• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
nope

because like an idiot i assumed digital goods were auto-registered with club nintendo but nope u gotta surveeeeyyyy and I was outside the necessary time period

bleh

they were registered... but they specifically asked that you fill out the survey!

there were emails!

there were posts here!

Rubixcuba

Banned
Hey duders, so this was the prebuilt PC I mentioned a page or two ago from PC Case Gear.
Specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 4590 Processor
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Motherboard
Graphics: ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II 4GB
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FWK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) White
Storage:Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD
H: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 Gold 650W Power Supply
Case: NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case White
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30782

It retails at $1399, the parts cost about $1350 if I were to buy individually. I asked the PC Building thread on Gaming, but was wondering what anyone here thought about the build in regard to price. Cheers ya mates.

HolyCheck

0qCNhKB.png

ahahahahah

Hey duders, so this was the prebuilt PC I mentioned a page or two ago from PC Case Gear.
Specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 4590 Processor
Graphics: ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II 4GB
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FWK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) White
Storage:Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD
H: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 Gold 650W Power Supply
Case: NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case White
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30782

It retails at $1399, the parts cost about $1350 if I were to buy individually. I asked the PC Building thread on Gaming, but was wondering what anyone here thought about the build in regard to price. Cheers ya mates.

It's not a bad build. The lighting is totally unnecessary. The SSD / HDD / RAM isn't quite as premium as the CPU/GPU is. Price wise, for those specs in Australia it's good. Also note that there is no DVD drive, if you need one. That mobo/CPU is incapable of overclocking, if you wanted to be able to do that.

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=412908&action=wish_lists << ~1550 dollar list

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=412907&action=wish_lists << ~1700 dollar list

The first one uses the same case/ram/gpu, but has a mobo+cpu taht supports overclocking (CPU is slightly better even without it), as well as a 512gb Crucial SSD instead of a cheapo kingston one+1TB HDD. The second has 16GB RAM, and a personal favorite case of mine (well I had an earlier edition in the same range but they're still reportedly excellent).

I personally recommend investing in a generous SSD then bolting on an HDD later if you need the extra space (or making do with whatever external drive you have lying around for media).

Rubixcuba

Banned
Hmm, yeah the lighting stuff that comes with most 'gaming' cases is always a turn off. I'll take the recommendation about the SSD on board, although I'm probably leaning towards the prebuilt as budget is at its end. It seems like it'll be able to run things like Witcher 3 at a decent setting and last a few years before a upgrade.

Hmm, yeah the lighting stuff that comes with most 'gaming' cases is always a turn off. I'll take the recommendation about the SSD on board, although I'm probably leaning towards the prebuilt as budget is at its end. It seems like it'll be able to run things like Witcher 3 at a decent setting and last a few years before a upgrade.

If you don't mind building yourself:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=412918&action=wish_lists

1450, with slightly over double SSD capacity, otherwise the same system, sans lights. If you already have windows you can reuse, or can get it cheaper elsewhere, you can cut out 135 dollars from that.

radaxian

Yo guys I just bought Majoras Mask. I'm guessing it doesn't come with an instruction book? Or did Target forget.

I bought it from Target tonight too, I couldn't resist at $48 knowing it's unlikely to get much lower for a long time. I sold my Majora N64 cart in the last week which easily paid for this version.

Yep no paper manual it's on the cart.

Dryk

I would be okay with Nintendo ditching paper manuals if their digital manuals were worth the paper they're not printed on.

Ingram

Thanks to your post I spent a good 2 hours going through all the parts you picked and getting myself familar with todays hardware. Been a good 5+ years since I built a PC.

I was wondering though what's a good monitor to go for these days? It seems 1440P is the next big thing. Would this system be up for it or would I need 2 Video Cards?

I use a g sync 1080p, but holdoff for now on that since standards are settling atm.

Not sure what the best regular monitors are. But a single high end card is adequate for 1440p.

Rubixcuba

Banned
If you don't mind building yourself:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=412918&action=wish_lists

1450, with slightly over double SSD capacity, otherwise the same system, sans lights. If you already have windows you can reuse, or can get it cheaper elsewhere, you can cut out 135 dollars from that.

Changes! I've taken on board your recommendation regarding SSD situation and advice from PC Gaf in using Centre Com to make a custom build:
CPU: Intel i5-4690 3.50GHZ
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB
Memory: Kit Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 8GB (4GBx2)
Storage: Western Digital 1TB Blue 3.5"
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5"
Power Supply: Corsair VS650 650W
Case: Thermaltake Black Versa H24 Mid Tower Case ( USB3.0 )
Cost = $1505 (Prebuilt fee of $85 included)

As I'm not interested in overclocking and a bit time poor to build myself, this one looks likely.

Changes! I've taken on board your recommendation regarding SSD situation and advice from PC Gaf in using Centre Com to make a custom build:
CPU: Intel i5-4690 3.50GHZ
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB
Memory: Kit Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 8GB (4GBx2)
Storage: Western Digital 1TB Blue 3.5"
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5"
Power Supply: Corsair VS650 650W
Case: Thermaltake Black Versa H24 Mid Tower Case ( USB3.0 )
Cost = $1505 (Prebuilt fee of $85 included)

As I'm not interested in overclocking and a bit time poor to build myself, this one looks likely.

If the MX100 256gb SSD is the same price or cheaper, go with that. But if it's more than like 5 dollars more don't bother.

Looks like a solid build though!

Cerity

fyi you can pickup windows for $20-25 at a subreddit that might rhyme with bicrosoftmoftwaretop. They're actual retail keys, not msdnaa or whatever.

Rezbit

I bought it from Target tonight too, I couldn't resist at $48 knowing it's unlikely to get much lower for a long time. I sold my Majora N64 cart in the last week which easily paid for this version.

Yep no paper manual it's on the cart.

Yeah didn't think it would. Bit of a bummer!

I would be okay with Nintendo ditching paper manuals if their digital manuals were worth the paper they're not printed on.

Haha. But it's true :(. Bring back the detailed manual! I miss the chunky ones you used to get with PC games that pretty much explained all the games systems.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Does anyone know anything about if Hotline Miami 2 Steam codes from GMG or wherever will work fine here? I've bought codes on Amazon in the past that were US only and they worked fine but I think I heard something about them cracking down on that sort of thing recently.

So as not to feel forgotten I'll answer your question. GMG Steam codes work perfectly fine no matter what "region" it states it as. Unless its suddenly a Russian key, though GMG doesn't deal in those.

I recommend using Hola Internet extension and putting yourself as US, so as to buy Hotline Miami 2.

Gazunta

BrisGAF: Final (I swear) reminder that Minicomicon is on tomorrow :) Come by the Edge Lab 2 at the State Library and learn how to make comics! I'm even giving a tutorial on lettering good lord oh shit I better write that now while I think of it.

(Also, thanks Xn305! Exciting!)

Also, here is a comic about Terry's Big Adventure if people like that kind of thing?

I realised last night the only Steam games I actually have installed now that I am on just the Surface Pro 2 are Burnout Paradise and Pinball FX 2. hahaha video games.

I don't see how anyone could possibly see black on that dress unless the device they are viewing on has colour accuracy issues. Gold and white blue (probably white, looks blue due to lighting)

jambo

I don't see how anyone could possibly see black on that dress unless the device they are viewing on has colour accuracy issues. Gold and white blue (probably white, looks blue due to lighting)

It's to do with the set up of cones and rods in your eyes and how that effects your brains interpretation of the image.

The dress itself is black and blue. Your perception of it depends on how much of a soul you have (soulless people see gold everywhere, some kind of biblical curse apparently).

HolyCheck

reddits view is that gold and white is peoples brains not processing the light properly.

so you're the nut job!

legend166

I got a Chromecast today. It's a pretty nifty little device. Even if I could only use it for YouTube it would be worth it. I did manage to get Netflix and Hulu up and running too so that's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom