• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Reminds me of when I really thought about people saying they got "gyp'd"...

i had to actively retrain my brain to not say gypped.

Managed to avoid the 'that's so gay' slur through most of hs though so never had to think much about not using that

Dead Man

LOL guys. Maybe it isn't now, but it was for years. It does feel a bit like a bunch of straight people telling me it's okay to use gay as an insult because they don't mean anything homophobic by it. Every dictionary I looked up had it listed as a homosexual slur. But I will believe you and will drop it.

Except that shite from Jase. You just watch yourself, sonny.

LOL guys. Maybe it isn't now, but it was for years. It does feel a bit like a bunch of straight people telling me it's okay to use gay as an insult because they don't mean anything homophobic by it. Every dictionary I looked up had it listed as a homosexual slur. But I will believe you and will drop it.

Except that shite from Jase. You just watch yourself, sonny.
Not straight, not saying it isn't a meaning, and not saying the currently more common meaning didn't stem from homophobia.

Deeku

is poof on the level of f word offensive, in terms of gay slurs? cos every time i hear poof i can't help but laugh. it's a funny word!

Jintor

calling something unmanly is a dumb insult anyway

is poof on the level of f word offensive, in terms of gay slurs? cos every time i hear poof i can't help but laugh. it's a funny word!

s pretty derogatory

i've never heard poof by itself though. usually pooftah.

i think galah is a funnier word anyway

Danoss

Poof/poofter is derogatory and intended to offend as far as I'm aware, and always has been. A number of gay friends I know use it to refer to themselves, but that's clearly not a license to use it.

It is a funny word though, I agree.

Edit: Pouf/pouffe I used to feel bad using, since it sounds the same, but I've gotten over it. Replacing it with ‘ottoman’ and ‘footstool’ to dodge the issue doesn't really work as they're not necessarily the same thing.

Roulette

Can I get in on this Pinball malarkey?

Can't see the rest of your scores, but I have 35M on Starfighter Assault. My World War Hulk might be up there, too.

Quote for my steam ID.

ID - perspicacity; Profile Name - Roulette

Also, poof is like a Fisher Price My First Slur.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my main issue with "poof(tah)" is that it just sounds so gross with an Australian accent

like, euphonically, not semantically

I hear it and want to hop on the next plane to Not-Australian-Accent.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Here's a question someone might know the answer to.

So the show Powers started on US PSN today with a free episode for everyone, and the rest of the show free to Plus members.

Is it possible to watch the free video content from the US psn? I tried earlier today and got this error: "this cannot cannot be selected at this time".

So I guess I need a VPN or to encourage getflix to do its magic on the PSN.

So us Aus PSN users can't watch Powers?

You can VPN it but I'm hearing some don't work. Don't worry though, you aren't missing out on much. Such a terrible TV show.

my main issue with "poof(tah)" is that it just sounds so gross with an Australian accent

like, euphonically, not semantically

I hear it and want to hop on the next plane to Not-Australian-Accent.

oh I don't think I've heard of this before. Though after looking it up, cacophony at least certainly sounds familiar. Didn't know what it was called but did always enjoy pleasant sounding words. Pulchritudinous is the best word in terms of cacophony though because of its unexpected meaning.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, "euphonically" probably isn't an actual word. I'm lazy. "Euphony", on the other hand? Yum.

c3f9d_poof-magazine.jpg

No one made a big deal when Sucker Punch had Poof Mart as a store in inFamous 2 but then poof/poofter is more of an UK, Australia, NZ expression. I'm not sure it's really used elsewhere- certainly not in America where use of the word poof is onomatopoeic (ie it's basically a sound effect as in "he disappeared- poof!- in a puff of smoke")

I still kinda laugh when Monkey calls someone a poofter in one episode and this was shown in a G rated timeslot for years but the ABC used to censor language from The Goodies.

Pansy was always used as "effeminate."

You could bugger someone and in the old days you would gone to jail, or you could bugger something up and that wouldn't be a big deal, nor would calling a misbehaving child a little bugger with no repercussions. That really wasn't thought through very well, was it?

There's actually a really good show on the ABC about this sort of thing hosted by one of the guys from The Chase. I can't recall its name but it's on saturday nights.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
In modern usage, bugger is more a replacement for "fuck" than anything.

And I've never, ever heard "pansy" used as a gay slur. It's basically a PG version of "pussy".

Bernbaum

I see Gaz has retreated to Steam to avoid the schlacking that I set upon him on the 360. You can't hide for ever, Gaz. You have forced me to finally install PinballFX on Steam. Enjoy the respite you had because I just sent you a friend request on said gaming platform.

IGNORING THIS REQUEST WILL ONLY GO TO PROVE YOU AS A PINBALL COWARD!!! DO NOT TRY TO AVOID BY SUPERIOR ABILITY TO MANIPULATE BALLS TO A PLEASING RESULT!!! YOU HAVE HEREBY BEEN "CALLED OUT" IN A WAY THAT SHALL BRING SHAME AND, UPON MY CERTAIN VICTORY OVER YOUR LESS-THAN-MASCULINE SCORES, WILL BRING FURTHER TAUNTS USING FEMALE COMPARISONS AS A WAY TO DEMEAN YOU!!!

You have one too, Bern. If you beat my scores I will unfriend you.

If that isn't motivation I don't know what is...

You know what transcends platforms?

GOOGLE DOCUMENTS SPREADSHEETS

Shaneus

Beat both Bern and Gaz on the Hulk and Jedi (first games on each too, lollers), beat Bernie on Avengers but I just didn't have the stamina/patience to put together anything on Avengers.

And the game runs really strangely on my PC for some reason, not smooth at all :/

Oh, didn't put up anything on Starfighter Assault either, was getting tiring to play. Did have a bit of fun overall though!

Bernbaum

Beat both Bern and Gaz on the Hulk and Jedi (first games on each too, lollers), beat Bernie on Avengers but I just didn't have the stamina/patience to put together anything on Avengers.

And the game runs really strangely on my PC for some reason, not smooth at all :/

Oh, didn't put up anything on Starfighter Assault either, was getting tiring to play. Did have a bit of fun overall though!

ulvA70O.gif

Jesus cuntfucking Christ Shaneus why you gotta play us like that.

I now hate pinball. Pinball is for nerds. Fuck pinball. Hey Gaz, wanna go play pogs?

Dead Man

In modern usage, bugger is more a replacement for "fuck" than anything.

And I've never, ever heard "pansy" used as a gay slur. It's basically a PG version of "pussy".

Try searching google for 'pansy slur' and tell me if that is he way most people are using it, or a convenient related meaning fuckwits can hide behind?

I find it pretty offensive, but I am more than willing to admit I am in the minority on GAF. But please don't tell me your anecdotes about how it's used as if that excuses all the shitty fucking times I've heard it used as a slur.

Try searching google for 'pansy slur' and tell me if that is he way most people are using it, or a convenient related meaning fuckwits can hide behind?

I find it pretty offensive, but I am more than willing to admit I am in the minority on GAF. But please don't tell me your anecdotes about how it's used as if that excuses all the shitty fucking times I've heard it used as a slur.

Hey don't take my post as making light of it, just noting I didn't know it was a slur and will from here on out note it as such.

Dead Man

Hey don't take my post as making light of it, just noting I didn't know it was a slur and will from here on out note it as such.

Sorry, wasn't aimed at you, and didn't mean to come across as angry as I may have at you, Industrian.

Apologies all, continue with your normal programming.

I don't think anyone here's trying to be deliberately offensive, Dead Man. Maybe with one exception.

The world today is incredibly different to 10- 20-30 years ago. Not everyone catches up on every issue at the same speed. The stupid shit I said as a kid, as well as the stupid shit that was said to me when i was a kid- I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.

tumblr_inline_nj2w6zKt8m1rkde24.gif

Deeku

This was an informative discussion!

Yeah, basically all those words I said during school/high school (and in my case a bit during uni lol!) are all pretty bad. I mean, calling Air Cadets at school Airy Fairies is probably more offensive than harmless fun poking now that I think about it.

Jintor

The other bad one that even now still occasionally escapes my lips is 'retarded'. I catch myself using it once in a blue moon and have to wrench it out of my head.

some of the stuff that gets into your head when you're a tyke is pretty shit really

Gazunta

You know, all this pinball talk reminds me of a story from my past...

I can't remember when we first met - at a party? at some work thing? It's so long ago now - but I do remember how we first really got to know each other: we played pinball a lot. There was a bar nearby that had all sorts of old machines - a couple of classic pinball tables, even one of those re-purposed MAME cabinets they now sell in the shops for way too much money nowdays. We kept crossing paths there, one of us either having a quiet lunch (they had a fantastic schnitzel, of course) or pouring more money into the pinballs, so eventually we got to talking.

We both liked the same kind of music. We both hated the same popular culture fads that everyone else seemed to like. We both liked to read, and, of course, we both really liked pinball. It's no surprise that we eventually became friends. The random encounters at the bar became less random, and, look, we're all friends here so I don't mind admitting this, they became the highlight of my week, the one bright spot I looked forward to. It was really nice hanging out with someone I cared about and didn't judge and had lots in common with.

"I really like watching you play pinball", I remember hearing her say one day, "you're always joking and laughing, but when you play pinball and smash someone else's high score you're...determined. Focused. Passionate." I looked up from the table, and saw the fire in her eyes. I knew that things had changed, now, somehow. I told her that she made me see life in a whole different way. That I never got tired around her. That I was just flat out crazy for her. That I loved her and wanted her.

She told me she wanted me too, and I was to take her home right after I finished playing the current game.

"SURE THING, BERNBAUM'S MOM" I said as I broke Bernbaum's fucking Boba Fett score like it was nothing.

Gazunta

And in related news, when I fired up Pinball FX 2 tonight there was a fleeting moment when I had some tables I was the best at before Steam started updating the leaderboards with Shaneus' scores and fucking wrecked my shit. It was a nice moment though.

And yeah, anyone that wants to join in the fun just add us on Steam! I'm Gazunta on Steam BTW.

But yeah Bern and I are gonna play Pogs in the backyard now fuck this shit. ;)

Bernbaum

You know, all this pinball talk reminds me of a story from my past...

I can't remember when we first met - at a party? at some work thing? It's so long ago now - but I do remember how we first really got to know each other: we played pinball a lot. There was a bar nearby that had all sorts of old machines - a couple of classic pinball tables, even one of those re-purposed MAME cabinets they now sell in the shops for way too much money nowdays. We kept crossing paths there, one of us either having a quiet lunch (they had a fantastic schnitzel, of course) or pouring more money into the pinballs, so eventually we got to talking.

We both liked the same kind of music. We both hated the same popular culture fads that everyone else seemed to like. We both liked to read, and, of course, we both really liked pinball. It's no surprise that we eventually became friends. The random encounters at the bar became less random, and, look, we're all friends here so I don't mind admitting this, they became the highlight of my week, the one bright spot I looked forward to. It was really nice hanging out with someone I cared about and didn't judge and had lots in common with.

"I really like watching you play pinball", I remember hearing her say one day, "you're always joking and laughing, but when you play pinball and smash someone else's high score you're...determined. Focused. Passionate." I looked up from the table, and saw the fire in her eyes. I knew that things had changed, now, somehow. I told her that she made me see life in a whole different way. That I never got tired around her. That I was just flat out crazy for her. That I loved her and wanted her.

She told me she wanted me too, and I was to take her home right after I finished playing the current game.

"SURE THING, BERNBAUM'S MOM" I said as I broke Bernbaum's fucking Boba Fett score like it was nothing.

holy shit i laughed!

The other bad one that even now still occasionally escapes my lips is 'retarded'. I catch myself using it once in a blue moon and have to wrench it out of my head.

some of the stuff that gets into your head when you're a tyke is pretty shit really
Yeah when I started dating my wife I dropped that one as she worked with disabled people and said it was an insult to them. Although I got yelled at a few weeks ago for using the term disabled so I just say him/her now to avoid trouble.
I only ever used it in a negative way so it made sense to drop it, never used it like 'wicked' or 'gnarly' like the old farts in here might have.

c word only slips out among a certain group of friends, I probably wouldn't even use it there but that group use it quite regularly as a term of endearment. Again, I was lucky to never hear it in a negative way used against a women, so it hadn't developed a stigma at the time.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
This reminds me of the time I was doing a uni project at a spinal rehab centre. Dude in our group rocked up late, and I was like "mate, what's with the tardiness"

He went off at me for being offensive.

Holy shit. What a dumb cunt.

Bernbaum

WbWMldX.jpg

Hey Gaz see that vessel in the background?

That is the Slave I spaceship.

It belongs to Boba Fett.

It is the same spaceship that the frozen body of Han Solo was transported in to Jabba the Hutt's Palace, aka YOUR MUM'S HOUSE.

You and I are so much more civil when enjoying a neighborly game of pogs. Why does this bring out the worst in us?

Jintor

This reminds me of the time I was doing a uni project at a spinal rehab centre. Dude in our group rocked up late, and I was like "mate, what's with the tardiness"

He went off at me for being offensive.

Holy shit. What a dumb cunt.

lol, amazing

good thing he wasn't being a cheapass and you called him 'niggardly'! imagine the scene

jambo

And in related news, when I fired up Pinball FX 2 tonight there was a fleeting moment when I had some tables I was the best at before Steam started updating the leaderboards with Shaneus' scores and fucking wrecked my shit. It was a nice moment though.

And yeah, anyone that wants to join in the fun just add us on Steam! I'm Gazunta on Steam BTW.

What tables are you guys playing?

The DLC is rather confusingly titled...

Danoss

I use it plenty, especially in the summer. Because when it's hot and I'm painting miniatures, I like the drying time to be at least a little retarded.

ctTwRri.jpg

It's also useful for wet blending.

WbWMldX.jpg

Hey Gaz see that vessel in the background?

That is the Slave I spaceship.

It belongs to Boba Fett.

It is the same spaceship that the frozen body of Han Solo was transported in to Jabba the Hutt's Palace, aka YOUR MUM'S HOUSE.

You and I are so much more civil when enjoying a neighborly game of pogs. Why does this bring out the worst in us?

You guys are so much more better at this than I am, but I have about 11,000,000 on this table. I'm not far off.

Added. This will give me something to do when I'm off work next week.

Stackboy

Anyone still playing GTAV online on PS4? The new heists stuff sound cool and they've brought in tons of features which make playing online a lot more fun. I actually enjoy playing random races and jobs now, I don't have to wait in the lobby for it to fill up. I can keep running around in the open world and then when the lobby has enough players it pulls me in. Really cool. Plus daily challenges and all that kind of fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom