• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always just pegged the popularity of P4G down to it being on vita. I've played both 3 and 4 and neither struck me as games to get as popular as 4 did. Both were just decent jrpg's ontop of the mountain of decent jrpg's that were available on the ps2 to begin with to me.
They were really popular and acclaimed on the ps2. Huge for Atlus, led to a ton of merchandise as well as a TV series.

So I saw Kingsman tonight (only just realised it wasn't called Kingsmen)
When I first heard of it I thought it would be shit, when it was getting good reviews and I realised it was directed by Matthew Vaughn, my expectations increased a bit and got me to go see it. But it was much better than I expected.
The action sequences are blooding amazing, very reminiscent of The World's End. And Kingsman was a lot funnier than I expected to. (Sometimes on accident, but still).
Highly recommend.

Sick of these 2 for 1 flights :(

some of us want to go to japan alone :(

Option 1: Sell your extra on Gumtree and travel with a frugal stranger.
Option 2: Meet a lovely girl and give her the surprise of her life with a free holiday.
Option 3: Extra room on the plane?

Has anyone bought cd keys from Ozgameshop? All good? They have Evolve for $50 on PC.

many times, the only thing is they often won't send it to you till a day or so after its released, then you get and email with a photo of a code.

otherwise, nothing to worry about with these guys

Does anyone know any good/cheap PC repairs in Brisbane? When I try and turn my PC on it just goes into a loop of trying and failing to boot :S

So I saw Kingsman tonight (only just realised it wasn't called Kingsmen)
When I first heard of it I thought it would be shit, when it was getting good reviews and I realised it was directed by Matthew Vaughn, my expectations increased a bit and got me to go see it. But it was much better than I expected.
The action sequences are blooding amazing, very reminiscent of The World's End. And Kingsman was a lot funnier than I expected to. (Sometimes on accident, but still).
Highly recommend.

I agree, everyone should go see it. Looked pretty meh to me too, but it turned out to be an awesome ride. That scene with Colin Firth beating up the westboro baptist church was really something else.

Kritz

Banned
Saw Selma today. That movie's alright. When its scenes hit, they hit hard, and that's kind of what you want in that kind of movie. I'm not really certain it has much lasting impact, and perhaps it was a little too dry in spots, but it was well acted and the emotional moments seemed to work on most of the crowd I was with. And any movie that gives the bunk roles is okay by me.

Wii U.

I amaze even myself.

Teeheehee

Actually when was the firesale? Was that 2012 or 2013? Shit, I've got no idea how long I've had this thing for now :/

Wii would have been 2006, or more likely 2007 since it was sold out everywhere 2006 (was that just the US or here too?).

Fredescu

2007 was the weakest whole year for the Wii. 2009 was the peak but it actually sold twice as many in 2012 as it did in 2007.

Teeheehee

Actually when was the firesale? Was that 2012 or 2013? Shit, I've got no idea how long I've had this thing for now :/

Wii would have been 2006, or more likely 2007 since it was sold out everywhere 2006 (was that just the US or here too?).

The Wii U is like an "old soul". You know, one of those children that seems like an old man from the day they were born.

radaxian

Teeheehee

I grabbed one during the fire sale, but I'd have bought one by now without it. Great machine.

I grabbed one during the fire sale, but I'd have bought one by now without it. Great machine.

I'm one of those weirdos who still thinks the Wii was better than the WiiU so far.

Zelda might change that though.

The Hobbit, at least, was a design choice.

The original trailer has front legs, but when they did the film they changed it.

Smells like THE HOBBIT DIRECTORS CUT EXTENDED EDITION REDUX 'now with added legs!' ')

I'm one of those weirdos who still thinks the Wii was better than the WiiU so far.

At the relative point in their lives, I think Wii U is probably ahead of Wii right now (Mario Galaxy being leaps ahead of 3D World aside). The difference is that Wii U is probably done after this year or midway into next, while we're at the point where the Wii really picked up and had a couple of strong years of releases (between droughts) and even when it slowed down more in the years after that it still had a few gems late in its life.

I'm generally very fond of the Wii and think of it much better than most people seem to, though.

jambo

Silly Jambo! Should have waited for the Extended Extended Editions coming Christmas 2015!

The real thing I'm waiting for is the Tolkien edit

http://definitivehobbitcut.tumblr.com/
https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/
https://ahobbitsholiday.wordpress.com/

• Removed all of Elf-Dwarf Love Triangle Plot
  • Removed all of Gandalf’s necromancer adventures
  • Removed most of orc scenes/battles/mentions in first 2/3’s of the film (including removing frames with orcs from the post-goblin escape scene at the end of “Unexpected Journey”)
  • Removed Bilbo killing a wolf - the first thing he kills is the spider in Mirkwood forest, giving the sword the name “Sting”
  • Removed all of (elder) Bilbo’s introduction to the lore
  • Removed all of the heavy foreshadowing for LOTR and the evil of the ring - kept to the spirit of the book, it was a playful invisibility ring!
  • Added a deleted scene of the Shire villagers as an intro to the film
  • Reduced much of the Dwarves’ dinner at Bilbo’s
  • Created faster transition to Bilbo getting out of the house
  • Reduced Rivendell
  • Reduced Stone Giant scene
  • Reduced goblin scene, re-ordered dialogue to mirror book interactions between Thorin & Goblin King
  • Kept Gollum scene entirely intact - no cutting between that and the goblin lair, although shortened as well as removed Gollum beating the corpse in the beginning
  • Created voice-over transition into Beorn scene at the beginning of “Desolation of Smaug”
  • Reduced Mirkwood forest & Woodland Realm capture scenes
  • Heavily reduced Laketown capture (all of Laketown is about 10 minutes total now)
  • Removed Smaug battle scene with dwarves in the mines (kept Bilbo’s conversation with Smaug, the battle was outrageously cartoonish and long)
  • Removed Bard using his son as a bow, the shots dance around it and the scene is intact
  • Rearranged much of Battle of Five Armies for coherency of Bilbo concealing and giving away the Arkenstone without the need for so many silly slow-motion Thorin bits
  • Removed many elements of the Battle of Five Armies that contained too much CGI monsters or silly battle actions (like repeated head-butting)
  • Reduced and rearranged the battle to get to Thorin quicker
  • Removed elves from the final fight scene (Kili fights the orc in order to protect Bilbo instead of his elf love interest)
  • Removed final flash-forward scene, the film ends with Bilbo finally coming home

Dead Man

• Removed most of orc scenes/battles/mentions in first 2/3’s of the film (including removing frames with orcs from the post-goblin escape scene at the end of “Unexpected Journey”)
  • Removed Bilbo killing a wolf - the first thing he kills is the spider in Mirkwood forest, giving the sword the name “Sting”
  • Removed all of the heavy foreshadowing for LOTR and the evil of the ring - kept to the spirit of the book, it was a playful invisibility ring!
  • Reduced Rivendell
  • Reduced goblin scene, re-ordered dialogue to mirror book interactions between Thorin & Goblin King
  • Kept Gollum scene entirely intact - no cutting between that and the goblin lair, although shortened as well as removed Gollum beating the corpse in the beginning
  • Created voice-over transition into Beorn scene at the beginning of “Desolation of Smaug”
  • Heavily reduced Laketown capture (all of Laketown is about 10 minutes total now)
  • Removed Smaug battle scene with dwarves in the mines (kept Bilbo’s conversation with Smaug, the battle was outrageously cartoonish and long)
  • Removed Bard using his son as a bow, the shots dance around it and the scene is intact
  • Rearranged much of Battle of Five Armies for coherency of Bilbo concealing and giving away the Arkenstone without the need for so many silly slow-motion Thorin bits
  • Removed many elements of the Battle of Five Armies that contained too much CGI monsters or silly battle actions (like repeated head-butting)
  • Removed elves from the final fight scene (Kili fights the orc in order to protect Bilbo instead of his elf love interest)
  • Removed final flash-forward scene, the film ends with Bilbo finally coming home

Only seen the first Hobbit movie, but that sounds fantastic.

jambo

Only seen the first Hobbit movie, but that sounds fantastic.

There's a version out now, but don't bother getting it. It uses an Oscar DVD source so the last 3rd of the film looks shit.

In April/May when the Blu-ray of Five Armies comes out, they will release a full 1080P Tolkien Edit =D

• Reduced Rivendell

Yeah I only saw the first Hobbit movie and found it so messy I was hoping this would happen. The thread in OT has me super keen to give it a watch once the blu ray hits.

hamchan

The Hobbit trilogy is one film series that really does need a fan edit. Awful awful films that have a potentially good film inside it.

senahorse

Indeed they were. I really enjoyed the LOTR trilogy, not perfect but fine in my opinion, I saw every one on release day in the theater. When I heard the Hobbit was to be stretched into 3 movies as well, alarm bells started ringing, 3 movies adapted from a book that is smaller than any one of the LOTR books. Still, I went to see the first on release day, and I left mildly disappointed, but, I decided to give the next a chance, albeit a week after release. That second movie, urgh, just horrible...I still haven't bothered with the third.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've been in Gold Coast for a few hours now. With a lot of that at the airport. :/

Either way, I'm enjoying myself so far. Had a good lunch and a walk on the beach. Still got that "the floor/room is shaking" aftereffect from my flight though.

Yeah I'm fine with LOTR movies. They took some stuff out, muddled with others, etc. Totally should be 3 movies. Hobbit was just a few steps way too far.

RE: industrian. Welcome to our lovely country! Hope things are nice and pleasant.

I've been in Gold Coast for a few hours now. With a lot of that at the airport. :/

Either way, I'm enjoying myself so far. Had a good lunch and a walk on the beach. Still got that "the floor/room is shaking" aftereffect from my flight though.

Go for a swim. The water is a beautiful temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom