• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are so fucked, holy. Are sure she was an actual neighbour and not some burglar scout?

In other news, I have been enjoying Far Cry 4 this week. I never really enjoyed any of the previous ones, apart from the first on Xbox where you turn into the Hulk (instincts?). I had the original on PC- got bored quickly, had the second one and switched that off after an hour and skipped 3 altogether because it look douchetastic. Blood Dragon was amazing.

One thing, I really hate having to kill the animals in order to level up.

It's meta as fuck. Whoa. Just like real life!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
:(

in that case.

people can start calling dibs on my shit. I'll leave anything videogame related to ausgaf. except starcraft 64. i leave that to jaedong

N0VAM0D

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this is a really stupid thing to ask, but can anyone help me figure out how to look for good deals on flights? I've never done this before, and it seems straight forward enough, but whenever I try I'm sort of overwhelmed with choice. halp

Darren870

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this is a really stupid thing to ask, but can anyone help me figure out how to look for good deals on flights? I've never done this before, and it seems straight forward enough, but whenever I try I'm sort of overwhelmed with choice. halp

Where are you looking to go?

HolyCheck

just a major pro tip, close your browser, open up your browser in incognito / private mode. and repeat this when ever you go to search again.

the sites are all scummy and will jack up the prices based on your history/cookies

i tend to just use webjet for an idea, maybe something like adioso too, then normally just go to the airlines site theirselves and run some searches for the days you're looking at!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

I tend to just go on the Qantas website or Flight centre. Worked well for me in the past.

Shaneus

just a major pro tip, close your browser, open up your browser in incognito / private mode. and repeat this when ever you go to search again.

the sites are all scummy and will jack up the prices based on your history/cookies

i tend to just use webjet for an idea, maybe something like adioso too, then normally just go to the airlines site theirselves and run some searches for the days you're looking at!
Holy shit, I had no idea. Any ones in particular? Does the same thing happen for Trivago and other hotel sites?

HolyCheck

Can't remember too much sorry shaneus, I just recall reading an article a while. Back. Some redditors called bullshit, but then a few went and actually documented it occuring on many of the major airlines (mainly American, but one or two mentioned they'd seen it in aus too)

quabba

Any advice on selling off / getting rid of old games and dvds?

I recently gave away a bunch to my partners nephews but I still have a stack of about 20 360 games that I want to get rid of. Stuff like bioshock (1), modern warfare 2, blue dragon, lost odyssey, rock bands etc

I'm considering trading them in to EB to help pay my MM N3DS XL, how much would they give considering they are selling most of these games are $15-20 pre-owned?

I also have a bunch of DVDs to offload, Buffy, Angel, Farscape full series and probably a few other misc titles.

Is ebaying worth the time? I know gumtree is an option but I don't really want to have a bunch of randoms turning up at my house.

I recently gave away a bunch to my partners nephews but I still have a stack of about 20 360 games that I want to get rid of. Stuff like bioshock (1), modern warfare 2, blue dragon, lost odyssey, rock bands etc

I'm considering trading them in to EB to help pay my MM N3DS XL, how much would they give considering they are selling most of these games are $15-20 pre-owned?

I also have a bunch of DVDs to offload, Buffy, Angel, Farscape full series and probably a few other misc titles.

Is ebaying worth the time? I know gumtree is an option but I don't really want to have a bunch of randoms turning up at my house.

Basically fuck all. I'd ring round a few cashies etc and see what they are paying and take it from there.

Let your povo bogan neighbour stick her skanky head into your home and see all the shit you wanna get rid of. It will all be gone by the time you get home from work.

Along with everything else.

Anything you would have preferred not to have been turned into smack money can be regained from the local cashies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

My first rule of ebay is not to list any one item worth more than AU$100 on ebay. It's not worth the risk or the hassle. So if you think something is valued at that, don't list it.

Secondly, PS360 games have little-to-no value unless they're relatively new releases. After ebay and paypal take their cut you'll probably be left thinking "I should have just traded them in instead of having to mail shit out and go through all that hassle."

And your Rock Bands are probably untradeable to game stores. I figure the backroom of your average game store is 50% FIFA/PES/sports games from 2009 and 50% plastic crap from music games.

Gumtree is good. Just arrange to meet at a bus stop or something. But expect them to be cheap cunts and try to get an extra $10 off ("oh, this is all I've got in my wallet...").

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the 100 point check. I think within 6 weeks you can bypass the check. I checked Nab and they require within 6 weeks.

Who knows, I could be talking out my ass. Wouldn't be the first time :)

ah those yeah
They're a pain in the ass for the average Aussie let alone someone who's just gotten here without all the documents they want

skyscanner is good
I booked my flight to Korea last year using Jetabroad. But on the way home I just booked directly through an Airline's website. It just depends. Check out as many websites as you can, comparing prices and stuff. It's tedious but saving a bit of dosh makes it worth it.

Holy shit, thanks this Holy. Never even popped into my head for a second despite it making a lot of sense! Pretty sure even my boss had mentioned this very thing to me in relation to booking hotels so I should have clicked it would be possibly common across other industries.

Meetup at a public place like Maccas. Gumtree will get you the best price with the lowest fees and avoid dealing with Australia Post.

quabba

Meetup at a public place like Maccas. Gumtree will get you the best price with the lowest fees and avoid dealing with Australia Post.

Thanks for the ideas, I am thinking of posting them on the work bulletin board for $10 each or maybe just "pay what you want" see if I can get rid of them quickly.Id rather make someones kid happy than get $1 from EB

N0VAM0D

Where are you looking to go?

Japan! Landing at any of the airports in Tokyo, preferably.

Woah, thank you! That's some really useful advice. Definitely going to give that a go.

I tend to just go on the Qantas website or Flight centre. Worked well for me in the past.

skyscanner is good
I booked my flight to Korea last year using Jetabroad. But on the way home I just booked directly through an Airline's website. It just depends. Check out as many websites as you can, comparing prices and stuff. It's tedious but saving a bit of dosh makes it worth it.

thank you everyone so so much, you've saved me a lot of time!

radaxian

My first rule of ebay is not to list any one item worth more than AU$100 on ebay. It's not worth the risk or the hassle. So if you think something is valued at that, don't list it.

Secondly, PS360 games have little-to-no value unless they're relatively new releases. After ebay and paypal take their cut you'll probably be left thinking "I should have just traded them in instead of having to mail shit out and go through all that hassle."

And your Rock Bands are probably untradeable to game stores. I figure the backroom of your average game store is 50% FIFA/PES/sports games from 2009 and 50% plastic crap from music games.

Gumtree is good. Just arrange to meet at a bus stop or something. But expect them to be cheap cunts and try to get an extra $10 off ("oh, this is all I've got in my wallet...").

Hrm I just mailed off 3 PS1 games which sold for $320 on eBay. I was very careful to get payment via paypal and use signature on delivery etc so it should be ok. If you have some rare but sought after items it's hard to compete with the exposure you get on eBay and the fees are hopefully offset by a better price.

You might want to see if there are any Facebook buy/sell/trade groups in your area too. The same Gumtree precautions apply, but I've actually found the one where I am to be great with a bunch of people regularly selling stuff off much more cheaply than eBay.

But yeah, PS3/360 games are worth nothing these days. DVDs are even worse. There is a reseller in my area that sweeps up things in bulk once the price drops enough which is actually quite handy when you can't be bothered to do the eBay thing.

Sooo in terms of old gaming stuff, what IS actually worth something?

I have heaps of NES stuff, a decent amount of Mega Drive, some Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube. I really need to get rid of some of this stuff in the next few months.

Hrm I just mailed off 3 PS1 games which sold for $320 on eBay. I was very careful to get payment via paypal and use signature on delivery etc so it should be ok. If you have some rare but sought after items it's hard to compete with the exposure you get on eBay and the fees are hopefully offset by a better price.

It doesn't matter, ebay/paypal will always side with the buyer.

r1chard

Ooh, that's not bad.

To be honest though, if it's not for work (and they book everything for me, no control) then I have used an actual travel agent from Perth (Aaron at bonaventure.com.au and yes, I live in Melbourne and still call this guy up) who has found some really good flights in the past.

That skyscanner site looks pretty good though, if you don't want to talk to a person :)

protip: Flight Center's website is *ok* at finding flights, but their agents I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. I had one of them organise my five day NZ ski trip last year and it was cockup after ballsup after non-communication the whole time :/

quabba

the sites are all scummy and will jack up the prices based on your history/cookie searches

Well, my partner said that flights were cheap.then when we go back to book them they are different... I didnt belive it but I might have to admit I was wrong...

Japan! Landing at any of the airports in Tokyo, preferably.

Jetstar 2 for 1 sale was mentioned in the thread not long ago.

I have heaps of NES stuff, a decent amount of Mega Drive, some Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube. I really need to get rid of some of this stuff in the next few months.

I'd buy some (to most) in bulk off you, honestly. Not GG or Saturn, but others yes

markot

Banned
no mh4 or mm for me this month. just realised how much i spent on booze at laneway lol.

also my bogan neighbour just knocked on my door asking if she could talk to me. i was sitting here in my undies so i ignored her.. then she knocked more.. then i saw her peering in to the screen door and i had to point out that i was here... just in my undies and didnt feel like answering the door and how can i help her

asked if i could speak to her, so i said fine, put on some clothes went to the door

then she introd herself blah blah, moneys tight wondering if you could help us out? "dont keep cash on me" "... could you walk to the ATM?" "... i get paid monthly, i'm not really the best person to help here..." "oh shit.. i thought fortnightly was bad"

then she peered through my door and saw a carton of beer "could i grab 2 beers?"

i said. fine. then shes like maybe 4? so i just went ot my fridge and got a 6 pack.

now when i did that she stepped into my door (id been staying in the door frame so she wouldnt look into my property)

now shes seen all my warez :(

i need to call up my insurance tomorrow to make sure its all paid up.

That was code, she is a swinger, she was feeling you out.

radaxian

No idea about NES but selected Mega Drive is valuable, Saturn and Dreamcast holds up ok, and the first party Gamecube stuff is still worth something.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Probably not worth anything and maybe what you don't want to hear, but keep them in good condition. Maybe in 10-20 years you can donate them to a museum.

Edit: I forgot that you mentioned DC. Those games can still fetch a bit of money on ebay. Just make sure you wrap the cases with 1KG of bubble wrap.

Reminds me of getting rid of my vhs collection. All went to the tip. Books at least I could donate to charities.

I had two 17" CRT monitors in my garage that I was willing to give away for free. Charity shops wouldn't take them so it was off to my local recycling place. Also some old PSUs, CD-ROM drives and other relics from early-2000s PC building.

I keep all my video games for all platforms if they're worth "preserving", and even though my parents' garage isn't running out of space I feel that I'm annoying them by having six huge boxes with all my games and Blu-ray movies in there. Especially since I mentioned that I'd copied everything to my PC and they were now just essentially for collection/preservation purposes.

By "preservation" I mean keeping a pristine/backupable copy of it so that in our all-digital future when some games are essentially erased from existence due to licensing and other issues there'll still be a version of it. That and so I can show my kids/grandkids a bit of history.

Maximo

Haven't dealt with EB Games for a very long time but I was passing by and saw Majora's Mask, and hey Im pretty much over Omega Ruby so I was wondering how much I would get for it. $18...Yep I would make more pawning it off on my Street to People passing by.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Let your povo bogan neighbour stick her skanky head into your home and see all the shit you wanna get rid of. It will all be gone by the time you get home from work.

Along with everything else.

Anything you would have preferred not to have been turned into smack money can be regained from the local cashies.
I did same put all my stuff I was getting rid of out front of house couch etc etc walked out hour later was all at the house next door 😁

Gotta love aussie bogan

legend166

Posting again, and adding two new games!

Baten Kaitos (GCN - NTSC) - $30
Animal Crossing (GCN - NTSC) - $30
Ikaruga (GCN - NTSC) - $50
Tales of Symphonia (GCN - NTSC) - $30

Metroid Prime - (GCN - PAL) - $30
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN - PAL) - $30
Viewtiful Joe (GCN - PAL) - $20
Soul Calibur 2 (GCN - PAL) - $20
Beyond Good & Evil (GCN - PAL) - $35
Wario Ware Inc: Mega Party Games (GCN - PAL) - $15

Sonic Rush (DS) - $10
Castlevania: Order of Eclessia (DS) - $25
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorry (DS) - $25

Klonoa (Wii - PAL) - $40
A Boy and His Blob (Wii - PAL) - $40

Darren870

I'm disappointed I missed that! Would have been perfect.

Just wait for the next one. They come up ever 2-3 months. You don't really want to go to Japan in July & August, the humidity will drain you.

I've been here almost a year and just recently have started looking into flights. Trying to get my head around the airlines here, the best way to travel abroad, which Credit Card to get for points and who has to offer the best deals.

Seems like Jetstar and Tiger are the cheapest (not best) for internal flights. You just have to deal with the luggage restrictions and budget service. Tiger is having 2 for 1 flights around Australia between Oct - Dec, a good deal.

For overseas travel there are good deals by NZ Air (US) and Jetstar (Japan). Right now Jetstar is doing a deal to Christchruch for ~$220 return during Ski Season.

Quantas has good deals too every now and then. Right now they have $600 return to Hong Kong and it helps if you get Quantas points, which every Aussie seems to get some way or another.

So yea, if timing doesn't matter for you then I would wait. I would just book based on sales, its really the best way to get a deal in Australia.

If timing does matter, then I'd use the the already mentioned sites or kayak.com. Use them as a base, then go directly on the airlines website and search for the same. Kayak has given me cheaper flights then direct though so I still use that.

As for the whole cookie thing. I've heard it so many times however I've never actually experienced it. I will have to test it out, maybe I'll do that tomorrow when I have two computers in front of me. Doesn't hurt to book via incognito mode though!!

--------------------

On a side note. My dishwasher started tripping the mains in my house. Was running it last night and the fuse box tripped. Now I can't even turn it on with the same thing happening. Any one have any ideas what may be up with it? Was working fine the other day.

Is this what my hard earned Patreon dollars are used for? Ridiculous!
You got EXTRA letters with that money, what more could you want?!

Just wait for the next one. They come up ever 2-3 months. You don't really want to go to Japan in July & August, the humidity will drain you.
I can attest to that. The first time I went to Japan was in early September, and it was 35c in Kyoto with like a million percent humidity. Luckily, sweat rags are in abundance in 100 yen shops, but it's pretty draining.

markot

Banned

I've been here almost a year and just recently have started looking into flights. Trying to get my head around the airlines here, the best way to travel abroad, which Credit Card to get for points and who has to offer the best deals.

Seems like Jetstar and Tiger are the cheapest (not best) for internal flights. You just have to deal with the luggage restrictions and budget service. Tiger is having 2 for 1 flights around Australia between Oct - Dec, a good deal.

For overseas travel there are good deals by NZ Air (US) and Jetstar (Japan). Right now Jetstar is doing a deal to Christchruch for ~$220 return during Ski Season.

Quantas has good deals too every now and then. Right now they have $600 return to Hong Kong and it helps if you get Quantas points, which every Aussie seems to get some way or another.

So yea, if timing doesn't matter for you then I would wait. I would just book based on sales, its really the best way to get a deal in Australia.

If timing does matter, then I'd use the the already mentioned sites or kayak.com. Use them as a base, then go directly on the airlines website and search for the same. Kayak has given me cheaper flights then direct though so I still use that.

As for the whole cookie thing. I've heard it so many times however I've never actually experienced it. I will have to test it out, maybe I'll do that tomorrow when I have two computers in front of me. Doesn't hurt to book via incognito mode though!!

--------------------

On a side note. My dishwasher started tripping the mains in my house. Was running it last night and the fuse box tripped. Now I can't even turn it on with the same thing happening. Any one have any ideas what may be up with it? Was working fine the other day.

Water on some electric part.

I had the same thing with an stove top in a neighbours house, it was just that there was water leaking under the seal onto the electic stuff. Letting it dry and stopping the leak stopped the fuse box from constantly turning off.

Resilient

Posting again, and adding two new games!

Baten Kaitos (GCN - NTSC) - $30
Animal Crossing (GCN - NTSC) - $30
Ikaruga (GCN - NTSC) - $50
Tales of Symphonia (GCN - NTSC) - $30

Metroid Prime - (GCN - PAL) - $30
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN - PAL) - $30
Viewtiful Joe (GCN - PAL) - $20
Soul Calibur 2 (GCN - PAL) - $20
Beyond Good & Evil (GCN - PAL) - $35
Wario Ware Inc: Mega Party Games (GCN - PAL) - $15

Sonic Rush (DS) - $10
Castlevania: Order of Eclessia (DS) - $25
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorry (DS) - $25

Klonoa (Wii - PAL) - $40
A Boy and His Blob (Wii - PAL) - $40

Check your PMs!

N0VAM0D

Yeah, I really don't want to visit around that time of the year! I am looking for a specific time, thinking about May, because I've just started studying again and I don't have very long holidays. I did find a cheap return ticket with Cathay Pacific, but I don't know what their reputation is like or anything. It doesn't help that I'm absolutely terrified of air travel so this is gonna be a significant step for me... I'm going to have to choose my flight wisely.

Probably not worth anything and maybe what you don't want to hear, but keep them in good condition. Maybe in 10-20 years you can donate them to a museum.

Edit: I forgot that you mentioned DC. Those games can still fetch a bit of money on ebay. Just make sure you wrap the cases with 1KG of bubble wrap.

Yeah, there's certain things I don't think I could bring myself to part with. Boxed SMB 2, Mega Man 2 and NG 1 & 2 for NES might need to stay forever.

I just had a bit of a look and some random stuff I have like Ninja Gaiden Master System is kind of valuable because it was never released outside of PAL territories.

Darren870

Yeah, I really don't want to visit around that time of the year! I am looking for a specific time, thinking about May, because I've just started studying again and I don't have very long holidays. I did find a cheap return ticket with Cathay Pacific, but I don't know what their reputation is like or anything. It doesn't help that I'm absolutely terrified of air travel so this is gonna be a significant step for me... I'm going to have to choose my flight wisely.

Cathay Pacific is a great top tier airline. You will have much more relaxed time then you would with Jetstar. May is also a good time to go as it isn't as hot yet. Once you get into June you are pushing it. We were going to go in May but decided to wait till the next sale. We kinda want to see more of Australia plus Japan is fucking expensive.

How much was the ticket?

I did find a cheap return ticket with Cathay Pacific, but I don't know what their reputation is like or anything. It doesn't help that I'm absolutely terrified of air travel so this is gonna be a significant step for me... I'm going to have to choose my flight wisely.

I've flown with them to Europe, they're great. They're to Hong Kong as Qantas is to Australia. I think they generally have a pretty stellar reputation, they won a best airline award last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom