• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Apple watch, starting price $500 haha no, and you need to charge it every day.

I found it an interesting event from the perspective of the post Jobs era Apple. From this I expect their car if its ever real will be a BMW/Merc competitor.

As for the watch, well I'm clearly not in the target market. But then I still don't get smart watches. But I'm an adult whose never had any interest in wearing watches full stop. And this is a addon for a $1000 dollar phone and has little utility at present for me.

Maybe I'll feel different after we see a few generations of smart watches. But at present the whole category is like (or even less than) the 1G iPod.

Speaking of space movies. I went and saw Jupiter Ascending at the movies the other day. It was terrible. But so terrible it was good

jambo

If you wanna see a good scifi flick then check out Europa Report. Really surprised me.

Also for those needing final confirmation

pAY1UXd.png

senahorse

It'll sell like hotcakes regardless of what it costs. It's Apple.

Of course it will, it will be a status symbol.

A symbol that tells me who to avoid :p

Telstra are more likely to slow speeds on Netflix content rather than make it unmetered lol

This really wouldn't surprise me with this awful company. Deaf don't you have the NBN? And you chose to go with Telstra, at least I have an excuse of not having a realistic choice :(

markot

Banned
Netflix has unbreakable kimmy schmidt.

Stan has community.

Amazon has whatever when it comes out.

HBO Go has its stuff.

And I thought foxtel was expensive >_<

jambo

Netflix has unbreakable kimmy schmidt.

Stan has community.

Amazon has whatever when it comes out.

HBO Go has its stuff.

And I thought foxtel was expensive >_<

Netflix is $9

Hulu Plus is $8

HBO Go is $15 a month (only on Apple TV for now)

Amazon instand Video is $8~

DNS trickery is $5~

Total is $45 USD so about $58.

To get Foxtel and the Drama pack to get GoT and then HD so it matches those services would cost you $55. You would still miss out on a tonne of content and any that was available would often require you to record it, which costs another $10 a month, pushing it above the various streaming services.

We currently only get Netflix and Hulu Plus and that is more content than we could ever need.

Not too D-grade? I've been passing over this one since watching the trailer and your comment will likely have me rent to watch...

I really enjoyed it. It's found footage and the timeline jumps around a little, but it's done a lot better than most. The science in it is pretty spot on too, which helps a lot.

Kritz

Banned
what's a good $400-600 or $700-800 laptop to be used by my father? His usecases are pretty much microsoft office and google chrome (+ streaming videos). Needs at least a few USB ports, ideally a HDMI port, dvd drive, and to be about 15".

markot

Banned
Also 'quota free' malarkey full.

They said steam was quota free, zip bang boom, out of gigs for the month. 'oh some games aren't on our servers so they count!' pshaw.

Also why is 'gold' an acceptable colour for tech these days? Whats that about? And airplane peanuts.

jambo

They said steam was quota free, zip bang boom, out of gigs for the month. 'oh some games aren't on our servers so they count!' pshaw.

Steam is hard as the Steam back-end will try and find the game from any server. If you list an Aussie one as your preferred it will check their first, but if it can't find it or the server is under too much strain it will move to another one, which might be overseas.

This is completely out of Internode's control, so they just have to say quota free Steam with an asterisk. There are thousands of Steam servers around the world, so it's too big an ask to have them all unmetered. The Aussie ones are on their own CDN so it's easy.

Steam Limiter is very good at stopping Steam from downloading off of overseas servers.

Also why is 'gold' an acceptable colour for tech these days? Whats that about? And airplane peanuts.

iinet?

Yeah, it's a bit dodgy and it's server doesn't have everything. Even using Steam Limiter it sometimes still seems to count against my quota.

Pricing error? Most likely. Either that or very close to expiry so they are clearing them out. Still, at $20 for 24 beers you can't go too far wrong!
Yeah, I saw them at my local for $2 each a little while ago, I remembered I liked them before so picked up a couple.

The L'Inbranata is quite nice - it's got a lemony flavour to it which is good, but it's a little syrupy and they haven't masked much of the sweetness, which at only 6.4% they should've done a better job. If you don't let it warm up much, then it's a quite drinkable beer. I'd say 3/5. At $20 for a 24-pack, it's a pretty easy decision (plus if you brew you get 24 bottles cheap!)

Yeah, I saw them at my local for $2 each a little while ago, I remembered I liked them before so picked up a couple.

The L'Inbranata is quite nice - it's got a lemony flavour to it which is good, but it's a little syrupy and they haven't masked much of the sweetness, which at only 6.4% they should've done a better job. If you don't let it warm up much, then it's a quite drinkable beer. I'd say 3/5. At $20 for a 24-pack, it's a pretty easy decision (plus if you brew you get 24 bottles cheap!)

Nice, the Cod tick of approval!

Danoss

Ha! I went and saw Millencolin at one of the Soundwave sideshows a few weeks ago and have been on a 90's skate punk binge since.

I saw them years ago, around the release of Home from Home and they lived up their then-reputation of not being very good live. It wasn't awful, but not great. No idea what they're like now, I haven't followed them since Kingwood.

Millencolin had a lot of solid albums, but Pennybridge Pioneers was the pinnacle for sure. Hadn't listened to them for quite a now, but I'm appreciative of the nudge to listen again.

Apple watch, starting price $500 haha no, and you need to charge it every day.

Having used a Pebble for a while now (actually after Shaneus and a couple of others reminded me of its existence at a time when I was looking for a watch with multiple alarms that wasn't overpriced or overly big) I've been expecting the Apple watch to be a dud. Since it's Apple, it's also an overpriced dud—costing only slightly less than my Nexus 5 and Pebble Steel combined (likely more once exchange rates are factored in) and offering less in return. One day per charge is laughable when Pebble markets a seven day battery life and I frequently get ten.

A smartwatch may not be a a necessity but, being as forgetful as I am, I like being notified of reminders, alerts, or important phone calls pop up on my wrist so I don't miss them if I leave my phone in another room or don't hear them going off in my pocket. It's made a significant difference and more.

The Pebble team seem to understand that there isn't a need to replicate smartphone capabilities on our wrist, that's what a smartphone is for. A smartwatch should be a supplement, not another distraction. It should also be visible in both bright and dim light, like watches have for many years. Apple doesn't seem to get this and instead of solving perceived problems, they're creating real ones that are solved by not purchasing their watch in the first place.

The Apple watch will still sell, because the marketing will be convincing to many. It wouldn't surprise me if the kickstarter currently running for the new Pebble was timed to capture a number of those who are underwhelmed or outright disappointed by the Apple watch.

You guys like beer right? Of course you do!

In my weekly price scouring hunt I found Dan Murphy's selling a carton of italian craft beers for $20: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_769277/birra-del-borgo-inbranata

Pricing error? Most likely. Either that or very close to expiry so they are clearing them out. Still, at $20 for 24 beers you can't go too far wrong!

Shit for $20 I'll throw a slab in the beer fridge.
If it sucks I can hand it out to plebs (friends) at the next BBQ do :p

EDIT: Anyone ever tried BeerPal app?

http://beerpal.com.au/

Deeku

doubt i'll get the apple watch

new macbook is pretty cool, but don't think I'll get it to replace my old macbook pro

hmm, wait for a full refresh of the macbook pro line i guess..

Ooh. Once I've drunk my way through the selection at this new place I've discovered, I'll totes give that a go :)

Wait, no I won't. iOS only. Fucking clowns.

I guess I'm the Apple guinea pig who's going to GAF-Review this bitch...I'll update tomorrow after a quick shop.

Kritz

Banned
big ups to adam for the indian food tonight. To my great surprise, I enjoyed it, and am now considering a fulltime career in saying I've never eaten food to get people to pay for it.

if you ever want to experience the world of white bread and vegemite, I'll shout you next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom