• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
i still can't tell if comment culture is a boon or a disservice to humanity

it's like someone goes into your house and flips the living room rug and a thousand cockroaches come stirring out - if nobody flipped the rug, the cockroaches would still be there, you just wouldn't see 'em.

on the bright side, it's probably easier to fix a problem now everyone can see it.

Shaneus

Wow the Melbourne lineup takes a giant shit over the Sydney one. Not a Trek guy but I'd still enjoy hearing those people talk. Also Doc Brown would be insane. Charisma Carpenter still looks great! Her run on Angel really went to shit :(
Pretty much. I think there's a pinball thing there so I'll probably go, but no idea whether I'll see any of the special guests or not. Shame they couldn't get Fillion there, he'd top off that Melbourne lineup as being the most solid ever.

Backed it via KS :) Only because it came with the soundtrack with songs from Ronald Jenkees in it.

i still can't tell if comment culture is a boon or a disservice to humanity

There have always been "Letters to the Editor" in newspapers, magazines and comics, and in the era before email and the like, everyone was used to having to write letters.

And there would have been crazies then. Only a few letters would appear in a paper or magazine each issue and of course, they were selected (and moderated) from the available correspondence so the craziest of the crazy letters were never seen by other readers. Also, most publications would not print a letter without a name and address (you could have your name withheld from publication, but you had to give it to be considered for publication). You used to see, particularly in newspapers, the same people's letters published again and again, probably because their letters were well written comments on news stories.

Fast forward to now and since it's instant, it goes up on the site and may be moderated, but probably not. And it's probably anonymous. Logging in with your google or facebook account might have removed the anonymous nature, but it hasn't stopped people being total tits. And then there's the comment wars.

Why would you allow commenters to argue with each other? Because every time they check the responses to their comments, they've visiting the website again. More clicks.
I back this up with an anecdote. 5 years ago, I made a short silly film about comparing Kinect Vs Move (before either had been released). It wasn't remotely serious in anyway shape or form. 436, 000 views later, it has 1700 comments, almost none are about the video, they are usually people just drive bys "Move is Better" or "Kinect rocks."

Someone posts something so stupid, there are so many people who have the compulsion to counter it immediately. You get some people, who will not allow a comment that disagrees with their own beliefs to go unchallenged (rhymes with cock) Twitter is the same but with a different business model.

tl;dr: comments drive traffic for websites by getting OCD people to comeback again and again.

Kritz

Banned
Y
o
u
c
a
n
p
u
t
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
i
n
s
i
d
e
o
f
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
?

It doesn't work so well when you just highlight the text.

Do you urgently need a new video card, Stackboy? We are likely only 1-2 months away from AMD's new product range launches, which will if nothing else drop prices on Nvidia's range.

Dryk

Do you urgently need a new video card, Stackboy? We are likely only 1-2 months away from AMD's new product range launches, which will if nothing else drop prices on Nvidia's range.
How big a price drop are we talking about? Because I've been putting off getting a new card for far too long now. Defense Grid 2 and Ethan Carter made my 560Ti cry.

How big a price drop are we talking about? Because I've been putting off getting a new card for far too long now. Defense Grid 2 and Ethan Carter made my 560Ti cry.

No idea. Depends how good the AMD cards are and how they impact sales. We're expecting 2 new AMD chips then rebadged older chips shuffling down the line (probably the current R9 290X -> 380X, R9 290 -> 380 etc). The R9 290X is a bit power hungry but quite powerful, basically as good as 980 and in some ways better (at high resolutions mainly). Their price will likely drop too.

Stackboy

Not desperately. I currently have a GTX 760, its just showing its age a little with Evolve. Thanks for the headsup.

Dryk

So I just discovered a flaw in the coding of a local boardgame supply website while trying to figure out what to use to fill out the last $8 to qualify for free shipping. If you Continue Shopping after the site calculates shipping it adds it (about $10) to your order total enabling you to count the shipping cost towards the free shipping threshold. Then it lets you select free shipping and recalculates the order total with it.

I should probably tell them...

I got my new 3DS XL I didn't need from Target today. Like an idiot I did a transfer before I could confirm I could even take off the back cover (not really like an idiot, it was damn easy on the new 3DS Jr). Anyway, did the transfer and it asked me to move the memory stick to the new XL to finish off the process. Try to unscrew the back, first screw goes ok but the other one is jammed in. Same size screwdriver wouldn't budge. Now I've gotta wait another week so I can transfer back and return this thing. Also when I get around to doing that, since the main SD card with the stuff in it won't be in the source system I have no idea what'll become of my save files.

Oh god! I had a good week of binging on Monster Hunter before going back to uni. Someone at least tell me my SD card won't get wiped on the way back.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Woke up, watched the UFC, went for a run, went to Coles, then just chilled in the pool.

I'm beginning to like this Australian lifestyle of mine.

MoonGred

Urgh someone made a thread on Ozbargain about Feep's free game give-away. Please tell me new account don't get approved within 24h.

MoonGred

It's manual, and not on a fixed schedule. Very very unlikely though.

Thank god, some guy made a comment saying it was all automated, which got me worried for a sec. I'm all for getting a bargain, but feep's taking a massive gamble and the last thing I'd want is for people to take advantage of his offer.

Edit: just saw your comment on ozb Mutes

Resilient

Urgh someone made a thread on Ozbargain about Feep's free game give-away. Please tell me new account don't get approved within 24h.

Haha. That site is handy but damn they can take it a bit far sometimes. Like, lol at going through those hoops for a free copy of the game.

Don't ever read comments at ozbargain.

Fredescu

Umart's one of the ones that comes up in the staticice comparisons a lot. The shipping kills them for me though. Fortunately I have an MSY 10 minutes away ;)

From the days of hours long line ups at MSY Auburn, I don't bother with them anymore. I'm sure your local is better. I have two Umarts 10-15 minutes away, and two Arcs (Sydney only) 5-10 minutes away. Both allowed online order with store pickup before MSY did, so I've never bothered going back to MSY and I've never really had a reason to.

MSY also had some fun with the ACCC, but I'm sure all these grey import stores were doing the same thing and just weren't as high profile as MSY. So I don't really count that as a mark against them.

Dryk

Edit: RingwoodGAF, just getting started (Small World):

DkxTyMo.jpg

(yes, that's a balloonicorn)

My friends and I got two games in last night :D

senahorse

From the days of hours long line ups at MSY Auburn, I don't bother with them anymore. I'm sure your local is better. I have two Umarts 10-15 minutes away, and two Arcs (Sydney only) 5-10 minutes away. Both allowed online order with store pickup before MSY did, so I've never bothered going back to MSY and I've never really had a reason to.

MSY also had some fun with the ACCC, but I'm sure all these grey import stores were doing the same thing and just weren't as high profile as MSY. So I don't really count that as a mark against them.

I am pretty lucky in that I have a Umart and MSY both within 5 minutes. The difference for me is Umart is in a busy shopping district and MSY is in a backwater industrial estate. Needless to say I usually go to MSY (rarely wait longer than a few minutes), customer service is virtually non-existent but we don't go there for that of course :)

Fredescu

I am pretty lucky in that I have a Umart and MSY both within 5 minutes. The difference for me is Umart is in a busy shopping district and MSY is in a backwater industrial estate. Needless to say I usually go to MSY (rarely wait longer than a few minutes), customer service is virtually non-existent but we don't go there for that of course :)

Nice. Your MSY sounds like my Umart. Industrial area, never busy, plenty of parking.

Stackboy

You're in brissy right? Have a look at Umart.

Yeah I think I'm going to go either umart or computer alliance, in Brisbane.

Feels weird to be spending this much on a graphics card, but its going to be worthwhile.

This shit needs to go in the OP :)

http://www.msy.com.au/ are one of the best range/price and are all over the place.

Edit: if you *must* buy online the use http://staticice.com.au to comparison-shop.

Thanks for the help!

lol more like six to eight months

It took about 12 months to get my access. Was a lurker for ages before that too.

I finally saw Whiplash tonight. Fantastic. The music is amazing and J.K. Simmons is brilliant.

Saw it recently too and glad it lived up to the hype.

Cancelled my STAN subscription. I've seen mostly everything they have. Streaming quality wasn't consistent. New seasons of ongoing shows were not available. Movie selection was average at best.

Back to Netflix. House of cards weekend coming up!

Darren870

Over the past 3 weeks I've transformed my back garden. Originally it was just an overgrown mess and now its finally something. Just need some furniture and a BBQ and I will be a real Aussie.

Will have to have a GAF meetup one day!

Before:
ocgTXF2.jpg

After:
HoO5FTv.jpg

Woke up, watched the UFC, went for a run, went to Coles, then just chilled in the pool.

I'm beginning to like this Australian lifestyle of mine.

one of us! one of us! Soon you will become incapable of wearing shoes around the suburbs. Embrace your inner hobbit.

Over the past 3 weeks I've transformed my back garden. Originally it was just an overgrown mess and now its finally something. Just need some furniture and a BBQ and I will be a real Aussie.

Will have to have a GAF meetup one day!

wow that looks awesome! Lovely use of space. Is that a vege garden?

Stackboy

I'm being slowly convinced to buy a new monitor too for my PC, but I think that will have to wait until later in the year.

Going to be so nice to have a sweet PC for Battlefront at the end of the year!

Darren870

wow that looks awesome! Lovely use of space. Is that a vege garden?

Damn darren that's some better homes and gardens shiznit. good job

No matter how that looks I can't get interested in garden makeovers if there isn't an underprivileged family involved

Thanks guys! Yea its a veggies in the front and fruit trees in the back. Going to grow the trees up the trellis in the back. See how it works out, everything is just an experiment but its growing pretty well. Cost us a little under $1000 in total for everything.

Don't worry, I had an underprivileged family do the heavy lifting. Didn't want to hurt myself.
I kid! I kid!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody know if JB is doing a 2-for-1 trade in on The Order or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom