• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruncho

It's one of those things, some times I find it hard to justify.

Like I love Beck, but he's fairly high up in the Church of Scientology and they've done some horrible things.

But then he goes and releases Morning Phase.

Wait. He's a scientologist? So conflicted D:

Dimefan3

I remain torn on whether I go to Soundwave this weekend.
On the one hand, it's the last chance I'll get to see it in Adelaide, it's been so long since I've been to a festival, and there are some bands on the lineup I'd quite like to see.
On the other hand, it's going to be infernally hot, and there's no single act that I'm really committed to seeing. It also takes up my whole weekend, and will probably leave me incapacitated come Monday.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go in Melbourne. Mainly because it's going to eat up my whole weekend, which with my current job (I've been pulling 9-10 hours everyday for the last 4 weeks) spare time is very precious to me. Also four of the bands I want to see (Soundgarden, Faith No More, Lamb of God and Dragonforce) are on at the same time.

And let's not get into the transport debacle. Even if I wanted to drive apparently there's a '4 people minimum' rule with car parking.

Thinking I might just go on Saturday. At least the Foo Fighters don't clash with anything next weekend.

Damn, cyclones in both QLD and NT. I hope everything is going to turn out okay :(
Yeah same here. Until then I get to snuggle up under my doona because it's cold and rainy and the weekend though! :3

I remain torn on whether I go to Soundwave this weekend.
On the one hand, it's the last chance I'll get to see it in Adelaide, it's been so long since I've been to a festival, and there are some bands on the lineup I'd quite like to see.
On the other hand, it's going to be infernally hot, and there's no single act that I'm really committed to seeing. It also takes up my whole weekend, and will probably leave me incapacitated come Monday.
mmm. Have you thought about just doing a couple of side waves? Probably works out cheaper and most of them are on at night.

Yeah, I probably won't be going this year due to the terrible response from supanova. Not to mention trying to call a journo who wrote about it out on his so called "gamer-cred":
It5QGUY.png

To be honest though supanova hasn't been terribly fun for a while though. You pay a lot of money to go in and spend a lot more money on stuff you can generally get cheaper online anyway :/

hidys

Yeah, I probably won't be going this year due to the terrible response from supanova. Not to mention trying to call a journo who wrote about it out on his so called "gamer-cred":

To be honest though supanova hasn't been terribly fun for a while though. You pay a lot of money to go in and spend a lot more money on stuff you can generally get cheaper online anyway :/

I remember seeing this on twitter.

Absolutely pathetic and I hope their numbers drop this year.

Still can't believe they would invite Adam Baldwin after everything he has done.

I remember seeing this on twitter.

Absolutely pathetic and I hope their numbers drop this year.

Still can't believe they would invite Adam Baldwin after everything he has done.

If you think people outside of hardcore gamers knew much about GG or Baldwin's involvement months ago when he was likely invited, you're overthinking it.

why was Baldwin invited? So they can say they have three guests from Firefly! Nathan Fillion and Morena Baccarin-Pwned. She doesn't have to take my name, but it'd be nice.

Gold Coast might redress it for some with some internet sensation guy.

Axiom

I love Kat Dennings, but can't stand 2 Broke Girls. I've tried though, for obvious reasons. And I'm someone who doesn't hate Big Bang Theory, so just imagine how terrible it is.

Most everyone you ever like is going to turn out to be a terrible person, you learn this from being a fan of wrestling.
It's just Twitter ensures we know years earlier than we used to.

Corey Feldman was at one of these cons and had some 9/11 conspiracy stuff behind his autograph booth, so it's not like politics don't come with these guys that people just ignore - but inviting Baldwin is just tone-deaf to the community.

If he wasn't so damn vocal about it, people would just ignore it like the Foo Fighter's being anti-vaxers (though not sure if they still are) and the aforementioned Beck being a Scientologist.

Baldwin just can't keep his stupid mouth shut though so he doesn't allow anyone to just pretend he's Jayne and thus just toxic.

and it sucks, because the line-up this year is really fucking good.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I hear he was born into the cult of scientology though so people seem to cut him a bit of slack for that

born into it, his parents were members.

and pretty much the only time he's ever discussed it in interviews / when ever... is when people directly ask him about it.

Jintor

born into it, his parents were members.

and pretty much the only time he's ever discussed it in interviews / when ever... is when people directly ask him about it.

if he doesn't proslethyse and he's not sea org he can do whatever he likes i guess

I haven't been keeping up with xenu so I don't know if scilons have splintered again into CoS and people who just happen to believe in volcano exploding thetans but aren't also scammy cult psychos, but I hope he just happens to believe in weird things and not the other stuff

legend166

Right, I thought, I'll catch up on my Marvel Universe TV shows tonight...

Except all the torrent sites I used to use are down :(

And I can't figure out whether *any* of the paid streaming TV services in Oz (or even the ones not in Oz via VPN) have the Marvel TV shows on them...

Anyone lend me a clue?

Turns out, he plays a misogynist asshole in Firefly. And he is one! The only difference is that in a Joss Whedon screenplay he can be made lovable :/

You mustn't have looked very hard! Hulu has them. Netflix Denmark has Agent Carter.

I really can't stomach 2 Broke Girls, not shocked they pull some racist shit like that, pretty sure they had been in trouble in the past but pulled the "it's popular so it isn't racist" card.

Gold Coast might redress it for some with some internet sensation guy.

Wow the Melbourne lineup takes a giant shit over the Sydney one. Not a Trek guy but I'd still enjoy hearing those people talk. Also Doc Brown would be insane. Charisma Carpenter still looks great! Her run on Angel really went to shit :(

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
mmm. Have you thought about just doing a couple of side waves? Probably works out cheaper and most of them are on at night.
Adelaide doesn't get side waves. Also he's decided he's not going. Also it's 40c both days of soundwave. Pray for us, guys ;__;

So I was charged full price instead of the 20% off on that target ebay sale, stupid ebay mobile site recognized the coupon at the start, just not when it processed the payment, weird. Sent a message to target via ebay so hopefully they can fix it up. Not too bothered either way as their return policy seems pretty good.

Bernbaum

So I was charged full price instead of the 20% off on that target ebay sale, stupid ebay mobile site recognized the coupon at the start, just not when it processed the payment, weird. Sent a message to target via ebay so hopefully they can fix it up. Not too bothered either way as their return policy seems pretty good.

Are you sure? Check your bank statement. One of the email receipts I was emailed for my WiiU listed the full price but the transaction was with the discount.

Well turns out their call center is open on a Saturday. They can't refund the 20% without a copy of the bank statement showing the amount, or reverse the whole transaction as its gone to far through the process.

Talk about a run around. I'll just wait for it to get shipped and then return it. Was really expecting it to be a simple process.

Mr. Tone

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go in Melbourne. Mainly because it's going to eat up my whole weekend, which with my current job (I've been pulling 9-10 hours everyday for the last 4 weeks) spare time is very precious to me. Also four of the bands I want to see (Soundgarden, Faith No More, Lamb of God and Dragonforce) are on at the same time.

And let's not get into the transport debacle. Even if I wanted to drive apparently there's a '4 people minimum' rule with car parking.

Thinking I might just go on Saturday. At least the Foo Fighters don't clash with anything next weekend.

I decided that instead of going to Soundwave I would go to Costco and buy myself a new recliner. I will now not move for the rest of the day.

r1chard

You mustn't have looked very hard! Hulu has them. Netflix Denmark has Agent Carter.
Hulu didn't work - I assumed it was blocked.

And Netflix Denmark?! Seriously?!?!

Big thanks to everyone who came along to make RingwoodGAF a success today. We played, in order: King of New York, Small World, Machi Koro, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Tsuro (twice) and Love Letter! A great day, let's do it again some time :)

Edit: RingwoodGAF, just getting started (Small World):

DkxTyMo.jpg

(yes, that's a balloonicorn)

I finished Far Cry 4 tonight. First Far Cry I finished and enjoyed if you discount Blood Dragon.

I would have The Order but it didn't turn up at the post office. Maybe Monday. Need something short to play anyway.

Dimefan3

Just had to trek from Melbourne Showgrounds to Newmarket Station because every tram that passed was full. Then get off at Melbourne Central because Flinders Street was 'full', then found out I had to walk two blocks on Collins Street to catch a tram because of the White Night festival, and finally got home just after midnight.

Unless I'm in Sydney next year Soundwave can get fucked.

At least the Foo Fighters will be relatively easy to get to next week.

Jintor

if you scroll through @mrserrels's atmentions you'll see he's getting carpet bombed by Baldwin fans for writing an article on the whole supernova thing

he didn't even editorialise, he just reported on it too

Bernbaum

you two are legends

Canadian Netflix seems to have most of the shit I wanna watch so I leave Hola set to that.

Netflix has recently removed the entire original animated Transformers series so naturally my life has lost all direction and I've hit rock bottom.

Kritz

Banned
if you scroll through @mrserrels's atmentions you'll see he's getting carpet bombed by Baldwin fans for writing an article on the whole supernova thing

oh, brilliant, was waiting for my daily dose of wahjah

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Was anyone in ausgaf using snapraid? I thought it was mentioned a while ago, Not sure if anyone actually went with it.

Canadian Netflix seems to have most of the shit I wanna watch so I leave Hola set to that.

Netflix has recently removed the entire original animated Transformers series so naturally my life has lost all direction and I've hit rock bottom.

Do they still have the movie up there?

Only the first 25 minutes of that movie is worth watching. Fact.

The last hour of that movie is what brings ruin. And suffering. And despair.

At least they're uniformly bad.

The beginning of the animated movie sets up hopes and expectations to be dashed against the rocks of gen 2 offensiveness.

At least they're uniformly bad.

The beginning of the animated movie sets up hopes and expectations to be dashed against the rocks of gen 2 offensiveness.

Yeah the animated movie really is the high point of the entire franchise. Really love what they did in that movie. Lightning in a bottle! They made the best of their limitations and created a really interesting piece of media because of them.

Just realised soundwave had a bunch of J-rock bands this year. I'm a little sad I didn't buy tickets, these bands are awesome!

That was way more funny than it should have been.

Totally lost it at wario.

and then again at ness.

wow, just reading though this, what bullshit. Does no one have any empathy at all?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom