Bank, Westpac, St George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA ATMs. There's a fair amount of Westpac and St George ATMs around (you can go on bank websites or phone apps and check out where all their ATMs are, get a feel whether there's many of these ones around where you're living and going out). But then you're living like most people with the big banks and when you need to get cash out, you're looking around especially for your bank, maybe driving/walking further just to use your bank's ATM or giving in and paying a fee at a different bank's ATM. (though with ME Bank there's the benefit of having access to a few different banks)

Though this isn't really that much of a problem if you're on top of your money. You could just withdraw large amounts of cash every now and again. Or you can get cash out (using EFTPOS) when you're buying something at the supermarket/fast food/lots of places.

Westpac
ANZ
NAB
CommonWealth

^ My advice would have been to not do that, but it's certainly the simplest method so if you want 0% hassle then do that. Just miss out a few bonuses some smaller banks have.

Bernbaum

I've already got Netflix, but Stan looks like a decent service and it's got a bunch of shows I wanna watch. What's the image quality like? Is there HD content?

senahorse

I've already got Netflix, but Stan looks like a decent service and it's got a bunch of shows I wanna watch. What's the image quality like? Is there HD content?

The majority is HD. The quality is maybe slightly less than Netflix's highest, but barely noticeable, it's 1080P but maybe slightly less bit-rate. I have an issue with slight stutter occasionally but I think that is do with the chromecast (but still something Stan need to address). Also unless you are using an ATV there is currently no 5.1.

Quasar

Its certainly better than SD. I think its quite good IQ wise. It seems to be mostly in stereo though not 5.1. Hopefully that gets sorted soon.

Bernbaum

The majority is HD. The quality is maybe slightly less than Netflix's highest, but barely noticeable, it's 1080P but maybe slightly less bit-rate. I have an issue with slight stutter occasionally but I think that is do with the chromecast (but still something Stan need to address). Also unless you are using an ATV there is currently no 5.1.
Rightyo. My setup has my laptop connected directly to my home theater via HDMI so hopefully no stutter.

Stackboy

I watched the second episode of Better Call Saul last night on Stan through Chromecast. 1080p, no issues.

I sound like a Stan sales rep at times.

Quasar

What notable content does Stan have that Netflix doesn't?

It has some amazon stuff, and deadwood. It has a bunch of local content. And more bbc content than I think netflix has.

I've amused myself with nostalgia dipping into things like 'round the twist.

It has all the tolkien movies. I watched hobbit 2 last night, and it turned out not as bad as I expected. The Jackson original stuff still annoys, as does the Jackson tone change, but thats been there through all 5-6 films.

Darren870

^ My advice would have been to not do that, but it's certainly the simplest method so if you want 0% hassle then do that. Just miss out a few bonuses some smaller banks have.

Yea, but industrian is only here on a Working Holiday Visa, which has an expiry date. The amount of rewards he would see is minimal, and if he can't make the $1000 deposit per month then he loses the free ATM fees and such.

In the end I'd want something simple and with a branch if I knew I wasn't going to be here in a year or two. Especially as a foreigner, there are certain issues.

Just my opinion though

Industrian, whatever you choose make sure you don't leave it too long. I think you have max 6 weeks to open an account here on your passport/visa. After that it becomes a pain in the arse.

legend166

I mentioned last week I was going to start selling some of my old games, anyone want any of this batch?

Baten Kaitos (GCN - NTSC) - $30
Animal Crossing (GCN - NTSC) - $30
Ikaruga (GCN - NTSC) - $50
Tales of Symphonia (GCN - NTSC) - $30

Metroid Prime - (GCN - PAL) - $30
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN - PAL) - $30
Viewtiful Joe (GCN - PAL) - $20
Soul Calibur 2 (GCN - PAL) - $20
Beyond Good & Evil (GCN - PAL) - $35
Wario Ware Inc: Mega Party Games (GCN - PAL) - $15

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) - $20
Sonic Rush (DS) - $10
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) - $25
Castlevania: Order of Eclessia (DS) - $25
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorry (DS) - $25
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS) - $10

I got those prices after having a look at what things went for on eBay, but I'm willing to listen to offers in case they are dumb prices.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Industrian, whatever you choose make sure you don't leave it too long. I think you have max 6 weeks to open an account here on your passport/visa. After that it becomes a pain in the arse.

I didn't know this.

Also, the downside to having a purely electronically-based visa with a British ePassport is that I have no stamp in my passport or anything. I need to carry my boarding pass for my flight wherever I go as evidence of arrival.

Fusebox

Banned
Thx man.

Hey does anyone use the UK estore for their Nintendo for any bizarre reason? I've got a few UK eshop code things. If nobody here wants them I'll just PM them to Smokey Dave or something I guess.

quabba

Thx man.

Hey does anyone use the UK estore for their Nintendo for any bizarre reason? I've got a few UK eshop code things. If nobody here wants them I'll just PM them to Smokey Dave or something I guess.

I use uk eshop on the wii u sometimes but if its 3ds then no im locked into the au eshop there.

The couple of times I've used JB for a preorders they've shipped 'early' but still ended up adhering to the street date. Maybe they'll come early due to Nintendo's insistence on Saturday releases.

Target is going to have Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for $48 each. Nice for people picking up both like myself.

Shaneus

Tonight on SBS2, check out this enthralling documentary based on when Jackie Chan was a mechanic and his sister was kidnapped.
pBwyi6n.png

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
no mh4 or mm for me this month. just realised how much i spent on booze at laneway lol.

also my bogan neighbour just knocked on my door asking if she could talk to me. i was sitting here in my undies so i ignored her.. then she knocked more.. then i saw her peering in to the screen door and i had to point out that i was here... just in my undies and didnt feel like answering the door and how can i help her

asked if i could speak to her, so i said fine, put on some clothes went to the door

then she introd herself blah blah, moneys tight wondering if you could help us out? "dont keep cash on me" "... could you walk to the ATM?" "... i get paid monthly, i'm not really the best person to help here..." "oh shit.. i thought fortnightly was bad"

then she peered through my door and saw a carton of beer "could i grab 2 beers?"

i said. fine. then shes like maybe 4? so i just went ot my fridge and got a 6 pack.

now when i did that she stepped into my door (id been staying in the door frame so she wouldnt look into my property)

now shes seen all my warez :(

i need to call up my insurance tomorrow to make sure its all paid up.

no mh4 or mm for me this month. just realised how much i spent on booze at laneway lol.

also my bogan neighbour just knocked on my door asking if she could talk to me. i was sitting here in my undies so i ignored her.. then she knocked more.. then i saw her peering in to the screen door and i had to point out that i was here... just in my undies and didnt feel like answering the door and how can i help her

asked if i could speak to her, so i said fine, put on some clothes went to the door

then she introd herself blah blah, moneys tight wondering if you could help us out? "dont keep cash on me" "... could you walk to the ATM?" "... i get paid monthly, i'm not really the best person to help here..." "oh shit.. i thought fortnightly was bad"

then she peered through my door and saw a carton of beer "could i grab 2 beers?"

i said. fine. then shes like maybe 4? so i just went ot my fridge and got a 6 pack.

now when i did that she stepped into my door (id been staying in the door frame so she wouldnt look into my property)

now shes seen all my warez :(

i need to call up my insurance tomorrow to make sure its all paid up.

Yeah she was totally sizing up the joint. I would have given her a direct "No." as soon as she started up about having no money. Then if she persists go with "I vote Liberal. Go to Centrelink and ask them."

Also, got no money? Beer is the answer! Really great idea. Sigh.

asking for money from a neighbour you haven't even introduced yourself to before? that's suss

I started watching If You Are The One on my TV's SBS On Demand App, and it's in 4:3. Just checked using the SBS website it's the same. What's up with that?

oh really? do you remember why it becomes a pain?

You are so fucked, holy. Are sure she was an actual neighbour and not some burglar scout?

In other news, I have been enjoying Far Cry 4 this week. I never really enjoyed any of the previous ones, apart from the first on Xbox where you turn into the Hulk (instincts?). I had the original on PC- got bored quickly, had the second one and switched that off after an hour and skipped 3 altogether because it look douchetastic. Blood Dragon was amazing.

One thing, I really hate having to kill the animals in order to level up.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
yeh shes my neighbour, she's lived there for like 18 months.

they're bogan as fuck and povo.

will be locking my amiibos and starcraft 64 away when i leave to work tomorrow.

Darren870

oh really? do you remember why it becomes a pain?

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the 100 point check. I think within 6 weeks you can bypass the check. I checked Nab and they require within 6 weeks.

Who knows, I could be talking out my ass. Wouldn't be the first time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom